Dark Heresy: Interest Check

Started by ShadowFox89, October 31, 2014, 02:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muse

Hm?  Oh, I'm very much interested as a player. 

Honestly, I should be able to do a GM rotation so long as you don't want me first or second in line. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

TheGlyphstone

If we're going to make this work, taking a slot in the GM rotation will be required to be a player. Not fair to the rest of us otherwise.

Roster of interested Player-GMs so far:
Shadowfox89
TheGlyphstone
Muse
Jaded?
Beorning?

HairyHeretic

I've GMed in the past, willing to do so again. Only 1st ed though, haven't tried 2nd yet.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Muse

ditto, I have no knowledge of second edition. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Pumpkin Seeds

Pockets

Drops an interest marker for playing, not necessarily DMing at this point.
08/02 - New A/A Update

Baalborn87

As I said before. I'm totally up to player-GM. Will it be a different game (DH2, BC, OW, RT) per GM? But in the same star system. I have 4 (maby more) Fantasy flight adventures for Rogue trader. 2 (or 6 if you count the ones available in the fluff books) for Black Crusade. 2 for Only War and about 9+ for Dark Heresy (though they were written for 1st Ed they shouldn't be a problem converting them.)

TheGlyphstone

I'm more familiar with DH1e myself - I'm not a fan of aptitudes from Only War, really - so we can definitely adopt that as the one standard.

Quote from: Baalborn87 on December 19, 2014, 11:28:14 AM
As I said before. I'm totally up to player-GM. Will it be a different game (DH2, BC, OW, RT) per GM? But in the same star system. I have 4 (maby more) Fantasy flight adventures for Rogue trader. 2 (or 6 if you count the ones available in the fluff books) for Black Crusade. 2 for Only War and about 9+ for Dark Heresy (though they were written for 1st Ed they shouldn't be a problem converting them.)

Nope - everyone in one game system, in this case DH. We all have a character, who's off busy doing something else during our rotation 'turn'. DH is the simplest to make short story arcs for, and I think has the most published pre-written material available.

TheGlyphstone

Roster of interested Player-GMs so far:
Shadowfox89
TheGlyphstone
Muse
Jaded?
Beorning?
Baalborn87
HairyHeretic
PumpkinSeeds

That's 8 people, so a group of 7 PCs if everyone is in attendance every game. That is a lot, and it's definitely as many as we probably want to work with at this point. So I guess our interest is [Full].

Should we start up a new thread in OOC somewhere to work out a rotation and standardize character creation?

HairyHeretic

Going to toss up another idea.

Dark Heresy mumble based game. Think we could find 2-3 hours somewhere in the week where we're all available? I'm in the GMT timezone, but I've run a group before where most of the players were US based (playing L5R)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

ShadowFox89

Can't really do that as I don't have a set schedule in my week.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

HairyHeretic

That makes it a lot trickier, I will admit.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Muse

WHat section should we put this in? 

I normaly avoid extreme, but that might fit some of the sexual content that could come up in the seting. 

(Might be too much for some players--sometimes inlcuding myself.  I'd far prefer NCES)

TheGlyphstone

I'd gravitate towards Extreme myself - not just for the potential sexual content, but all the other gore and slime and nastiness that a team of acolytes are likely to find themselves immersed in. We can certainly tone it down and go into NCES, but it wouldn't feel as authentic to, say, fight a Nurgle cult without nauseatingly detailed descriptions of their horrid diseased forms, or battle Khorne-worshippers and not mention them being covered in blood.

Baalborn87

Plus. You can never trust a Slaaneshi cultist.

HairyHeretic

NC seems fine to me. Yes, the 40k universe is horribly dark, but if you look at the novels we have, it doesn't have to be an all out gorefest to capture the feel of the setting.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

TheGlyphstone

Fair enough. I'd prefer Extreme, but I'm happy with NC, and it needs to be as close to unanimous as we can get - though there is the consideration that different 'arcs' might flip between sections depending on the content of that particular pregenerated adventure. But NC as the place for our general OOC thread across the entire metacampaign is acceptable.

Beorning

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on December 19, 2014, 03:23:08 AM
If we're going to make this work, taking a slot in the GM rotation will be required to be a player. Not fair to the rest of us otherwise.

Hmmm. You know, I'm really not sure if I'm a good enough to GM...  :-(

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Beorning on December 19, 2014, 04:34:02 PM

That's why you'll probably be down at the end of the rotation. By the time we get around to you, you'll have seen enough and participated in enough that you should be fine following the script of a pre-packaged adventure.

Everyone needs to start somewhere. With this sort of setup, you get the advantage that every one of your players has or will have GM experience, so they'll know how to make your end as smooth as possible.

HairyHeretic

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on December 19, 2014, 04:31:09 PM
Fair enough. I'd prefer Extreme, but I'm happy with NC, and it needs to be as close to unanimous as we can get - though there is the consideration that different 'arcs' might flip between sections depending on the content of that particular pregenerated adventure. But NC as the place for our general OOC thread across the entire metacampaign is acceptable.

Well, there's always the option of moving a thread if the story warrants it. It's not like we're absolutely locked in to a single board.

Quote from: Beorning on December 19, 2014, 04:34:02 PM

Dude, no one ever is when they start. We learn to be better GMs by GMing. Every GM makes mistakes, but as long as the players are enjoying themselves, then it's all good :)

Here, go read this

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=88480.msg3875974#msg3875974

and see if it helps any :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Beorning

Thanks for advice... That'll be useful.

Although I do fear that I'll have trouble committing for such a massive project as a game with multiple players. GMing something like that might take a lot of time... And I get overwhelmed easily. The last game I GMed I dropped - and it was a solo game in a setting I really knew well...

HairyHeretic

So, we give it a try. If it works, it works. If it doesn't .. well, in all my time on here I've had exactly 1 story manage to come to a proper end :P

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Pumpkin Seeds

Honestly, even if you drop it there is another GM to pick up the game so long as you have notes or at least a general direction.  The only problem I foresee here is time and if one GM wants to create a long, overarching plot.  In which case that GM just breaks up their plot into smaller "episodes" where the characters periodically run into their villains and such. 

Also, I think we should develop a couple of Inquisitors that manage this group of hapless heroes.  Perhaps a brother-sister Inquisitor team that has decided to pool their minions together for mutual use.  Could also be a smaller system or area where there are not a lot of potential candidates for acolytes to use so this group gets tapped by various Inquisitors to perform their tasks.

HairyHeretic

It's being run as an experiment on the part of the local Conclave.

While every Inquisitor has their own pool of trusted retainers, sometimes losses break that connection. Usually it's down to the death of the acolyte, but what happens when it's the Inquisitor for whom duty has ended? The acolytes could be liquidated, but they represent a pool of time, training and talent .. better to see if they can be re-used by the Conclave as a whole, and in time they mind find permanent service with another Inquisitor.

For the time being, they are effectively ronin.

Cattle die, kinsmen die