Spyware Problem

Started by Serephino, March 31, 2011, 06:16:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Serephino

My boyfriend is having an issue with Ad-Aware.  He tried to update it, and it froze.  He tried re-installing it, and now it has no updates and no definitions, and still freezes when he tries to update. 

Autumn Sativus

You'll need to be more specific with what's popping up that makes it adware for specific removal instructions.

Alternatively trying downloading and running Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and CCleaner (registry scan).
Us against the world
Just a couple sinners making fun of hell

~~A&A(updated March 2021)~~Tales~~Wants~~O&O~~Wiki~~

Serephino

The program itself opens just fine.  Then when he clicks on update the little window pops up that says checking for updates.  That is where it freezes and stops responding.  It wouldn't scan either.  Once it even made his whole computer freeze.  He's checked the running programs and processes, and said he didn't see anything suspicious, so we don't know what's going on with it.

Autumn Sativus

Run it in Safe-Mode, then. Usually a matter of mashing F3 as your computer is starting up (but sometimes an alternate button depending on the make),
Us against the world
Just a couple sinners making fun of hell

~~A&A(updated March 2021)~~Tales~~Wants~~O&O~~Wiki~~

Saerrael

Quote from: Serephino on March 31, 2011, 08:37:18 PM
The program itself opens just fine.  Then when he clicks on update the little window pops up that says checking for updates.  That is where it freezes and stops responding.  It wouldn't scan either.  Once it even made his whole computer freeze.  He's checked the running programs and processes, and said he didn't see anything suspicious, so we don't know what's going on with it.

I had that. I ran a scan of my HD, after a lot of trouble and found a few register keys floating that needed to be fixed after I had screwed around way too much finding my own way around.
Safe mode didn't fix it for me.
I'm going to keep an eye on this, if you don't mind, Sere.

Serephino

He tried Malwarebytes, so thanks for that suggestion.  He was looking for another similar program that didn't let him scan and then want him to buy it to remove everything. 

Oniya

On that front, make sure he avoids 'my clean pc dot com', 'double my speed dot com', or 'finally fast dot com'.  They're all actually the same company, and their 'free scan' is nothing but scareware designed to spook you into buying their expensive cleaning and online service contract.  I've seen stories about it coming up with hundreds of errors on a machine with no Internet connection and nothing on it but a clean install of the O/S.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17