Deathwatch Interest Check

Started by Lirliel, July 08, 2014, 01:46:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lirliel

Hey everyone, I'm looking to run a proper Deathwatch game using the FFG rules.

I've got several ideas for a long running plot which will take the Marines from defending Imperial outposts to searching a way off world with an Inquisitor before Tyranids arrive and more of such things, if anyone is interested, feel free to post in this thread.
"Jealousy would be far less torturous if we understood that love is a passion entirely unrelated to our merits."

"A minute of perfection was worth the effort. A moment was the most you could ever expect from perfection."

ArtemisHighmore

I am intrigued. I love the lore of 40k. I have looked into picking up Deathwatch but have never gotten around to it so I confess I don't know the system. >.<

Cataclysmic Archangel

I'm in the same boat as Arty.  I have all the FFG books handy, as I just taught myself Black Crusade for another game starting on here.  So I'd be all for something DW'ish.

AndyZ

I'm not exceptionally talented with Deathwatch but I have the core and would be interested in trying.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Lirliel

Getting the books for ya'll shouldn't be that hard, if you catch my drift, in the interest of keeping it 'comfortable' we'll be just using the core book, it's a solid book and has a good group of chapters you can choose from.

How much of the lore do you guys know, for example if I were to ask you what Armageddon is, would you know?
"Jealousy would be far less torturous if we understood that love is a passion entirely unrelated to our merits."

"A minute of perfection was worth the effort. A moment was the most you could ever expect from perfection."

ArtemisHighmore

Which one of the three would you be referring to? :P

Cataclysmic Archangel

Armageddon was one of the worlds that 'hosted' one of the largest Waaaaghs in galactic history, and nearly wiped out multiple races and SM Chapters in the process.  Beyond that, I can always go look stuff up.

Lirliel

By whom was Armageddon invaded first though before Ghazghkull Mag Uruk Thraka decided to wreck face?

ArtemisHighmore

Chaos Space marines if I am not mistaken. I could be, been a while since I read about that particular war.

Zeth

BenedictWolfe

Quote from: Lirliel on July 10, 2014, 12:09:46 PM
By whom was Armageddon invaded first though before Ghazghkull Mag Uruk Thraka decided to wreck face?

The First War for Armageddon was fought in 444.M41, when the Daemon Prince Angron united all the World Eater warbands under his banner and invaded the planet to butcher its populace for the greater glory of Khorne. The Space Wolves, Grey Knights, Armageddon Steel Legion and the planetary defence forces eventually repelled the invasion.

ArtemisHighmore

ChaoticSky

Quote from: BenedictWolfe on July 11, 2014, 10:29:47 AM
The First War for Armageddon was fought in 444.M41, when the Daemon Prince Angron united all the World Eater warbands under his banner and invaded the planet to butcher its populace for the greater glory of Khorne. The Space Wolves, Grey Knights, Armageddon Steel Legion and the planetary defence forces eventually repelled the invasion.
After which a nubbin Inquisitor decided to have all the mortals involved (ie, everyone except the Grey Knights and Space Wolves) force-laboured to death so the planet could be repopulated with new colonists who had not been exposed to chaos. You could say that the Space Wolves didnt think too much of that plan, and set about saving as many people as they could, and told the Inquisitor that he could take a long walk out of a short airlock. Said inquisitor thought that no one could defy the Inquisition, and decided the best thing to do was double down and call their bluff... against the Space Wolves. Which resulted in a naval standoff where the inquisition was forced to run like little bitches.

They spend the next while scattering the survivors as far and wide as they could, while engaging in a running not-so-cold-war with the Inquisitor's Company of Grey Knights, who were so disgusted with what they were doing that they called it the Months Of Shame. Since his grand plan to bring the Space Wolves to heel wasnt working. The Inquisitor came up with a new plan; Attack The Fang. The most unassailable fortress in the Imperium outside The Emperor's Palace on Terra.

Which went about how youd expect (rather poorly for the attackers).... and then the whole rest of the Space Wolves showed up, the Entire chapter, because you do not mess with Fenris. In desperation, the Inquisitor had a face-to-steel plate conversation with Bjorn The Fell Handed (because they woke his venerable ass up for this), hoping to talk  some 'sense' into them, with the gracious offer of letting them surrender and take up a penitent crusade as punishment for their defiance. Naturally Bjorn told him where he could shove that.

It ended when Logan Grimnar, clad in Terminator armour, teleported into the Inquisition's flagship, charged right across the bridge, vaulted onto the command deck and cut the Inquisitor's head off. Only Bjorn kept them from annihilating the entire force, and in the end, the Inquisition decided to let sleeping wolves lay.

Lirliel

Alright, that was indeed the First War and the whole shitstorm that followed it ;)

So, if possible, what would you like more, to be a Deathwatch Kill-Team or rather to be a group of Marines from a single chapter, just asking because of story elements etc.

ArtemisHighmore

I am open to either route, though if we are voting chapters I say Space Wolves. >.>

ChaoticSky

I am also fine either way; but if you willing/interested, could i be allowed to play a human working alongside them? Probably a Inquisitor for a killteam, or a navigator with a group of wolves. I have the skill, and it can add some interesting skill diversity to a killteam ;D

Lirliel

I'd rather keep it solely to the Deathwatch, after all we are using the FFG books for this and I'd rather not mix & match.

ArtemisHighmore

Cataclysmic Archangel

*catches up on a few missed comments and such*  That sounds like so much fun.

Hey, would GKs be an option? :)

Lirliel

I'd rather avoid GK for the reason that they are barely even known seeing as if you meet them they mindwipe you.

That or they just murder you. So no GK please.

Cataclysmic Archangel

Fair enough.

with that said, I'm all over mixed units so we can pick our own.  I assume that's how it works, I've only looked at DH so far.

Lirliel

It's not quite units, you are each playing a Space Marine sent from one of six chapters that are in the Core rulebook, though if you'd like to play from another that can be swung, the rest of the books have a lot of different chapters there.

The core rulebook have these chapters: Blood Angels, Dark Angels, Space Wolves, Black Templars, Ultramarines and the Storm Wardens (FFG Chapter).

Cataclysmic Archangel

Not sure where Units came from, honestly.  I meant chapters.  DA would probably be my poison of choice, so that's cool.  They're probably my favorite of the loyalist chapters.  Them and Greys.  Needless to say, Pandorax was a favorite novel of mine. :)

PaladinZenaku

Quote from: Arcannyx on July 13, 2014, 08:41:44 AM
Not sure where Units came from, honestly.  I meant chapters.  DA would probably be my poison of choice, so that's cool.  They're probably my favorite of the loyalist chapters.  Them and Greys.  Needless to say, Pandorax was a favorite novel of mine. :)
Well there is a chapter made by the grey knights that one of the FFG deathwatch books did stat that there has been members from the chapter in Deathwatch. The chapter is the Exorcist chapter. I know of them because I use to play a exorcist keeper in a deathwatch rpg site that didnt use dice rolls.
"Underneath the silvery moon,
Your path can still turn foul.
You'll know you've made a wretched move,
When werewolves start to howl."
~Shadowfang~
Alpha Male of Southern US Pack

Cataclysmic Archangel

Ah.  So that's where the Exorcists are mentioned.  They show up in Forge World, too.  But there they're a full chapter.