News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfy

Or calling down your army of Ninjas.

Seriously..they can pop out of a damn hay stack without any sign of even being inside there...

I just finished the SP, and Now time for MP. :D

Hemingway

Well, FEAR 2 is a decent action game with creepy atmosphere. The story, well, it doesn't develop a whole lot. It also has a lot of other minor issues that basically make it just another shooter. It would've been completely forgettable if not for the atmosphere and backstory. But those are pretty haunting, so ... considering I got it cheap and got exactly what I expected, I'm not gonna complain.

I haven't finished it yet, but I think I'm getting close to the end. I'm just debating whether to get FEAR when I finish with this. I made that mistake with Deus Ex, too, getting Invisible War before the first game. Invisible War was pretty forgettable. Deus Ex is ... mind-blowing. Maybe it'll be the same thing with this.

It has made me wonder, though. Straight-up action games, specifically first-person shooters, seem to be getting ... not worse, exactly, but they aren't improving. I'm talking mostly gameplay wise, and just the thrill of playing them. Half-Life 2 was great in more or less every way I can think of. Crysis blew my mind when it first came out. Other games are good, too, I love Modern Warfare, for instance, but they lack in one area or another. Modern Warfare suffering mostly because both games are laughably short. But when is somebody going to release a new first-person shooter that's both enjoyable from a gameplay perspective, has an interesting story ( that is also told well ), and isn't beaten in five hours? Somebody tell me!

Sabby

It'll happen when Valve finished with the Half Life IP and starts a new series... in 12 years.

Until then, we got the new IP that Bungie is no dount working on :)

Hemingway

I think Gabe Newell just got bored with Half-Life. Sitting in his office, he went like, "Fuck it, I want to shoot portals."

Edit:

Well, I just beat FEAR2.

I have to say.

Hottest ending. Ever.

Somehow, this game manages to have a character in it more alluring than Xana from Dark Messiah of Might and Magic. And that's saying a lot!

Speaking of Dark Messiah? Great game.

Edit 2: FEAR 1 is being praised to high heavens on the Steam forums.

... *resigned sigh.*

Guess I'm getting it.

Sabby

Okay, that was amazing.

Pulse Gun + Securitron = equal parts hilarity and awesomeness! Three of them on the stairs, VATS, one, two, three shots. All down.

Wolfy

Quote from: Sabby on November 20, 2010, 05:07:02 PM
It'll happen when Valve finished with the Half Life IP and starts a new series... in 12 years.

Until then, we got the new IP that Bungie is no dount working on :)

I still say that Valve wants to Finish the Portal series because it will lead straight into Half-Life Three. We already know that Chell Survived and is the main character of Portal 2. If she survives there (Against Glados again, no doubt), we have no reason not to speculate that she'll find her way to the Aperture Science Ship that Gordon is now heading too. (Also to face Glados..for a third time. :D)...perhaps the Portal Gun shall change hands? Or Gordon's Gravity gun could get an upgrade to shoot portals.

Sabby

Quote from: Wolfy on November 21, 2010, 12:52:27 AMOr Gordon's Gravity gun could get an upgrade to shoot portals.

Geez, why don't ya just divide by zero while your at it.

Hemingway

Gordon might get a portal gun. Except it'll lead STRAIGHT TO XEN, and in order to COME OUT ALIVE ON THE OTHER SIDE you have to FIGHT HORDES OF MONSTERS.

CaringGuy

Red Dead Redemption-  The Wild West theme is just too much for me to resist.  Not only has my experience with Red Dead been markedly better than with any GTA game, it also feels considerably more mature.  There's just something about the rough and tumble of the Old West that lends itself to a more sophisticated story than many of Rockstar's previous open world affairs.  Not to say that GTAIV didn't have great storytelling for a game (which it did), but there's just something about Red Dead that draws me in.  John Marshton is such a sympathetic characters that it's very difficult not to root for him.  Not to mention that he's actually 'a married man', meaning that prostitutes are out of the question.  Which was not something I was expecting after GTA at all.  When a saloon girl starts hitting on your character and he responds back with a cool headed "Sorry, I've got a wife and kids waiting for me at home", it helps to solidify Rockstar's devotion to the characters of the game.  They don't just throw in a quick and easy sex scenario just because it's expected.  They gave the game a bit more dignity than that.
  Highly suggested, especially with the Undead Nightmare expansion.  Blasting zombies in the Wild West is as fun as it sounds.

Left 4 Dead 2-  Zombies everywhere.  BANG BANG BANG!  Gotta heal.  BANG BANG BANG!  Oh god, the Hunter has me.  BANG BANG BANG!
  Multiplayer goodness.  Nothing more to be said.  It does what it's meant to do.  Offer a cooperative zombie killing banzai for everyone involved.  Many sleepless devoted to nothing but zombie killing.  I wouldn't have it any other way.

Wolfy

Quote from: Sabby on November 21, 2010, 04:45:16 AM
Geez, why don't ya just divide by zero while your at it.

Oh Sabby...We already have a gun that can control Gravity. Clearly science doesn't come into play here.

Besides, we all know the answer to any question: The G-man did it.

Hemingway

Playing FEAR1 now, and I gotta say ... it's got a few things that could be better. Shooting mechanics, for instance. There are no iron sights. The point man apparently can't shoot for crap, either, because his gun just jerks in any random direction. And although graphics never make or break a game for me, this doesn't look like a game released a year after Half-Life 2.

But! Those rather trivial things aside, it's superior to FEAR2 in nearly every way. It doesn't have sexy dead Alma lurking around every corner, which kinda sucks, but generally speaking it feels much deeper than FEAR2. I'm almost certain the enemies are smarter, too. And don't take a crapton of bullets to kill, which is a huge plus.

Wolfy

Whee..finally got a wired 360 controller, now using it to play all my various roms..:D

Tiaan

I am playing Resident Evil 5 Mercenaries mode! Really this is the only game that I have returned to time and time and time again; Heavenly Sword I do still go through from time to time but more just to watch the story like it's a favourite movie than for the gameplay itself. With RE5 merc mode, as well as being downright fun there is always a higher score to get, different routes through levels to try out and plenty of chances to scare myself half to death as I try to take down the red executioner on the prison level with Jill using only a machine gun ;D I seriously love this game! I wish more companies would focus on their end game modes and produce something as fun and with such awesome replay value as the RE games have had. I am a real glutton for anything zombie related but I think RE5 merc mode really does have something special about it.

Inkidu

RE 5 is on my perpetual shit list right now. One reason. I have 48 of 50 achievements on it and while the "take it to the max" achievement is doable. I played the game on professional mode, (a.k.a. You're going to effing die mode.) it's hardest difficulty is no doubt unbeatable. I've had friends who say the Jill/Wesker fight is unbeatable because it's impossible to rip the thing off her chest on Pro.

Great game despite that though.

Playing Brotherhood. So much stuff to do. The 100% Sync for Leonardo's Tank is lamely hard though.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Wolfy

Quote from: Inkidu on November 21, 2010, 08:07:00 PM
RE 5 is on my perpetual shit list right now. One reason. I have 48 of 50 achievements on it and while the "take it to the max" achievement is doable. I played the game on professional mode, (a.k.a. You're going to effing die mode.) it's hardest difficulty is no doubt unbeatable. I've had friends who say the Jill/Wesker fight is unbeatable because it's impossible to rip the thing off her chest on Pro.

Great game despite that though.

Playing Brotherhood. So much stuff to do. The 100% Sync for Leonardo's Tank is lamely hard though.

wait till you find out how terrible the matchmaking system is..>_> The multiplayer is Absurdly fun for only being developed over a year, but the matchmaking system is ****. >_>

Hemingway

Oh, GOD. FEAR is creepy to THE MAX.

I much prefer sexy dead Alma to creepy, violent young Alma. She's out to get me, man! And not in a good way! She is far more terrifying in this game. In FEAR2, she occasionally has threatening appearances, but mostly she just makes me want to get in her pants with her seductive looks. With young Alma, though, there have been some true oh shit moments.

Dropping down into a corridor, for instance, fully expecting something to happen. What I didn't expect was Alma exploding the corridor around her, slowly advancing toward me. I was so used to her harmless appearances in FEAR2, I stood still for a moment, expecting her to disappear in a moment .. before I had a literal oh shit moment, decided those explosions were real enough, turned around and ran as fast as I could.

I wish it'd been her sexy older self, though. It'd be far more intimidating. Creepy little girls, to me, are not ... really that creepy.

Wolfy

And just think..if you had played them in order, you would have found Fear 2's Alma sessions to be disappointing...

:P

Hemingway

Well, I personally like FEAR2 Alma better, being so damned sexy all the time.

What I could do without, though, is Alma appearing out of nowhere. I'm not a fan of that type of scare. I don't like being made to jump. I like being scared, having my mind fucked with. FEAR2 didn't have a lot of that, so in that regard, I'm not sure you're right. As far as Alma appearances go, though .. the corridor with the explosions definitely ranks high, probably the best so far ( minus the FEAR2 ending, in case anyone was missing the point ), so we'll see!

Tiaan

Quote from: Inkidu on November 21, 2010, 08:07:00 PM

Did you try it in co op mode? I am not too bothered about getting 100% but like to have a go at the higher difficulties when it takes my fancy, when they released the DLC mission - the one with Josh and Jill - I found it very hard on solo professional but with online co op we got through it ok. Addmittedly I haven't tried the Wesker / Jill fight on pro mode on single or co op though.

Sabby

New Vegas. Pulse Gun + Securiton = Awesome.

Inkidu

Quote from: Tiaan on November 21, 2010, 08:40:10 PM
Did you try it in co op mode? I am not too bothered about getting 100% but like to have a go at the higher difficulties when it takes my fancy, when they released the DLC mission - the one with Josh and Jill - I found it very hard on solo professional but with online co op we got through it ok. Addmittedly I haven't tried the Wesker / Jill fight on pro mode on single or co op though.
My friends were going it co-op (the Jill and Wesker fight) and they said they'd been at it for an hour or more, unable to get it off her and then she killed them and they had to start all over and they said f-it

I've played Pro. It's a nightmare. One hit drops you to dying status. Then that disappears in less than three seconds and you die.

Also I got NCR ranger combat armor (the cover armor) woot. It's awesome. I'm already an NCR sympathizer in this game so it works out.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Hemingway

FEAR is ... taxing. I can't play it for more than 30 minutes or so without a break! Which, in this context, is a good thing.

I gotta say, though. Assassins are creepy as long as they're, well, creeping around. Once they show themselves, though, a shotgun will stop them as easily as any other Replica soldier. Easier, in fact!

Lotusgirl

At the moment I... definitely don't... play F.E.A.R.. It's way too scary for me. Gosh, my best friend loves it. While she sat there and played it totally relaxed, I think I didn't even played it for more than 15 mins. or so. O_O
But I must confess it is definitely the creepiest game I ever played. (Which reminds me back when I was younger and played Resident Evil 2 or 3 with a friend, it was late in the evening and the lights turned off,  then my friend's mom opened his door quite fast and asked: "Hey do you need something?" We were so shocked and almost got a heart attack. Yeah, the good old times, when we were surprised how realistic the character models looked like. ^_^

Okay, back to the games I play at the moment:

X-Box 360:
Fable III
Overlord II
Bayonetta
Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 2

PC:
Velvet Assassin
Two Worlds 2
Titan Quest
Mafia 2
(On rare occasions:) Left 4 Dead 1 & 2

Sabby

Totally out of things to play :/ finished New Vegas, the story was a bit disappointing, and I feel very cheated to find the 'special reward' for HC Mode is an Achievement... DR2 can go fuck itself. Ninja Storm 2 can as well. Not playing against AI enemies with inhuman block/counter timing. I'm really at a loss of what to play...

Oh well, Advent Rising is on it's way in the mail.

iiEnigma

Switching between Dynasty Warriors Online and Vindictus on the PC.

Kinda waiting for Kabod to come out to see if it will be okay or completely lame.