Doomsday Is Here What are you're plans?

Started by despickable, December 20, 2012, 07:55:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lithos

Aye apophis is small pebble compared to for example what wiped out the dinosaurs but effects would definitely be global either way. We will know better what to expect after next pass. By current more refined data though it seems that it will be a miss from the keyhole.

Here is current collection of data on this rock:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/99942_Apophis
There is no innocence, only layers upon layers of guilt
--
Wiki | O&O | A&A | Game Search

Devil's Advocate

Quote from: Moraline on December 22, 2012, 08:59:34 AM
Asteroid, Apophis (click for wiki), To Hit Earth In 2036! (about 23 1/2 years from now.)

We'll get a really good look at it on Friday, April 13th, 2029 - It will dip below our orbiting satellites but just pass by us. Apophis is the size of the Rosebowl (a football stadium.) They will be able to determine at this time (maybe) if it is moved off course enough that when it passes again in 2036 if it'll hit us.

If it hits on 2036, it will hit off the pacific coast of the US and cause a 3 mile deep by 3 mile wide hole in the ocean floor. This will cause a massive series of tsunamis that will move at enormous speeds to obliterate the West Coast of North America and many island nations in the pacific (it isn't predicted to cause the same devastation in Asia or Australia regions (because of the distance.)
The Young Turks (news report)
Neil DeGrasse Tyson - Death By Giant Meteor

For those that don't watch the vids - The chances of it striking are incredibly low, and we'll see it coming for several years before it hits. Plenty of time to evacuate areas that might be affected.

Evacuation would not be the issue.  Changes to the environment would be.  But by that time my kids will be grown and I'll probably not mind if I'm not around.  :)
O/o's

A/a's

The trouble with resisting temptation is that is may never come again!

NiceTexasGuy

I'm still not clear on this.  It looks like "We can't predict the path accurately enough to know if it's going to hit the Earth or not, but we can predict the path accurately enough to know it will hit off the coast of California."

Not that any of it matters ... my calender ends on 31 December of 2013.
What a shame -- The money you spent on those tattoos could have gone toward a boob job.
===
My Ons and Offs:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=97303.0
==============
I have taken The Oath of Don't Waste My Friggin' Time

Lithos

We know very precisely what position of its rotation earth will be at the pass days, we know the pass time down to seconds from even basic newtonian physics, but there is always uncertainty on whether the orbit plane will be towards earth or not. the trajectories landing it on earth can have surprisingly small range so it indeed is possible to be uncertain of whether it will it yet rather certain where it would hit.

To define orbit we need to have very precise measurements from as many points in the asteroids orbit as possible, and after that need to calculate effects of other bodies it is affected by (earth, moon, sun, possibly other planets) so it all makes predictions yet a bit more complicated. The corridor we know it must travel if / when it hits the earth is rather small so the location where it will hit if it hits really is much easier to say than if it is going to hit at all.
There is no innocence, only layers upon layers of guilt
--
Wiki | O&O | A&A | Game Search

Spero

I just kind of chilled at home with my friends. You know so if something did go down we would all be together >.>

RP Status: Seeking New Roleplays // Muse Status: Active and Around // Mood Status: Hopeful
CRAVING!: Dark Fantasy & Warhammer 40k Roleplay! Please PM if you want to RP~

Funguy81

NotoriusBEN

got a hangover that friday

Ill see you all back here for Apophis in 2029.

Brandon

I was going to go to a party but I got stuck behind four horsemen in traffic. God they were slow  :D
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Brandon on January 06, 2013, 02:53:20 AM
I was going to go to a party but I got stuck behind four horsemen in traffic. God they were slow  :D

I was driving across three states. I think, stop at Waffle House aside, it took five hours and change to cover the 420 miles. 

Oniya

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on January 06, 2013, 08:12:50 AM
I was driving across three states. I think, stop at Waffle House aside, it took five hours and change to cover the 420 miles.

If the Waffle House is open, it can't be an apocalypse.  Those places stay open through everything!
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Oniya on January 06, 2013, 11:36:15 AM
If the Waffle House is open, it can't be an apocalypse.  Those places stay open through everything!

Yeah.. well they have to feed the yuppies after the bombs drop since Twinkies are gone.