News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

The Heartstone's Curse (NC Exotic, Pathfinder?)

Started by Zeekergamer, October 20, 2013, 12:15:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muse

A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Biles

I'm sorry to say, but I'm not in the mood to sign up for an account just to see what you posted. All I wanted was to see what the CS format looked like.
[tr][td]
Denai Academy
Student: Amara Yochumaru[/td][/tr][tr][td]Zootopia: Hybrid Theory
Animal: Mocha[/td][/tr][tr][td]The Run
Hunted: Xuna Bladereaver[/td][/tr][/table]

Muse

Oh, sorry.  I didn't realize I hadn't shared the document. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Muse

There.  Fixed it. 

There's be even less to it on a warrior type, since this sheet is for someone who casts spells.

Biles

Hmmm, so this is what a Pathfinder-based CS looks like. Looks like I hate to say it but such a complex system like this is way outta my league. I'll be dropping out of this. Sorry for leaving you guys.
[tr][td]
Denai Academy
Student: Amara Yochumaru[/td][/tr][tr][td]Zootopia: Hybrid Theory
Animal: Mocha[/td][/tr][tr][td]The Run
Hunted: Xuna Bladereaver[/td][/tr][/table]

Teo Torriatte

Sethala

This looks interesting... after work tonight I might work on a character for it.  I'm thinking of making an oversized weapon user.

Need to have a rules question answered though.  Short version: can a Titan Mauler barbarian with the Massive Weapons ability wield a Large Greatsword?

Long version:
The Titan Mauler archetype lets you use larger-than-normal weapons.  Normally, you take a -2 penalty for each size category difference between the weapon and yourself - so a medium character takes a -2 penalty when using a large weapon, or a -4 penalty when using a huge weapon.  The Massive Weapons ability lets you reduce the penalty.  However, there's another rule with large weapons: the weapon's own category also goes up by one for each size larger than yourself.  So a large one-handed weapon counts as a two-handed weapon for a medium creature, and a large two-handed weapon (like a greatsword) isn't usable at all by a medium character.  The original author of the Titan Mauler archetype later came out on the Paizo forums and said that he had forgotten about the second rule when writing the archetype, and would have included a fix for that as well if he had remembered  It hasn't made it into the official FAQ/errata as far as I'm aware, since Jason Nelson isn't able to issue that, but he has given two possible erratas for the ability (the first one might be a bit more "balanced", but the second one seems to keep the theme of the ability more intact).

Muse

Zeekergamer

Quote from: Biles on October 28, 2013, 05:04:26 PM
Hmmm, so this is what a Pathfinder-based CS looks like. Looks like I hate to say it but such a complex system like this is way outta my league. I'll be dropping out of this. Sorry for leaving you guys.

No problem Biles. Thanks for showing some interest in the first place and have fun!
Tentacle Sex, WOO!

Zeekergamer

Quote from: Sethala on October 30, 2013, 09:58:58 AM
This looks interesting... after work tonight I might work on a character for it.  I'm thinking of making an oversized weapon user.

Need to have a rules question answered though.  Short version: can a Titan Mauler barbarian with the Massive Weapons ability wield a Large Greatsword?

Long version:
The Titan Mauler archetype lets you use larger-than-normal weapons.  Normally, you take a -2 penalty for each size category difference between the weapon and yourself - so a medium character takes a -2 penalty when using a large weapon, or a -4 penalty when using a huge weapon.  The Massive Weapons ability lets you reduce the penalty.  However, there's another rule with large weapons: the weapon's own category also goes up by one for each size larger than yourself.  So a large one-handed weapon counts as a two-handed weapon for a medium creature, and a large two-handed weapon (like a greatsword) isn't usable at all by a medium character.  The original author of the Titan Mauler archetype later came out on the Paizo forums and said that he had forgotten about the second rule when writing the archetype, and would have included a fix for that as well if he had remembered  It hasn't made it into the official FAQ/errata as far as I'm aware, since Jason Nelson isn't able to issue that, but he has given two possible erratas for the ability (the first one might be a bit more "balanced", but the second one seems to keep the theme of the ability more intact).

The short answer is yes. And I think the second errata "fix" keeps it simpler and I agree more inline with the intent. So I am fine with that interpretation.
Tentacle Sex, WOO!

Sethala

Alright, thanks Zeek.

I'll start working on her sheet in a moment, though I'm not sure what race I'd want to go with; human would be the most optimal stats-wise, but I think I want to play as one of the Fey.  Any suggestion what race might be good for me?  (Preferably something without level adjustments, though.)

And, where exactly in your world would someone normally find oversized weapons?  Are there some sort of giant (or at least larger than human) race that would be carrying around such weapons?

Zeekergamer

Quote from: Sethala on October 30, 2013, 09:29:54 PM
Alright, thanks Zeek.

I'll start working on her sheet in a moment, though I'm not sure what race I'd want to go with; human would be the most optimal stats-wise, but I think I want to play as one of the Fey.  Any suggestion what race might be good for me?  (Preferably something without level adjustments, though.)

And, where exactly in your world would someone normally find oversized weapons?  Are there some sort of giant (or at least larger than human) race that would be carrying around such weapons?

Since we are going straight up Pathfinder, pretty much all the Fey have a +1 level adjustment, attempting to use the rules and craft the races at least close to their mythical origin.

As far as oversized weapons, there are plenty of monsters and giant/giant-kin around so there would be a few lying here or there.
Tentacle Sex, WOO!

Zeekergamer

To flesh out the setting more and see if that shakes loose ideas, here you go. I have more written on the subject of the people, life, culture and I will get that up tomorrow.

The Fey had thought victory had been achieved. The goddess of light, Hanlanil, and her children were triumphant. Their long standing battle against the Feyr had come to an end when the combined forces of Fey and Humans had laid siege and destroyed the last Obsidian Tower. These strongholds of the Feyr were erected by the dark forces marshaled by the Faceless One and from them once spewed forth the goblin and orc armies, along with a myriad of twisted creatures. Now the Feyr were driven down into the depths of Arlin. Those that dare show their face in the sun were quickly hunted down by the Fey.
In the time after humans, whose lives were short but bountiful with children, would spread across all lands. It was an age of conflict, human against Fey and fellow human. Eventually the wars would settle, accords granted, old rivalries spawned fruitful competition. And after a thousand years passed, all agreed it was now the time of humans. In the lands of the Old Kingdoms a human conqueror was born. Under him they would be united under his name, the Empire of Ciraxis.

The Empire soon set out to expand its territory. Along with the continued conquest of its neighbors, a great fleet of ships set sail to all corners led by brave explorers of all stripes and colors. These efforts are a particular point of pride of the Empire and as such the subsequent Ciraxis line of rulers has maintained them with vigor. Far across the ocean in warm pleasant waters one such ship came upon fertile ground, unclaimed by any sentient race. The land was a literal tip of a larger, untamed place. The coast the ship sailed to was a peninsula that curved sharply, mountains as its backbones and a lush estuary as its bay. It teased at a wild land filled with mysteries and opportunity beyond the great forest where it connected to the mainland.

The mighty Fort of Ciraxis was built upon the promontory as a city grew below for the trade ships sailing back and forth from the Empire. In their hulls they carried the discoveries and goods of the new land.  A bustling port emerged on the coast and tracks of rich farmland settled between. Explorers and adventurers traveled north, some never seen again others returned with sparkling treasures and tall tales. Other ships sailed further along the coasts as new outposts and colonies were established on what came to be known as the Far Lands.

As the human empires grew and fell around them, the Fey were ever vigilant. Their lives and memories long, they did not fully trust the humans; prone to corruption, arrogant and short sighted. Perhaps because of their new diminished position against the human surge, or perhaps in spite of it, they beseeched their goddess to grant her power to craft the Heartstone in secret. The Fey would stand as guardians of the world. But the Faceless One and his minions were only defeated, not destroyed. Over time they built up their strength in dark places, seeking human collaborators and planning on exacting revenge upon the Fey. Even some elves were lured by the whispering voice in their head. To take their rightful place as leaders of Arlin and to subdue the upstart humans, those that succumbed became known as the dark elves.

The Feyr now had cunning and spiteful masters and under the leadership of the dark elves they discovered the Heartstone and set a trap for Hanlanil. The Feyr assaulted the mountain temple where it was hidden and once they had overrun the temple the desperate priestess called forth the goddess. But the Faceless One lay in wait for her and they battled on the mountainside. In the end Hanlanil was defeated, the Faceless One draining her of all her godly power. It is said she turned to stone and melded into the rock of the mountain. The Faceless One then turned its attention to the Heartstone, seeking to twist the stone's power to the creature's desire. Things did not go as intended, the stone turned black and cracked, there was a mighty cheer by the Feyr present and then they gaped in disbelief as the Faceless One writhed and cried out in pain, collapsing to the ground and splitting open as its foulness poured out. The Feyr shouted in agony as their bodies bent and broke, they were transformed into vile abominations.

The poison flowing from the Heartstone spread quickly across all the lands. Back at the Fort of Ciraxis it was first rumors. Twisted things that had never been seen before came in the night. The orcs and goblins all but disappeared. Then the male Fey fell ill, to the last male and no magic could cure them of the disease. Ship traffic brought back news that the tragedy was happening everywhere. Eventually some crews returned, desperate and starving, claiming there were no safe ports to land.  The Curse, as it came to be called, had turned the natural world upside down and it is said the perverse power of the dark god has seeped into everything. Refugees from the other colonies flooded the city. The outlying towns and villages did not have adequate defenses and became too dangerous. Now the lands are filled with beasts and monsters that are Cursed, seeking to siphon off the life energy of others. Soon all contact with the Empire ceased and it has been fifty years since any ship had sailed into the harbor.

The game takes place at the Fort of Ciraxis, a name that is shared for the physical fort, the city and the harbor. Although the harbor is two miles down from the city and is a small village unto itself. Dozens, if not a hundred, ships had sailed in to never leave. They are now all moored together, creating a floating extension of the city out onto the bay. From the tip on the peninsula that marks the bay’s entrance, a series of small, rocky islands dot outward to the ocean. These islands are small and mostly rock, not suitable for habitation except by the native creatures. Rising over the estuary is the fort, which sits atop a wide tall hill with a cliff on one side that drops directly into the bay. The slope of the hill on the approachable sides is steep, an ornate stone road crisscrosses to the lower valley for convenient travel and has been named the “Emperor’s Path” as yet another show of pride.

Rivers flow out of the mountains to feed the estuary which has turned the surrounding valley into rich farmland, spread wide between the city and the harbor. However, as the newly formed monsters became more aggressive, a hasty defensive barricade was erected to offer protection from attack. As a consequence, many of the fields and farms further out had to be abandoned. The wall was built in a rough diamond shape, with the Fort of Ciraxis at the south. Its north point, just about two miles, is anchored on a small hamlet that had developed for mostly farmers. It now functions as a sort of military outpost with little more than barracks for resting field hands.

The mild weather creates long seasons for growing so even with the reduced capacity the population has been maintained between the crops and the abundance of the sea. Fishing is a mainstay, but even the races of the sea are not untouched and vessels must be weary in the dusk and dawn. Some harbor docks have been converted to lift upwards at the end of the day to create a defensive wall at night. Farm and sea are patrolled during the dark. The city was built with only 10,000 or so humans in mind but with the influx of refugees from the abandoned seed colonies plus the influx of other races it is estimated to be three or four times that number. Approximately half of the current population is human; elves making up the plurality of non-humans, followed by Faeries, Dryads, Nymphs and then a smattering of other races. City expansion is at the cost of arable land so there is a struggle to accommodate space.
Tentacle Sex, WOO!

Sethala

Quote from: Zeekergamer on October 31, 2013, 10:33:34 PM
Since we are going straight up Pathfinder, pretty much all the Fey have a +1 level adjustment, attempting to use the rules and craft the races at least close to their mythical origin.

As far as oversized weapons, there are plenty of monsters and giant/giant-kin around so there would be a few lying here or there.

Ok, sounds good.  Admittedly I find using level adjustments for every Fey race a bit odd, since Pathfinder doesn't use them normally, but ah well.

As for the race, I was looking through them and was wondering if a Baccae would be possible, or at least something similar; I'm thinking she would look mostly human normally, but when drunk or angered she also grows animal-like ears and tail.  Not sure what you'd want to do for stats, I'll try to think of something more tomorrow (I tend not to think the best at 4 AM), though I don't really need the natural attack.

Zeekergamer

Well this is using the Pathfinder race creation rules, which is where the level adjustment comes from. As for Baccae, I (or you if you want to give it a whirl) can use those rules to come up with creation stats, or since this is a starting level 4 campaign as a CR3 you could play it as listed and take 1 level of a character class. They do have beast form so that would work right in.
Tentacle Sex, WOO!

Sethala

Ah, I see what you're doing.  I don't think that table's intended to be an individual character adjustment, but a party effective level adjustment when designing and balancing encounters...

Regardless, I'll try making up stats tonight after work (power's out at home so I only have my phone...)

Zeekergamer

Quote from: Sethala on November 01, 2013, 10:58:24 AM
Ah, I see what you're doing.  I don't think that table's intended to be an individual character adjustment, but a party effective level adjustment when designing and balancing encounters...

Regardless, I'll try making up stats tonight after work (power's out at home so I only have my phone...)

That is true, but given the power levels, I thought it more appropriate.
Tentacle Sex, WOO!

Sethala

So, I got a moment to think about what I want to do for Baccae, and here's a brief idea of how they can fit into the world.

Appearance: Baccae appear almost entirely human, the only difference being a pair of animal-like ears on the tops of their heads.  They usually have very bright and vibrant hair colors, fair skin, and the normal Fey beauty.  However, whenever they become extremely angered, intoxicated, or aroused, they shift into a more bestial form: their ears grow larger and more prominent, they grow a tail, and start to grow fangs and claws.  Because of these changes, a common superstition about Baccae is that they are descendants of a forbidden affair between one of the Fey and a Feyr, though there's nothing to prove whether or not this is the case.

Personality:  Baccae are fond of excess, often having strong emotions.  Drinking is incredibly common in Baccae villages and cities, and large orgies breaking out in towns is not unheard of.  Because of their excessive nature, as well as the superstitions around their origins, many of the other Fey prefer to stay away from the Baccae villages.  Similarly, Baccae are very uncommon in other Fey settlements and cities.  Regardless of where they are however, Baccae are almost always found drinking something alcoholic.

Still planning on the racial abilities, but a few ideas are:

Poison Resistance: The Baccae have adapted to drinking alcohol constantly, even at an early age, and their bodies have become resistant to all forms of toxins.

Rage: A limited version of the barbarian's Rage ability.  Probably something like 2 rounds, and an extra round for each non-barbarian level taken.  The Baccae transforms to her bestial form when in a rage (though going into a rage isn't a prerequisite for the bestial form).

Racial attributes: +Str, +Cha, -Wis.  Strong and alluring, and perhaps not the brightest or most rational.

I'm not sure if I want to do something with the Charming Gaze ability they get as a monster; might do a racial spell-like ability of some sort.  Let me know if you think any other abilities would fit.

Sethala

Quote from: Zeekergamer on November 01, 2013, 11:12:00 PM
That is true, but given the power levels, I thought it more appropriate.

Heh, and you posted while I was typing.

Fair enough.  How does level adjustment work, then, since there's no "base monster" to work things off of?  Does it hamper feat or ability score progression (i.e. will we get our level 5 feat as soon as we level up, and will we still start with our level 4 attribute bonus)?  Do we still get something to saves and BAB from the missed levels?

Zeekergamer

Quote from: Ghostwheel on November 02, 2013, 08:00:43 AM
Quick question, this game full up, or is there a spot for another person? :D

We've not started yet, so there is still room
Tentacle Sex, WOO!

Zeekergamer

Quote from: Sethala on November 01, 2013, 11:16:40 PM
Heh, and you posted while I was typing.

Fair enough.  How does level adjustment work, then, since there's no "base monster" to work things off of?  Does it hamper feat or ability score progression (i.e. will we get our level 5 feat as soon as we level up, and will we still start with our level 4 attribute bonus)?  Do we still get something to saves and BAB from the missed levels?

You know what, now that you mentioned it I did some research and I think I was incorrect. Let's just say if you keep the RP points 20 or less there is no "level adjustment". So you can have four levels on top of your race like everyone else.

This goes for the others who have started their characters as well.
Tentacle Sex, WOO!

Muse

Sethala

Alright, here's what I've got for Baccae racial abilities:

Fey (2 RP) - Low-light vision
Medium (0 RP)
Normal Speed (0 RP)
Standard ability score (0 RP): +2 Str, +2 Cha, -2 Wis)
Poison Resistance (3 RP): Bonus to saving throw vs poison equal to HD
Fey Damage Resistance (3 RP): DR 5/Cold Iron
Skill Bonus: Intimidate (3 RP): +2 Intimidate
Spell-like Ability: Charm Person (1 RP): Charm Person 1/day
Change Shape, Lesser (3 RP)

Zeekergamer

Tentacle Sex, WOO!

Zeekergamer

Quote from: Sethala on November 03, 2013, 01:35:37 AM
Alright, here's what I've got for Baccae racial abilities:

Fey (2 RP) - Low-light vision
Medium (0 RP)
Normal Speed (0 RP)
Standard ability score (0 RP): +2 Str, +2 Cha, -2 Wis)
Poison Resistance (3 RP): Bonus to saving throw vs poison equal to HD
Fey Damage Resistance (3 RP): DR 5/Cold Iron
Skill Bonus: Intimidate (3 RP): +2 Intimidate
Spell-like Ability: Charm Person (1 RP): Charm Person 1/day
Change Shape, Lesser (3 RP)

Looks good to me, run with it.
Tentacle Sex, WOO!