Mr Obama's Acceptence Speech

Started by Cherri Tart, August 29, 2008, 02:59:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cherri Tart

Tonight, we watched Barrack Obama's aceptence speech for the democratic nomination and i was moved, for the first time, to think that i will be able to vote for someone who i believe in.  I don't have words right now to explain the feeling, but this will be the third presidental election that i've been of age to vote in and the first that i truly believe in one of the candidates.  For anyone curious, the full text of it can be found here.

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2008/8/28/225345/447

I'm not normally all the political, but suddenly i find myself wanting to do something and hoping that the change he talks about is possible and I know people get cynical about this kind of stuff, saying that he's just saying it to get elected, but i believe his sincerity - i just do and i just want that belief to be heard. 
you were never able to keep me breathing as the water rises up again

O/O, Cherri Flavored

Vekseid

"As someone who watched my mother argue with insurance companies while she lay in bed, dying of cancer."

I think, regardless of anything else people claim, no matter what they say he says he means, on that issue at least, I can trust that it is personal for him.

I'm not going to make the statement that Barack Obama makes me feel confident about every last one of his decisions, or plans. I don't think his tax break plan will go through as smoothly as he claims.

Bernie Sanders made a nice little rant that I posted here:

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=19888.0

I honestly think we're going to see the end of the Republican party as it's currently formed... I certainly hope so. The sort of mentality where you can make fun of a military award by putting it on a band-aid and consider that acceptable and jocular, vote to invade a country that didn't attack us and vote against giving the troops sent proper body armor or health care.

The Republican party is not about defending America. I don't believe that line any longer. It's an engine whose sole purpose is to drive more wealth to a few hundred thousand Americans at the expense of millions - not just in the United States but around the world.

Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of corrupt democrats. There's a reason for the Orange to Blue program, and regardless of what the corporate welfare surrogates in Washington want to hope, that movement is only going to get stronger - a lot stronger - over the next decade.

And perhaps, one day, maybe not under Obama's term, but not too long for now, we will have an elected body who understands what the 'servant' part of civil servant really means.

Sherona

Frankly we should just scrap the whole Democrat-Republican mentality. Too many people vote Democrat JUST because they are registered as Democrat, because their parents were democrats etc and so forth, same wtih Republican (I was seriously once told I could not possibly be republican because I was not rich enough....yeah..anyway) I don't agree with either parties candidates. And unfortunately any other party really is kind of a joke as everyone knows that its either going to be a Dem or Rep. *Shrugs*

Perhaps I am too jaded to participate in this conversation as I am of the opinion that Obama does not have the experiance, and McCain..well lets just /not/ go there ok hehee. I think that Obama is sincere in the fact that he /believes/ his words, I just think he is too green behind the ears to lose the naivete' he shows, as Veks said, wtih the tax break plan that I do not think will work as well as he is claiming.

CassandraNova

Quote from: Sherona on August 29, 2008, 07:11:14 AM
Perhaps I am too jaded to participate in this conversation as I am of the opinion that Obama does not have the experiance...

I've always been troubled by the lack of experience argument against Obama's candidacy.  If you're simply talking about the number of years he'd held elected office, that's one thing, but if you mean executive experience such as held by a governor or mayor of a large city, then his opponent similarly lacks that experience, having only served in the Senate.

Sherona

Quote from: CassandraNova on August 29, 2008, 09:22:45 AM
I've always been troubled by the lack of experience argument against Obama's candidacy.  If you're simply talking about the number of years he'd held elected office, that's one thing, but if you mean executive experience such as held by a governor or mayor of a large city, then his opponent similarly lacks that experience, having only served in the Senate.

I am in no way Pro-mccain etiher just an fyi :P both parties are sadly lacking imo.

RubySlippers

I watched it too as a Libertarian and looking at the platform and the party line what matters where is the talk about the one huge gorila in the room- the continual bedget deficits and huge national debt. No one in his party or the other cares to make the huge cuts and reforms that are needed to fix that. Not to mention reform Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security etc, etc. Make fun of Libertarians and other third party supporters we put everything out there and talk about it and have the guts to do it unlike these respective major parties that say nothing of value and do less.

Its clear to me what has to be done and its simple you balance the budget THEN since we pay 9% of our budget a year just on the interest on the debt we must at least double that to start the long process of buying much of that debt off. We have to cut Federal spending hard and likely raise taxes to do that at this point. Yet no one gets that or they are too afraid to make that a hard debate point so both parties and their leaders are WRONG. I like Obama as a man and feel he has values that I can support but his party is just as wrong as the Republicans so why should I support them at this point? I don't support the other party either they are worse IMHO by still not enough of a reason to pick the lesser of two evils.

Cherri Tart

the experience thing.  Sure, Obama doesn't have the experience, but hey, George Bush did.  Jimmy Carter did.  A lot of past presidents had plenty of experience.  That didn't make them good presidents.  Maybe we need someone in the white house who isn't jaded, who doesn't believe that there's just one way to do things because that's the way they've always been done.  His running mate has 35 years of experience, and i'm sure he'll pick people around him with lots of experience to advise him.  As he said, Abraham lincoln had as little experience as he does and isn't he one of the most revered presidents in our history?  Come to that, George Washington didn't have ANY experience!
you were never able to keep me breathing as the water rises up again

O/O, Cherri Flavored

WyldRanger

I'm going to agree with Cherri for the most part here. The thing I like about Obama (now there are things I don't like about him, but no candidate is going to be perfect so I'm not going to go there right now), is his enthusiasm for at least TRYING to change things.

McCain's people (not necessarily himself, but a lot of his supporters) are decrying his youthful idealism. But that's how anything changes in this county is that people who aren't getting what they deserve get vocal and make their plight known, otherwise nothing ever changes. For good or bad, at least he's trying something. And I like his VP pick being someone who has some experience with Washington politics to assist Obama in his choices.

Ok, enough of politics, I've said my piece and I'm out  :P

Trieste

For my part, I'm watching him and thinking "Well... this is the guy I'm probably going to vote for... I really hope he does a good job." It's a very helpless and not very pleasant feeling...

ShrowdedPoet

My opinion?  I'm not REALLY for either party though if I were to vote dem or rep I would vote dem.  But Obama seems like what the country needs. . .is he green behind the ears?  Yes!  And I don't care about his experience or lack there of!  How many VERY experienced politicians have we seen take up the presidency and F everything up?  WAY back when everyone was fairly inexperience in politics I don't think we had as many problems. . .of course things have changed alot since then so that's not technically a good argument and I'm not really trying to argue the point just offer my opinion.  But I think his lack of experience is a non-issue and people are blowing it up bigger than it really is.  Will I vote for Obama over who I have been giving my vote and support to since the whole mess started. . .Maybe.  I see potential and I'm starting to warm to him.  I see something that I like and I see possibility and I see, what this country needs more than anything IMO, HOPE!  So, maybe I will vote for Obama, maybe not. . .but he has got my attention. . .and it's not the bad kind either. . .
Kiss the hand that beats you.
Sexuality isn't a curse, it's a gift to embrace and explore!
Ons and Offs

Vekseid

I'm technically a registered libertarian, myself. However, the Republican party is not the party of fiscal conservatism - McCain actually intends to raise the debt by 1.4 trillion more than Obama, for example - and that's assuming Obama makes not a whit of good on his promise to clean out the bureaucratic version of the Augean Stables.

If it were the McCain of 2000 running, if he hadn't become the Bush whipping boy, there wouldn't be a contest, here. But he's not, either something has happened to his mind (like Bush - Bush was a much more articulate governor) or he's just given up on any sense of principal.

National Acrobat

Quote from: Vekseid on August 29, 2008, 03:16:17 PM
I'm technically a registered libertarian, myself. However, the Republican party is not the party of fiscal conservatism - McCain actually intends to raise the debt by 1.4 trillion more than Obama, for example - and that's assuming Obama makes not a whit of good on his promise to clean out the bureaucratic version of the Augean Stables.

If it were the McCain of 2000 running, if he hadn't become the Bush whipping boy, there wouldn't be a contest, here. But he's not, either something has happened to his mind (like Bush - Bush was a much more articulate governor) or he's just given up on any sense of principal.

I agree 100% here. I know that McCain will spend, and I know that Obama says he will not raise taxes, but given how Obama likes the idea of expanding social programs, I am absolutely convinced that he cannot propose doing that without raising taxes. As it is, if he wants to cut down on bureaucracy and waste, that will include cutting spending, eliminating programs and trimming government agencies. I have heard both candidates say this, but I don't believe it.

Also, both are Senators, so they both have to realize that they can dream and talk about everything that they want to do, but there are two considerations they have to deal with, that never seem to get mentioned.

1-They have to work with Congress. They can't get anything done without Congress' help, and that involves making compromises and giving to get. It won't be easy for either to get anything done without giving something in return.

2-State's rights, and overstepping Federal Bounds. There are already tons of critics and revolts among state Legislatures in regards to Federal Programs (No Child Left Behind is a good start) and this plays into things as well.

Mathim

I wish it was as simple as the rich vote vs. the poor vote, because the winner would be obvious. But some people don't understand how badly voting for the wrong person for the wrong reasons will hurt them and those around them. Like all those truck drivers with Confederate flags in the back windows who won't vote for a black man even if it means they'll be out of a job because of it or whatever other consequence, that kind of thing has just got to stop.

I like what Obama says, but I do find it hard to believe he'll be able to accomplish what he says, at least, without being assassinated. I would really like to see him achieve his goals but no matter what good he wants to do, it's going to cost the people, heavily. That's the Bush legacy, though. Too bad people are going to be blaming the wrong person, the one who has to clean up his mess. Talk about shooting the messenger...
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Vekseid

Quote from: National Acrobat on August 29, 2008, 03:38:21 PM
I agree 100% here. I know that McCain will spend, and I know that Obama says he will not raise taxes, but given how Obama likes the idea of expanding social programs, I am absolutely convinced that he cannot propose doing that without raising taxes. As it is, if he wants to cut down on bureaucracy and waste, that will include cutting spending, eliminating programs and trimming government agencies. I have heard both candidates say this, but I don't believe it.

Public health care can have the effect of costing less when expanded:

1: Healthier people are more productive
2: People with access to public health care can afford to go early, when the situation is not an emergency. This does not just make treatment in general less expensive, it also reduces the load on those who provide emergency care
3: Access to public health care pulls the rug out of a number of forms of lawsuits

This of course would be best combined with other health care reforms, such as tossing doctors after their second malpractice violation.

But don't outright assume expanding a program will make it cost more.

Trieste