[DM Request] D&D 5th Edition

Started by Rajah, September 13, 2014, 06:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rajah

5th edition is out, some basic rules clarifications are out, there's (admittedly subpar) adventure paths, there's enough spoilered monsters to start making your own and create your own stories, there's all kinds of stuff. Perhaps best of all for PBP purposes is that D&D has formally jettisoned the necessity of a battlegrid in favor of its new "theatre of the mind" approach; not that most people didn't do this anyway, but it's nice to see the designers acknowledge it and provide some conceptual support for running wholly boardless gameplay.

So! Does anyone want to run it?  :P
"They say even the proudest spirits can be broken...with love."

-The Beldame (CORALINE by Neil Gaiman)

Florence

I wouldn't have the time or experience to run it, but I've been eager to try playing a game of 5e since it came out.
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

AndyZ

It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Inkidu

I'd actually be interested in DMing this, but I don't really know how to do it online. Also, are you just interested in a game, or do you have a setting in mind.

EDIT: I shouldn't post before I had my morning coffee. I realize my statement might seem maddeningly unhelpful. What I mean is if I can get some tools to use and some methods for playing online, I've got the quickstart guide and the Player's handbook. I just need some help running one online. XD
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Rajah

Quote from: Inkidu on September 14, 2014, 06:32:03 AM
I'd actually be interested in DMing this, but I don't really know how to do it online. Also, are you just interested in a game, or do you have a setting in mind.

EDIT: I shouldn't post before I had my morning coffee. I realize my statement might seem maddeningly unhelpful. What I mean is if I can get some tools to use and some methods for playing online, I've got the quickstart guide and the Player's handbook. I just need some help running one online. XD

Awesome! Well, the usual method here would be to throw up a recruitment thread with whatever you're looking for in applicants: some people want backstory and outline, some people want sheets, some people want writing samples, some people want a mix, et cetera. That'll give you a pool of people who want to play to select from, which you can do by setting a "recruitment's over" date or first come first accepted or whatever. I'd recommend against letting recruitment run longer than a week because the #1 most precious commodity in online gaming, bar none, is momentum.

Once you have players selected, you throw up an OOC thread for communication in the relevant part of the site (because this is Elliquiy, those sections are arranged according to potential sexual activity; I recommend throwing everything ever in small groups exotic just in case someone really really really really really really insists on having sex with something you're not normally supposed to have sex with.) and then an IC thread - again, probably want end of recruitment -> start of game be under a week - and then there you go, play begins. If the game gets big and complicated enough you can make other threads, I think the rule is you're allowed as many total threads as you have player, so if you wanted say a setting/houserule compilation thread separate from the OOC that's a thing.

Elliquiy has its own dice roller, which is pretty functional, so the only things you really need are a pitch (setting and game hook: up to you! one of the traditionals, your own homebrew world, go wild) and an application format, and to set basics like starting level / point-buy or array / et cetera. You can look at a few of the existing system game recruitment threads to see how they're handling that kinda stuff.

Inkidu

No I meant how do I do maps and that kind of stuff online?  Though that's a lot of good info.

I do actually have a homebrew setting here on the sight and I am thinking of converting it from 3.5 to 5th, but that'd take months (and the core books) to do properly so if you guys are willing work with some slipshod stuff I can probably get most of the setting stuff converted over pretty easily (if not the mechanics).

Check it out:

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=143835.msg6476878#msg6476878

EDIT: I'm thinking I avoid some of the more homebrewy elments for now and just use the setting.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Rajah

Quote from: Inkidu on September 14, 2014, 02:35:17 PM
No I meant how do I do maps and that kind of stuff online?  Though that's a lot of good info.

Ah! Well, there's a lot of tools that'll come up if you search "RPG mapping" - there's a pretty solid compilation here - that almost all involve a lot of uploading to Imgur and then posting as things change. However, in 5th Edition using a grid has actually become a variant rule rather than a default rule; the default style (which is more PBP friendly in terms of workload on your part) is that you just declare how far away things are and adjudicate from there, using notes rather than a map per se.

If you mean like WORLD maps, some of the stuff in that compilation will work, or you could do a search for mapmaking software in general.

QuoteI do actually have a homebrew setting here on the sight and I am thinking of converting it from 3.5 to 5th, but that'd take months (and the core books) to do properly so if you guys are willing work with some slipshod stuff I can probably get most of the setting stuff converted over pretty easily (if not the mechanics).

Check it out:

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=143835.msg6476878#msg6476878

EDIT: I'm thinking I avoid some of the more homebrewy elments for now and just use the setting.

I'd probably recommend just going with the setting for now, and you can convert stuff into mechanics as it comes up. There's a bunch of gish archetypes (Eldritch Knight fighters obviously, but also College of Valor bards - maybe more appropriate for elves - and Pact of the Blade warlocks) who could serve as duskblades, for instance. The setting itself looks pretty good. I like the entire of an entire winter world.

Inkidu

Quote from: Rajah on September 14, 2014, 03:20:34 PM
Ah! Well, there's a lot of tools that'll come up if you search "RPG mapping" - there's a pretty solid compilation here - that almost all involve a lot of uploading to Imgur and then posting as things change. However, in 5th Edition using a grid has actually become a variant rule rather than a default rule; the default style (which is more PBP friendly in terms of workload on your part) is that you just declare how far away things are and adjudicate from there, using notes rather than a map per se.

If you mean like WORLD maps, some of the stuff in that compilation will work, or you could do a search for mapmaking software in general.

I'd probably recommend just going with the setting for now, and you can convert stuff into mechanics as it comes up. There's a bunch of gish archetypes (Eldritch Knight fighters obviously, but also College of Valor bards - maybe more appropriate for elves - and Pact of the Blade warlocks) who could serve as duskblades, for instance. The setting itself looks pretty good. I like the entire of an entire winter world.

Oh so would you think it was cool if I just gave room dimensions as appropriate and we kind of wing it instead of using any kind of grid?

EDIT: Well regardless, I will spending the next couple of days setting up the request thread and collecting/changing my notes.

Rajah

Quote from: Inkidu on September 14, 2014, 03:26:27 PM
Oh so would you think it was cool if I just gave room dimensions as appropriate and we kind of wing it instead of using any kind of grid?

Yeah, I'd say that sounds perfect.

AndyZ

Using a grid isn't really all that necessary, I'd say.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Inkidu

Cool like I said it'll take me a bit to get things together, but the request thread should be up tomorrow at the latest. I need to re-skim the Player's Handbook, I'm not quite sure how the "Spot" check works in 5th ed yet.

AndyZ

Spot and Listen have been combined into Perception.

Inkidu

Quote from: AndyZ on September 14, 2014, 04:08:44 PM
Spot and Listen have been combined into Perception.
Ah and the DM still calls for a perception check? Is that it?

AndyZ

Correct.  Instead of skill ranks, you have skills that get a proficiency bonus, which starts at +2 but increases at higher levels.  It's not that dissimilar from SAGA in some ways.

Inkidu

Quote from: AndyZ on September 14, 2014, 04:20:57 PM
Correct.  Instead of skill ranks, you have skills that get a proficiency bonus, which starts at +2 but increases at higher levels.  It's not that dissimilar from SAGA in some ways.
Though to expedite the game for the players I might roll all passive perception checks (what they seem to call spot check now) behind the curtain.

Plus it's so much fun when you people don't know. >:]

AndyZ

Passive Perception is actually just what you'd get if you took 10 on a Perception check.  It's another way to not have to roll it at all, pretty much for the reason you're thinking.

Rajah

Passive checks actually aren't rolled at all - they're basically taking 10 from earlier editions, which you're assumed to be doing all the time. Thus you have a passive Perception, Insight, and Investigation of 10 + your total modifier (+5 or -5 for advantage or disadvantage, which comes up a lot with lighting) and that's generally what the DM uses. Thus it's behind the curtain by default.

Rolling is normally a player initiative (IE, actively searching for something hidden or suspecting deception).

Inkidu

Quote from: AndyZ on September 14, 2014, 04:28:17 PM
Passive Perception is actually just what you'd get if you took 10 on a Perception check.  It's another way to not have to roll it at all, pretty much for the reason you're thinking.
Ah, I'm sure I'll have it all ironed out by the time the request thread is up.

EDIT: Slight snag, Mythweavers does not have the 5th ed character sheets up yet. No problem really, I have the one (and print offs) that came came with the quickstart guide. I might have to make people download the quickstart guide to at least have a point of reference.

Florence

Quote from: Inkidu on September 14, 2014, 04:32:20 PM
Ah, I'm sure I'll have it all ironed out by the time the request thread is up.

EDIT: Slight snag, Mythweavers does not have the 5th ed character sheets up yet. No problem really, I have the one (and print offs) that came came with the quickstart guide. I might have to make people download the quickstart guide to at least have a point of reference.

O_o Yes it does. I've played around with it myself. They might only have it on their new sheet system, which I believe they plan on phasing out the old one in favor of anyway, so it doesn't hurt to get used to. xD
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

Inkidu

I found it, and I just finished this too:

Personal Information

Player Name:
Character Name:
Race:
Hair Color:
Skin Color:
Height:
Weight:
Appearance: (no anime please) and/or description]

History Information

Background:
Alignment:
Personality Traits:
Ideals:
Bonds:
Flaws:
Allies:
Organizations:
Backstory:

Attributes & Vitals

Attributes:
Strength-
Dexterity-
Constitution-
Intelligence-
Wisdom-
Charisma-

Saving Throws:

( ) Str.-
( ) Dex.-
( ) Con.-
( ) Int.-
( ) Wis.-
( ) Cha.-

HP (Current/Max):
Temporary HP:
Hit Dice:
Armor Class:
Initiative:
Speed:
Passive Wisdom (perception):

Death Saves:
Saves-
Fails-

Attacks & Spellcasting

Name/Attack Bonus/Damage-Type
--
--
--

Skills

Skills:

( ) Acrobatics (Dex)-
( ) Animal Handling (Wis)-
( ) Arcana (Int)-
( ) Athletics (Str)-
( ) Deception (Cha)-
( ) History (Int)-
( ) Insight (Wis)-
( ) Intimidation (Cha)-
( ) Investigation (Int)-
( ) Medicine (Wis)-
( ) Nature (Int)-
( ) Perception (Wis)-
( ) Performance (Cha)-
( ) Persuasion (Cha)-
( ) Religion (Int)-
( ) Slight of Hand (Dex)-
( ) Stealth (Dex)-
( ) Survival (Wis-

Other Proficiencies & Languages

Other Proficiencies:
Languages:

Traits

--
--
--

Equipment, Money, & Treasure

Equipment:
--
Money:

CP-
SP-
GP-
PP-

Treasure:
--
--

Spells & Magic

Spellcasting Class:
Spellcasting Ability:
Spell Save DC:
Spell Attack Bonus:

Spell Levels & Slots

(Level/Slot total/Slots Used)

0 Cantrips
--
1 (X/X)
--
2 (X/X)
--
3 (X/X)
--
4 (X/X)
--
5 (X/X)
--
6 (X/X)
--
7 (X/X)
--
8 (X/X)
--
9 (X/X)
--

I don't know if I like the 5e on Mythweaver though. :|

It's a bit of a mess, and it doesn't show up on the quick select for creating a new sheet yet. One of the menus stops at 4ed.

Laughing Hyena

I wouldn't mind playing a PC in this game.

Inkidu