Record Of Lodoss War - Fantasy, System Game (Dungeon World) - CLOSED

Started by Cassandra LeMay, November 13, 2015, 04:46:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: wander on November 14, 2015, 07:33:47 AM
Heh, well I did list Bard and Ranger, it's been a bit since I've read the Thief profile over, though it's cool... I wouldn't want to change classes as every party needs a thief for them pesky traps and you're allowing the option there anyway. ^^
You said Rogue and I don't know of any class like that in DW so I assumed you meant Thief, but Bard would certainly work too. If you like the Bard class it might be a pretty good option, if you want to avoid dealing with all the poison-related moves the Thief has. The Bard also has some Multiclass Moves so you could still pick up the trap-related stuff later.
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

wander

I did mean the Thief when I said Rogue (stupid D&D 3.5... xD) but yeah... If you don't mind I think I'll go with Human Bard. :)

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: wander on November 14, 2015, 08:14:06 AM
I did mean the Thief when I said Rogue (stupid D&D 3.5... xD) but yeah... If you don't mind I think I'll go with Human Bard. :)
I don't mind at all.  :-) As you are familiar with the rules I guess you can start thinking about moves and such now, but when it comes to the description of your character I might like to point you (no pun intended) to the image in the first post of this thread. Top row, center is an elf, and you can see they have preeeety long ears in this setting. You might want to account for that when describing your character.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

wander

Sure, I'll have a think on it though keep my thoughts purely in my head until I see more what other people are leaning towards too, though I think I'm going to make my bard and archer and so lean more to dexterity than strength but also consider the attributes best suited for their class moves. :)

Cassandra LeMay

While we wait what kind of character Sessha might want to play, can I ask you all for some opinion where this game should best go?

I am leaning towards the "Light" category, which should be fine as long as we keep descriptions of violence and whatnot to a "cinematic" level and don't go into any gory details (which will not change the outcome of dice rolls and damage anyway).

But if you folks want to go beyond that, please let me know now, before I start us a character creation thread, OOC thread, and whatnot. Staff can certainly move threads around, but I would rather not bother asking a staff member for that, if we can settle the matter from the get go.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

Sessha

Hey Cassandra from some of the stuff I've been able to see and most of this I can't exactly remember where I read it but it suggests Lodoss is actually more the size of Australia. Which given the kinds of lands, topography and geographical locations would seem to bare this out. I thought I would mention this to you.
Locked, cocked and ready to rock!

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: Sessha on November 14, 2015, 09:55:55 AM
Hey Cassandra from some of the stuff I've been able to see and most of this I can't exactly remember where I read it but it suggests Lodoss is actually more the size of Australia. Which given the kinds of lands, topography and geographical locations would seem to bare this out. I thought I would mention this to you.
Tjat's not wuite how I see it, but we'll worry about that when it becomes relevant.  :-)

What concerns me more right now is what type of character you would like to play. If it is something someone else already has in mind I am sure we can work something out.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

wander

Violence-wise, long as we don't have a Barbarian or any weapons with the 'Messy' tag etc, we should be okay for the lighter boards. I've played as a few classes and when I played as a Barbarian in Dungeon World, that does tend to make attacks described in a fairly graphic manner (due to gaining Forceful and Messy tags for their attacks). Though that would be if the Barbarian class would even be allowed, even though it does come with the pdf corebook as a seperate file when DW is bought on drivethru.

Sessha

Quote from: Cassandra LeMay on November 14, 2015, 10:08:10 AM
Tjat's not wuite how I see it, but we'll worry about that when it becomes relevant.  :-)

What concerns me more right now is what type of character you would like to play. If it is something someone else already has in mind I am sure we can work something out.

Fair enough I suppose. Anyway as far as race and class. I was looking at are.

Human. Paladin, Fighter and Ranger.

Though I was kind of curious. I'm guessing that you are basing the use of paladins off the idea of manga Lady of Pharis? It was the only time I know of that they allowed priests to pick arms to fight.

Please don't misunderstand me. I'm not trying to be contrite. I'm just trying to make it fit within the lore I'm familiar with is all. I love the lore and history behind the series as well. If you want a comical take on things you should try watching Rune Soldier Louie. It's an interesting look at life on the Continent of Alacrast. I'm rather looking forward to playing in this setting.  ;D

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: Sessha on November 14, 2015, 10:29:57 AM
Please don't misunderstand me. I'm not trying to be contrite. I'm just trying to make it fit within the lore I'm familiar with is all. I love the lore and history behind the series as well. If you want a comical take on things you should try watching Rune Soldier Louie. It's an interesting look at life on the Continent of Alacrast. I'm rather looking forward to playing in this setting.  ;D
No worries. I am all for talking about expectations, lore, and all that jazz before we actually start the game, least we discover later that we are coming at this from different directions.  :-)

I did watch a little bit of the first episode of Rune Soldier a few day ago and discovered I should rather not watch the series right now, as it would seriously distract me from the slightly more serious tone I am looking for in this game.  :D

When it comes to the Paladin I am all for it. What makes the Paladin special is that he dedicates himself to a quest. That could be anything from a priest of Myrii to a Holy Knight of Valis to a seriously dedicated fighter type (in many ways I see Parn as a Fighter who multiclasses a little bit to take some of the Paladin abilities because he is a non-magical fighter type at heart, but dedicates himself to a given task to the fullest).

When the Dungeon World rules say "Paladin" we can approach that in any number of different way. As far as the rules are concerned it may mean one thing, but when it comes to the character the door is wide open to interpretation.

I will not base this class on any specific lore - I will base it on what you make of the general idea and on what we agree on. A fighter with clerical magic, a cleric with good fighting skills, someone so dedicated to his quest that his sheer force of will grants him some magical abilitie? All that and more is possible. 

Quote from: Sessha on November 14, 2015, 10:29:57 AM
Though I was kind of curious. I'm guessing that you are basing the use of paladins off the idea of manga Lady of Pharis? It was the only time I know of that they allowed priests to pick arms to fight.
Etoh does smack a Goblin over the head when he and Parn assault the goblin cave near Saxon. And I see nothing in the anime that expressly states that priests are forbidden to fight. I'd say a priest of Falis can certainly fight if it is for the defense of the greater good, and a priest of Myrii will also be allowed to do it, provided he follows the precepts of the faith (see above). A preiest of Marfa might be somewhat more limited, but I can still see them taking up arms at the very least to defend themselves.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

Sessha

I think you are right. What I need to do is sit down and read the whole of  The Lady Pharis manga. I've read an issue or two of it throughout the years but not from the beginning. But yes I do believe that Priests are allowed to take up arms when the needs arises. I was thinking of someone who followed a code that was close in line with either Myrii or Phalis. That of the creed. "Destroy your enemies. Protect the weak. Love justice, but do mercy." Sounds like something for you then?

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: Sessha on November 14, 2015, 12:02:14 PM
I think you are right. What I need to do is sit down and read the whole of  The Lady Pharis manga. I've read an issue or two of it throughout the years but not from the beginning. But yes I do believe that Priests are allowed to take up arms when the needs arises. I was thinking of someone who followed a code that was close in line with either Myrii or Phalis. That of the creed. "Destroy your enemies. Protect the weak. Love justice, but do mercy." Sounds like something for you then?
It certainly is something I believe we can work with, but it's been (literally) a decade or two since I read any of the manga, and perhaps we should not dwell too much on that, least we overwhelm the players who are not familiar with the setting and all the possible details it could offer?

That said, what we could also think about is the possibility that a Paladin doesn't have to be part of the clergy. It might be possible that someone only prescribes to certain aspects of a religion and derives strength from that, without really being bound by the same rules as a priest. Put a little more emphasis here, a little less there, and a follower of a god/godess could turn out very differently from the priests of the same religion.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

Sessha

Same for me really. It's been about that long. As for the whole paladin aspect I think I'll stick with a god. Which since it seems about right for it I'll stick with Phalis if that's cool with you Cass?

Tackyhillbilly

Quote from: Cassandra LeMay on November 14, 2015, 05:23:50 AM
Rangers don't have to be "tree huggers". I think a "rugged mountain man" type character is juuuust fine.  :-)

There is a dwarven kingdom in the north-east of Lodoss, near the main temple of Marfa and close to the cave of the white/silver dragon Brahmd. Ghim was brought to the temple of Marfa for healing after an accident in the mines. That's when he met Laylia, according to the OVA. Given that the dwarves of the White Mountains would have some contact with the clerics of Marfa and, most likely, some human traders from Alania, a dwarven scout/ranger/lookout character who spent some time above ground to keep an eye on the roads and mountain passes would make sense.

Alright, I've been reading up on the setting, and that works. Another question though. Is the dislike between Elves and Dwarves still a thing?

Cassandra LeMay

I'll be brief for I am a lil sleepy at the moment. Longer answer tomorrow, if required (sorry, guys).

Sessha, if we are talking about the supreme god of Light, the same fate Etoh follows, that's certainly fine by me. Stupid transliterations and translations and what not. *grumbles* Pharis, Falis, Faris, ... I'd like to stick with Falis, as that's the spelling I am most used to, but basically yes, that's cool with me.  :-)

Tacky, there's only so much canon we can base this on, but I'd say any animosity between Elves and Dwarves doesn't run all that deep. There might well be some gruff words exchanged and animosity on the surface, but underneath it is some respect for the other race too.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

Zenkai

so what level of smutpolitically correct content do we want for the game? Personally I'm fine with Light, even if that precludes the possibility of having a bound beauty to rescue  ;D

Sessha

No you see rescuing smoking hot high elves is the job of a paladin!  ;D ;D ;D

Tackyhillbilly

My Dwarf will just be over here, dying before the end of the series.

Sessha

Ah but you forget dying heroically to save the life of an innocent!  ;D ;D ;D

Tackyhillbilly

So a Human Cleric, Paladin, and Thief, a Dwarven Ranger, and an Elvish Fighter. We are nice ethnically and viewpoint diverse party, from the sound of it. Is the plan for this Eclectic group to have formed pregame? Where is the game starting? If we aren't a party, we all need reasons to be there, and if we are a party already, we need to figure out how that happened. Unless the plan is to run Prologues for us to get us to the right places.

Cassandra LeMay

While the premise of the Dungeon World rules is that the group starts out in front of a dungeon (or other dangerous situation), my preference would be more for having at least a bit of Prologue, to get the group together.

It'll depend a bit on who the characters will really be, what their backgrounds and origins are, but it's likely at least some of you will come from different regions, especially the elf and dwarf (simply because they live in different areas of Lodoss). It's possible the paladin and cleric may already know each other, but that depends on their gods.

I'll make some coffee, then start us a character creation thread in the "Light" part of the forum. I think we'll get a better idea how best to bring the characters together when they are better defined.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

Cassandra LeMay

Alright, started us a thread for character creation and a bunch of other stuff here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=239731.0

Please bookmark that thread and lets get started on the nitty gritty technical details of your characters.  :-)

(Sonia Sotomayor)

Zack Seamus

I am really, really interested in this. I love Lodoss setting. What should I do? Should I send you a PM?
This has been removed due to vandalism

Cassandra LeMay

Actually, the one who should do something is me, as I should have marked this thread as "closed" days ago.  :-(

As things are right now, there are already five players and that is about as much as I'd like to handle, especially given that I'm trying out a system here that's new for me, so my learning curve will be fairly steep, even with a small group.

I am sorry if I raised some false hopes by not marking this as closed when I should have. My apologies for that. But should I ever run another Lodoss-based game I'll PM you and let you know. Not promising anything, but shiuld it ever happen I'll keep you informed.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

Zack Seamus

Quote from: Cassandra LeMay on November 24, 2015, 10:28:39 AM
Actually, the one who should do something is me, as I should have marked this thread as "closed" days ago.  :-(

As things are right now, there are already five players and that is about as much as I'd like to handle, especially given that I'm trying out a system here that's new for me, so my learning curve will be fairly steep, even with a small group.

I am sorry if I raised some false hopes by not marking this as closed when I should have. My apologies for that. But should I ever run another Lodoss-based game I'll PM you and let you know. Not promising anything, but shiuld it ever happen I'll keep you informed.

:'( ok
This has been removed due to vandalism