[Sign-Ups] The Invasion

Started by Ex68471, September 19, 2011, 11:42:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ex68471

It's finally happened. The existence of life beyond this world has been confirmed.

Good god, it's been confirmed...

On August 17th, 2021, countless cities and military bases across the globe ceased to exist. The first thought was that nuclear war had finally broken out, but then... The first broadcast blared out of every speaker that could recieve it.

"I am Commander Neran, military leader of the Expeditionary Force sent out from the homeworld of the Evarran Empire. We have rained down kinetic energy strikes on every last military stronghold you have on your planet. You have no chance of survival should you resist us. Submit to neural reconditioning or be annihilated."

And just like that, the world was forever changed.

Several ground bases have been set up by the Evarran forces, at least ten per continent. They have begun collecting specimens for various uses, includeing testing of biological neuroweapons, and their neural reconditioning.

Naturally, the Earth's native population is fighting back against this threat. There are many who have bunkered down with weapons and are defending their land. Fortunately, the aliens' infantry armor and vehicles are not capable of standing up to heavy fire, and the armor is easily pierced by even weak handguns at fairly long ranges. Unfortunately, their deadly weapons make up for their woefully lacking defense.

It is a hard fought battle, but it seems as though the Earth is losing. Slowly but surely, the Evarrans are destroying every pocket of resistance. Until...

Quote"Sir, we have a problem."

"Report, Scout."

"Commander, we've lost contact with Post Seven."

"... We what?"

"We've lost contact. And there's more..."

"What more?"

"We sent down a small team to investigate... They just returned."

"Well? Was it a tech malfunction?"

"No, sir... The personnel had all been killed. Although that is a light term for what was done to them..."

"What do you mean?"

"No alarms were tripped, but... All of the captives have escaped. And the personnel... They were torn to shreds. It looks like a wild animal. We've never seen anything like it..."

"... Senior officers meeting. NOW."

Quote"It is time to come out of the shadows... This threat to our world is too much. We must reveal ourselves. We must fight. It is time to show these intruders why the humans fear the night..."
Experiments 68469, 68470, and 68472 were perfect successes.
I am Experiment 68471, the catastrophic failure!

My Ons and Offs. Still a work in progress!

Attention: Everybody
I have horribly unreliable Internet. If I am on and suddenly am not, that is the most likely reason. Sorry! :D

GloomCookie

Interesting concept.  Couple of questions.  Are you intending this to be an RP about humans holding off aliens and something else?  Will we be working with the third  group?  Are we all screwed?
My DeviantArt

Ons and Offs Updated 9 October 2022

ShamshielDF

So...I have to ask..."Out of the Dark" by David Weber?
Ons and offs!
President of the CharlieSariel fanclub ^_^
A&A

Thufir Hawat

"We're the creatures that go bump in the night. And you came to our night. Learn fear, we enjoy its taste!
Your fear has a different one, almost makes me puke, but your pain tastes almost acceptable".

Did I get your idea right >:)?
And in case I did, is this going to be freeform or system ;D?
Join The System Gamers List
Request thread 1 Request thread 2
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs
"Love is a negative form of hatred." - Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

A&A thread!

GloomCookie

Quote from: ShamshielDF on September 21, 2011, 01:33:06 AM

Is that any good?  I want to read it but have books already on my list.
My DeviantArt

Ons and Offs Updated 9 October 2022

ShamshielDF

I really enjoyed it.  I'll admit, though, that I'm a huge David Weber fan, so I'm already kindly predisposed towards his work.  The reviews on Amazon gave the book a pan, though, so...your mileage may vary.  I liked it, I had fun with it, but I can understand why some people didn't care for it.

I just had to ask if this was based on that book as the intro post was almost an exact paraphrase of the back of the book.
Ons and offs!
A&A

Ex68471

Quote from: ShamshielDF on September 21, 2011, 01:33:06 AM

You caught me. The book gave me the idea, but I figured it could be a bit more interesting if it wasn't just the vampires that came out to protect their hunting grounds, but every creature of myth and legend. And yes, the paraphrase was a bit obvious to anyone who had read the book, or even the back cover of the book, but I liked the idea for an introduction.

But anyways, as I see it there are only two groups. Earthlings Vs. Aliens. I was thinking the players couild be either one of the creatures that goes bump in the night, or a human with a gun. It's possible that I will allow the aliens to be playable, but only the high ranking ones.

Any questions, comments, suggestions, criticism, or exclamations of interest?

I have horribly unreliable Internet. If I am on and suddenly am not, that is the most likely reason. Sorry! :D

ShamshielDF

Consider my interest piqued, then ^_^

Question from my Myrleena: "How deep into myth and legend are you wanting to go?"
Ons and offs!
A&A

Ex68471

Quote from: ShamshielDF on September 21, 2011, 11:22:15 AM
Consider my interest piqued, then ^_^

Question from my Myrleena: "How deep into myth and legend are you wanting to go?"

As deep as you feel necessary. Angels, demons, fey creatures, boogeymen, Sasquatches, go nuts. If it's too far out there, then I'll let you know. But I'm willing to let just about anything show up to bat for the home team.

Kristine

Hey there :)
It sounds really interesting.
And if you're going to allow other creatures from mythologies, maybe it is possible to allow for example some, vampire hunter, or monster slayer as well... And maybe she will have to work TOGETHER with her enemies of past this time

Phoenixrisen

This idea has caught my interest in a way I never thought an alien invasion RP would! XD

*wanders away to plot up a character*

That said, is there some basic sheet you want people to use or how are you handling that?
~A full heart has room for all things, an empty heart room for nothing.~
PM's and Discord messages always welcome.
New folks friendly.

Write a love story with me? Updated 3/30
Curious how to fan the flames?
Updated 9/21

Belisuavious

I read the short story version in Warriors, and I'm interested.

ShamshielDF

I'll have to consider a character at some length.  Usually I would jump all over a vampire charrie, but I'm already playing vampires in two other games.  I may still go for a vampire...who knows? ^_^
Ons and offs!
A&A

Ex68471

Quote from: Phoenixrisen on September 21, 2011, 09:23:27 PM
(...)is there some basic sheet you want people to use or how are you handling that?

Ah. This was simply an interest check, but now that interest has been expressed, I will post a character sheet soonish. As soon as I can get it typed up, that is. XD

Quote from: Kristine on September 21, 2011, 03:16:36 PMAnd if you're going to allow other creatures from mythologies, maybe it is possible to allow for example some, vampire hunter, or monster slayer as well... And maybe she will have to work TOGETHER with her enemies of past this time

Oh good lord. I hadn't even thought of that. Yes, that will definitely have to be allowed.

Quote from: Thufir Hawat on September 21, 2011, 02:18:47 AM
"We're the creatures that go bump in the night. And you came to our night. Learn fear, we enjoy its taste!
Your fear has a different one, almost makes me puke, but your pain tastes almost acceptable".

Did I get your idea right >:)?
And in case I did, is this going to be freeform or system ;D?

Yes, you got it. And this will be a freeform game.

Kristine

Oh, good :)
So, I will wait for your charsheet to appear :)

Ex68471

Alrighty, here goes.

NOTE: This may be revised later on, I will post to let you know if it has.

Name: There are some who call me... Whatever.

Species: Human, (Insert Mythic Creature Here), or (Insert Mythic Creature Here) Slayer. Note that creatures and slayers are subject to me saying "Oh hell naw."

Appearance: Pictures or text walls, your choice. If you transform somehow, please describe everything.

Sexual Orientation: Which way do you go?

Kinks and Fetishes: Gonna get freaky?

Items and Equipment: What do you have with you?

Skills and Abilities: Are you a god with a rifle? Are you super fast? Can you gobble up little aliens in one gulp?

Bio: Short and sweet, or long and in-depth. Also subject to my whims.

This entire template is also subject to my patented "Comment if you feel you can improve it" clause. :D

ShamshielDF

Question...what sort of vampires would you be looking for?  The ones in Out of the Dark weren't really well discussed, unfortunately.  There are plenty of other vampire mythos, but it's sort of up to you.  I can make due with any number of parameters, but I'm sort of liking the vampires in the Witchcraft game system at the moment. 

They don't feed on blood necessarily (though they can) but more on life essence, which they can gather via blood or anything that causes an intense emotional reaction they are the object of (ie terror, pleasure, fear, joy), thus can literally scare someone to death.  They have the usual stronger/faster/tougher than mortals and heal from most injury with little worry.  They can survive being in sunlight, but it depletes them quickly (ie. one hour of sunlight drains them the same amount of energy as would normally keep them going for a month), if they run out of energy they die and they are distracted/in pain enough to distract from tasks.  They can be active during the day, but they suffer the same energy drain even if they are underground or under cover, so generally sleep.

The main thing that I like is that they can feed on intense emotions, not just blood and can survive sunlight for brief periods, but are intensely weakened by it.  Some of the original vampire stories stated they were diminished by sunlight.  Then again, some of those stories also featured beautiful lesbian vampires, so who am I to argue?
Ons and offs!
A&A

Ex68471

Quote from: ShamshielDF on September 27, 2011, 12:52:43 AM
Question...what sort of vampires would you be looking for?  The ones in Out of the Dark weren't really well discussed, unfortunately.  There are plenty of other vampire mythos, but it's sort of up to you.  I can make due with any number of parameters, but I'm sort of liking the vampires in the Witchcraft game system at the moment. 

They don't feed on blood necessarily (though they can) but more on life essence, which they can gather via blood or anything that causes an intense emotional reaction they are the object of (ie terror, pleasure, fear, joy), thus can literally scare someone to death.  They have the usual stronger/faster/tougher than mortals and heal from most injury with little worry.  They can survive being in sunlight, but it depletes them quickly (ie. one hour of sunlight drains them the same amount of energy as would normally keep them going for a month), if they run out of energy they die and they are distracted/in pain enough to distract from tasks.  They can be active during the day, but they suffer the same energy drain even if they are underground or under cover, so generally sleep.

The main thing that I like is that they can feed on intense emotions, not just blood and can survive sunlight for brief periods, but are intensely weakened by it.  Some of the original vampire stories stated they were diminished by sunlight.  Then again, some of those stories also featured beautiful lesbian vampires, so who am I to argue?

Now this goes for anyone wanting to write up a vampire. Or for that matter, anything.

You can use whatever mythos you like, as long as you can describe it as well as this OR provide a link to somewhere that does. However, once a mythos has been used, in this case the Witchcraft game system, no one else can use it for that monster again. If you can find one that is functionally similar, more power to you. And you can use the same mythos for another monster, like say werewolves.

I would also like to take this opportunity to say I know nothing of the Witchcraft system, so if I made any erroneous comments about it I apologize.

ShamshielDF

Ah, so you could have, say, a D&D, oWoD, nWoD, Witchcraft, Shadowrun, KotE, Asian, Philippine and any number of other flavors of vampires you can think of, in the same game?
Ons and offs!
A&A

Ex68471

Quote from: ShamshielDF on September 27, 2011, 10:36:05 AM
Ah, so you could have, say, a D&D, oWoD, nWoD, Witchcraft, Shadowrun, KotE, Asian, Philippine and any number of other flavors of vampires you can think of, in the same game?

I think if we get nothing but vampires I might put a stopper on it, but yeah. Pretty much.

ShamshielDF

That would feel a bit...odd to me, you know?  Having two or three completely different breeds of vampire running around.  I understand why you would want to keep it open, but it also has a lot of genre-breaky potential.
Ons and offs!
A&A

Ex68471

Quote from: ShamshielDF on September 27, 2011, 11:17:16 PM
That would feel a bit...odd to me, you know?  Having two or three completely different breeds of vampire running around.  I understand why you would want to keep it open, but it also has a lot of genre-breaky potential.

But there are many breeds of dogs and cats. Or, to keep it in the territory of the supernatural, there is the Bigfoot, the Sasquatch, the Yeti, and the Skunk Ape. They are commonly believed to be different breeds of the same creature. Why wouldn't there be different flavors of vampires as well?

ShamshielDF

Yes, but that's sort of apples and oranges.  While there are hundreds of breeds of dogs, all of them eat the same thing, have the same biology, generally the same strengths and weaknesses.  While there is a lot of variety to color and size, and some variation to some breeds (labradors have webbed toes and slightly different fur for swimming in cold water, for example).

On the other hand, oWoD vampires take hellacious damage from direct sunlight, WitchCraft vampires lose essence, but this generally means their fine for about an hour, and Twilight vampires *shudder* sparkle.  In oWoD, vampires lived on blood and with age slowly lost the ability to live off of animal or even human blood eventually.  WitchCraft vampires can feed on blood or intense emotions, sort of crossing between traditional vampires and psychic vampires.  Twilight vampires I think fed on rainbows, glitter and teenage angst...never read the books so I really can't say.  Within oWoD there were 13 primary flavors of vampire and goddess only knows how many sub-varieties, but they all had many aspects in common.  Witchcraft there is only one, but there is a lot of variety withing that based on some of the options you can choose.  Twilight vampires come in variety of sparkletastic options, mostly glittering pastels.  Honestly, I think they were red caps with issues.

So...sort of an apples and oranges point.
Ons and offs!
A&A

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: Ex68471 on September 22, 2011, 11:18:32 AM
Yes, you got it. And this will be a freeform game.
I must apologize,  forgot to reply to this, which wasn't really polite of me ;D!

So, the premise sounds interesting, and I wish you to have fun with it.
Of course, freeform means I'm not going to participate ;).
Join The System Gamers List
Request thread 1 Request thread 2
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs
"Love is a negative form of hatred." - Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

A&A thread!

LateNightKiss

I'm definitely interested in this concept. The idea has so many possibilities and I already have a character brewing in my mind.

Should I post the charsheet here?
To be matter-of-fact about the world is to blunder into fantasy - and dull fantasy at that, as the real world is strange and wonderful.