Aetheria: The Shadow War [Fairy Tale Crossover! ALL NEEDED! Free Cake!]

Started by Vergil Tanner, June 07, 2018, 06:04:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vergil Tanner

QuoteAble to use spells and magic to his advantage. With books he’s read, as well as the forceful training he received from his grandfather, Koschei can use many different types of spells and hexes for simple spells like moving objects and locking doors, as well as the use of darker arts, such as spells that manipulate shadows and an individuals worst nightmares to come to life.

That still isn't choosing one or two aspects to focus on; it's still very vague as to what he can actually do. Would you mind expanding on this a little and going into detail on specifically what his capabilities are with his magic, please? Ta muchly!
Vergil's Faceclaim Archive; For All Your Character Model Seeking Needs!

Men in general judge more by the sense of sight than by that of touch, because everyone can see but few can test by feeling. Everyone sees what you seem to be, few know what you really are; and those few do not dare take a stand against the general opinion. Therefore it is unnecessary to have all the qualities I have enumerated, but it is very necessary to appear to have them. And I shall dare to say this also, that to have them and always observe them is injurious, and that to appear to have them is useful; to appear merciful, faithful, humane, religious, upright, and be so, but with a mind so framed that should you require not to be so, you may be able and know how to change to the opposite.

Dubbed the "Oath of Drake,"
A noble philosophy; I adhere...for now.

Tokyorose627

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on June 23, 2018, 02:23:12 AM
That still isn't choosing one or two aspects to focus on; it's still very vague as to what he can actually do. Would you mind expanding on this a little and going into detail on specifically what his capabilities are with his magic, please? Ta muchly!

A bit confused by I’ll try to expand on it more when I get back from work. D:

Vergil Tanner

Well, think of it kinda like WCBH; Choose one or two things, and then detail exactly what he can and can't do. The parameters, limits, capabilities, etc etc :-)

Men in general judge more by the sense of sight than by that of touch, because everyone can see but few can test by feeling. Everyone sees what you seem to be, few know what you really are; and those few do not dare take a stand against the general opinion. Therefore it is unnecessary to have all the qualities I have enumerated, but it is very necessary to appear to have them. And I shall dare to say this also, that to have them and always observe them is injurious, and that to appear to have them is useful; to appear merciful, faithful, humane, religious, upright, and be so, but with a mind so framed that should you require not to be so, you may be able and know how to change to the opposite.

Tokyorose627

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on June 23, 2018, 10:20:40 AM
Well, think of it kinda like WCBH; Choose one or two things, and then detail exactly what he can and can't do. The parameters, limits, capabilities, etc etc :-)

Ah ok, got it.

Vergil Tanner

Tokyorose627

Vergil Tanner

Ok, so, I think you are misunderstanding what we're saying a little.

The simple Hexes are fine, but saying that he can cast various Dark Arts spells that do a variety of things is not what we meant when we said "Focus on one or two things he can do." What we mean is, focus on one or two spells. So the "Simple Hexes" for unlocking doors and lighting up rooms and the like are fine for the first one. The second one, choose a specific type of spell (EG, Teleportation, Shapeshifting, etc) that he can use. I think you are underestimating how Low Magic Ariathelm currently is. His capabilities will improve over time, but at this moment, he should have intense difficulty in even casting simple spells due to the difference in the nature and permeance of magic in this world. Take a look back a couple of pages at what we said to VonDoom with Jafar for an idea :-)

Tokyorose627

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on June 23, 2018, 08:33:30 PM
Ok, so, I think you are misunderstanding what we're saying a little.

The simple Hexes are fine, but saying that he can cast various Dark Arts spells that do a variety of things is not what we meant when we said "Focus on one or two things he can do." What we mean is, focus on one or two spells. So the "Simple Hexes" for unlocking doors and lighting up rooms and the like are fine for the first one. The second one, choose a specific type of spell (EG, Teleportation, Shapeshifting, etc) that he can use. I think you are underestimating how Low Magic Ariathelm currently is. His capabilities will improve over time, but at this moment, he should have intense difficulty in even casting simple spells due to the difference in the nature and permeance of magic in this world. Take a look back a couple of pages at what we said to VonDoom with Jafar for an idea :-)

Oh, ok. That makes more sense, I was cinfused what you were saying before but it’s a bit clearer now. I’ll fix it.

Vergil Tanner

Tokyorose627

PentheWonderful

Well, let's take a look, shall we? :D

Quote from: Tokyorose627 on June 22, 2018, 08:52:39 PM
Powers and Abilities

Hexes: Having been taught ‘properly’ by his grandfather, Koschei has the knowledge of over a dozen hexes for easy and simple use. Casting with his wand, along with proper movement, allows him to do such things as move objects freely with the use of levitation, the ability to unlock doors that are otherwise sealed, and to illuminate rooms within darkness. However not all of the spells he has have worked, and with needing complete concentration and how the spells work in order to cast them, constant effort and practice is required to flawlessly cast them. As well, a user of magic must use absolute concentration, and the watcher that flows within them that helps cast the magic. Depending on the type of spell and what it does, an amount of aether could be consumed. When one runs out, sleep, food, or a transfer of aether  from another individual can help replenish the lost magic.

Your explanation of how the magic is casted is wonderfully written. This part is approved. :D

Quote from: Tokyorose627 on June 22, 2018, 08:52:39 PM
Some examples include:

Effero: A simple spell that allows an object or individual to be levitated. Concentration is key or else the item, or person, will fall from whichever height they are left at when the spell breaks.

Resero: Unlocks doors, chests, and other things that are unopebable. The spell will not work if a higher level protection spell is cast upon the item or door that an individual wishes to unlock.

Dark Arts: The dark arts are spells, curses, and incantations that Koschei was forced to learn by his grandfather. Although he still has the knowledge, he refuses to use them, wishing to have no connection to his grandfather and his teachings. Despite this, he can’t help but remember, and the spells, and temptation to use them, still haunt him.

Expendo: A black magic spell that, when cast, causes immense internal and external pain. Despite leaving no physical cuts or injuries, the pain is intense enough to break some individuals, and outright kill them in some occasions. The spell requires a specific target, and hatred towards the individual in order to be cast correctly.

Perforo: A devastating spell that, when targeted at an individual, causes stab wounds to litter their body, as if a sword of knife has pierced through their skin. Only a handful of stab wounds open, however depending on the accuracy and concentration of the spell, people can survive from the curse.

So, would Koschei be able to cast all these spells while in Ariathelm? It's not that we don't want Koschei to be able to do them at all, just that in the city, he isn't quite at full capacity. For instance, Jafar is normally a powerful sorcerer, but because of Ariathelm's own magic, his magic is restricted to only controlling weak spirits.

So, I'd say out of the 5 examples you've listed, pick two that he can use. I'll give you a pass for having both Effero and Resero, since I consider them both to be telekinetic functions. However, I would recommend picking the Dark Arts section for the "second" option - specifically, mild curses and hexes, though perhaps not powerful enough to kill - because Expendo and Perforo seems a bit too powerful to be used in the city. It's fine for him to be able to use it back in his own world, of course, including the rest of his magic and abilities, but in the city, just pick 2. :-)

You can write out the full extent of his abilities, but remember to put "however, due to the city's barriers, he is only limited to..." and include your picks.

Sound good? :-)
"The secret behind every genius is a heart full of sadness, a mind laced with madness, and just a little bit of magic."

Tokyorose627

Quote from: PentheWonderful on June 24, 2018, 01:45:25 AM
Well, let's take a look, shall we? :D

Your explanation of how the magic is casted is wonderfully written. This part is approved. :D

So, would Koschei be able to cast all these spells while in Ariathelm? It's not that we don't want Koschei to be able to do them at all, just that in the city, he isn't quite at full capacity. For instance, Jafar is normally a powerful sorcerer, but because of Ariathelm's own magic, his magic is restricted to only controlling weak spirits.

So, I'd say out of the 5 examples you've listed, pick two that he can use. I'll give you a pass for having both Effero and Resero, since I consider them both to be telekinetic functions. However, I would recommend picking Dark Arts for the "second" option, because Expendo and Perforo seems a bit too powerful to be used in the city. It's fine for him to be able to use it back in his own world, of course, including the rest of his magic and abilities, but in the city, just pick 2. :-)

You can write out the full extent of his abilities, but remember to put "however, due to the city's barriers, he is only limited to..." and include your picks.

Sound good? :-)

So if I’m understanding correctly, just pick one of the spells from the “Dark Arts” catergory then?

PentheWonderful

Quote from: Tokyorose627 on June 24, 2018, 01:58:43 AM
So if I’m understanding correctly, just pick one of the spells from the “Dark Arts” catergory then?

Yep! Just, nothing as powerful as Expendo and Perforo.
"The secret behind every genius is a heart full of sadness, a mind laced with madness, and just a little bit of magic."

Tokyorose627

Quote from: PentheWonderful on June 24, 2018, 02:00:54 AM
Yep! Just, nothing as powerful as Expendo and Perforo.

Ah ok. I’ll make something then that’s not super powerful.

PentheWonderful

Tokyorose627

PentheWonderful

Quote from: Tokyorose627 on June 24, 2018, 02:19:19 AM
Alright fixed and hopefully created a spell that isn’t too powerful?

Vergil and I just had a chat, and you're good to go! :D

Just send us your writing prompt and we can add you to our roster! :D

Tokyorose627

Quote from: PentheWonderful on June 24, 2018, 06:16:21 PM
Vergil and I just had a chat, and you're good to go! :D

Just send us your writing prompt and we can add you to our roster! :D

Cool! Unfortunately I forgot about the writing prompt, and I’m at work atm. I’ll type and send it out when I come back tonight.

PentheWonderful

Quote from: Tokyorose627 on June 24, 2018, 06:19:10 PM
Cool! Unfortunately I forgot about the writing prompt, and I’m at work atm. I’ll type and send it out when I come back tonight.

No problem, love :D

Tokyorose627

Quote from: PentheWonderful on June 24, 2018, 06:20:38 PM
No problem, love :D

Awesome! I hope everyone likes Koschei, he’s a bit of a anti-hero that just needs a hug, and maybe some friends.  :'(

PentheWonderful

Quote from: Tokyorose627 on June 24, 2018, 06:24:11 PM
Awesome! I hope everyone likes Koschei, he’s a bit of a anti-hero that just needs a hug, and maybe some friends.  :'(

AWWWW!! Well! I certainly love him already, and I know Alice will too. :D

Vergil Tanner

Well, just PM us the Writing Prompt, and you should be all good to go when we get started :D

PentheWonderful

Well, Tokyo! Vergil and I have reviewed your prompt and...

YOU'RE APPROVED, YAY! :D

We loved your prompt. Welcome aboard!

Tokyorose627

Yay! Thanks so much guys, super excited for this game, really! TTATT

I hope everyone likes Koschei! I’ve had this character for a while and wanted to use him again, so I hope to finally flesh him out and bring out his full potential! :D

Levi

Quote from: Tokyorose627 on June 26, 2018, 11:05:27 AM
Yay! Thanks so much guys, super excited for this game, really! TTATT

I hope everyone likes Koschei! I’ve had this character for a while and wanted to use him again, so I hope to finally flesh him out and bring out his full potential! :D
Looking forward to meeting this charcter properly. :)
A Working Progress.             Posting responses are: Slow.    Updated