What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonalberry

Quote from: Wyrd on June 03, 2011, 07:31:00 PM
They made a street fighter movie?

Fuck yeah, with Jean Claude Van Damme as Guile.  He and Raul Julia were the only two actors I recognized by name.  The guy who played Sagat, I've seen in a couple other movies, but his name escapes me.

Wyrd

Oh. Thats cool, I guess. I've never played street fighter though
Ragtime Dandies!

Tonalberry

This was way back in the mid-90's.  Then, a couple years ago, they made another one, The Legend of Chun Li.

Oh, and there's also a third Street Fighter movie, that's not called Street Fighter.

Oniya

Quote from: Sel Nar on June 03, 2011, 07:28:41 PM
Street Fighter, simply because Raul Julia only did it because his grandchildren asked, and he deliberately chewed the scenery so much every prop had toothmarks. Plus it has the best line ever. "My dear, the day I destroyed your hometown was, to you, the most important day of your life. But to me, it was Tuesday."

'The day that Bison's presence graced your village changed your life!

But for me, it was Tuesday.'

(Funny story on that - the day that Mr. Oniya decided that he was going to propose to me, we had second row concert tickets - and it was a Tuesday.  He didn't actually propose until that summer, but he's used that very line in conjunction with the story.)

That and the sumo/Russian battle in the middle of the model of the city with the Japanese monster movie sound effects.

And Adrien Cronauer.  'GOOOOOOOD Morning, Shadalooooooo!'

Kylie Minogue was Cammy, and the guy who played Sagat was Wes Studi, also seen in Geronimo and Last of the Mohicans.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Tonalberry

Inkidu

Quote from: Tonalberry on June 03, 2011, 07:48:04 PM
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-big-picture/3002-The-Other-Street-Fighter

The Taiwanese Street Fighter movie.
Yeah, freaking Goku out of left field. It's like writing your first fan-fictioin when you're ten in math class. You have no original ideas and decide to mash up anything you ever thought was cool.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Tonalberry

Well, Movie Bob liked it.  And 2 Chun Li's, man!  A MILF-Li and her daughter!

Sabby

The pre-order crowd got the Duke Nukem Forever demo. I have watched it. And I have only this to say... if you think I'm paying full price for THAT when you had 12 years to do it, then your pretty mistaken. What a bland, boring, underwhelming looking game... this is something a college programming class would make.

Hemingway

So, Hunted: The Demon's Forge is out now. I know a lot of people who said it looked like it'd be cool. I kept telling them it was going to suck. It looks like I was right all along.

Wyrd

Man, I forgot about that game. It really does look like it would suck. :P In other news, I'm watching the Canadian Video game awards right now and as expected, AC Brotherhood and ME 2 are sweeping house. 
Ragtime Dandies!

Hemingway

ME2 wins everything, always. Because it's the best game ever.

Wyrd

Ragtime Dandies!

Hemingway

Wolfy

*Grabs some popcorn, sets up a lawn chair, and watches the fireworks*

Wyrd

Fireworks? No... I mean, ME and ME 2 are my two personal favorite games. (Besides Banjo Tooie). But I don't think I would be so blunt as to say "Best game ever". I could easily say the same thing about Shadow of the Colossus or Morrowwind. :P   
Ragtime Dandies!

Hemingway

Morrowind is a great game, sure. I'm a huge Elder Scrolls fan. I've never played Shadow of the Colossus, so I couldn't say. There are also plenty of other games I find amazing. But Mass Effect just blew me away. I mean, I hesitate to call it more than just a game, but it does sort of feel like something massive, like the Star Wars of my generation, or something. And if I had to pick my favorite game ever, or the one game I could play for the rest of my life or whatever, then Mass Effect 2 would ( at this point - we'll see how ME3 turns out ) definitely be it.

Wyrd

Fair enough. I'd feel the same way if only the plot for ME2 was handled better then it was. Lots of things like retcons, contradictions and stuff that didn't make scenes made it not as special as ME1   
Ragtime Dandies!

Wolfy

Quote from: Hemingway on June 04, 2011, 03:18:46 PM
Morrowind is a great game, sure. I'm a huge Elder Scrolls fan. I've never played Shadow of the Colossus, so I couldn't say. There are also plenty of other games I find amazing. But Mass Effect just blew me away. I mean, I hesitate to call it more than just a game, but it does sort of feel like something massive, like the Star Wars of my generation, or something. And if I had to pick my favorite game ever, or the one game I could play for the rest of my life or whatever, then Mass Effect 2 would ( at this point - we'll see how ME3 turns out ) definitely be it.

You..haven't played...shadow of the collosus?...*eye starts to twitch*

Wyrd

Some people also don't like World of warcraft, Wolfy. Gotta get used to things
Ragtime Dandies!

Hemingway

Quote from: Wolfy on June 04, 2011, 03:32:17 PM
You..haven't played...shadow of the collosus?...*eye starts to twitch*

I've never owned a Playstation and the game just doesn't seem that interesting to me.

Quote from: Wyrd on June 04, 2011, 03:29:55 PM
Fair enough. I'd feel the same way if only the plot for ME2 was handled better then it was. Lots of things like retcons, contradictions and stuff that didn't make scenes made it not as special as ME1   

Such as? I mean, I know most of the complaints people had about ME2's plot, and I personally don't find them that bad. Or bad at all. Not looking to start a huge debate here, just curious.

Wyrd

I'll start you off. I doubt you'll watch all 6 parts, but each one does of valid and true arguments against the plot for ME2. You'll most likely try and find resons why he's wrong or if the video were made by a troll, but really think about.

(1 of 6) Mass Effect 2 Plot Analysis
Ragtime Dandies!

Geeklet

I made it about halfway through the second part before I had to stop. While the guy does bring up a few valid points, there were other points made where I had to wonder if he ever even played through the game and explored all the options available.

Hemingway

Quote from: Wyrd on June 04, 2011, 04:34:32 PM
I'll start you off. I doubt you'll watch all 6 parts, but each one does of valid and true arguments against the plot for ME2. You'll most likely try and find resons why he's wrong or if the video were made by a troll, but really think about.

I could make exactly the same argument against those who think the plot is bad: I could try pointing out why their complaints are baseless, but if they dislike the game, they're going to dislike the game no matter what I say. For that reason, I'm not going to.

Thing is, I've heard most of the reasons before, and I've yet to hear a single one that's valid and actually significant. And I'm sorry, but I'm not going to sift through six videos by someone who starts off saying it has one of the worst plots in history, trying to find a valid point. The parts I did listen to, I have to agree with Geeklet on. Like the thing with the Collectors. Most of his questions are actually addressed in the game. It's like ... what?

Tonalberry

Wow, so Dungeons and Dragons: Daggerdale is based off of 4th Ed D&D?  I'm really gonna have to play it now, and see how it is.  Downloading the trial right now.

Inkidu

Quote from: Wyrd on June 04, 2011, 03:29:55 PM
You know. Thermal clips is not a failure of the writing staff? It's a failure of the play-testers? Bioware actually wanted to use both the overheat and thermal clips.

However, I'm going to introduce you all to the deconstructionist school of literary criticism: All fictional works naturally deconstruct themselves. It's a natural process, really. That's why things like deus ex machina, writer's conveniences, and retcons exist. They are literally there for the sole purpose of patching up a work as it deteriorates.

The only guard against it is the willful suspension of disbelief. Sadly, that's got to be willful.

Seriously, give me any game I can show you how it deconstructs itself in one way or another.

If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.