Task Force Valkyrie - nWoD (Extreme)

Started by ivygrowth, December 16, 2010, 04:12:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ivygrowth

I am curious how much interest there would be for a game focused on a Task Force Valkyrie team from Hunter: the Vigil. 

The plot would be focused on them hunting down and dealing with various ENEs, as well as internal politics, backstabbing, etc.  The game would be rated as Extreme, as they would be facing some true monsters.  However I am willing to fade to black if a player isn't comfortable with a scene their character is in, or take a scene to another thread if a player isn't comfortable with a scene someone else's character is in.  I wouldn't be pulling punches, and character death would be a possibility.

Characters would begin as new recruits, brought in to replace the soldiers from a decimated TFV team.  The team's leader would, at least initially, be an NPC.

--                            --

Unit 1058C was founded in 1979 as part of a push to create flexible teams of field agents capable of rapidly deploying to deal with a variety of threats.  It served with distinction, at least as much distinction as you could get in a secret organization, before being nearly wiped out in 2010 during an operation in Alaska.  The details are classified, but only two members survived, and only one of them was capable of continuing as a field agent despite months of treatment. 

--                            --

The office was labelled as the "Agricultural Inspection Agency" on the building directory.  It filled the entire 13th floor and looked, for all outside purposes, to be just what it was labelled as.  It was only when one went deeper into the offices, past a high security door controlled by a biometric scanner, that a hint of its true purpose was revealed. 

The conference room was dominated by a large oval table lined with chairs.  A series of screens filled one wall, each displaying a picture of some strange monstrous entity or horrific crime scene.  The scenes changed periodically, never repeating.

At the head of the table stood an attractive woman who looked to be in her early to mid-thirties.  Her dark brown hair was pulled back in a bun, and piercing blue eyes stared out of a no-nonsense face.  She was dressed in a typical business suit, only the holstered pistol at her waist ruining the look. 

Kirinis

Dizzied

I'd definitely be interested.   :)  All my hunter games never get past the 'cell' level of organization. 

fallensaviour

hmm...tfv is fun though the vanguard is fun too...fbi supernatural group :D

ivygrowth

Ah, I'm glad there is interest :-)  Haven't always had much luck with getting enough people to get limited nWoD games off the ground. 

If you are interested, please post a bit about the character you are interested in playing.  Maybe their background, why they were recruited, personality, etc.  A character sheet isn't required quite yet.

Also, please post a bit about what you like to see, and dislike seeing, in a game :-)

Shadowfox

Hmm I might be interested, although I have not played hunter NWOD yet mainly Awakening and mostly larp in the new system. If you don't fill up to fast though I can see about getting a copy of some of the hunter book material. Or do you want us to just make a normal mortal and go from there?

ivygrowth

You might be able to get by in the short term without the Hunter book, if you play your character as rather blindsided by the whole experience, but you would need it eventually for the background and some of the rules.  Hunters get Professions for example (Cop, Criminal, Journalist, etc).  They can use Willpower in different ways.  There are a few Merits which may be useful.  Might be a few other things I am forgetting.

I will be giving the team a free Safehouse, so no one needs to put any merit points into that.

Everyone would get one dot in the merit Status, Task Force Valkyrie for free.  However they would not be allowed to raise it further at character creation.

mystictiger

Ooh! This sounds fun. My only concern is that I've only ever played oWoD Hunter.
Want a system game? I got system games!

ivygrowth

oWoD and nWoD Hunter are rather different.  You would need at least the nWoD core book to start, and the Hunter book before too long.  You wouldn't need to have played Hunter: the Vigil before, but would need to have the rules available. 

This game should work well enough as an introduction, since the characters involved would have had little to no contact with the supernatural up to that point.  Only enough to get them recruited into TFV.

Kirinis

How do you feel about characters whose parents were also Hunters?  I'm thinking of essentially playing a characters whose parents were part of the Vigil, albeit not for TFV.

ivygrowth

It might be fine, depending on how you see it happening.  I'm not looking for experienced hunters to be part of the group, so I would prefer he is as in the dark as the others.  A bit of knowledge might be alright, depending on whether you are seeing him as having battled dozens of monsters, or encountered one or two.  It would also depend on what group his parents had been a part of.

Though, it could be interesting if they provided him with some information they had gleaned from their own career, not all of which is correct.

Kirinis

I was actually tooling him to be a character who is related to another pair of characters in another Hunter game I was in once.  He wouldn't know that they were part of the Vigil and they never told him although they are still active.  It would be a handy plot hook for him to bump into them in the field.

ivygrowth

Dizzied

The character I'm thinking of would be a young woman, recruited from an intelligence background.  (CIA most likely.)  She was an operative in Eastern Europe, and ran into a monstrous encounter of some kind...not sure what exactly.

Whatever she ran into, it left her with a few scars, and she'd definitely be the type to start asking questions.  Her superiors might have thought she went insane, but before they could get rid of her, TFV caught wind of what she was spouting, and recruited her.

I doubt she'd get all the answers she was seeking, but she knows theres some unnatural creatures out there.  While most of her training is in espionage, she'd have a little bit of weapons training and vehicle training. 

Things I'd like to see in the game?  Some nice visceral action and horror.  Interoffice politics also sounds like it could be fun.

Things I'd like to avoid?  Overdramatizing certain things.  (Oh my god, vampires are REAL?  I don't believe it!)  I think there'd definitely be shock involved with discovering the supernatural, but I'd rather not focus on that.  Personal preference. 

Cold Heritage

Do you think I could join as a Brute Slasher? Sort of the rough idea I had is he sees some weird stuff, it breaks something inside him and he ends getting caught by TFV or VASCU, and the apprehending agents see him for what he is and figure they can turn him against the monsters for as long as they can until he either dies or they need to put him down.
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

ivygrowth

Your (Dizzied) character concept sounds good :-)

I would prefer to avoid too much focus on that as well.  Most of the characters would have had some kind of contact with the supernatural to get them recruited, and they should be professionals to one degree or another.  Not to say there wouldn't be some moments of shock/disbelief, given that they are being tossed in over their heads.  But hopefully that won't be a major aspect of how the characters react. 

--

No Slashers, sorry.

TheVillain

What about Mages? Tentative interest, by the way.
My O/O's / My A/A's / My Ideas
Update - Apologies to all my partners, real life is exploding and I've gotten far behind.

ivygrowth

I am only accepting Hunters who are members of TFV, sorry.

TheVillain

It's alright, just means I need to track down another book first.
My O/O's / My A/A's / My Ideas
Update - Apologies to all my partners, real life is exploding and I've gotten far behind.

ivygrowth

For anyone that is interested, please post or PM a character background for me.  If you already have, feel free to start working on a character sheet. :-)  Hopefully I can get it up and running before too long.

Dizzied

I'll start working on mine...standard starting stats?

ivygrowth

Yes, though I may provide a bit of EXP once the sheets are done.  However I won't say how much, if any, until the sheets are final. 

You do get Status, TFV at one dot for free, but can't take higher than that.
Don't take any dots in Safehouse.

ivygrowth

The Main Thread and OOC Thread have been created.  Please post your character sheet in the OOC thread when you are ready.  Please don't post in the Main Thread until I have at least approved your character concept, you don't need to have a full sheet done immediately as the first bit will mostly be discussion. 

OOC: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=92737.0
IC: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=92736.0