Interest check ONLY: Fate/stay Night "sequel" [UN] (Modern mythological fantasy)

Started by Karma, November 01, 2009, 07:30:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Loki Caprion

The Professor is drifting through time and space...

Discord: Professor Ravenhurst#8936

Ons/Offs | Ideas | A&As (Apr 28, 2016) | The Lab | Elluiki

Zadaris

After some deliberation I've decided I'll use a Rider class: Loki.

This Holy Grail war is as good as mine!

*laughs evily*
"The only way to discover the limits of the possible is to go beyond them, into the impossible."

Professor Loki Caprion

Quote from: Zadaris on November 10, 2009, 07:05:07 PM
After some deliberation I've decided I'll use a Rider class: Loki.

This Holy Grail war is as good as mine!

*laughs evily*

... wait, what?! Who's riding me?!
The Professor is drifting through time and space...

Discord: Professor Ravenhurst#8936

Ons/Offs | Ideas | A&As (Apr 28, 2016) | The Lab | Elluiki

TheWriter

Karma, can you check your PMs and tell me if you'll allow that?

I'll throw in Arcueid Brunestud as a Caster or Berserker, whichever needs a slot filled.  If I'm needed to come up with a Master character, I'll do that as well.

Oni Kirin

Whaaat? I thought I called Assassin first...that kinda sucks, because I totally wanted to be Hanzo Hattori as the Assassin....well, dammit, now I have to completely rethink who I am going to be. ><

Ah, you're right... you did mention that. It wasn't specific, so I forgot. You can still have it if you want it.

Oni Kirin

No, its ok. If he was given the spot, I can come up with something else. ^_^ It just might take a bit for me to find a decent pic for them. If you can edit the First Post, or make a separate thread for open slots/taken slots, that would be a big help, too.

Not sure what you mean... unless you're talking about what I've already done. :P

Also, Writer, I wrote you in as Berserker since it makes the most sense.

TheWriter

Berserker it is, then.

Just another quick question; exactly who will be supervising the War?  Obviously an NPC from the Church; any particulars yet?

I'll be having Tohsaka sent in to observe and report but also to participate. She won't be the supervisor like Kotomine, however. I haven't laid out that part yet - something to discuss here and between GMs.

Chuukun

As I said in the post where I posted my list, I would like to play Jeanne d'Arc as a Saber-class Servant, if possible.

TheWriter

If there is still a need for NPC Servants, I nominate Lu Bu as a Lancer.  His Tien Fang Xi is already a Noble Phantasm in its own right; it's in Gilgamesh's vault.

Oni Kirin

Grrr...Writer, wait til I pick my class, plz, until you nominate NPCs. ><

I expect all the Servants will be played. Also, Oni, you could use Lu Bu if you wanted. :P

TheWriter

Sorry if it sounded like it, but I wasn't intending to force your hand or anything, Kirin.  I only put the name forward if there was a need for him; it's not like my word is law.

Jadzi

Aww. Loki was telling me about this one, but it looks like I'm too late and all the Servants are taken. :P

Curious though: not using the Avenger servant class?

Avenger is an anomaly class, not a real one. To say any more would be massive spoilers. xD

I know Oni still will make a Servant... there are two openings, however. Is anyone else looking to make a Servant that's already posted? Otherwise, we do have room for you as a Servant, Jadzi.

Edit: Oops, yeah, read through the thread again. Servants are full up it seems. Cassiopeia wanted Hyppolyta as Saber, but Chuukun called Saber first. x_x; Assuming she still wants to take a role, she and Oni will be the last two. I'm hoping people are just holding back on magi until the servants are set... Otherwise, we have a severe unbalance.

TheWriter

I, for one, was waiting for the Servants to finalize before deciding on a Master character.  On that note, when players begin to come up with Masters, perhaps it'd be a good idea to explain what a magi needs to call upon a Servant.  More to the point, how 'accidental' summonings like Shirou's can occur.

TheWriter

Pfft, fine.

To summon a particular Hero, Masters either need an abundant source of mana, or something to negate the need for so much magical energy.  The method behind the first option is usually the mana-filled jewels or relics that Karma mentions in her first post.  The amount of mana required varies from Hero to Hero; as Karma said it has to do with the renown of the Hero, how old their legend is, and how powerful they were reputed to be.  Summoning Joan of Arc, for instance, would be more difficult than summoning Doc Holliday; partly because Joan of Arc is more renowned than Doc, partly because her legend has been around for longer, and partly because she is perceived as having more spiritual power (being chosen by God).  Contrastly, summoning Loki is greatly more difficult than any of them, having existed outside the human concept of time, and having the power of a god himself.

The method behind the second is to use a catalyst, an item with a significant sympathetic connection with the intended Servant; that is, something that was close to the Hero during their life.  This is ideal when the Master has very little or no magical power of his own, or when the prospective Servant is normally outside the Master's abilities to summon.  As an example, being a mage of next-to-no aptitude Shirou was only able to summon this particular figure as Saber because he unknowingly possessed this at the time.  Catalysts can also be used unintentionally, as demonstrated by Rin summoning this particular figure as Archer, using a mana-charged gem that actually served as a catalyst.

When compared to the other Servants portrayed in FSN, the ones chosen by people here would need much less mana, seeing as their stories comparatively don't date back too far.  The exceptions to this would be Loki (a much older legend) and Joan of Arc (a Hero of exceptional spiritual power).  Whoever chooses these Servants for their Master character would more than likely need to do a little background research into their Hero, and decide on a catalyst to use.  Calling Loki, for instance, could require a powerful relic from Norse mythology, such as Mjolnir.  Joan of Arc could be summoned using one of her old letters, or a standard she bore into battle, or the arrow that pierced her neck at the Battle of Les Tourelles.

Chuukun

Incredibly well-written, TheWriter. And from my knowledge of the Nasuverse, I can only concur.

Chuukun

By the way, since we've gone to such lengths to explain and outline the servants, I'd say it's time people learn what Magi they could play as Masters. Of course, aside from rogue or unknown Magi, there are also well-known families and bloodlines that could participate. Read them up here!