News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabby

I gave it a few hours... It was pretty brain numbing.

Wolfy

Hemingway

KoA, huh?

*Gets the dead-horse-beating-stick.*

I finally got my hands on Heavy Rain. I don't know when I'll have time to play it, what with finals coming up, but .. I usually find a way, so...

Inkidu

I've found a pretty bad flaw in the Witcher 2. The new potion's system is kind of a backpedal from the first. In the first you could assign potions to quick slots and take them when you needed them. Now you can only take them out of combat. This wouldn't be so bad if dialogue didn't eat up the time on the potion. So even if you imbibe before you head in you might not have any effect left afterward. Why can't you still quick slot potions?
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Sabby

Oooh, Stalker 2 got cancelled in favour of a F2P MMO. This is guna be fun to watch :3 Internet is guna be like a fucking quarry in a Power Rangers team up.

Inkidu

If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Sabby

You don't watch a whole lot of Power Rangers, do you? x3 I'm saying shits guna go down, and it's guna be loud and pointless.

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on May 02, 2012, 03:44:15 PM
I've found a pretty bad flaw in the Witcher 2. The new potion's system is kind of a backpedal from the first. In the first you could assign potions to quick slots and take them when you needed them. Now you can only take them out of combat. This wouldn't be so bad if dialogue didn't eat up the time on the potion. So even if you imbibe before you head in you might not have any effect left afterward. Why can't you still quick slot potions?

The biggest problem isn't that dialogue takes time out of your potions. The most annoying thing is when you're in a situation where you want to use a potion, but can't. But, hey, c'est la vie. I actually like the system. It's much more ... immersive.

Sabby

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on May 02, 2012, 05:49:45 PM
The biggest problem isn't that dialogue takes time out of your potions. The most annoying thing is when you're in a situation where you want to use a potion, but can't. But, hey, c'est la vie. I actually like the system. It's much more ... immersive.
I don't know, it's more challenging, but sometimes you've got to pop something. White Rafford's Decoction used to be a highly toxic blast of instant health, but now it's barely better than Swallow with some pretty nasty negs.

Bayushi

Hemingway

Oh god. I just saw the trailer for Black Ops 2. It looks ... terrible. Which shouldn't surprise me in the least, I guess. Modern Warfare was awesome. MW2 was better in many ways, but worse in just as many. Black Ops was a bad game, with a good setting. MW3 was just ... a really bad game. In many ways it felt more primitive than MW2. I have no idea how they pulled that off. But I think I'm done with CoD now.

Wolfy

Quote from: Hemingway on May 03, 2012, 05:27:29 AM
Oh god. I just saw the trailer for Black Ops 2. It looks ... terrible. Which shouldn't surprise me in the least, I guess. Modern Warfare was awesome. MW2 was better in many ways, but worse in just as many. Black Ops was a bad game, with a good setting. MW3 was just ... a really bad game. In many ways it felt more primitive than MW2. I have no idea how they pulled that off. But I think I'm done with CoD now.

And yet every male age 12-40 will pick it up regardless, simply because it's CoD.

Sabby

Quote from: Akiko on May 02, 2012, 10:10:49 PM
Careful Sabby, your elitism is showing.

I was referring to the PR guy drawling in circles for 3 minutes. This is why all my news comes from Inside Gaming.

Hemingway

Quote from: Wolfy on May 03, 2012, 06:52:05 AM
And yet every male age 12-40 will pick it up regardless, simply because it's CoD.

I'm a male in that age group, and I promise I'll try my very hardest not to buy it.

I'm worried I'll have to get Medal of Honor: Warfighter just on general principle, though. Which may or may not be a bad thing. I actually liked the last Medal of Honor. Its main flaw was that it was ridiculously short. I know it was basically a Modern Warfare clone, but it at least tried to be more realistic and authentic, which I can respect. Hopefully they'll have learned something in the sequel.

Sabby

Eh, gamings fascination with 'realism' is kind of strange... if I want realistic shoot outs, I can go get a gun and shoot enough people to be shot back at. That's realistic, but it's not fun! Gaming is supposed to be fun, so naturally, making a game 'realistic' and 'fun' at the same time requires a bit of a balancing act, and taking liberties here and there. But people get so riled up over the games they'll pick up on the liberties taken and claim the whole game is unrealistic.

...do you want it to be? :/ I know I don't. The realism for me extends to just how authentically a shotgun blast fucks a guys face. I'm pretty content with letting my own abundance of bullet resistant skin slide. The alternative is reloading your game every time you get randomly clipped by one of the 16 billion bullets flying in all directions.

Hemingway

Quote from: Sabby on May 03, 2012, 08:43:54 AM
Eh, gamings fascination with 'realism' is kind of strange... if I want realistic shoot outs, I can go get a gun and shoot enough people to be shot back at. That's realistic, but it's not fun! Gaming is supposed to be fun, so naturally, making a game 'realistic' and 'fun' at the same time requires a bit of a balancing act, and taking liberties here and there. But people get so riled up over the games they'll pick up on the liberties taken and claim the whole game is unrealistic.

...do you want it to be? :/ I know I don't. The realism for me extends to just how authentically a shotgun blast fucks a guys face. I'm pretty content with letting my own abundance of bullet resistant skin slide. The alternative is reloading your game every time you get randomly clipped by one of the 16 billion bullets flying in all directions.

I don't mean "realism" in the sense that ARMA 2 is realistic. I mean that it feels authentic and believable, in a sort of Hollywood way. It's not over-the-top Jack Bauer world where you DO WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE, WHAT OTHERS CANNOT DO. THEY WEREN'T THERE MAN, THEY WEREN'T THERE. Black Ops was ridiculous like that. I don't know why having a QTE where you smash a window, stick glass shards in a guy's mouth and punch him repeatedly in the jaw is more offensive to me than, say, the No Russian mission in MW2, but I think it's because it's just stupid.

Anyway. I've decided I'm getting Risen 2. My go-to site for gaming reviews gave it a 6/10, basically saying it's flawed but somehow really enjoyable. So sort of like every game ever made by Pirhana Bytes.

Brandon

Quote from: Sabby on May 03, 2012, 08:05:12 AM
I was referring to the PR guy drawling in circles for 3 minutes. This is why all my news comes from Inside Gaming.

To be fair, a lot of developers have to do that in order to keep their jobs. People get fired for letting the slightest, non-confirmed but going to be in the game anyway, thing slip. I blame that kind of thing

Anyway, KoA. Its interesting, I like that the game feels so smooth and crisp. A lot of games lack that feeling but its a lot like playing the original god of war in the sense that it feels right. If that makes any sense. However the setting thus far is a bit odd, I mean I like variety and KoA is certainly different so thats a good thing but you can really tell it was written by a regular writer, not one familiar with video games. Theres so much narration thats not really needed because we can see and experience the world around us, unlike books where we need the extra writing to portray more subtle elements. The writing isnt bad, per say, it just forms an experience that feels...slightly off, for lack of a better word
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Wolfy

LEGEND OF DRAGOON

.......Because it is Awesome.

Even Sabby can't deny.

Sabby

Only if you mispelled Panzer Dragoon :P

Wolfy

Quote from: Sabby on May 03, 2012, 10:10:13 PM
Only if you mispelled Panzer Dragoon :P

Cleary Sabby is one of those snooty types who only likes high-brow games.

Oniya

Quote from: Wolfy on May 03, 2012, 09:58:41 PM
LEGEND OF DRAGOON

.......Because it is Awesome.

Even Sabby can't deny.

I really liked that one too.  Mostly for Rose and Haschel's commentary.  (Although the idea of a 'Rouge' school of martial arts always struck me as a misspelling.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Hemingway

So, Risen 2 is pretty good, if you're a fan of Gothic 1, 2, 3, or Risen. It has more or less all the problems of those games, and all the good parts too. Combat is an improvement over Risen, so I don't understand the complaints. It gets more interesting as you level up, because there's tons of moves you can use in combat, like kicking enemies, shooting them in the face, throwing sand in their eyes, and so on. I really don't know what to say beyond that. It's not a game that's going to have any sort of major mainstream appeal, but if you're a fan, it's definitely a game that's worth getting.

Wolfy

So, they've just recently announced that Bethesda is working on an Elder Scroll MMO set 1000 years before Skyrim.

You here that?

That's the sound of Sabby's Damnation. :D

Sabby

Why would I care enough about that enough to be angry? o.O I don't like MMO's and I'm not exactly familiar with Elder Scrolls lore, so nothing I'd actually like is being messed with.