Roar

Started by Sabby, September 13, 2009, 08:53:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabby

Maybe we could try having the roar system again? :) That little ranking thing that displayed your dom or sub rating, based on players and friends clicking a lil votey thing once a day.

I think I was, like, -25 or somewhere close... - being sub

Trieste

For some reason, it really really seemed to upset some people when their roar was messed with.

This made it very easy for some people to mess with others.

I don't really want to go back to it. Even with the tiny glimpse of it that I got, it seemed more trouble than it was worth.

Sabby

Yes, I remember those issues... it was a real shame it was abused.

Trieste

Vekseid

Probably not possible for one person to be such an abuse monger any longer, but even outside of that, people put way too much into it : /

OldSchoolGamer

Any kind of ratings system can quickly become a love-hate thing.  I kind of classify them as one of those ideas that's great in theory but rather thorny and problematic in practice.

Ranking it on a dom(me) versus sub basis also doesn't adequately distinguish between switches and people who would naturally score somewhere near neutral.  Were I to be judged solely on the female characters I play, I would rate sub.  Ranked on the basis of males, dom.

Oniya

The last site I was on regularly had something called 'Karma', supposedly some form of rating scale.  One day, I logged in, and a member had been hammered with 'negative' points by another member 'as a joke'.  It was in the negative-hundreds.

The site got rid of the Karma points shortly after that.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Haibane

I would still be interested in how the people I play with rate me on a domme-sub scale. I might even send out a poll via PMs to those I regularly play with and see what the result is.

Perhaps a personal poll is one way to do it, and as in forum polls each member can only vote once.

Sabby

For people only able to vote once... that could work with the old roar system.

Vekseid

"Sorry, you can't repeat a karma action without waiting 35064 hours." Heh.

So after four years you could assign another point to someone.

Dunno. I'd probably want to blank the current ratings. Any thoughts?

Sabby

Or, maybe it could just be a one or the other thing... have people take a stance, so instead of piling a bunch of sub points up to piss off a rather dommy member, really, they can only go 2 or 3 back, and then the same forth, and are allowed to move about in that range whenever they like, but no further.

Trieste

... can you make it optional? I don't really want to fiddle with roar; I like my profile as-is, thanks.

Lilias

Quote from: Trieste on September 14, 2009, 12:30:41 AM
... can you make it optional? I don't really want to fiddle with roar; I like my profile as-is, thanks.

Second it. Without the possibility to opt out... just say no.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Caeli

Quote from: Trieste on September 14, 2009, 12:30:41 AM

Thirded. I've never really been into popularity contests, which is what these types of systems typically devolve into, so if such a system does come into the works, I'd like to opt out as well.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Kip

I'm similar with an opt-out.  I don't mind others using it but the concept behind it doesn't really apply to me and I'd prefer not to have people trying to provide their perspective on me.

"You say good start, I say perfect ending. 
This world has no heart and mine is beyond mending."
~Jay Brannan~

"Am I an angel or a monster?  A hero or a villian? Why can't I see the difference?"
~Mohinder Suresh~

Ket

While I have to agree that I'd want to opt out as well, I have other things to say about this.

It's black or white, yes or no. And I vote no. What happens when someone gets their collective panties in a bunch because they haven't received the amount of votes they expected? Or didn't get voted to either side of the line the way they expected? This site is wonderful at keeping drama at bay, and all I see with this popularity contest (which, as Caeli said, is what this is) is a chance for drama to erupt. Maybe not on site, but something that could flow onto the site. I'd rather not see the chance for that to occur.
she wears strength and darkness equally well, the girl has always been half goddess, half hell

you can find me on discord Ket#8117
Ons & Offs~Menagerie~Pulse~Den of Iniquity
wee little Ketlings don't yet have the ability to spit forth flame with the ferocity needed to vanquish a horde of vehicular bound tiny arachnids.

Haibane

My perception of it is it's not a popularity contest, how could a D/s rating be that? I'm not talking karma here, such ratings are silly and always lead to abuse or drama. I agree with the rest of you here: no thanks

I would think it's relatively easy to get past all the abuse problems these things always seem to have. I'm no programmer so my concept of 'easy' here may be inconsistent with reality.

Perhaps it could be private with only the voter (one vote per user per poll EVER) and the poll owner seeing it? The voter and how they voted is revealed to the poll owner. Its of interest to me to see how my regular playing partners see me, in a weird way I guess. I'm not especially interested in how others are seen by others. I can ask them ;)

Its just a fun device to play with to see how others view you I suppose. No big deal if it's not implemented and I would quite understand if it was too much work.

OldSchoolGamer

There's this other site I read from time to time that has "reps."  Sounds easy enough...except that some members got together and gamed the system and ended up with a Reputation rating in the quadrillions.  No joke.  Whoever coded it rigged it so that the higher your Rep rating was, the more Rep points were added to a member that you Repped.  So it didn't take long to snowball...

I could build a mathematical system to defeat such abuse, but it would be intricate enough that Vekseid would, understandably, not be likely to want to code it...

Vekseid

I'll just note the desire to opt into the system for the new CMS. The desire for me to fix anything and everything is really best handled by ground up recoding.