Chinese Scientists Genetically Engineer cows to produce Human Breast Milk.

Started by Wolfy, June 09, 2011, 05:40:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabby

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Sabby

And now it won't, because we can get it from a cow. Same as if we built streets in gold... gold would suddenly cost about as much as concrete.

SinfulBliss

Trieste

Assuming their claims that it's identical to human breast milk are true, and assuming that the milk is produced in such a way that the same crud doesn't get into it as gets into mass-produced cow's milk, it could be pretty darn useful. After all, some women aren't able to produce enough milk for their newborns, and some women find it inconvenient to nurse. Synthetic breast milk means that the children of those mothers can still benefit from breast milk. Too, it gives mothers more freedom to do what's healthy for their babies without offending any sensibilities by (*gasp*) baring their breasts in public.

Lilias

There have been women who couldn't or wouldn't nurse since the beginning of time. Before the days of formula, such women simply hired wet-nurses. Perhaps reviving the profession would ultimately cost less than developing a whole new technology to synthesise what we can still get naturally.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Trieste

The technology has already been developed; the cost has already been spent. It's probable, also, that it'll be less expensive to buy the commodity as opposed to a whole person's service. And, I can't imagine that there aren't mothers out there who don't want to see their child nursing at another woman's breast.

Lilias

Life conditions have already made the 'breast' part impractical, for the mother or another woman. There are plenty of breast milk banks, though, and I believe they should be encouraged. After all, milk is not like blood - it can be extracted regularly and sold without peril to the donor. (Bit of light reading.)
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Avis habilis

The FDA has concerns about what might be getting passed to the drinker, though. There was a story on NPR a while back about using social networks to connect milk donors with women who can't nurse. The upshot was that a lot of people find sanctioned milk banks way too expensive to use.

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Wolfy

Guys, guys...you're missing something here.

if we can do this....what else can we do? :D

Could we, for example, reverse this process and genetically engineer a human that produces cow milk? O_o

Lilias

Quote from: Wolfy on June 10, 2011, 12:16:12 PM

We can think of that once it is decided if we can do this :D
~Wendell Berry

Wolfy

Quote from: Lilias on June 10, 2011, 12:18:16 PM
We can think of that once it is decided if we can do this :D

It's already been done.

There are now a herd of 300 cows that produce Human breast milk.

o3o

Lilias

It's a long way from the lab to the shelves, hence the three years. If it can't be turned into a viable large-scale venture, or can't be proven to be safe, it will remain another interesting experiment. We can only wait now.
~Wendell Berry

Oniya

Quote from: Wolfy on June 10, 2011, 12:16:12 PM
Guys, guys...you're missing something here.

Could we, for example, reverse this process and genetically engineer a human that produces cow milk? O_o

I seem to remember that they've made goats that produce spider silk...

Wolfy

Think about it...Human Modification...o3o..Science fiction for now, but some day...;D

Oniya

Oh, and they were using bacteria to produce human insulin back in the 80's, until the new synthetic insulins started coming out.

Trieste

Oniya

Fae Brin

woops-- I didn't even check. -blush- Thank you Oniya..

I used to think that only certain kinds of genes could mix-- like how dogs can cross breed and plants can cross and etc.

And if two sets of genes that were too different mixed then the fetus would deteriorate or something sci-fi -esque like that.

Too many comic books? mebbe...
The idea hovered and shivered delicately, like a soap bubble, and she dared not even look at it directly in case it burst. 
But she was familiar with the way of ideas, and she let it
shimmer, looking away, thinking about something else.
and a subtle fear [capture d] my  h  e  a  r  t.
already [wet] and we're gonna go s w i m ming

ReanimateMagnus

Oniya

With genetic engineering, the scientists aren't putting an entire chromosome into the other species, just a relatively short sequence of genes that produce a protein.  (milk, insulin, hGH, and spider silk are all produced from proteins) The tech isn't exactly new - it started back in the 80's, although this particular application is probably a bit more titillating than the others.  (pun intended.)

Fae Brin

Not even chocolate milk? ice cream? cream cheese?

I just like to let my imagination run a little when I think of genetics I guess... :P
The idea hovered and shivered delicately, like a soap bubble, and she dared not even look at it directly in case it burst. 
But she was familiar with the way of ideas, and she let it
shimmer, looking away, thinking about something else.
and a subtle fear [capture d] my  h  e  a  r  t.
already [wet] and we're gonna go s w i m ming

ReanimateMagnus

Nope, the closest thing I would assume would be sour cream and/or cheese. But does that even count?