Looking to play Star Wars SAGA

Started by FragarachZ, July 07, 2015, 03:22:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FragarachZ

Hello dear people of Elliquiy!

I was getting back into Star Wars mood lately and wondered if anyone were up to run a system game set sometime between the movie trilogies, basically during the dark times of the empire. I'd like one of the major parts of the story to be avoiding imperial entanglements, perhaps the characters are ex-jedi, early rebels or just outlaws the authorities would want to round up. Trying to get past checkpoints and cargo inspections might involve bluffing, bribing, or misdirecting authorities. Perhaps the ship captain has to distract the stormtroopers from finding contraband or their identities until a female crewmember blows their commanding officer to persuade him to let them pass? Or the party might seek shelter in the underworld of crime lords, where they have to lay low pretending to be bounty hunters and dancers? Maybe they're in a race to find as much remaining records and knowledge of the now extinct jedi as they can, to hide it from the inquisition for when there might be a chance for rebuilding the order? In which case the empire's agents might have just the sexual interrogation techniques to make a captured character talk...and moan? So many possibilities, so many ideas... but ultimately I'd be down with playing almost any type of scenario as long as it's not during the prime of the jedi order. Honestly I think space samurai wizards are cool, but being one should mean an immense risk.
If a GM would have interest in running a SAGA game along (or close) to any of these, I'd be more than happy to play. Heck I'd be even up to play through dawn of defiance, perhaps with a bit less filler parts, and a little bit of sexy thrown in.
I also don't mind streamlining play a bit to make it easier to run a system game on the forum, but I would like it to be a system game using saga.

Many thanks if anyone's interested. :)
O&O

Muse

This is something I would love to play as well.  (Or just about any other star wars game.) 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

KirbysFolly

I just signed up for another Star Wars game, but I would be all over a system-based one, especially set during the time period mentioned in Frag's post.

Cassandra LeMay

I am rather tempted to offer my services as a GM, as I was thinking about maybe starting an interest check for a SW Saga game anyway. But I would deviate in some important aspects from the ideas in the opening post. So if you folks want to wait a little and see if someone else offers a game more in line with the original request that's fine by me.

Here's what I could offer:

Time period: A few months after the battle of Endor. The Empire is slowly beginning to fall apart and split into factions, while the Rebel Alliance gathers its forces and slowly begins to liberate imperial star systems.
Setting: A small sector (something like 8-10 inhabited systems) under imperial control.
The Players: A group of Rebel operatives (can be rebel soldiers, political dissidents, or hired help) on a mission to scout the sector and make contact with local dissidents, gather information on imperial personnel and ship strength, engage in acts of sabotage, and whatever else it takes to pave the way for an eventual Alliance assault on the sector.
Content: Action adventure; sexy smexy scenes with NPCs probably few and far between, as I'm not all that interested in writing sex scenes. Doesn't mean it can't happen at all, but don't expect too much in the smut department.

If someone else volunteers to run a game in the Rise of the Empire period I would be happy to play in that game. It's just not what I, personally, would run as a GM.
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

FragarachZ

I like the setting of your adventure Cassandra LeMay.

I'd be interested in playing in your game as long as canon heroes don't show up to hog all the spotlight (seeing how this is closer to the movie eras) and your setting of imperial controlled space is its own sandbox we get to discover and play in. Not sure if I like the idea of casually slipping out of imperial space and highfiveing Luke Skywalker for bringing the primary threat of our time to its knees. I'd like the shadow cast by the Empire to still be a threat and oppressing force that would require skill and cunning to maneuver past.
O&O

Muse

I'd enjoy that setting, Cas.  If you decide to run it, please count me in. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: FragarachZ on July 09, 2015, 05:08:50 AM
I like the setting of your adventure Cassandra LeMay.
Just call me Cass.  :-)

Quote from: FragarachZ on July 09, 2015, 05:08:50 AMI'd be interested in playing in your game as long as canon heroes don't show up to hog all the spotlight (seeing how this is closer to the movie eras) and your setting of imperial controlled space is its own sandbox we get to discover and play in. Not sure if I like the idea of casually slipping out of imperial space and highfiveing Luke Skywalker for bringing the primary threat of our time to its knees. I'd like the shadow cast by the Empire to still be a threat and oppressing force that would require skill and cunning to maneuver past.
If there will be any high-fiving it will be Luke congratulating you on a job well done. I have no intention whatsoever of having the canon characters show up (except maybe Admiral Ackbar or General Madine or someone like that for the initial mission briefing, to drive home that this mission is important). This will be the players' mission(s), period. If I ever need a deus-ex-machina it will be an ally the characters made during one of their adventures, and not one of the canon heroes.

Quote from: Muse on July 09, 2015, 05:20:46 AM
  I'd enjoy that setting, Cas.  If you decide to run it, please count me in.
Count on me counting you in.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

FragarachZ

Yeah I'd rather keep it mostly if not entirely original. Still I'm itching to be on the player side of the table for once and not quote Palpatine every 5 minutes. OK, count me in.
O&O

Cassandra LeMay

Alright then ... Now, how to proceed ... I think it might be best to work out a few small details here, before I put out a general interest check. I usually don't play favorites, and this is kinda a new situation for me. But since you guys were here first I think you should have dibs on crew positions, character roles, and so on.

So who does want to play what kind of character?

I am thinking about level 6 for starting characters, with point-build attributes (30 points maybe? not sure yet). Level 5 characters would also be fine by me, or a mix of level 5 and 6. I figure if someone is a bit uncertain about their character they could make a level 5 character with enough XP to bring them to level 6 after one or two short missions. That might allow more flexibility and opportunities to adjust a character to what the group needs after we get to know characters and setting better. But level 6 with just enough XP for that level is fine by me too.
Or would you folks rather roll your stats, instead of point-buy? I could live ith a 4d6, count best 3, place as desired stat creation method, as long as no one tries to cheat so obviously that I have to feel insulted.  :P

Also. since you guys will be having your own ship I'll have to decide what ship you'll get. Maybe just PM me with one aspect you consider most important for the ship? (speed, offense, defense, maneuverability, something else) There are several options I have in mind, but some players input can't hurt.

Oh, and as for races, rules, and so on: I would like characters to be build with only the core rules feats, classes, and talents. That puts everyone on an equal footing, no matter what rulebooks they have, and it makes things easier for me. Races you can take from other rulebooks, but clear that with me first, please.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

Muse

Would 39 point buy be too much?  Maybe 36? 

Oh... 

Core rules feats and talents takes out some of the options I like.  For example, a martial artist is a lot more competitive with the talent that lets them apply their strength modifier twice.  Still stuff I can work with.  When we get to prestige class level, will that be included? 

Will force using characters be acceptable?  We're still early enouhg in the story taht Jedi should be pretty rare it sounds like.  Personaly I usualy don't use a force using character.  (After all, SOMEONE'S got to not use the force.  :P  )  But I imagine people would want to know. 

Cassandra LeMay

I think I could be persuaded to allow a 36 point build, but I may call for a limit of 1 or 2 stats above a certain number. It's something I might have to sleep on, but I might end up placing some limits on max stat levels, to prevent a character from completely outshining those who go for a balanced build. But do points really matter, as long as your character is the strongest, fastest, smartest, whatever in the group, no matter how many points everyone gets to build their character?

Prestige classes are a bridge we will cross when we reach it, but my first instinct is to say that taking a prestige class should require some in-character actions and gameplay events anyway. You don't become a Crime Lord if you never had any dealings with the underworld, don't become an Ace Pilot if you never sat in a fighter cockpit, and so on. If someone really works toward acquiring some prestige class skills and talents I will not stand in his way, but if someone intends to take a Prestige Class at their next level I would ask them to let me know well in advance so I can take a close look at that class and figure out how best to work it into the game.

The Force... Good question... Right now I am thinking more about adventures and the setting, but ... Yes. Force Sensitivity is a feat like any other. If you want to take it, take it. Levels as a Jedi, now that's a different matter. In a setting like this I woul say you can take half (rounded down) your levels as a Jedi - provided you have a background that makes sense of it. If you want to take more than that as Jedi levels I might require a character to be old enough to have received some initial training during the times of the Old Republic. That could mean being 'old age' and having your stats adjusted according to table 7-2 (p.110) "Aging Effects".

@FragarachZ: This is still your interest check, so the moment you want me to take this to another thread, you just say so and it will be done.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

FragarachZ

Levels 5-6 in my experience are perfect for a small group starting out. If we start with 5th level and earn 6th after one or two short missions, it gives a general feat which can represent the characters growing and adapting to their new environment and situation within the game mechanics. If we start at 6th, we're closer to the more specialized and archetypical prestiege classes that the heroes can achieve. Either point buy or rolling for attributes is fine with me. I'm good with as little or as many sourcebooks as the GM wants. For the ship, I guess it would also depend on who owns it? I love some of the classics, maybe with a bit of tweaking, that I'd like riding around, but I guess we get what we get.

For my character I'm thinking either
a) A force sensitive human, descent from clone war veteran jedi who deserted and went into hiding. He wouldn't have known of his heritage until very recently when his parents passed on. They did their best to shield him from the eyes of the galaxy, so he's a fringer and a greenhorn mercenary currently caught between two worlds. He believes the jedi way of old flawed (it must be if his parents left it), but is intrigued by the possibilities opened up by his untapped potential, even if he has trouble drawing it out for now. Depending on how we want the story to go he may or may not have inherited a lightsaber, a weapon he is fascinated with, just for the sheer amount of restraint and discimpline needed to even use it properly. He'd be eager to oppose the rebellion and is secretly angry with his family for keeping him out of the fight. (scout/soldier, maybe with a level of jedi mixed in if he picks up a saber. could go a force adepth path eventually, but he really, really likes those lightsabers)

b) A gearheaded alien spacer babe complete with her own ship and astrodroid sidekick that she likes to tinker with. She probably worked for the Alliance in the past either my smuggling personnel or medical supplies (not weapons though). She has a nasty scar on one side of her face she suffered years ago in an imperial attack. She was traumatized by the experience and is genuinely scared in combat or when confronted by imperials, making her prefer the safety of her ship and companions, and always trying to talk or cheat her way out of a situation, leaving fighting to others. While others would engage imperials in a brawl or firefight, she'd be hidden somewhere hacking a terminal to get her friends an edge. (noble/scoundrel most likely with lots of pluses in tech-based skills and piloting. definitely ace pilot material with the possibility of one of the techie prestiege classses long-term)

c) A martial artist and former holonet star who fought in the galactic championship, but because he is an alien was sabotaged by the empire at the time. He lost one of his arms and his career was ruined. He turned to alcohol and drugs, having a hard time getting back on his feet. A friend with connections to the rebels helped him out later, setting him up with a prosthetic arms that was salvaged and modified from a defunct super battledroid. He's now back to make the lives of imperial leadership miserable, either with a blaster or an iron fist. He enjoys punching troopers in the face. (soldier/noble focused on brawling and morale. martial arts material long term prestiege classwise, with maybe some upgrades to his droid arm?)
O&O

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: FragarachZ on July 09, 2015, 07:14:14 AM
Levels 5-6 in my experience are perfect for a small group starting out. If we start with 5th level and earn 6th after one or two short missions, it gives a general feat which can represent the characters growing and adapting to their new environment and situation within the game mechanics. If we start at 6th, we're closer to the more specialized and archetypical prestiege classes that the heroes can achieve. Either point buy or rolling for attributes is fine with me. I'm good with as little or as many sourcebooks as the GM wants. For the ship, I guess it would also depend on who owns it? I love some of the classics, maybe with a bit of tweaking, that I'd like riding around, but I guess we get what we get.
The Ghtroc 720 is definitely on my list, as are various YT models and the Kazellis light freighter. But another option would also be a frigatte-sized transport that can carry several speeder bikes and/or a landspeeder. Not a ship that would engage in dogfights, but it might still be an option.

Quote from: FragarachZ on July 09, 2015, 07:14:14 AMFor my character I'm thinking either
a) A force sensitive human, descent from clone war veteran jedi who deserted and went into hiding. ...

c) A martial artist and former holonet star who fought in the galactic championship, but because he is an alien was sabotaged by the empire at the time. ...
Have you thought about combining those two ideas? Someone who always felt his parents were hiding something from him and turned to the fighting circuit to escape from them, only to discover that there may be more to fighting than raw strength when his parents were killed? Maybe someone who discovered through a defeat that strength isn't all, the "boxing champ" beat by the "judo master"? Something like that that sets up an internal conflict between strength and discipline?

(Sonia Sotomayor)

FragarachZ

Okay, so...

A force sensitive human who was in the local dueling ring where he had a career early on because he felt his parents were secretive and overprotective with him and wanted to prove them wrong. Eventually he got unwanted attention and the Imperials wanted to pay him off and lose on purpose, that he refused. As a result, the Imperials ruined his career and almost killed him, but his father intervened. Seeing how his skill alone wouldn't save all the time the character started asking questions of his parents, realizing they were not colonists but jedi deserters. They left the clone wars and the jedi ways, but now that the character now of the force he needed some guidance at least. The character learned some basic, almost subconscious use of the Force to complement his skills, but after the passing of his parents had no one to give him any, least of all formal training. He would have eventually left the fringe world he was on and become a mercenary or spacer along others and got mixed up with a rebel contact.
I picture him sort of like Annikin Starkiller but with a more fringe/regular raising and no formal training, trying to find balance between skill and instinct stuck between two worlds.

or there's still the techie/pilot who has a paralyzing fear of personal combat and prefers being behind machines than before the enemy.

O&O

Cassandra LeMay

I'm fine with either character concept. As long as the bio answers when, where, why, and how the character got mixed up with the Rebellion I should be able to work with it. And the final bio doesn't have to be all that complex or detailed, if anyone has trouble coming up with details.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

FragarachZ

Ok, I'll try to see how I'd build the character then. Any source you want or don't want us to use?
O&O

KirbysFolly

Man, everything happens when I go to sleep.  :P

I'll go dig up my book and take a look at the classes, but I'd be interested in this new idea, too.

Edit- Thinking maybe former scout on a fringe world. Responsible for keeping wildlife away from the town, rescuing lost people, leading expeditions and such. When the Empire moved in to take things over, they saw first-hand the brutality and destructiveness of the Empire. No longer having any purpose at home, they left their homeworld, eventually ending up in contact with a member of the Rebel Alliance. From there, it was a natural move to turn their bitterness at the Empire into action against it.

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: FragarachZ on July 09, 2015, 12:32:14 PM
Ok, I'll try to see how I'd build the character then. Any source you want or don't want us to use?
As I said, for feats, talents, and so on, I'd like to stick with the core rulebook. If you want to play a race from one of the sourcebooks, be my guest. I have a couple of sourcebooks and if I don't have a book you take a race from I can probably find enough information online to look up what we are dealing with.

Quote from: KirbysFolly on July 09, 2015, 02:14:03 PM
Edit- Thinking maybe former scout on a fringe world. Responsible for keeping wildlife away from the town, rescuing lost people, leading expeditions and such. When the Empire moved in to take things over, they saw first-hand the brutality and destructiveness of the Empire. No longer having any purpose at home, they left their homeworld, eventually ending up in contact with a member of the Rebel Alliance. From there, it was a natural move to turn their bitterness at the Empire into action against it.
Sounds good to me. Maybe someone who helped your character get off that planet got you in touch with the Rebellion (or worked for it)? Might depend a bit on the circumstances of your scout leaving that planet. Did they just take the next ship out, was there some repression by the Empire they had to escape from in a hurry, etc.?

(Sonia Sotomayor)

FragarachZ

Quote from: Cassandra LeMay on July 09, 2015, 03:21:02 PM
As I said, for feats, talents, and so on, I'd like to stick with the core rulebook.

Okay, I'll keep to those then. Sorry I missed it before.
O&O

KirbysFolly

Quote from: Cassandra LeMay on July 09, 2015, 03:21:02 PM
Sounds good to me. Maybe someone who helped your character get off that planet got you in touch with the Rebellion (or worked for it)? Might depend a bit on the circumstances of your scout leaving that planet. Did they just take the next ship out, was there some repression by the Empire they had to escape from in a hurry, etc.?

Hmm. I'm thinking maybe they stuck around for a little while afterward. This gave them some time to see the Empire treat citizens poorly, and perhaps they complained about this (in semi-private, I think). An old friend let them know that the Imperials were going to pick them up, and they made a hasty exit from the planet, enlisting some help to get past the guards and such at the starport.

Ephiral

Just a minor warning from experience: I've (semi-accidentally; was going for strong but not overwhelming) snapped the game in half with a 36-point Force user before. Built properly, they only need one great and one good stat, and 36 points lets them get that without any deficiencies.

Edit: By way of useful advice, watch out for Cha total of 20+ with solid Wis, and especially for kinetic specialists. A well-built kineticist is amazing battlefield control, solid with a lightsaber, can end entire encounters in one round in the right circumstances, and has ridiculous endurance as a caster. (I literally never got down to 50% powers.)

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: Ephiral on July 09, 2015, 08:25:21 PM
Just a minor warning from experience: I've (semi-accidentally; was going for strong but not overwhelming) snapped the game in half with a 36-point Force user before. Built properly, they only need one great and one good stat, and 36 points lets them get that without any deficiencies.
Thanks for the warning.  :-)

I've rolled a few sets of attributes with the 4d6 method and got several good, solid sets that were the equivalent of a 33 or 34 point build. If that's what the dice turn up it can't be so bad for the point-buy method either, I guess.

Lets go with 33 points for character attributes.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

FragarachZ

Quote from: Ephiral on July 09, 2015, 08:25:21 PM

Edit: By way of useful advice, watch out for Cha total of 20+ with solid Wis, and especially for kinetic specialists. A well-built kineticist is amazing battlefield control, solid with a lightsaber, can end entire encounters in one round in the right circumstances, and has ridiculous endurance as a caster. (I literally never got down to 50% powers.)

I neither intended to take Force training or to have a wisdom or charisma over 12 max. Like I  said, the character has potential and lacks formal training.
Btw force wizards who use force powers to attack shouldn't last longer than a few encounters, considering they can rack up 3-4 dark side points per power use depending on circumstances.
O&O

Batman4560

Hey guys, just wanted to let ya know I'm stalking this page with lots of interest.

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: Batman4560 on July 10, 2015, 01:59:12 AM
Hey guys, just wanted to let ya know I'm stalking this page with lots of interest.
A stalker who makes his presence known fails at stalking.  :P  ;)

If you need some information, or have any questions, before your interest might turn into a commitment, just let me know, please. With four players we would have a group that could work. 5 or 6 players might be better, just in case someone drops out along the way, but 4 could be enough.

Group size aside, I'd like to ask everyone to keep one thing in mind when you work on your characters: You are all working for a larger organization that has assembled this crew for a specific task. Every character should have at least one or two skills or abilities that make him/her/them an asset during a mission of spying, fact-finding, making contacts among the local resistance (if there is any). At the very least the group should cover Gather Information, Mechanics, Perception, and Use Computer as trained skills taken by one or more characters. This won't be a combat mission (at least not primarily) so don't neglect the "scoundrel-type" and "social" skills.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

FragarachZ

Question, GM!

How improvisational can we get with skill use in your game? Say I make my shut-in tech babe pilot character. She'd likely stay behind and help the others through security terminals, hacking and gathering information on the local area via computer access. Could we pull off stuff like sabotaging subsystems, making power conduits explode, opening and sealing certain doors remotely this way? Maybe incorporate such checks as a skill challange to help the ground team/hinder the opposition?

For the force sensitive character he'd be more of a frontline charger, but he'd still have some handy skills for avoiding combat.
O&O

Batman4560

I'm committing. I have been reading everything up until this point. :)

I do love to play the rouges in D&D and I want to cut my teeth on something I am familiar with so this seems like a good starting point. :) How are we handling character sheets?

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: FragarachZ on July 10, 2015, 03:31:32 AM
Question, GM!

How improvisational can we get with skill use in your game? Say I make my shut-in tech babe pilot character. She'd likely stay behind and help the others through security terminals, hacking and gathering information on the local area via computer access. Could we pull off stuff like sabotaging subsystems, making power conduits explode, opening and sealing certain doors remotely this way? Maybe incorporate such checks as a skill challange to help the ground team/hinder the opposition?
I think most of what you are asking about is already covered by the rules. The more you want to do, the more you need to control the computer in charge of those systems, which is covered under Improve Access (p. 76). Once you have access to the computer in question I would look at the rules for cooperation and favorable circumstances, most likely translating what your character does to a +2 bonus for some of the other characters. If you want to describe that as exploding power conduits, randomly firing weapon turrets, or something else I would leave to you. Rules-wise it really doesn't matter if you issue conflicting orders to Stormtroopers via a highjacked com channel or make some equipment malfunction. If your skill is good enough to gain control of the enemy computers you can aid your friends.

As far as I am concerned, as long as you have the means to aid your friends, aiding your friends is what the rules boil down to. If you can justify giving them a bonus you give them a bonus. Just don't expect to use computers as a replacement for other skills. Sometimes a lock will need a lockpick to open. Sometimes some information can only be gained from staring down that scar-faced bruiser in the rowdy cantina.

Quote from: Batman4560 on July 10, 2015, 04:46:54 AM
I'm committing. I have been reading everything up until this point. :)

I do love to play the rouges in D&D and I want to cut my teeth on something I am familiar with so this seems like a good starting point. :) How are we handling character sheets?
Yay!  ;D

Honestly I have no idea yet about character sheets. Right now I am gathering some notes I made for pen-and-paper games I thought about years ago and planning some adventures.

Maybe for now just PM me whatever you got in whatever format you want? I guess I can probably decipher what you folks do and figure things out.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

Batman4560

Will do, I'm off today so I will try to get my sheet done. We are starting out lvl 6 with a 33 point buy system Correct? If that is the case... I have never done a point buy before. So what is that?

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: Batman4560 on July 10, 2015, 05:20:42 AM
Will do, I'm off today so I will try to get my sheet done. We are starting out lvl 6 with a 33 point buy system Correct? If that is the case... I have never done a point buy before. So what is that?
The point buy stat creation is in the Saga SW Core Rules, page 18, under "Planned Generation". You spend point to get your basic stats:

Attribute Score 8 -- 0 points
9 -- 1pt
10 -- 2pts
11 -- 3pts
12 -- 4pts
13 -- 5 pts
14 -- 6 pts
15 -- 8 pts
16 -- 10pts
17 -- 13 pts
18 -- 16pts

Race modifiers are added to those basic scores, as are the two +1 attribute increases everyone gets at level 4.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

FragarachZ

Trying to decide between my brawler and techie now. I'm making both statblocks for now and go with whichever fits the group better once everyone has an idea of what they'd like to play best. Trying to keep things balanced both in genders, species and skills.

Would anyone here be interested in playing a droid character if it's an option or team up with a lightsaber juggling duelist?

O&O

FragarachZ

I'm mostly done with the crunch except for credits, force and destiny points. Will go with either brawler or techie based on how the party is turning out.

Also it came out in an web supplement I think, but I can't remember if the outlaw tech talents and tech specialist feat was meant as an addon for the core rulebook or are those not available in this game?

Once others come up with their character ideas it would be cool if we could tie backgrounds/origins together somehow so we don't have to do a "you meet in the tavern" scene :P
O&O

Muse

Quote from: FragarachZ on July 10, 2015, 07:44:20 AM
I'm mostly done with the crunch except for credits, force and destiny points. Will go with either brawler or techie based on how the party is turning out.

Also it came out in an web supplement I think, but I can't remember if the outlaw tech talents and tech specialist feat was meant as an addon for the core rulebook or are those not available in this game?

Once others come up with their character ideas it would be cool if we could tie backgrounds/origins together somehow so we don't have to do a "you meet in the tavern" scene :P

Ack!  lol 

Didn't occur to me that the Tech Specialist might not be available.  ^_^;; 

Makes being a techy so much more rewardign when it is! 

Okay, scoundrel gun bunny/ship's gunner in the works.  She's good, she's  luck, but which is better?  :) 

Muse

Will it bother anyone if we wind up with multiple twi'leks? 

FragarachZ

Actually you reminded me that I totally forgot about Fool's Luck...which is force point fueled as well. It would also work with the whole passive-force user theme, hmm...  Intereeesting and not to my dislike either.
Who knows maybe some of your girl's luck will rub off on him... or some other rubbing off might happen. If he picks up that scoundrel talent and the multiclass feat he might become an elite trooper instead of force adept, going more for the soldier who got a lightsaber aspect?

Well if we'll have a twi'lek scoundrel and another rogue type and a scout that would cover most of the skill department.

Hmm, smash puny god or get aaaall the skills? Decisions decisions.
O&O

KirbysFolly

Yeah, I was thinking more outdoor survival/hunter/search and rescue type for the scout. I'll poke around the book some more later.

I don't really care about an even balance of races/genders/etc. If we end up with a load of one thing, that's fine with me.

Cassandra, did you want us to put together full sheets already, or just look at what we'd like to go with?

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: Muse on July 10, 2015, 08:36:42 AM
Will it bother anyone if we wind up with multiple twi'leks?
As far as I am concerned you folks can play whatever races you like. Just don't expect to find it easy to infiltrate an imperial base with an all-Twilek party. Getting those Stormtrooper helmets on can be a bit of a problem. ;)

Quote from: FragarachZ on July 10, 2015, 09:00:20 AM
Well if we'll have a twi'lek scoundrel and another rogue type and a scout that would cover most of the skill department.
Depends a bit on the individual characters. It wouldn't hurt to have a character who covers the diplomatic/interpersonal skills, i.e. Deception, Gather Info, and Persuasion. I don't think the Rebelion would send a team on this mission that doesn't cover those skills, be it with one specialist or those skills spread around the group.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: KirbysFolly on July 10, 2015, 02:26:44 PM
Cassandra, did you want us to put together full sheets already, or just look at what we'd like to go with?
Attributes, what classes and how many levels in each class, talents, feats, what trained skills would be nice to know at the moment. You don't have to add up all the numbers (skill bonuses, defenses, attacks), but I wouldn't mind seeing what your character will be capable of.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

FragarachZ

Quote from: KirbysFolly on July 10, 2015, 02:26:44 PMI don't really care about an even balance of races/genders/etc. If we end up with a load of one thing, that's fine with me.

*shrug* It just doesn't feel very Star Wars to me if there are three Luke Skywalkers and two Boba Fetts in the group, or five Han Solos. Which is why I consider several archetypes.

Quote from: Cassandra LeMay on July 10, 2015, 02:31:37 PM
As far as I am concerned you folks can play whatever races you like. Just don't expect to find it easy to infiltrate an imperial base with an all-Twilek party. Getting those Stormtrooper helmets on can be a bit of a problem. ;)

Guys, let's all make twi'leks and go to a bar instead.
O&O

Batman4560

Anyone know where I can fill out a character sheet online?

FragarachZ

Quote from: Batman4560 on July 10, 2015, 02:57:21 PM
Anyone know where I can fill out a character sheet online?

http://www.myth-weavers.com/

GM how are we going to use Force/Destiny/Dark side points? Do we get the fewer force points but per day or mission variant, or keep the X per level?
O&O

Batman4560

Alrighty so I have a question. We are sticking to simply the Core book correct? Also I will be playing a Zabrak.

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: Batman4560 on July 10, 2015, 03:43:22 PM
Alrighty so I have a question. We are sticking to simply the Core book correct? Also I will be playing a Zabrak.
Yep. I'd like to stick to the core book.

Quote from: FragarachZ on July 10, 2015, 03:02:12 PM
GM how are we going to use Force/Destiny/Dark side points? Do we get the fewer force points but per day or mission variant, or keep the X per level?
I wasn't even aware that there is a variant rule. Which kinda sorta boils down to the 5 + half level rule (Core rules, p.92), I guess. Where's the alternative rule from?

(Sonia Sotomayor)

FragarachZ

Quote from: Cassandra LeMay on July 10, 2015, 03:59:29 PM
I wasn't even aware that there is a variant rule. Which kinda sorta boils down to the 5 + half level rule (Core rules, p.92), I guess. Where's the alternative rule from?

I think it was finally released in the jedi academy training manual... but I remember it first hitting the net as a web enhancement or article on wizards before. It basically does away with the whole per level aspect of force points making them a bit more accessable but limited at one time. It has force points refreshing daily instead, with level 1-5 characters having 1 force point each day, 6-10 have 2, 11-15 have 3 and 16 or higher get 4, with the force boon feat counting for only one point extra.
O&O

Muse

So, should I budget for Vehicular Combat?  And/or for being a gunner?

KirbysFolly

Do we have anybody taking the Pilot skill? I could pick it up, if nobody else wants to, but I hadn't planned on actually being a pilot.

Also, do you houserule Climb/Jump/Swim into Athletics, or do they stay as separate skills?

FragarachZ

Pic
Allright you guys, you know what? I'll pick the pilot/tech expert character after all. I play combat types most of the time so it'll be a fun break from that. Hopefully I can get creative with skills! She basically has every technology related skill and piloting covered. Also a bit of deception skill there. You guys focus on your pewpew and stuff. That way I won't look like an idiot running after people with guns with a glowing stick :P

I guess that will mean she'll own the party ship most likely?

statblock draft
Anya Idrall         CL 6

Medium Twi'lek scoundrel 5/scout 1
Init +7; Senses low-light vision; Perception +3
Languages Basic, Binary, Huttese, Lekku, Ryl, Shyriiwook

Defenses Ref 22 (flat-footed 18), Fort 20, Will 17; Evasion, Vehicular Combat
hp 48; Threshold 20

Speed 6 squares
Melee by weapon +3
Ranged hold-out blaster +7 (3d4+3)
Base Atk +3; Grp +7
Atk Options Point Blank Shot
Special Actions Gimmick

Abilities Str 10, Dex 18, Con 12, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 12
Special Qualities deceptive
Talents Evasion, Gimmick, Master Slicer, Spacehound
Feats Point Blank Shot, Skill Focus (Mechanics, Pilot, Stealth, Use Computer), Vehicular Combat, Weapon Proficiency (pistols, rifles, simple weapons)
Skills Acrobatics +12, Deception +9 (may reroll but must keep the result of the reroll even if worse), Knowledge (technology) +11, Mechanics +16, Pilot +17, Stealth +17, Use Computer +16 (may Issue Routine Command as swift action; may reroll to improve access to a computer and keep the better result)
Possessions utility belt, hold-out blaster

Let's all make twi'leks and open our own bar! Then all the stormies will be like:

O&O

KirbysFolly

Well, here's the character sheet so far. I haven't picked out a portrait yet.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=271819

Now I have to go get ready for work.

Batman4560

K so I am getting a very "Rouge One" vibe for this game so I'll be playing a Soldier class.

Muse

Batman4560

6, so how are we figuring starting gear?

hellrazoromega

I don't suppose you have any slots open?

Muse

I love that comic, Frag. 

So, why dexterity 18?  Especialy at the cost of inteligence left at 16? 

Batman4560

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: hellrazoromega on July 10, 2015, 08:32:43 PM
I don't suppose you have any slots open?
As a matter of fact I'd be happy to have one more character on board.  :-)

Quote from: Muse on July 10, 2015, 07:37:31 PM
  Are we level 5 or level 6?
Your choice. If you are undecided what classes to take and want to play a little before making up your mind you can be level 5. I'd give you ... say, 13,500 XP in that case, meaning you will reach level 6 before too long.

Quote from: Batman4560 on July 10, 2015, 07:44:45 PM
6, so how are we figuring starting gear?
I'll begin thinking about that when I am done working out some details and NPCs for the first 2 or 3 encounters. Right now getting my adventure ideas and setting details in order takes up most of my creativity.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

hellrazoromega

OK, I freely admit to being a Jediphile so I'll give this a shot--to see if you'd allow it.

Kia Jan-Tarsis was a youngling on the way back with other younglings from the trip to find their saber crystals an make their lightabers when the Temple fell. The Jedi Master accompanying them received Obi-Wan and Yoda's override of the signal and hid the younglings on an unexplored planet well off any know hyperspace route while he left to gather information. He son returned after learning of the ongoing purge. He had hoped to train the younglings to preserve the Order. Months grew into years and the Master was killed by the one of the many dangers the planet offered, and then one by one the other younglings followed leaving Kia alone. Only several years later when a crippled scout ship wandered onto her planet to make repairs was she discovered. Heeding the master's final warning and the news she heard of the galaxy she hid what she was and stayed on the fringe until she could find shelter with the rebellion and use her skill as a scout to stay away from anyone who could give her away, even inadvertently.

That is a basic overview of what I was shooting for, but I was thinking 2-3 levels of Jedi and the rest Scout and I am perfectly OK with being a middle aged character.

Batman4560

OK so I'm rolling hp and I don't really know how to use the dice bot and post what I rolled. Can anyone tell me how that works?

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: Batman4560 on July 11, 2015, 01:45:05 AM
OK so I'm rolling hp and I don't really know how to use the dice bot and post what I rolled. Can anyone tell me how that works?
The dicebot is pretty self-explanatory, as I recall it. Once you made a roll you'll see a results page with a few links, one of them "view my rolls". That brings up a list of your dice rolls. Click on the "ID" link for the roll in question (leftmost column of the rolls list). That brings up a page that provides you with a url code you can post like this:
[url=/forums/dicebot.php?r=77864]At 2015-07-11 01:52:44, Cassandra LeMay (uid: 52364) rolls: 1d20 Result: 16[/url]
Posted that looks like this:
At 2015-07-11 01:52:44, Cassandra LeMay (uid: 52364) rolls: 1d20 Result: 16

(Sonia Sotomayor)

Batman4560

Cassandra LeMay

A few preliminary thoughts about the character we have so far and those who are in the works:

Hellrazor: If that's the character you want, go for it. Nothing wrong with the concept.

Muse: Would you consider giving your Twilek scoundrel some of the more interpersonal skills, perhaps making her someone who picked up some persuasion and deception skills dealing with the underworld? We are still somewhat lacking in that department. If that means you don't have enough talents/feats to turn her into the ship's gunner, maybe there could be a solution to that.

Batman: Would you consider taking Weapon proficiency: Heavy Weapons instead of one of the feats you now have? Your character could make a pretty good ship's gunner if you took that one feat.
Also, while the armor feats are pretty impressive, wearing armor will make you stand out like a sore thumb in some situations. If it's what you want, go for it, but have you considered going in the weapon specialist direction? I guess it might depend a bit on the character's background.

Frag: Would you be willing to take Trace instead of Master Slicer if no one else covers the Gather Information skill?

(Sonia Sotomayor)

Batman4560

I'm new to Saga so let me ask you guys. Is one of these following feats more "worth it" than the others...

Shake it off, Weapon Focus, Martial Arts.

Those are the ones I would for sure be willing to take out for Heavy Weapons Prof.

My initial idea was to make this character a sort of enforcer for the rest of the group. Or someone who can take the brunt of attacks for the rest of the group. Hence the Armor traits. I had considered the weapons specialist path but it didn't really grab my attention. However I did like the idea of being able to take lots of strikes and be able to chip away at enemy hp i.e. the knight from D&D 3.5

But if anyone has suggestions please let me know.

Muse

*Smiles* I'll cover gather info, deception,a nd persuasion.  :)  Don't worry about then.  ; )

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: Muse on July 11, 2015, 02:23:46 AM
*Smiles* I'll cover gather info, deception,a nd persuasion.  :)  Don't worry about then.  ; )
Sweet. :-)

Quote from: Batman4560 on July 11, 2015, 02:23:02 AM
I'm new to Saga so let me ask you guys. Is one of these following feats more "worth it" than the others...

Shake it off, Weapon Focus, Martial Arts.

Those are the ones I would for sure be willing to take out for Heavy Weapons Prof.

My initial idea was to make this character a sort of enforcer for the rest of the group. Or someone who can take the brunt of attacks for the rest of the group. Hence the Armor traits. I had considered the weapons specialist path but it didn't really grab my attention. However I did like the idea of being able to take lots of strikes and be able to chip away at enemy hp i.e. the knight from D&D 3.5

But if anyone has suggestions please let me know.
All those three feats have their advantages - it just depends on what you are after. If it were my character (meaning what follows is totally subjective) I'd probably drop Martial Arts. I think that's best for characters who want to specialize in close combat and intend to take MA-II and MA-III eventually. The extra damage from MA-I isn't all that much, which leaves the dodge bonus as the real benefit if you want to take just Martial Arts I. Only I think you can do without that bonus if you slightly shifted your attributes, giving him STR14 and DEX16. Strength 14 is still pretty solid and Dexterity 16 will help you with both offense and defense.
I am not sure about the advanatges of Shake It Off, as I haven't played Saga all that much. Maybe someone else can offer an opinion on it. I'm a bit on the fence about it.
Weapon Focus is something I would definitely keep. Every bit helps, and it is a prerequisite for Penetrating Attack and Weapon Specialization, should you want to pick up some Weapon Specialist talents during character creation or later in life.

One thing you have to consider with the "damage soaker" concept is that there is no guarantee that the enemy will really target you. Some enemies might actually decide it's best to take out all the lightly-armored opponents first before they concentrate their fire on you. If heroicly taking fire for your teammates is what you want you should consider the talents from the Commando tree. Replacing the two Armor talents with either Battle Analysis + Cover Fire or Harm's Way and Indomitable could work pretty well. Or, if you really want to stick with the armor talents, consider Harm's Way instead of Tough As Nails. At least with that talent you can make certain you are in a place to take some damage for an ally.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

Cassandra LeMay

Okay, soooo... characters aside I am also beginning to think about the ship you'll get...

@Frag: As it does make sense that your character owns the ship I will leave it (mostly) to you to work out with the rest of the group if one of the other characters is someone you have worked with as a co-pilot before. Most small freighters do need a crew of two so I guess it would make sense if one of the other characters is your co-pilot.

As for the ship itself, I am beginning to think that a YT-1300 isn't a bad choice.

There are stock freighters that are "better", more capable than the YT-1300, but I realized that I was conciously avoiding the YT-1300 when I was thinking about a ship for this game, very much because it might lead people to think about the Millenium Falcon. But the 1300 isn't a bad ship, and it has one advantage: Everyone knows what it looks like. I think visuals are important; players should be able to imagine the scene. So why not something that closely resembles the Millenium Falcon?

So unless someone has a serious beef with the YT-1300 that might well be the ship you will end up with - with some serious modifications, of course.  ;)

(Sonia Sotomayor)

FragarachZ

YT-1300 central cockpit variant

I'll call it the Lucky Magpie. I'm definitely thinking getting some reinforced shields on there, as that would have been something my character would have tinkered without doubt. She would feel safest in her ship after all. Definitely a basic luxury upgrade to have liveable quarters. It's not just her ship, it's her home as well and it doesn't have to be spartan.
Other than that, either a second gunner seat or a set of lighter laser cannons that are pilot controlled for "navigating asteroid fields". For the same reason, combat thrusters for handling and to better avoid collisions (and battleship fire)? Could make it look like a salvager or deep space ship that sells space junk. For hyperdrive... yeah a good one helps, but in my experience the rules for hyperspace travels aren't really important since in star wars everything goes with the speed of plot. Still, a x1 would be nice. And definitely an astromech droid, maybe a red R5 unit equipped with tools, fire extinguishers and maybe a vibrator when the capt'n is lonely.
I'll just go ahead and assume having space suits for the crew and tools and kits on board will be given or we'll requisition them from the rebels first chance we get.

Does anyone have any other ideas for the ship? If our GM lets me take tech specialist or anything from the outlaw tech stuff I'll pimp out the ship and everyone's guns even futher.

If it comes to space combat, my character will take the pilot seat. There will be some other roles that'll need to be filled based on skill and weapon proficiencies. If we get the astromech droid, it can do either copilot or shields freeing up a character to do something else.

Pilot: Anya
1 copilot
1 system operator for shields, sensors and comms (computer use and mechanics)
1 engineer if we need to move up the CT (mechanics
1 or 2 gunners (heavy or starship weapon proficiency or at penalty)

I think it would make most sense if Muse's twi'lek was part of the original crew, seeing how she'd be more of the people person while my character is the technican. But I'm open for ideas and suggestions.
O&O

KirbysFolly

Replying from my phone, so I'll be brief. I don't have much preference on the ship, that one looks good to me.

If you have the ship, you guys could have been the ones who gave my character a lift off her planet.

hellrazoromega

So it seems odd to me that treat injury is not on the Jedi or Scout list. I am going for something of a healer.  I took Knowledge Medicine but I was wondering if the  GM would allow a hand wave a let me take treat injury?

Also a general question to the group, what languages do we have floating around the party? I am trying to think of whcih ones to take other than Huttese.

If our GM is generous with my above request I would like to suggest we convert a small section of one of the bays into a sickbay or something that could rapidly be converted into a such a space.

FragarachZ

Quote from: hellrazoromega on July 11, 2015, 03:15:41 PM
So it seems odd to me that treat injury is not on the Jedi or Scout list. I am going for something of a healer.  I took Knowledge Medicine but I was wondering if the  GM would allow a hand wave a let me take treat injury?

Also a general question to the group, what languages do we have floating around the party? I am trying to think of whcih ones to take other than Huttese.

If our GM is generous with my above request I would like to suggest we convert a small section of one of the bays into a sickbay or something that could rapidly be converted into a such a space.

You can start with noble or soldier levels and add jedi on top of that? Or multiclass into one ofthose and raise int to get a retroactive skill proficiency from any skill one of your classes have.
Taking a non-jedi 1st level you could still get force sensitivity as your feat, then lightsabers when you multi into jedi. Train UtF and Treat Injury, and pick a talent that matches the character concept, like one of the noble's bolsters or battle analysis from soldier to know when we drop under half hit points?

Not sure if a medical facility would fit into a freighter, but we can repurpose the port crew quarters if you have medical kits and surgical equipment. That means everyone gets the starboard crew quarters with two double bunks. I still call dibs on the captain's cabin when not piloting.
O&O

hellrazoromega

Yeah sadly I am a concept builder and the Scout/Jedi paring fits the character more. And one of my true hangups about D20 systems is class cherry-picking "I'm gonna take 1st level in 12 classes to get all this stuff and access to every skill." Though that is an exaggeration well beyond what you suggest I prefer to not even to begin to go down that road. I could take scout as my level one class to min min-max the skills and feats--but again I try not to roll like that. If I have to I may switch solider for scout and tweak my background so I can be a healer. It just seems odd that Jedi (who have healers) don't have treat injury and scouts who are going to be out alone on the fringes don't have it either.

I should have been more clear and said makeshift sickbay, I was not suggesting a full medical bay with bacta tanks and all that, more a space with cots which could be set up and a few pieces of medical equipment in one of the smaller cargo bays. Or as you say one of the crew quarters could be used. At times when we don't needed this stuff could be stowed away and broken out when and if we have injured to treat.

FragarachZ

Since saga has 5 classes, we never really considered them as anything than a label around a group of loosely connected abilities. You can be a jedi character (as in member of the jedi tradition) with no levels in jedi whatsoever just by picking 2 or 3 feats.

The way my group used to play is, they picked soldier or noble as their first level for jedi guardian and consular respectively, keeping to abilities that matched the character concept, and jedi levels only for the lightsaber and force related talents. That way they could get harms way, persuasion, treat injury, a bunch of knowledge skills etc.

If you want to stick to jedi class and be a healer, take vital transfer. We've seen Obi-Wan lay on hands half a dozen times, but never take a medical pack or surgeon's tools right? Later on I know there's a talent to replace treat injury with UtF but I think it is only for force adepts?
O&O

Cassandra LeMay

I agree with Frag that the character classes are (to some extend) just labels. Personally I like the multiclassing in Saga a whole lot, because it allows for some nice cutomization of a character.

As for the Treat Injury skill, don't forget that Saga allows for a whole lot of skills to be used untrained. The applications of Treat Injury that do require skill training are things that would be the field of trained doctors or at least paramedics. I think it's fitting that those skill applications are reserved for only a very few classes. I don't think it would actually be all that fitting for a character who grew up more or less alone in the wilderness to have the skill to install a cybernetic prosthesis or treat radiation poisoning.

As for the ship, I may toy around with the deckplan a little bit. How about we get rid of that refrigerated cargo bay? I'm sure the person who did the deckplan had his reasons for it, but it's a bit specialized. I might also move the computer to the center of the ship, allowing for a complete, unbroken ring corridor. That's a bit more practical, I think.

Modifications... Hyperdrive x1, combat thrusters, and some shields are pretty much a given. For weapons I was thinking light laser cannons controlled by the pilot and a medium double blaster in a gun turret. I am not so sure about the luxury upgrade. Those cost monthly maintenance and that is (a) expensive and (b) adds extra bookkeeping to the game. If you want to describe the  pilot cabin as cozy and well-maintained that's fine by me, but a ship-wide upgrade is perhaps a bit much.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

FragarachZ

Cozy living quarters is basically what I wanted yeah. The guns you say sound good to me too.
O&O

Batman4560

Ok so aside from starting gear I think I'm done with my sheet. Can someone go over it to make sure I did everything right?

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=272015

Also Frag, can I be your ships Gunner and go from there? Maybe the two of us have been working together for a while. I could possibly double as a co pilot when needed since I'm trained in pilot.

hellrazoromega

Quote from: Cassandra LeMay on July 11, 2015, 04:26:51 PM
I agree with Frag that the character classes are (to some extend) just labels. Personally I like the multiclassing in Saga a whole lot, because it allows for some nice cutomization of a character.

As for the Treat Injury skill, don't forget that Saga allows for a whole lot of skills to be used untrained. The applications of Treat Injury that do require skill training are things that would be the field of trained doctors or at least paramedics. I think it's fitting that those skill applications are reserved for only a very few classes. I don't think it would actually be all that fitting for a character who grew up more or less alone in the wilderness to have the skill to install a cybernetic prosthesis or treat radiation poisoning.
Not saying I dislike multi-classing  by any means, just saying I get an concept in my head and I build a character to that concept  rather that just taking another class simply to grab a new ability or two, in order to min-max.

Anyway, I see the character as having spent several years in the planet be having been rescued and hiding out with the fringers or rebels for the last few years, giving her time to pick up some of the more technical skills.

I don't disagree on the skills more technical aspects, and in fact the only Trained Use of the skill I was really interested in would be Treat Poison which I think a person stranded on some back water filled with deadly flora and fauna for years might be likely to learn. Other than that I was interested in First Aid and Long-Term Care which, while I know they can be used untrained, I was hoping to make her a good healer without having to use the Force all the time. But, you are the GM and I will abide, I'll just take the character in another direction as having her be untrained would make her equal to everyone else in healing and remove that vibe of being a dedicated non-force healer I was going for.  :D

With that in mind I have to ask what sort of abilities do you see Knowledge: Medicine conferring since the knowlegde skills are rather broad?

KirbysFolly

Okay, here was the character portrait I was going to use.

Picture

Muse

Quote from: hellrazoromega on July 12, 2015, 01:59:59 AM
With that in mind I have to ask what sort of abilities do you see Knowledge: Medicine conferring since the knowlegde skills are rather broad?

Do you mean Knowlege: Life Scienes? 

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: Batman4560 on July 12, 2015, 01:02:41 AM
Ok so aside from starting gear I think I'm done with my sheet. Can someone go over it to make sure I did everything right?

Looks mostly okay to me. Just total all the skills and don't forget that you get half your level (rounded down) on all skills as a level bonus. Once it comes to skill rolls during gameplay I'll probably not check if you have added your full bonus or not so it might come in handy for you if you have the full skill bonuses listed on the sheet.

You need to specify what weapon category your Weapon Focus applies to.

Also, now that I look over the sheet again I have some small suggestions: Toughness hardly makes a difference for a level 6 Soldier. 81 or 87 hit points isn't really much of a difference. Instead you could take the Extra Second Wind feat. If you took that you would gain the same advantage you get from the Tough As Nails talent from a feat, in which case you could either have both and gain another "second wind" per day, or take another talent instead of Tough As Nails without losing the extra second wind per day that talent would provide. (Personally I would probably take another talent, instead of Tough..., but that's just me.)

Quote from: hellrazoromega on July 12, 2015, 01:59:59 AM
Not saying I dislike multi-classing  by any means, just saying I get an concept in my head and I build a character to that concept  rather that just taking another class simply to grab a new ability or two, in order to min-max.

Anyway, I see the character as having spent several years in the planet be having been rescued and hiding out with the fringers or rebels for the last few years, giving her time to pick up some of the more technical skills.

I don't disagree on the skills more technical aspects, and in fact the only Trained Use of the skill I was really interested in would be Treat Poison which I think a person stranded on some back water filled with deadly flora and fauna for years might be likely to learn. Other than that I was interested in First Aid and Long-Term Care which, while I know they can be used untrained, I was hoping to make her a good healer without having to use the Force all the time. But, you are the GM and I will abide, I'll just take the character in another direction as having her be untrained would make her equal to everyone else in healing and remove that vibe of being a dedicated non-force healer I was going for.  :D

I think we just approach "building a character to a concept" differently. If this were one of my characters I would define the concept as "a healer and survivalist who has some force training" and pick classes to get me the abilities that fit that concept. Defining the concept in terms of classes right from the bat strikes me as limiting your options too much.

Anyway, I don't disagree with you about the poison treatment aspect of the Treat Injury skill, but I would say that knowing how to survive on one planet doesn't necessarily help you all that much with other situations unless you have some formal training or gained experience on a lot of different planets too. Not having Treat Injury as a trained skill doesn't mean your character isn't an expert about all kinds of poisons found on the planet he grew up on. It just makes it more of a character background element than a game mechanics element.

The Knowledge skills in Saga are very broad categories. Take Knowledge: Life Sciences and you have medicine covered, but also biology, botany, zoology.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

Batman4560

I'll for sure look into the toughness thing. Improved toughness was a feat from 3.5 that I was familiar with so I went with that. As far as my weapon focus I didn't want to specify until I know what I'm working with as far as starting gear goes. That way I can keep my options open for a bit. :)

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: Batman4560 on July 12, 2015, 02:44:58 AM
I'll for sure look into the toughness thing. Improved toughness was a feat from 3.5 that I was familiar with so I went with that. As far as my weapon focus I didn't want to specify until I know what I'm working with as far as starting gear goes. That way I can keep my options open for a bit. :)
Weapon specialization applies to weapon categories, so it would be Pistols, Rifles, or Heavy Weapons in your case. Whatever I decide to give you guys as starting equipment and starting credits, you can rest assured that your soldier character will be able to get his hands on either a pistol or a rifle, maybe both, right from the start. Maybe you won't get as heavy a weapon as you might hope for, but the general category shouldn't be a problem.  :-)

(Sonia Sotomayor)

Batman4560

*nods* I was looking at the gear and I think I'm going to (If possible) Try to carry a rife and pistol, then wear an armored flight suit as it would be something that could look as generic as possible.

FragarachZ

Quote from: Batman4560 on July 12, 2015, 01:02:41 AM

Also Frag, can I be your ships Gunner and go from there? Maybe the two of us have been working together for a while. I could possibly double as a co pilot when needed since I'm trained in pilot.

Sure thing! I was about to say we're lacking male characters here until I looked through your sheet just now. Maybe he got her out of trouble when she couldn't escape a conflict then she got him offworld? If he'd been flying with her he'd know a few things (depending on how well they know eachother), that won't be readily known to the others.
O&O

Batman4560

Quote from: FragarachZ on July 12, 2015, 03:27:52 AM
Sure thing! I was about to say we're lacking male characters here until I looked through your sheet just now. Maybe he got her out of trouble when she couldn't escape a conflict then she got him offworld? If he'd been flying with her he'd know a few things (depending on how well they know eachother), that won't be readily known to the others.

We can work that out. I have also been tinkering around with the idea of him also being a noble so we can start getting extra cash and some deals on gear and black market stuff too. Maybe he is a run away and up until the next level the two haven't had a need to use his noble heritage.

FragarachZ

Ooh, he has money? Even better! I know exactly what Anya'll do with him then  O:)
O&O

Batman4560

"I ain't sayin she a gold digger...."

Cassandra LeMay

Here's my take on the Magpie, after I toyed around with the deckplan a little (just because I can  ;D ... well, that and I wanted something unique to our game too).

Modifications to the standard YT-1300 would be:
> Hyperdrive x1
> Combat Thrusters
> Enhanced Sublight Drive (4 squares instead of 2)
> Shields (SR 35)
> Pilot-controlled light laser cannons (3d10x2 damage)
> Standard laser cannons are replaced by a gunner-controlled double medium blaster turret (5d10x2 damage)
> Smuggler's Compartment (1 ton cargo capacity)
> Extra Passenger Seating to accomodate 5 additional passengers on short journeys
> Disguised Transponder (1 fake ID code)

The disguised transponder will be installed for this mission, courtesy of the Rebel Alliance. The passenger seating I added because it is relatively cheap but adds some options for legitimate transport business (and means there'll be more room to stay out of each other's hair if people want some privacy).

All this is completely negotiable. Consider it a draft for now.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

FragarachZ

Quote from: Cassandra LeMay on July 12, 2015, 03:43:55 AM
Here's my take on the Magpie, after I toyed around with the deckplan a little (just because I can  ;D ... well, that and I wanted something unique to our game too).

Modifications to the standard YT-1300 would be:
> Hyperdrive x1
> Combat Thrusters
> Shields (SR 35)
> Standard laser cannons are replaced by a gunner-controlled double medium blaster turret (5d10x2 damage)
> Extra Passenger Seating to accomodate 5 additional passengers on short journeys

The disguised transponder will be installed for this mission, courtesy of the Rebel Alliance. The passenger seating I added because it is relatively cheap but adds some options for legitimate transport business (and means there'll be more room to stay out of each other's hair if people want some privacy).

All this is completely negotiable. Consider it a draft for now.

Awesome! So there is one gunner seat with a 5d10 gun and the pilot operated 3d10 one? The speed boost and that means I'll be double moving less I guess, whoo! (Also just saying in general thread that captain's quarters would have an extra security lock and locked at all times. Anya will want her privacy and stuff undisturbed and preferably undiscovered.)

The deckplan you made is of course awesome, but I have mixed feelings about the passanger quarters on the bottom left. and the cargo hold marked with 11. Seems like the ship might tilt to the side in gravity when carrying cargo? Then again it makes sense having crew quarters next to the lounge and cargo bay next to the loading ramp I guess?

This is just a suggestion but maybe switch #11 and #3 on the bottom left? The cargo holds seem to have cargo elevators in them (I assume not everything would fit in through the loading ramp anyway?) that way the cargo weight could be distributed evenly in the back of the ship while the front section was all crew and passanger related. #2 captains cabing and adjacent #3 would be for the crew and the quarters next to the lounge for passangers?

O&O

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: FragarachZ on July 12, 2015, 03:58:04 AM
So there is one gunner seat with a 5d10 gun and the pilot operated 3d10 one?
Yup. Once I figure out how to make new pages and/or add a category to the Elliquiy Wiki I'll post a complete stat block that reflects that.

One of you fine folks wouldn't happen to know a bit about how a / the wiki works? Uploading images is about all I have used it for so far.

Quote from: FragarachZ on July 12, 2015, 03:58:04 AMThe deckplan you made is of course awesome, but I have mixed feelings about the passanger quarters on the bottom left. and the cargo hold marked with 11. Seems like the ship might tilt to the side in gravity when carrying cargo? Then again it makes sense having crew quarters next to the lounge and cargo bay next to the loading ramp I guess?
It's not just about the quarters being close to the lounge, it's also about them being close to the lifeboat. And cargo doesn't tilt the ship - it's magical fantasy science, ye know.  :D And hey, if it did, placing all the cargo compartments in the aft half of the ship would tilt the ship to that side too.  ;)

I quite deliberately placed some quarters in the aft half and some cargo space in the forward half, as I hoped a somewhat ... "uneven" room placement would help a bit to show the modified nature of the ship, underline the fact that many YT-1300's don't follow a standard layout and are individual ships, not just in their mechanical capabilities, but also in their layout. And lets face it, in the "making sense" department this deckplan is still several parsecs ahead of the Millenium Falcon, no matter how you explain it.  ;)

But if you really must make sense of the layout, think of it this way: When you transport cargo you primarily use room #9. But when you transport passengers you use #10 and #11 to stow their baggage, balancing the weight of the passengers. As I think it would be rare to transport both a heavy load and passengers at the same time you should be free to distribute the weight evenly on almost any cargo run. A tramp freighter will be very lucky if it gets a cargo run that uses its full capacity so you should be able to make do with one or two of the cargo bays most of the time.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

FragarachZ

Fair enough. 11 o'clock #3 will be crew quarters then and the 8 o'clock #3 will be the passanger quarters then. I imagine each with 2 sets of double bunks.

I'm totally stealing the deckplan though. The magpie is actually a ship I also use in my once-a-year meet-up game with old buddies, and I suck at any visual design myself.
O&O

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: FragarachZ on July 12, 2015, 04:38:02 AM
Fair enough. 11 o'clock #3 will be crew quarters then and the 8 o'clock #3 will be the passanger quarters then. I imagine each with 2 sets of double bunks.
That's how I figure it too. That does add up to 4+4+1=9 beds in total when the capacity should be 2 crew + 6 passengers = 8 for a YT-1300, but I am gonna handwave that one extra bunk. It's not like that will make or break the game. 

Quote from: FragarachZ on July 12, 2015, 04:38:02 AMI'm totally stealing the deckplan though. The magpie is actually a ship I also use in my once-a-year meet-up game with old buddies, and I suck at any visual design myself.
Be my guest - but keep in mind that this deckplan is only a modification of some else's work. Used for individual, private games it shouldn't be a problem, but uploading it where everyone and their grandma can access it might not be a good idea. I had some of my own graphics work stolen and spread around the net without any proper attribution and it kinda sucks so I have a lot of sympathy for anyone who throws a fit when they see their work (or derivatives thereof) distributed without permission. As long as everyone you share this deckplan with understands that we are golden.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

FragarachZ

I was thinking of resizing it and printing it on a A4 sheet basically as a visual aid for tabletop. My guys love that kind of stuff and can place their star wars minis at locations and battle stations they take, etc
O&O

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: FragarachZ on July 12, 2015, 05:02:56 AM
I was thinking of resizing it and printing it on a A4 sheet basically as a visual aid for tabletop. My guys love that kind of stuff and can place their star wars minis at locations and battle stations they take, etc
Sounds perfectly fine to me.  :-)

(Sonia Sotomayor)

FragarachZ

Okay, so at the moment we have

Batman4560 - Soldier/Gunner
FragarachZ - Pilot/Tech Specialist
hellrazoromega - Jedi Hermit
KirbysFolly - Survivalist
Muse - Gun Bunny/Face

I imagine the scout and jedi hermit might have known another and possible come from the same world? Perhaps the scout was sent to find the jedi in hiding to recruit them for the rebellion before? Bats and Muse's characters could be the standard crew of the Lucky Magpie? Muse's girl gets the job from contacts, Bats plays security/heavy lifting and my girl hides behind her meatshield flies them around and keeps everyone's gear maintained and records "updated"?

Bats, if you are still considering toughness, deadeye, rapid shot or burst fire (exclusive and based on playstyle) can help on the basis "it hurts you less if it's dead", and extra damage die are very mean if you're ship gunner since there's a multiplier.
O&O

Muse

So should I prioritise co-pilot or gunner? 

FragarachZ

Quote from: Muse on July 12, 2015, 08:44:52 AM
  So should I prioritise co-pilot or gunner?

What do you have so far? Bats posted a link to his sheet. Based on what attack options you have one of you can be copilot and the other gunner? We have one gunner seat on the ship, but keep in might we can also end up in different vehicles, like speeders or starfighters, or can't take the Magpie with us anywhere.
O&O

Muse

Knave of Hearts

Balto Rin was able to simultaniously pay off debts and get his daughter Nessa off of Ryloth by selling her to Kalto the Hutt. 

As a Hutt's slave, Nessa siezed every opertunity.  She learned a variety of langueges and skills.  She made friends with her Master's clients, building a network of connections.   

The key to a lot of her sucess was Sabacc.  Before she was old enough to 'entertain', she learned the game from the Hutt's gaurds.  She would entertain them in return for lessons in piloting and the use of blasters.  Later, she would sit on her master's guest's knee and blow on their dice, 'til it became known that she played a mean hand of Sabac herself, and became a prized opponent. 

At 22--after six years as a dancing girl--Nessa won her freedom in a game of Sabacc with her master.  After this event, she took the name, "Knave of Hearts," both because she liked it and because it was the high card in the straight flush of the winning hand.  In the three years since, she has made some friends and traveled the galaxy as a free agent.  It was after spending some time in the core worlds that the other wise happy-go-lucky girl was struck by the wrongness of the empire in this fashion:  "I was slave to a hut for 10 years, a ruthless criminal who trafficed in addiction, missery, and violence.  If I had angered him, he would have laughed while i was torn apart by pet his aklays.  My life during that time was better, happier, and safer than that of any slave to the Empire I've ever encountered. 

"The odds of a single girl making a diference in their lives by joining a band despeate, outgunned rebels are astronimcaly slim.  But I'm feeling lucky today." 

Bats: Go for Deadeye.  That would contrast our character's fighting styles nicely. 

Frag:  Link is in the name.  I'll switch Hyperdriven for Gambler and take VEhicular Combat.  Skill Focus: pilot, too, if that won't cut too deep into your schtick.

Muse

Oh, based on Batman's sheet I guess we're level 6? 

FragarachZ

Quote from: Muse on July 12, 2015, 09:03:29 AM
Frag:  Link is in the name.  I'll switch Hyperdriven for Gambler and take VEhicular Combat.  Skill Focus: pilot, too, if that won't cut too deep into your schtick.

It wants to ask for permission in email and I'd rather not have that.

I picked those because Anya was flying her ship most of her life. It's your call if your entertainer/gambler background gets you the same piloting skill. From your description it felt more like a luck type of thing for you? Not sure if you picked fool's luck which seems more in line with the lucky/gambling thing? It wouldn't stack with skill focus and would be global for all your skills so pretty versatile too.
O&O

Muse

Sorry, it should be universaly veiwable now. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Sa1LhfM0YDv3PrCHu3q8l6vDCNrNLA75rIcMRgHFPTo/edit?usp=sharing

I'll drop the Skill Focus: Pilot then.  Can we get a co-pilot controled weapon?  Or shall I drop Vehicular Combat, too? 

FragarachZ

It's your call how you feel about it. If you think she might have been with the crew for a while, keep it and then she and Anya would be able to swap roles every now and then. Like Anya lets her take over as pilot while she runs back to restore shields, regulate power or jury rigs it back in shape.
O&O

Cassandra LeMay

Muse, a few thoughts on your character: To have Acrobatics as a trained skill you'd need a Skill training feat, as it's not one of the Noble's class skills. One skill you might consider taking instead as one of your trained starting skills would be Knowledge: Bureaucracy. I know it sounds a bit lame, but it does include knowledge of customs regulations, local laws, and such. That might come in handy now and then.

As for gunnery / vehicle combat, don't forget that a copilot can use Aid Another in starship combat. You can use the sensors to help your gunners; it only take a DC 10 Use Computer check to provide a +2 bonus. Even without Use Computer as a trained skill you should be able to easily make that DC most of the time.

That said, I could agree to have the light laser cannons on the Magpie being controlled by either pilot or co-pilot, with a swift action required to shift control from one station to the other and back again. (The double blasters not so much, as I figure they should be fired from within the gun turret.)

As for the talents and feats, it's up to you. But if you can't decide between the Scoundrel talents, maybe make the character Nobel 1 / Scoundrel 5 instead of 2/4? For the moment you'd lose one point base attack and a noble bonus feat, but you would gain a third Scoundrel talent.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

hellrazoromega

Quote from: Cassandra LeMay on July 12, 2015, 02:41:07 AM

I think we just approach "building a character to a concept" differently. If this were one of my characters I would define the concept as "a healer and survivalist who has some force training" and pick classes to get me the abilities that fit that concept. Defining the concept in terms of classes right from the bat strikes me as limiting your options too much.

Anyway, I don't disagree with you about the poison treatment aspect of the Treat Injury skill, but I would say that knowing how to survive on one planet doesn't necessarily help you all that much with other situations unless you have some formal training or gained experience on a lot of different planets too. Not having Treat Injury as a trained skill doesn't mean your character isn't an expert about all kinds of poisons found on the planet he grew up on. It just makes it more of a character background element than a game mechanics element.

The Knowledge skills in Saga are very broad categories. Take Knowledge: Life Sciences and you have medicine covered, but also biology, botany, zoology.

Yeah Soldier just did not seem to fit to me (none of the talent trees seems to fit life for years surviving on a planet the way Scout does) Noble also does not make much sense to be based on the back story. But I freely admit I just think differently than most :shrugs:.

In any case no matter, I rethought the concept some and have switched her to a stealth sniper character with no real technical skills, thinking of working the angle that she had a rifle and some type of solar recharger to keep the energy cells charged up and learned to shoot to hunt for food. The Solider does not have stealth so I think the Scout fits a sniper type better.

This is what I have so far:  http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=272710

FragarachZ

Somehow, I don't think we'll be allowed to start with 6 destiny points each.
O&O

Cassandra LeMay

I'll take a look at the character sheet tomorrow. Right now lack of sleep is catching up with me so I'd like to ask for patience.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

Muse

Quote from: Cassandra LeMay on July 12, 2015, 11:50:01 AM
Muse, a few thoughts on your character: To have Acrobatics as a trained skill you'd need a Skill training feat, as it's not one of the Noble's class skills. One skill you might consider taking instead as one of your trained starting skills would be Knowledge: Bureaucracy. I know it sounds a bit lame, but it does include knowledge of customs regulations, local laws, and such. That might come in handy now and then.

As for gunnery / vehicle combat, don't forget that a copilot can use Aid Another in starship combat. You can use the sensors to help your gunners; it only take a DC 10 Use Computer check to provide a +2 bonus. Even without Use Computer as a trained skill you should be able to easily make that DC most of the time.

That said, I could agree to have the light laser cannons on the Magpie being controlled by either pilot or co-pilot, with a swift action required to shift control from one station to the other and back again. (The double blasters not so much, as I figure they should be fired from within the gun turret.)

As for the talents and feats, it's up to you. But if you can't decide between the Scoundrel talents, maybe make the character Nobel 1 / Scoundrel 5 instead of 2/4? For the moment you'd lose one point base attack and a noble bonus feat, but you would gain a third Scoundrel talent.

Acrobatics:  I got that as a trained skill at level 4 when I raised my inteligence from 13 to 14. 

I'm comfortable with these talents.  :) 

I could switch weapon finesse for a skill training if it would help that much to have buraucracy or use computers. 

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: Muse on July 13, 2015, 12:46:43 AM
Acrobatics:  I got that as a trained skill at level 4 when I raised my inteligence from 13 to 14. 

I'm comfortable with these talents.  :) 

I could switch weapon finesse for a skill training if it would help that much to have buraucracy or use computers.
Did you build her with 36 points? I believe I said 33 points and I can't get her stats to work with a 33 point build.

As for Weapon Finesse, that's your decision. I am not sure Finesse is all that useful in a SW game, compared to, say a D&D game, but if you like it, keep it.

Something else I noticed is that I can't find Skill Focus: Pilot under her feats, but the +5 bonus is listend under her skills. Did you, by any chance, plan on taking the skill focus and then changed your mind, forgetting to correct the skill list?

(Sonia Sotomayor)

hellrazoromega

Quote from: FragarachZ on July 12, 2015, 02:46:34 PM
Somehow, I don't think we'll be allowed to start with 6 destiny points each.

Yeah, I just out that in as a placeholder based on one per level since I have not played Saga edition in a long time, but it is not as if it is a completed sheet.   :-)

Batman4560

Quote from: Muse on July 13, 2015, 12:46:43 AM

I plan on going to Noble for a few levels when we hit lvl seven so I could take use computers and Buaracucy for some skills. If you want to keep your weapon finesse, also Cas can I message you about the idea I had for my character?

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: hellrazoromega on July 12, 2015, 02:00:49 PM
In any case no matter, I rethought the concept some and have switched her to a stealth sniper character with no real technical skills, thinking of working the angle that she had a rifle and some type of solar recharger to keep the energy cells charged up and learned to shoot to hunt for food. The Solider does not have stealth so I think the Scout fits a sniper type better.

This is what I have so far:  http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=272710
The character concept is pretty sound, but we'll have to work on some game mechanics. Edit: Sorry, only just now saw your comment that it's still a WIP.

The 33 points for the attributes are for the character at level 1. You do get the regular level 4 attribute increase on top of that. I think you didn't take the latter into account.

I assume your first level was as a Jedi? In that case you'd need to take Skill Training feats later on, to get Stealth and Survival as trained skills, during your time as a Scout. Then again, you have 6 trained skills listed, and starting as a Jedi you would have 4. Did you already intend to take those skill training feats and just forgot to list them in your list of feats?

Concerning skills: While it's not in the rulebook, it's official errata that the class skills for the Jedi should include Jump and Mechanics. You can take those for your starting skills too.

What species will it be? Human might be a good choice for the extra trained skill and feat.

Quote from: Batman4560 on July 13, 2015, 01:25:25 AM
I plan on going to Noble for a few levels when we hit lvl seven so I could take use computers and Buaracucy for some skills. If you want to keep your weapon finesse, also Cas can I message you about the idea I had for my character?
Sure, message away.

But you won't be able to take Use Computer or Bureaucracy before level 8, even if you add some Noble levels, as you wouldn't get a feat to buy Skill Training at level 7. But all in all it's probably not that important. You should have enough skills covered (as a group) to get by.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

KirbysFolly

I didn't misread the book did I? You do get two attribute increases at level 4, but they can't both be in the same attribute? I just wanted to double-check on that.

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: KirbysFolly on July 13, 2015, 01:57:19 AM
I didn't misread the book did I? You do get two attribute increases at level 4, but they can't both be in the same attribute? I just wanted to double-check on that.
Exactly. It's a +1 to two different attributes.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

Muse

Quote from: Cassandra LeMay on July 13, 2015, 01:13:02 AM
Did you build her with 36 points? I believe I said 33 points and I can't get her stats to work with a 33 point build.

As for Weapon Finesse, that's your decision. I am not sure Finesse is all that useful in a SW game, compared to, say a D&D game, but if you like it, keep it.

Something else I noticed is that I can't find Skill Focus: Pilot under her feats, but the +5 bonus is listend under her skills. Did you, by any chance, plan on taking the skill focus and then changed your mind, forgetting to correct the skill list?

33 point buy: 
Wait...  Did I mess up her dexterity? 

I did!  Should be 17 dexterity, not 18. 

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Strength       10   2
Dexterity       16   10   +1 Level 4
Constitution    12   4
Intelligence   13   5   +1 Level 4
Wisdom       14   6   -2 Racial
Charisma      14   6    +2 Racial

And that's wierd, I distinctly remember deleting the +5 from skill focus when I dropped it so as not to hone in on Frag's schtick. 

I'll change it to Skill Training: Bureaucracy. 

FragarachZ

Regarding what we have on the ship, I'd like to have (either assembled over time or courtesy of the rebel alliance) on the Lucky Magpie:
A set of field kits for the crew (2 at least)
A set of flight suit for the crew (2 at least)
A set of space suit for the crew (2 at least)
Several fire extinguisers
Lots of mesh tape (MacGyver taught me that you never know when duct tape will be handy)
1 power recharger
1 security kit
1 medical kit
2 tool kits (1 for on board repairs and 1 for an away team)
6 repulsor pads (officially for moving cargo, 2 for each cargo bay)

That way most requirements would be covered for skill-use requirements as long as we have access to the ship or can take stuff with us. Flight and space suits, fire extinguishers etc just make sense on a space ship. With all this we'd only have to worry about personal equipment.
If not, we'll have to assemble what we can when we figure out how much starting money we get.

Edit: Cass, you're okwith the statblock I posted/sent or do you want me to fill out a character sheet?
O&O

Cassandra LeMay

I'll get back to you later today about the stats. Now on to equipment, for now:

Some of what you ask for I would probably have given you anyway so most of it it okay with me, with a small changes:

The space suits should cover most of your needs for environmental protection, meaning I don't think you'll need the flight suits. But since you may need some protection fast and can't always take the time to don a spacesuit I'll throw in two breath masks, and 12 spare atmosphere filters and canisters for each (in addition to the ones you have in the field kits). Having some gas masks at hand in case of a fire makes sense, and you don't always have time to get them out of a field kit.

Speaking of fire extinguishers: 4 extinguishers with 2 replacement cartridges for each should cover all your needs.

Repulsor pads: Do these things even have game stats? That aside, I think one for each cargo bay is more than enough. A small freighter usually operates with a crew of 1 or 2 people so you won't be able to make use of more than 2 most of the time anyway. And most spaceports should have some at hand for loading and unloading ships, i.e. you won#t have to bring your own in many cases anyway.

Tool kits: Take 1, and instead of the second tool kit I'll give you 1 utility belt. That contains a toolkit too, and might come in handy.

That the Security Kit isn't exactly legal reminded me of something: What I don't have on the deckplan yet is the smuggler's compartment. Where would you like it?

(Sonia Sotomayor)

FragarachZ

I imagined Anya wearing a flight suit without the helmet most of the time. I'll buy one with credits then if I can afford it. Space suits are for spacewalks or going out nto asteroids I guess, making hull repairs or blasting mynocks chewing on the ship while in space.

Repulsor pads were statted in either the scout or scoundrel related books but their stats are irrelevant. I want backups on us in case we need to carry possibly heavy stuff with us fast and silent, or smuggle someone in crates, etc. Three should suffice unless we rig something to blow up and send them floating in on these things.

The smugglers compartment would be under/between the captain's quarters and the adjacent cargo hold. A smaller compartment (enough for a few items or weapons at most) would be accessible from the captain's quarters and the most of it as a seperate space from that cargo hold (for actual cargo).
O&O

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: FragarachZ on July 13, 2015, 04:00:56 AM
Edit: Cass, you're okwith the statblock I posted/sent or do you want me to fill out a character sheet?
The stat block is okay with me. No need to fill out a character sheet.

Are you certain about giving Anya a hold-out blaster as her sidearm? A sporting blaster would cost the same, be not quite as illegal, has a stun setting, and offers a lot more shots if run on a power pack. Granted, the hold-out is much easier to conceal, but that comes at the prize of quite a few drawbacks.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

FragarachZ

Hm, yeah I guess a sporting blaster would be more appropiate. Let's make it so then.

Oh, that will be fun to say during space combat on the ship. "Captain, should I reroute shield power?" "Make it so!"
O&O

hellrazoromega

Quote from: Cassandra LeMay on July 13, 2015, 01:41:12 AM
The character concept is pretty sound, but we'll have to work on some game mechanics. Edit: Sorry, only just now saw your comment that it's still a WIP.

The 33 points for the attributes are for the character at level 1. You do get the regular level 4 attribute increase on top of that. I think you didn't take the latter into account.

I assume your first level was as a Jedi? In that case you'd need to take Skill Training feats later on, to get Stealth and Survival as trained skills, during your time as a Scout. Then again, you have 6 trained skills listed, and starting as a Jedi you would have 4. Did you already intend to take those skill training feats and just forgot to list them in your list of feats?

Concerning skills: While it's not in the rulebook, it's official errata that the class skills for the Jedi should include Jump and Mechanics. You can take those for your starting skills too.

What species will it be? Human might be a good choice for the extra trained skill and feat.

Yeah I need to take skill training survival with the changes I was making I was tossing stuff around and missed that. I am going human for the extra feat and skill.

On stats. My initial spread was 11,17,12,13,13,11 which I believe comes out to 33 points I then took the +1 to Cha, and since the character is middle age I took one away from all physical and added one to each mental stat. Which comes to what I have on the sheet---unless I did something in error, which is entirely possible. And I am only assuming at this point I will have enough to afford a blaster carbine---if not I can alter it later.

Still WIP but updated so feats and spelled them out a bit more. http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=272710

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: hellrazoromega on July 13, 2015, 05:23:41 PM
Yeah I need to take skill training survival with the changes I was making I was tossing stuff around and missed that. I am going human for the extra feat and skill.

On stats. My initial spread was 11,17,12,13,13,11 which I believe comes out to 33 points I then took the +1 to Cha, and since the character is middle age I took one away from all physical and added one to each mental stat. Which comes to what I have on the sheet---unless I did something in error, which is entirely possible. And I am only assuming at this point I will have enough to afford a blaster carbine---if not I can alter it later.

Still WIP but updated so feats and spelled them out a bit more. http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=272710
Your character may be too old for the concept you had in mind, i.e. a youngling who escaped the Jedi purge. The Jedi purge happened about 23 or 24 years ago. If your character was a youngling then (say 10-12 or so) she would be in her mid-30s, placing her in the adult category with no age-based attribute modifiers. That would allow (for example) for an initial build of 10, 16, 12, 14, 14, 13  with the +1/+1 added at level 4. If you want to go with an older character I have no objections, but your character couldn't have been a youngling during the time of the Jedi purge and you'd have to rework the character background a bit.

Skill modifier for level is half your character level, i.e. +3 instead of the +1 currently listed on your sheet.

Don't forget to take the extra trained skill for being human if you  go with an older character. With your current build you'd still have one more skill, as the Int increase due to age grants you an extra bonus skill retroactively for a total of 7 (2 jedi, 2 Int, 2 training, 1 human).

Have you considered taking a Skill Focus with use the Force? You could give up the Weapon Focus feat for that extra +5  to use the force. Might be worth that 1 extra point on lightsaber attacks.

The blaster carbine is okay.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

FragarachZ

Quote from: Cassandra LeMay on July 14, 2015, 02:04:31 AM
Have you considered taking a Skill Focus with use the Force? You could give up the Weapon Focus feat for that extra +5  to use the force. Might be worth that 1 extra point on lightsaber attacks.

I agree. Deflect will have little value if you need an above average roll to even successfully activate it, and you already have evasion to protect from autofire. And lightsaber focus could come in to play even less, as using a lightsaber and not instantly taking out threats would likely just draw more attention. If a saber is not your primary means of fighting, it might be just an alternative or last resort. Skill focus UtF if force using will be your main thing, or an extra skill would be useful, as we already have a dedicated scout and all your other skills seem to be personal/passive skills outside of tracking. It's your call though, just my two creds.
Edit: just saw that you had skilled advisor
O&O

Cassandra LeMay

One thing we should figure out while we are still setting up the characters is what forum section should this game be in.

As I said earlier, I am not terribly interested in writing smut or sex scenes, but rather an adventure story. That should not stop anyone from writing sex scenes involving their characters, just that I might be the wrong person to look to when it comes to a writing partner for them - i.e. I am perfectly fine with you folks having your characters get into the sexy smexy stuff among yourselves. I might have an NPC participate in the occasional sex scene, but it's hardly my primary goal or game focus.

Heck, as long as we keep the violence to the PG cinematic "you shoot him, he goes down and doesn't get up again" level we could even place this game in the non-adult board, but I want to hear from you guys what you have in mind and where you see the adult content of this game going. I'm not going to make a call on this without getting some comments first.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

FragarachZ

I'm totally ok with sexy scenes among the group (though I'm more interested in the "old fashioned" MxF pairing than FxF). As long as it doesn't go beyond that, it seems like human or exotic light? Or if we'll have big sleazeball hutts and other aliens licking the twi'lek girls... I guess it's all up to what may happen in the story. You're the one who knows where the story can take us, if we keep sexyness only within the group I doub't anyone will rape the others as we're supposed to be a bunch of heroes.
As far as violence level goes I'm not looking for details on brain splatter seeping between floor tiles, but I like colorful, descriptive creative combat. I like to know where someone is hit, how they turn a deadly hit into a near miss, and in tougher battles it's often gratifying to have the enemy go down in a spectacular fashion. I will also try to improvise a lot in using surroundings, ranging from hacking the lights to create shadows to hide in, turning on the fire extinguisher systems to create obscured areas, overloading power condiuts to blow up electrocute possible enemies etc.
It's also not beneath me to offer sexual favors as a bargaining chip, or seeing how my current character would have some insecurities encourage such for other players ;)
O&O

hellrazoromega

Yeah I think I will stick with the older character and make the loss have happened well before the purge. I did switch out for the skill focus. After all that I rethought her story to her being stranded on a planet with a race that did not have star faring capability, her dealings with these people made her more of a negotiator and diplomat rather since she did not have to worry about survival as much. With that I took the noble class and went back to my healer/negotiator idea. Stats 11,17,13,12,12,12 took age adjustments and then +1 to Cha and Wis.  Adjusted my dice rolls for HP .
2015-07-14 15:22:09   At 2015-07-14 15:22:09, hellrazoromega (uid: 57374) rolls: 2d10 Result: 9
2015-07-14 15:10:34   At 2015-07-14 15:10:34, hellrazoromega (uid: 57374) rolls: 3d6 Result: 10

Still WIP but getting there.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=272710

Cassandra LeMay

Bit of a change there, to put it mildy, but it looks pretty solid to me. Don't forget the +2 (instead of +1) Will Resistance bonus you'll get from the Noble class and make certain you do add the +3 instead of +1 for skill bonus from character levels (is that the sheet messing up?). I'll give you a final verdict when you say you are done with here, but it looks to me like she's pretty good.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

FragarachZ

Having exchanged PMs with some of the others, background-wise it seems so far that my character Anya was working against the anti-alien empire and mercing for the rebellion to get enough credits and purchase the freedom of her family from a crime lord.
On a risky mission she accepted, she was meant to smuggle goods to and from a wartorn planet with local feuds. She was caught in an explosion that seriously injured her and Batman4560's character saved her life with some first aid and then by taking her to a surgeon. He joined up when she offered a position on her ship and to join the fight against the empire's opression and domination of system after system.
When Muse's girl won her freedom from the same crime lord who keeps Anya's family as slaves, Anya took her in to learn as much as she could about her family and the hutt's cartel, as well as hoping to get back at the sleazeball one day.

Now we just have to figure out how the remaining two characters fit into the picture?
O&O

hellrazoromega

Quote from: Cassandra LeMay on July 14, 2015, 03:47:29 PM
Bit of a change there, to put it mildy, but it looks pretty solid to me. Don't forget the +2 (instead of +1) Will Resistance bonus you'll get from the Noble class and make certain you do add the +3 instead of +1 for skill bonus from character levels (is that the sheet messing up?). I'll give you a final verdict when you say you are done with here, but it looks to me like she's pretty good.
yeah the + 1 Is just the  standard value on the sheet and have not changed it yet. The noble angle just came to me so I went with  it. I need to switch the blaster to a light one and make the adjustments you pointed  out. Other than that what was the decision on how much money/equipment we start  with, I missed it.

Edit:
Yeah It was the way I had my levels on the sheet--should be fixed now.
And a bit of a background.

Background
Kylen Jan-Tarsis Was a Jedi youngling on a training outing when the cruiser she was traveling in encountered a hyperspace anomaly which threw it thousands of light-years off course and caused major damages to the vessel. The Ship crash landed on a remote planet inhabited by a race known as the Viskoo. Fortunately the Viskoo spoke a dialect similar to Huttese, a lay over from a time long ago when a hyperspace lane had passed near the planet. Kylen and the few survivors we taken in by a pastoral community and nursed back to health. Over the years the survivors, a Jedi master, 3 youngling and some of the crew formed a bond with the community and help them settle disputes with band of nomads who preyed on pastoralists. The Viskoo were a simple people with no advance technology so there was little hope of escape for the survivors. Kylen was able to master negotiation and learn healing from some of the other survivors. Over the years, accidents and violence took the lives of all of the outsiders but Kylen.

Many years had passed when a smuggler vessel which had encountered a similar anomaly, but which had fared much better structurally, set down on the planet for repairs. Kylen was able to hitch a ride with the smugglers and returned to a galaxy very different from the one she had left. The Republic was gone, the Jedi dead, and the Empire ruled with an iron fist.  Kylen spent the next several years hiding out with various groups in the Outer Rim, smugglers, traders, and other scallywags who saw her value for healing and negotiation.

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: hellrazoromega on July 14, 2015, 04:40:16 PM
Yeah It was the way I had my levels on the sheet--should be fixed now.
And a bit of a background.

Background
Kylen Jan-Tarsis Was a Jedi youngling on a training outing when the cruiser she was traveling in encountered a hyperspace anomaly which threw it thousands of light-years off course and caused major damages to the vessel. The Ship crash landed on a remote planet inhabited by a race known as the Viskoo. Fortunately the Viskoo spoke a dialect similar to Huttese, a lay over from a time long ago when a hyperspace lane had passed near the planet. Kylen and the few survivors we taken in by a pastoral community and nursed back to health. Over the years the survivors, a Jedi master, 3 youngling and some of the crew formed a bond with the community and help them settle disputes with band of nomads who preyed on pastoralists. The Viskoo were a simple people with no advance technology so there was little hope of escape for the survivors. Kylen was able to master negotiation and learn healing from some of the other survivors. Over the years, accidents and violence took the lives of all of the outsiders but Kylen.

Many years had passed when a smuggler vessel which had encountered a similar anomaly, but which had fared much better structurally, set down on the planet for repairs. Kylen was able to hitch a ride with the smugglers and returned to a galaxy very different from the one she had left. The Republic was gone, the Jedi dead, and the Empire ruled with an iron fist.  Kylen spent the next several years hiding out with various groups in the Outer Rim, smugglers, traders, and other scallywags who saw her value for healing and negotiation.
Background looks good to me.

A small problem with the character sheet: I think you have one skill too many. I count 7 trained skills, but you would get 2(jedi class) +1(Int bonus) +1(human bonus) +2(skill training feats) == 6.

Once that is fixed I'd say the Kylen is good to go, but I would still like to present you with an alternative build along the same lines:

I think you should really consider starting out in the Noble class. Kylen could have had a good, solid education before joining the Jedi order, then taken her Jedi levels during her padawan years, then the next two Noble levels while stranded on that planet. Heck, using the Noble class as a starting point could still mean being trained as a jedi from early childhood, just not with the lightsaber & athletics training as an initial focus.
You would lose Mechanics as a trained skill, but end up with a braod skill set from the noble class skills. You would also lose out on hit points, but gain Linguist for 2 bonus langauges and have your level 6 feat to use for whatever you like (options that might be useful could be: an extra Force Training, Improved Defenses, Rapid Strike, Force Boon, Strong in the Force)

That build would break down like this:
Starting Feats  for a Noble: Linguist, WP Pistols, WP Simple Weapons
Lvl 1: Force Sensitive
Human bonus feat: Force Training
Lvl 3: Force Training
Noble 2: Weapon Finesse
Jedi 1: WP Lightsaber
Jedi 2: Skill Focus - Use the Force
Lvl 6: ? ? ?

Trained skills: Gather Info, Knowledge, Perception, Persuasion, Pilot, Treat Injury, Use the Force, +1 other from the noble list (Deception, Ride, Use Computer, or another Knowledge skill)

Gaining Persuasion as a trained skill and having the extra bonus languages could fit your concept nicely, and the Lvl 6 feat you can still pick could be useful.

Quote from: FragarachZ on July 14, 2015, 03:48:54 PM
Now we just have to figure out how the remaining two characters fit into the picture?
Maybe we shouldn't. Having the other two characters assigned to this mission by Alliance command leaves us a bit more room for roleplaying, as the characters would have to get acquainted. I think that would make for a better game than everyone already being familiar with each other.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

FragarachZ

Quote from: Cassandra LeMay on July 15, 2015, 03:00:23 AM
Maybe we shouldn't. Having the other two characters assigned to this mission by Alliance command leaves us a bit more room for roleplaying, as the characters would have to get acquainted. I think that would make for a better game than everyone already being familiar with each other.

Whatever you say boss!
How many credits worth of personal belongings, force points and destiny points do we start with?
O&O

KirbysFolly

I haven't died or anything, but I did have a very busy week at work.

I was thinking that having my character assigned by the Alliance would probably be a good idea anyway, so that's definitely fine with me. She'd probably have been given a lift off-world by somebody with connections, then spent some time getting training with the Rebels.

I figured she's a hunter/wilderness survival expert, who ended up settling on a planet with a new colony. Local wildlife was very dangerous, and when the Empire moved in, they didn't bother much with discussing safety with the locals before shipping in a mining crew. When the mining crew went missing, the Empire demanded that the colonists find out what happened. When the colony's hunters came back with the few survivors, the Empire burned the forest around the mineral deposits, starting dangerous wildfires and driving local predators away from their nests.

She's learned to be a careful, accurate shot while hunting and escorting colonists, and the Alliance has given her training in using her skills in nonwilderness settings.

Since the mechanics skill governs explosives in Saga, I thought she might have been given some rudimentary demolitions training as well. Nothing amazing or precise, but she can turn a wall into a wall with a rough new door, and a nice AA turret into less-nice scrap.

As for connections, I would actually be okay with her being new to everybody in the group, or just having one or two existing connections. Being new may be the better fit though.

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: FragarachZ on July 15, 2015, 03:10:03 AM
Whatever you say boss!
Boss? I feel like Gibbs from NCIS right now.  ;D

Quote from: FragarachZ on July 15, 2015, 03:10:03 AMHow many credits worth of personal belongings, force points and destiny points do we start with?
Force Points are easy: 5 + half level, as per the regular rules.

Destiny Points: Depends. Does your character have a destiny? You don't have to have one (thereby avoiding the possible penalty that comes with going against your destiny).  If you'd like to have a destiny, would you like me to chose it for your character? That asked I would say maybe 3 Destiny Points for those who do have a destiny.

Starting credits I'll let you know once all character sheets are finished. I am still thinking about it, but since we will start the game with a mission briefing scene you will have some time to decide what to use your credits for while we are already playing through the opening scene. As long as everyone is settlet when the crew boards the Magpie we are golden.

Quote from: KirbysFolly on July 15, 2015, 04:52:54 AM
I haven't died or anything, but I did have a very busy week at work.

It happens, no worries.  :-)

Character background sounds fine by me. That's about all I can say for now without a character sheet, but I am sure we can work something out that works for you and the group. But if explosives are your thing I would suggest at least one level of Soldier to pick up the Demolitionist talent. It's a bit more than "rudimentary training" I suppose, but it might still fit the bill.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

FragarachZ

Quote from: Cassandra LeMay on July 15, 2015, 05:30:42 AM
Destiny Points: Depends. Does your character have a destiny? You don't have to have one (thereby avoiding the possible penalty that comes with going against your destiny).  If you'd like to have a destiny, would you like me to chose it for your character? That asked I would say maybe 3 Destiny Points for those who do have a destiny.

Probably rescue, as her long term goal is to either purchase or win the freedom of her family.
O&O

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: FragarachZ on July 15, 2015, 05:34:20 AM
Probably rescue, as her long term goal is to either purchase or win the freedom of her family.
I'd say that's a goal, not a destiny.

Destinies gotta be bigger than the fate of a single family, as important as that may be to a character.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

FragarachZ

Yeah, Luke and the others already did all the major things to do in this time. So unless there is more to know about the status quo we won't be able to specify a destiny and you'll have to give us secret ones.
O&O

KirbysFolly

It happens, no worries.  :-)

Character background sounds fine by me. That's about all I can say for now without a character sheet, but I am sure we can work something out that works for you and the group. But if explosives are your thing I would suggest at least one level of Soldier to pick up the Demolitionist talent. It's a bit more than "rudimentary training" I suppose, but it might still fit the bill.

Oh, I'd already posted it a while back, I didn't realize you hadn't seen it!

Here's the link to the character sheet.

And here's the character portrait.

Cassandra LeMay

Oh. Okay. I did see that, but somehow I wasn't sure if it was a WIP or not and then it toally slipped my mind. Sorry.  :-( I'm off for today, but I'll take a close look first thing in the morning, promise.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

hellrazoromega

Quote from: Cassandra LeMay on July 15, 2015, 03:00:23 AM
Background looks good to me.

A small problem with the character sheet: I think you have one skill too many. I count 7 trained skills, but you would get 2(jedi class) +1(Int bonus) +1(human bonus) +2(skill training feats) == 6.

Once that is fixed I'd say the Kylen is good to go, but I would still like to present you with an alternative build along the same lines:

I think you should really consider starting out in the Noble class. Kylen could have had a good, solid education before joining the Jedi order, then taken her Jedi levels during her padawan years, then the next two Noble levels while stranded on that planet. Heck, using the Noble class as a starting point could still mean being trained as a jedi from early childhood, just not with the lightsaber & athletics training as an initial focus.
You would lose Mechanics as a trained skill, but end up with a braod skill set from the noble class skills. You would also lose out on hit points, but gain Linguist for 2 bonus langauges and have your level 6 feat to use for whatever you like (options that might be useful could be: an extra Force Training, Improved Defenses, Rapid Strike, Force Boon, Strong in the Force)

That build would break down like this:
Starting Feats  for a Noble: Linguist, WP Pistols, WP Simple Weapons
Lvl 1: Force Sensitive
Human bonus feat: Force Training
Lvl 3: Force Training
Noble 2: Weapon Finesse
Jedi 1: WP Lightsaber
Jedi 2: Skill Focus - Use the Force
Lvl 6: ? ? ?

Trained skills: Gather Info, Knowledge, Perception, Persuasion, Pilot, Treat Injury, Use the Force, +1 other from the noble list (Deception, Ride, Use Computer, or another Knowledge skill)

Gaining Persuasion as a trained skill and having the extra bonus languages could fit your concept nicely, and the Lvl 6 feat you can still pick could be useful.

I was figureing I did not need Persuasion since I have the Force Persuasion talent which lets me us my Use the Force skill for persuasion checks--So I though it would be a waste to pick that skill, or is that not correct?

Yeah I had forgotten I was playing with the stats and dropped the Int from a +2 mod to a +1 mod. I switched my sats increase from Wis to Int to retain that skill and get the extra languages, from base and linguist.

The rest makes sense, I'll go with that. Also dropped her age a bit to 45.

Muse

Oh, hey.  I like her.  I think the knowlege you want is Galactic Lore or Life Sciences.  :) 

hellrazoromega

Boss? I feel like Gibbs from NCIS right now.  ;D
Lol, I have been binge watching that from season one since last week.

Quote from: Muse on July 15, 2015, 06:32:06 PM
  Oh, hey.  I like her.  I think the knowledge you want is Galactic Lore or Life Sciences.  :)
Yeah I think Galactic Lore sounds good and I put Xenobiology when I meant Life Sciences so for the other skill from upping my Int I will take Galactic Lore.

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: hellrazoromega on July 15, 2015, 10:58:19 PM
Yeah I think Galactic Lore sounds good and I put Xenobiology when I meant Life Sciences so for the other skill from upping my Int I will take Galactic Lore.

Quote from: hellrazoromega on July 15, 2015, 05:58:10 PM
I was figureing I did not need Persuasion since I have the Force Persuasion talent which lets me us my Use the Force skill for persuasion checks--So I though it would be a waste to pick that skill, or is that not correct?
I knew I had forgotten to comment on something.  :-[

Force Persuasion needs Adept Negotiator as a prerequisite. So to take Force Persuasion you'd have to replace your Skilled Advisor talent with Adept Negotiator. You might be better of taking Persuasion as a trained skill and picking another talent than Force Persuasion.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: KirbysFolly on July 15, 2015, 02:35:10 PM
Oh, I'd already posted it a while back, I didn't realize you hadn't seen it!

Here's the link to the character sheet.
Looks pretty good to me. Only question is if you are certain about starting out at level 5 instead of 6. If so, she's good to go in my opinion.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

hellrazoromega

Quote from: Cassandra LeMay on July 16, 2015, 12:30:07 AM
I knew I had forgotten to comment on something.  :-[

Force Persuasion needs Adept Negotiator as a prerequisite. So to take Force Persuasion you'd have to replace your Skilled Advisor talent with Adept Negotiator. You might be better of taking Persuasion as a trained skill and picking another talent than Force Persuasion.
Ah yes damn prereqs at the bottom of the entry, I always mix those up. So I'll drop Galactic Lore take persuasion and Adept Negotiator since it is the prereq for most everything in that tree.

Batman4560

KirbysFolly

Oh, for some reason I thought we'd decided to start at level 5 anyway.

Ah, yeah, I'll stick with 5 for now, actually. Then if she seems too weak in something, I can pick a different direction and work on that sooner.

Cassandra LeMay

Time to put the finishing touches to the characters.

@Batman: Kooth looks good to me. Just don't forget to specify his Weapon Focus, once we are done with equipment.

@Frag: Anya is good to go. Just one suggestion (and it's really not more than a suggestion): Maybe take Bocce instead of Shyriiwook as a bonus language? Bocce is a trade language used in many parts of the galaxy. Might make more sense for your character to have that.

@Hellrazor: I think we got confused about your skills along the way. Right now I count 7 trained skills, but starting out as a Noble you'd have 9 (6class + 2Int + 1human bonus). So you can take your Knowledge:Galactic Lore and another from the Noble list. Once you added the two skills not yet defined I'd say Kylen is finished.

@Kirby: You get two bonus languages for high Intelligence. Once you picked those, Dari should be good to go.

@Muse: Can you post (or PM me) your character sheet again, please? I have one version, but I want to make certain we are both working on the same character sheet. Going by what I have your character should be okay, but best to make certain.

@All, I'll let you know about starting credits/equipment within the next 24 hours, then spend a day or two working out a little bit more background for the game. If nothing unforseen happens I think we should be ready to start on Sunday, or Monday at the latest.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

hellrazoromega

Sweet since we will have time to purchase other gear In game then this should do. Added Deception.

FragarachZ

Bocce does make more sense. Shyrywook was more or less a placeholder for who or whatever would turn out as her meatshield :)

Anya Idrall         CL 6

Destiny 3; Force 8
Languages Basic, Binary, Bocce, Huttese, Lekku, Ryl

Defenses Ref 22 (flat-footed 18), Fort 20, Will 17; Evasion, Vehicular Combat
hp 48; Threshold 20

Speed 6 squares
Melee by weapon +3
Ranged sporting blaster +7 (3d4+3)
Base Atk +3; Grp +7
Special Actions Gimmick

Feats Point Blank Shot, Skill Focus (Mechanics, Pilot, Stealth, Use Computer), Vehicular Combat, Weapon Proficiency (pistols, rifles, simple weapons)
Skills Acrobatics +12, Deception +9 (may reroll but must keep the result of the reroll even if worse), Knowledge (technology) +11, Mechanics +16, Pilot +17, Stealth +17, Use Computer +16 (may Issue Routine Command as swift action; may reroll to improve access to a computer and keep the better result)
Possessions utility belt, sporting blaster

Lucky Magpie

As stock YT-1300 except:
> Hyperdrive x1
> Combat Thrusters
> Shields (SR 35)

On board equipment:
A set of field kits for the crew (2)
A set of space suit for the crew (2)
2 breath masks, 24 spare atmospheric canisters
4 fire extinguishers +8 replacement cartridges
Lots of mesh tape
1 power recharger
1 security kit
1 medical kit
1 tool kit
3 repulsor pads (1 in each cargo bay)
O&O

hellrazoromega

Any one have any suggestions for goo languages? Other than Huttese I just have some placeholders I know off the top of my head. Right now I have Rodese, Ryl, Bothese, Boccae, and Huttese.

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: FragarachZ on July 16, 2015, 04:02:04 AM
On board equipment:
A set of field kits for the crew (5)
A set of space suit for the crew (5)
I think we may have misunderstood each other when we talked about the equipment on board the Magpie. When you said "for the crew" I was thinking about the standard crew of a YT-1300, which is 2 people. 5 spacesuits and field kits is too much. If you really want to have all that equipment we'll have to reduce something else, but I really don't see everyone in the group needing a space suit and a field kit so I would suggest we reduce that to 2 each, instead of bringing something else down.

Quote from: hellrazoromega on July 16, 2015, 04:12:34 AM
Any one have any suggestions for goo languages? Other than Huttese I just have some placeholders I know off the top of my head. Right now I have Rodese, Ryl, Bothese, Boccae, and Huttese.
Binary is always an option. For a well-educated character High Galactic might be fitting too. It's not in common use, more akin to Latin is in our world, but it might suit your character. Durese might be an option too, as the Duros are a species of space travelers and explorers. I figure you can run into some Duros in many places of the galaxy.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

FragarachZ

Okay fine. But I won't be the one going out to pry mynocks off power cables!
O&O

Muse

Knave of Hearts

Balto Rin was able to simultaniously pay off debts and get his daughter Nessa off of Ryloth by selling her to Kalto the Hutt. 

As a Hutt's slave, Nessa siezed every opertunity.  She learned a variety of langueges and skills.  She made friends with her Master's clients, building a network of connections.   

The key to a lot of her sucess was Sabacc.  Before she was old enough to 'entertain', she learned the game from the Hutt's gaurds.  She would entertain them in return for lessons in piloting and the use of blasters.  Later, she would sit on her master's guest's knee and blow on their dice, 'til it became known that she played a mean hand of Sabac herself, and became a prized opponent. 

At 22--after six years as a dancing girl--Nessa won her freedom in a game of Sabacc with her master.  After this event, she took the name, "Knave of Hearts," both because she liked it and because it was the high card in the straight flush of the winning hand.  In the three years since, she has made some friends and traveled the galaxy as a free agent.  It was after spending some time in the core worlds that the other wise happy-go-lucky girl was struck by the wrongness of the empire in this fashion:  "I was slave to a hut for 10 years, a ruthless criminal who trafficed in addiction, missery, and violence.  If I had angered him, he would have laughed while i was torn apart by pet his aklays.  My life during that time was better, happier, and safer than that of any slave to the Empire I've ever encountered. 

"The odds of a single girl making a diference in their lives by joining a band despeate, outgunned rebels are astronimcaly slim.  But I'm feeling lucky today." 

KirbysFolly

Okay, picked two languages (Huttese and Durese), and rolled my hit points. Here's the sheet again, for ease of access.

My hit points, WHERE I WAS ROBBED, DICEBOT. ROBBED. At 2015-07-16 13:48:40, Dari Nommev (uid: 54482) rolls: 4d8 Result: 16

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: Muse on July 16, 2015, 01:40:50 PM
Knave of Hearts

Thanks.

You get two more languages than you have already specified. Any idea yet what you are going to take?

You also listed 3 destiny points on your sheet. What do you have in mind for your destiny - or should I pick one in secret?

Quote from: KirbysFolly on July 16, 2015, 01:53:03 PM
My hit points, WHERE I WAS ROBBED, DICEBOT. ROBBED. At 2015-07-16 13:48:40, Dari Nommev (uid: 54482) rolls: 4d8 Result: 16
Yep, you were totally cheated by a result so much lower than the 4d8 average of 18.  :D

(Sonia Sotomayor)

Muse

Destiny:  You should pick one for me in secret.  i have no idea what destinies will be apropriate to your plot.  And I really don't know what you'll consider apropriate to merit a destiny.  I was surprised that you'd sugest toherwise. 

It doesn't even have to be rescue  I'd be just as ahppy with discovery or destruction. 

Miroque

Is this game still taking applications `? (totally missed this add....poor me..)

KirbysFolly

Quote from: Cassandra LeMay on July 16, 2015, 01:58:23 PM
Yep, you were totally cheated by a result so much lower than the 4d8 average of 18.  :D

I'm glad you understand my pain.

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: Miroque on July 16, 2015, 02:35:31 PM
Is this game still taking applications `? (totally missed this add....poor me..)
I hate to turn players down, but I think the 5 players we already have are as much as I'll feel comfortable dealing with. Sorry.  :-(

Quote from: Muse on July 16, 2015, 02:18:08 PM
Destiny:  You should pick one for me in secret.  i have no idea what destinies will be apropriate to your plot.  And I really don't know what you'll consider apropriate to merit a destiny.  I was surprised that you'd sugest toherwise.
Well, I actually have no idea what will become of the destinies the characters have. I don't have a complete outline for a big campaign yet. There will be a few key encounters, some scenes that are bound to happen, but I can also see several possible resolutions to the main plot. It'll depend on what you people do, which way you go, so I am not planning every detail right now.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

Miroque

@Cassandra May: I understand. Too bad, and hope you got good game. (vanishes from stalking this thread)

Muse

Sorry we didnt' get to play together Miroque. 

Cass, what do we need before we can start now?  :) 

Last I checked, i'd added Bocce to my languges and kept one open. 

Do any PCs speak a primary languege I don't? 

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: Muse on July 17, 2015, 02:25:03 AM
Cass, what do we need before we can start now?  :)
One or two answers to the small character detail questions I asked earlier, equipment (about which I will post today), plus me figuring out a few more background details and making the threads we'll need. Right now I am going through my image collections for useful stuff, making a few NPCs, and stuff like that. I could probably work on a lot of that while we run the opening scenes of the game, but I don't want to bite off more than I can chew; I'd rather frontload the game with background work on my part, instead of asking everyone to hold later, while I scramble to fill in some blanks I should have covered. Not to mention that we'll start with a mission briefing and I guess I should have the briefing officer be prepared with all there is to know.  ;)

Quote from: Muse on July 17, 2015, 02:25:03 AMLast I checked, i'd added Bocce to my languges and kept one open. 

What I have on your character sheet are Basic, Ryl, Lekku (which you get right off the bat), plus Bocce, Dosh, and Huttese. Aside from your basics you get 2 for your Int bonus, and another 1+2=3 for Linguist, i.e. a total of 5 bonus languages, of which you have specified 3 at the moment.

Quote from: Muse on July 17, 2015, 02:25:03 AMDo any PCs speak a primary languege I don't?
Weeeellll there are two Zabrak characters in the group...  ;)

But I wouldn't worry about that too much. There are so many languages spoken in the galaxy, so many options to pick from, not every choice a character makes will lead to an optimal result, or it might come in handy at the most unexpected time. Just look at Lando. How many times do you thing he wondered if learning Sullustese was a good choice, only to end up with a Sullustan co-pilot for the attack run on the 2nd Death Star?  ;)

(Sonia Sotomayor)

Batman4560

If there is anything I can do to help please let me know! I'm happy to help.

FragarachZ

Muse if you could justify picking High Galactic, she Hearts could likely pass as an expensive and fancy courtesan, sitting in rich people's laps and blowing their...dice.
O&O

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: Batman4560 on July 17, 2015, 02:57:28 AM
If there is anything I can do to help please let me know! I'm happy to help.

Nope, don't think so. I just have to get my act together and that's nothing you can really help me with, I'm afraid.

EDIT: Actually... would you consider reworking your character slightly to include Knowledge:Tactics? Maybe drop one of your feats for an extra Skill Training, or maybe swap out Pilot for it? Given the intelligence-gathering nature of the mission, having someone on the team who can interpret military movements would make some sense, I guess. It's not really necessary, but it might still make sense.

Quote from: FragarachZ on July 17, 2015, 03:09:23 AM
Muse if you could justify picking High Galactic, she Hearts could likely pass as an expensive and fancy courtesan, sitting in rich people's laps and blowing their...dice.
Question is how happy she would be to play that role. ... Then again, sometimes a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do.  ;D

(Sonia Sotomayor)

Muse

Quote from: FragarachZ on July 17, 2015, 03:09:23 AM

I think that's an excelent idea. 

Oh?  Lekku is free?  nice! 

Batman4560

FragarachZ

Quote from: Muse on July 17, 2015, 03:41:38 AM

Now she'll bring class and british accent to the Magpie! :P

And yeah Lekku is free if you have lekku. We can sign language behind the other's back! It'll be like passing notes in class back in school!
O&O

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: FragarachZ on July 17, 2015, 03:54:47 AM
And yeah Lekku is free if you have lekku. We can sign language behind the other's back! It'll be like passing notes in class back in school!
I think it's actaully better than passing notes or using a real-world sign language. Those might be easy to recognize, even if you can't understand what's being said, but using lekku an outsider might have trouble destinguishing actual sign language from what could be just "gestures" akin to the way humans move their hands while they speak.

Quote from: Muse on July 17, 2015, 03:41:38 AM

Noted High Galactic as one of your bonus languages. That leaves you with one more. Binary might be a good choice. That is somewhat underrepresented in the group, given how common droids are in this setting.

Quote from: Batman4560 on July 17, 2015, 03:42:32 AM
Tactics added, pilot dropped.
So noted.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

Muse

I took zabrack for the last.  Do you think Binary would fit someone with no comptuer skill? 

Knave of Hearts

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: Muse on July 17, 2015, 07:24:23 AM
I took zabrack for the last.  Do you think Binary would fit someone with no comptuer skill? 
Hearts has Pilot and Vehicular Comabt. She could make a decent starfighter pilot, and many starfighters use astromech droids. I mean look at Luke - do you ever see him work on a computer? And yet he understands Binary perfectly well.

Another reason why taking Binary could be a good idea is that many people own and use droids. Droid owners can range from farmers  all the way up to senators or Imperial officials. Sometimes overhearing what those droids have to talk about among themselves could prove useful.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

FragarachZ

Luke doesn't understand binary off the bat though, C3PO translates Artoo's beeps or the onboard computer of his X-wing does. I'm sure he learns it over time after adventuring with R2. :p
O&O

Cassandra LeMay

And here's what you have all been waiting for...

Credits and starting gear:

Everyone gets: 1 short-range comlink, 1 credit chip, 2 energy cells, 2 power packs, everyday stuff (duffel bag, a few changes of average clothes, toothbrush, etc.)

On board equipment for the Magpie: Lets add to what we already have: Electrobinoculars (1), Glow rods (6), Fusion lanterns (2)

Batman: You wanted an armored flight suit for Kooth, I believe? Take it, and 1,500 credits to buys other gear.

Frag: You listed a utility belt and a sporting blaster as equipment. That's fine by me. Also you get 3,000 credits.

Hellrazor: You get the lightsaber and blaster pistol listed on your character sheet, plus 1,800 credits.

Kirby: 3,000 credits

Muse: You get the weapons listed on your character sheet, plus 3,000 credits

(Sonia Sotomayor)

Muse

Quote from: FragarachZ on July 17, 2015, 11:32:37 AM
Luke doesn't understand binary off the bat though, C3PO translates Artoo's beeps or the onboard computer of his X-wing does. I'm sure he learns it over time after adventuring with R2. :p

True that.  Though taking another linguistics feat isn't high on my list.  :) 

All right, I'll grab binary . Should I drop bocce or Zabrack?  (I've never used bocce in a game myself.) 

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: Muse on July 17, 2015, 11:34:39 AM
All right, I'll grab binary . Should I drop bocce or Zabrack?  (I've never used bocce in a game myself.)
I think keeping Bocce fits the character background better, and if you guys run into some Zabraks you'll have two Zabraks in the group anyway.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

FragarachZ

Spending part of that 3000 immediately to get a flight suit.
O&O

Muse

Oh, whoot.  :)  Equipmnet.  :) 

Edit:  I strongly encourage us all to get pocket scramblers.  (I'll try to pitch in for them if it'll help.)  They run 400 credits. 

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: Muse on July 17, 2015, 12:03:05 PM
Edit:  I strongly encourage us all to get pocket scramblers.  (I'll try to pitch in for them if it'll help.)  They run 400 credits.
Right, as if those wouldn't raise some eyebrows during customs or imigration inspections.  ;) You will have to operate on a few planets that do have a strong imperial presence.

With Hearts you might be better of setting some money aside for various outfits, makeup, props, etc. to help you with your Deception skill. There's no "disguise toolkit" in the rulebook, but that's not to say that you can't spend any money on it.

EDIT: But just so we are clear: You don't need those props. I am nozt making up a new requirement for the use of the Deception skill. But I might be persuaded to grant you a bonus for favorable circumstance now and then, should you decide to spend a bit of money on it.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

FragarachZ

Same with gather information I imagine. And, if you roll a 1 on that, that last drink was roofied!
O&O

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: FragarachZ on July 17, 2015, 12:51:43 PM
Same with gather information I imagine. And, if you roll a 1 on that, that last drink was roofied!
I wouldn't think Gather Info can profit all that much from specialized equipment, and it does have some monetary cost figured into the rules already. No need for me to suggest people spend some money up front on somethig that might cost them money later anyways.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

Batman4560

Hey guys I'm just wondering... How customizable is where you place things on your character. For example, the book says that comlinks can be built into armor so could I say that the comlink is inside the collar of my flight suit while there is a strap on the shoulder to hold something like a glow rod?

Muse

Check out the outlaw tech section in scum and villainy.  That'll answer all your questions.  (But are we using it?) 

hellrazoromega

KirbysFolly

Do our short-range comlinks come with the Encryption option added in (+10 to DC of Use Computer checks to intercept communications, page 134)? If not, can we buy that for them?

Edit- Also, can I buy 30 common animals with all my money?

Okay, updated the sheet. Here it is again.

Expenditures

1,000 credits: Blaster Rifle
100 credits: Rifle License (Restricted)
500 credits: Blaster Pistol
50 credits: Pistol License (Restricted)
25 credits: Knife
1,000 credits: Field Kit
20 credits: Syntherope (45 meters)
100 credits: Bandolier
25 credits: Hip Holster
100 credits: Targeting Scope, Standard
80 credits remaining

Hmm. If I go with level 6 instead of 5, I could pick up Deadeye. Then using an Aim action with the rifle would reduce the range by one category, give me a +1 to the attack roll, ignore cover, AND add a bonus die to the attack, making it deal 4d8 damage instead of 3d8.

But if I do that, and there's something off with the character, it would take longer to be able to make any needed corrections.

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: Batman4560 on July 17, 2015, 04:31:32 PM
Hey guys I'm just wondering... How customizable is where you place things on your character. For example, the book says that comlinks can be built into armor so could I say that the comlink is inside the collar of my flight suit while there is a strap on the shoulder to hold something like a glow rod?
Yes, you can define your comlink as being built into your armor without a problem. And yes, I see no problem with your armor having one or two straps on it for holding small pieces of equipment.

Quote from: KirbysFolly on July 17, 2015, 09:41:41 PM
Do our short-range comlinks come with the Encryption option added in (+10 to DC of Use Computer checks to intercept communications, page 134)? If not, can we buy that for them?

Edit- Also, can I buy 30 common animals with all my money?

Okay, updated the sheet. Here it is again.

Expenditures

1,000 credits: Blaster Rifle
100 credits: Rifle License (Restricted)
500 credits: Blaster Pistol
50 credits: Pistol License (Restricted)
25 credits: Knife
1,000 credits: Field Kit
20 credits: Syntherope (45 meters)
100 credits: Bandolier
25 credits: Hip Holster
100 credits: Targeting Scope, Standard
80 credits remaining

Hmm. If I go with level 6 instead of 5, I could pick up Deadeye. Then using an Aim action with the rifle would reduce the range by one category, give me a +1 to the attack roll, ignore cover, AND add a bonus die to the attack, making it deal 4d8 damage instead of 3d8.

But if I do that, and there's something off with the character, it would take longer to be able to make any needed corrections.
If you want the encryption option for your comlink you'll have to pay for it.

Why in the name of the Force would you want to buy ... what exactly, the equivalent of housecats or rabbits? I might consider it if you can give me a good (or at least somewhat logical) reason for it.

Your equipment list looks good to me, but are you sure you need the field kit? It's big, heavy, and expensive - and useful only in few situations. It's not the kind of equipment I see many people lugging around, just in case. If you want some extra equipment you might be better of with a utility belt (which also has some spare pouches you could use for power packs, giving you an option to transport spare ammo without the need for a bandolier (which is pretty obvious, whereas a utility belt is more of a civilian equipment).

As for the level... I'd stick with level 5 for now and take some time to consider your options. Maybe there'll be more space combat than expected and you'll want to take Vehicular Comabt, or maybe branch out into the Scoundrel class for Spacehound, maybe you'll want to take a level of Soldier for one of the weapon specialist talents if it turns out there'll be lots of firefights, maybe something completely different will strike your fancy. Wait and see might be a good tactic at this point.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

Batman4560

Well that being said and after finding out what the point of being trained in skills is (+5 bonus) I am all set to go. Oh and who is playing the Jedi in this group?

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: Batman4560 on July 18, 2015, 02:42:30 AM
Well that being said and after finding out what the point of being trained in skills is (+5 bonus) I am all set to go. Oh and who is playing the Jedi in this group?
So if I did my math right you have about ... 180 credits left? That aside I think you might as well drop the power chargers. The ship has one, and we are talking about weapons here that can fire at least 50 shots with a single power pack. If you discharge more than one during any given adventure I'd be quite surprised.
And if you ever end up in a large-scale all-out war situation by chance you can always pick up power packs from fallen comrades or defeated enemies.  ;)

Also you might want to consider a blaster rifle, instead of a carbine, because...

All, there's something I completely forgot to bring up:

that something being the official errata, especially as far as it concerns weapon qualities. (see here for a complete core rules errata list)

Hold-out blaster pistols, heavy blaster pistols, blaster carbines, and heavy blaster rifles are innacurate, i.e. they can't shoot at long range.
Sporting blaster pistols and rifles are accurate, meaning they don't take the usual -2 penalty when shooting at short range.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

FragarachZ

I have the second printing of the core rulebook, so I have all that in there :)

Other than the flight suit, also grabbing a datapad, leaving Anya with 1000 credits left.

KirbysFolly, if you want to bring 30 animals on the ship you're paying for their handling, feeding and cleanup. Triple if they are gizka. Others have food and medicine transported there...
O&O

KirbysFolly

Hey, you never know when having 30 small common animals could be useful.  :P

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: KirbysFolly on July 18, 2015, 07:30:50 AM
Hey, you never know when having 30 small common animals could be useful.  :P
Since that is all yu have to comment on, I take it you are sticking to the equipment posted earlier?

(Sonia Sotomayor)

FragarachZ

Cass, are we dealing with docking fees, refueling and restocking costs, maintenance costs etc?

O&O

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: FragarachZ on July 18, 2015, 02:46:36 PM
Cass, are we dealing with docking fees, refueling and restocking costs, maintenance costs etc?
Well... I do have a bachelor's degree in business administration in the real world, so the obvious answer is ... No Way I'm gonna be bothered about micromanagment like that in my spare time.  ;D

The Magpie has consumables for 2 months and I'll assume she comes fully stocked. If and when supplies begin to run low I'll give you ample warning to look for a job that can pay for it, but I am not too worried about it. Now and then I might require you to look for a cargo run, but that shouldn't hinder the adventures and rather translate into "this will net you X credits, after costs", without any micromanagment, spreadhseets, detailed accounting, or whatnot.

Truth be told, at this point of the game I want you guys to think carefully about equipment and weapons because I think how someone prioritizes those things tells something about the character, but that doesn't mean detailed bookkeeping will play a major role in the game, once we get started.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

FragarachZ

Yay, no micromanagement on meh costs!

I will let my more trigger happy companions worry about weapons, my primary focus will be saving for rescuing family, but might invest in a droid first to help with maintenance, repair etc.

Though if you let me take the tech specialist feat later, Anya can upgrade and personalize existing gear for the others instead of us havingto buy new guns and armor every stop  ;)

Which just reminded me of another awesome character concept I have yet to try out... Ehh.
O&O

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: FragarachZ on July 18, 2015, 03:47:51 PM
I will let my more trigger happy companions worry about weapons, my primary focus will be saving for rescuing family, but might invest in a droid first to help with maintenance, repair etc.
Oh, you will get an opportunity to buy a droid sooner or later, no worries, but if you do, it will be a GM character. I am not letting you control two characters, or just let you use a droid character as a convenient way to provide an "aid another" bonus to your skill checks.

Quote from: FragarachZ on July 18, 2015, 03:47:51 PMThough if you let me take the tech specialist feat later, Anya can upgrade and personalize existing gear for the others instead of us having to buy new guns and armor every stop  ;)
Yes, yes, you will have to buy new equipment every five minutes. I will totally demand it!  No way anyone can succeed in this game without new equipment bought at any port of call.   :P

(Sonia Sotomayor)

KirbysFolly

I'm actually on my phone again, but I'll check things when I get home. It has been a very busy weekend too.

Batman4560

KirbysFolly

Quote from: Cassandra LeMay on July 18, 2015, 07:45:16 AM
Since that is all yu have to comment on, I take it you are sticking to the equipment posted earlier?

Okay, I checked it over, and I'll take your advice there. I swapped the field kit for a utility belt, which added 500 credits (+1,000 for dropping the kit, -500 for adding the belt). I sold the bandolier, since it was redundant with the extra space on the belt (+100). Then I upgraded the comlink with encryption (10 times the base cost, for -250 credits) and video (2 times the base cost, for -50 credits). Unless that is cumulative, in which case it would be 250 for encryption, and then double to 500 for video, for either 500 total to get the comlink that way, or 750 if they add up as well. If it's 750, I can't afford that, and I'll just go with the encryption. If it's 500, I'll go with both. If it's just 300, then I'll still go with both.

And finally, a video recorder for 50 credits. That way anything that can't be immediately transmitted can be stored (up to 10 hours worth) and looked at later.

I figure that way, if she's up ahead, she can send video back to anybody with a datapad or back to the ship, if it's in range.

Here's the edited sheet, again.

And I was just joking about the animals, I don't want any. They're listed first in the equipment section, under bulk goods, and I thought the idea of spending 3,000 credits on gizka or something was amusing.

hellrazoromega

Quote from: Batman4560 on July 18, 2015, 02:42:30 AM
That would be me.

Muse

Okay, guess I'll switch the pocket scrambler to an encryted com.  :)

Batman4560

Quote from: hellrazoromega on July 18, 2015, 08:48:40 PM
That would be me.

I would like to pair up with you in game from time to time as I need to speak with your character for plans with my own. :)

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: KirbysFolly on July 18, 2015, 07:34:30 PM
... Then I upgraded the comlink with encryption (10 times the base cost, for -250 credits) and video (2 times the base cost, for -50 credits). Unless that is cumulative, in which case it would be 250 for encryption, and then double to 500 for video, for either 500 total to get the comlink that way, or 750 if they add up as well. If it's 750, I can't afford that, and I'll just go with the encryption. If it's 500, I'll go with both. If it's just 300, then I'll still go with both.

And I was just joking about the animals, I don't want any. They're listed first in the equipment section, under bulk goods, and I thought the idea of spending 3,000 credits on gizka or something was amusing.
I try not to make assumptions about players just joking. Sometimes people come up with ideas that sound completely crazy, but are actually meant seriously. Roleplayers can be weird at times.  ;)

I don't think the multipliers are cummulative. Costs are, but multipliers aren't, i.e. it's 250 for the encryption + 50 for the video.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

Muse

Since we aren't using scum and villainy, is there an acceptable way to make my hold out blaster a wrist mounted model concealed as jewelry? 

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: Muse on July 19, 2015, 12:36:21 AM
  Since we aren't using scum and villainy, is there an acceptable way to make my hold out blaster a wrist mounted model concealed as jewelry?
A "James Bond laser watch"? No. Even using some of the sourcebooks I probably wouldn't allow it - or restrict its firepower and range so much you wouldn't want to carry it. It's just not something I see as really fitting a Star Wars game, or at least not as something the players should be able to buy.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

Batman4560

Could he possibly simply mount it to his wrist and cover it?

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: Batman4560 on July 19, 2015, 02:51:04 AM
Could he possibly simply mount it to his wrist and cover it?
Possibly, but I don't think that's a good idea. For one you would have to rig some trigger mechanism, which could be more obvious than the hidden blaster. Running around with a switch in your hand isn't exactly concealable. The alternative would be to fire it normally, but then you'd need one arm to aim the blaster, and the other hand to fire it, instead of using just one hand with a normal gun. It might also be less easy to hide that way. If someone pats you down, searching for weapons, a wrist-mounted blaster can't be shifted around. But a normal holdout gun can be shifted easily from one hand to the other, from one pocket to another, with a little bit of legerdemain.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

FragarachZ

Anya Idrall         CL 6

Destiny 3; Force 8
Languages Basic, Binary, Bocce, Huttese, Lekku, Ryl

Defenses Ref 22 (flat-footed 18), Fort 21 (+1 equip), Will 17; Evasion, Vehicular Combat
hp 48; Threshold 20

Speed 6 squares
Melee by weapon +3
Ranged sporting blaster +7 (3d4+3)
Base Atk +3; Grp +7
Special Actions Gimmick

Possessions utility belt, sporting blaster (in hip holster), datapad, 1 short-range comlink (encrypted), 1 credit chip, 2 energy cells, 2 power packs, flight suit, 750 credits

Lucky Magpie

As stock YT-1300 except:
> Hyperdrive x1
> Combat Thrusters
> Shields (SR 35)
> Disguised Transponder (1 fake ID code: Starry Swallow)

On board equipment:
2 field kits for the crew
2 sets of space suit for the crew
2 breath masks, 24 spare atmospheric canisters
4 fire extinguishers +8 replacement cartridges
Lots of mesh tape
1 power recharger
1 security kit
1 medical kit
1 tool kit
3 repulsor pads (1 in each cargo bay)
1 pair of electrobinoculars
6 Glow rods
2 Fusion lanterns

Also got a hip holster, more or less to look tough if she's hanging with soldiers and gunbunnies (don't want anyone to figure she's the weakest link), and got the comlink encrypted just to be safe. Ready to set out :)
O&O

hellrazoromega

Quote from: Batman4560 on July 18, 2015, 09:05:12 PM
I would like to pair up with you in game from time to time as I need to speak with your character for plans with my own. :)
Sounds good. Your character should make a good meatshie....er, ally  ::) :P

Quote from: Cassandra LeMay on July 19, 2015, 03:10:36 AM
Possibly, but I don't think that's a good idea. For one you would have to rig some trigger mechanism, which could be more obvious than the hidden blaster. Running around with a switch in your hand isn't exactly concealable. The alternative would be to fire it normally, but then you'd need one arm to aim the blaster, and the other hand to fire it, instead of using just one hand with a normal gun. It might also be less easy to hide that way. If someone pats you down, searching for weapons, a wrist-mounted blaster can't be shifted around. But a normal holdout gun can be shifted easily from one hand to the other, from one pocket to another, with a little bit of legerdemain.
I would thing something likewould be better

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: hellrazoromega on July 19, 2015, 05:00:29 PM
I would thing something likewould be better
That should pretty much have the same effect, rules-wise, as a concealed wrist holster (p.140).

(Sonia Sotomayor)

hellrazoromega

Quote from: Cassandra LeMay on July 20, 2015, 01:34:50 AM
That should pretty much have the same effect, rules-wise, as a concealed wrist holster (p.140).
Yeah I figured, since most of the really exotic weapons in the EU are melee or archaic weapons of some manner.

Cassandra LeMay

Decided the NC section might be best for this game and started us an OOC thread here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=233176.0

More to come soon.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

Muse