And Blizzard's big announcement is...

Started by Jeramiahh, June 28, 2008, 12:14:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeramiahh

For those of you who've been following the big build up on the Blizzard websites over the past week, featuring something mysterious breaking through the ice... they announced early this morning (Or this afternoone, for you folks in other parts of the world) what their brand new game is.

Diablo 3.

http://www.blizzard.com/diablo3/

*fanboy squeal*
I'm not shy. I'm silently stalking my prey.
There are two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not quite sure about the first one.

Brandon

For a game thats got technology thats lightyears ahead of its predecessors it sure doesnt look much different graphically. However keeping the same theme might help the game out, especially with the old fans.
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

RubySlippers

I can only afford basic dialup internet if it was past the level of Diablo 1 and 2 I couldn't play it and I love Diablo.

Brandon

When it comes out drop a hint to your friends/boyfriends about getting it as a Christmas or birhtday present ;)
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Jeramiahh

Yeah, that's always been Blizzard's philosophy; don't push the bleeding edge, let everyone have a chance to play. Take World of Warcraft, for instance; if you look at early alpha screenshots, they're near top-of-the-line graphics, for that day, anyway. They intentionally scaled them back, to allow more people to play. Hell, it runs on Macs, that's saying something. =P

Besides, what more does Diablo need? They perfected the formula in the first game, now they're just polishing it and adding more shinies that weren't possible the first two times around. Hell, I'd play it if it were still using D1 graphics. =P
There are two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not quite sure about the first one.

RubySlippers

I like Diablo but I wish they had a gender choice for some of the classes such as the Sorceress why not a Sorceror for the guys. And for the girls a female Necromancer. So that would be a nice change. But why mess with what works its easy to play, hard to master and I'm looking forward to the new classes they come up with.

Sabby

kongming

Quote from: Jeramiahh on June 28, 2008, 02:05:16 PM
Besides, what more does Diablo need? They perfected the formula in the first game

00 Click
10 Goto 00

In all seriousness, I loved the first Diablo. Diablo 2... I loved starting it, but I grew to hate it. That being said, Blizzard are good at making games, and they make good games. Diablo 3 will be good, even if it isn't my thing, and it might very well end up being my thing.

My ex was getting very annoyed: the cracked ice had a winking smiley face added at some point, so she thought Blizzard was mocking her. Also, someone posted a link to what the mystery game was. A youtube video. I think we all know what it is.

To all those who were hoping it would be World of Starcraft:
You have my sympathies. I was also hoping to see naked female Protoss dancing through the cities.

---

My PC probably won't be able to run it, but still, looking forward to seeing D3 in action.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Ons/Offs:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=9536.msg338515

Jeramiahh

Yeah, Diablo's fairly simple-minded... but, then again, one could say the same thing about most FPSs. "Boy, I sure do love running around, clicking the left mouse button."

In all seriousness, though, given the screens we saw of the game today, it easily looks like any computer able to run WoW could run D3; the graphics in no way push any modern computer to any edge.

Mmm... naked Protoss babes... >_>

Gathering Wilderness

Yes, yes. I had such a massive loregasm earlier this afternoon listening to Deckard Cain read from his journal. -Wipes a tear from his eye.- So much of my younger years wasted on that game, and now they give it another installment. Pure joy, I tell ya.

Xillen

Hmm, mixed feelings.

For one thing, I would never even start playing WoSC. I've had it with MMO's by now. D3, I dunno. The more lighthearted setting and play whenever you want is interesting... But if it's like D1 and D2, than it does become repetitive kinda fast. Making it really depend on who you play with...

I'll most likely buy and play it. Dunno how long I'll play it.

Chris Brady

...Really fricken COOL!

I so want this game!

GO BARBARIAN!
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

kongming

If I get it and play it, my choice will be largely similar to the choice I made with D1 and D2: I need to stare at an arse all day. Better make it a nice one (Rogue in 1, Sorceress in 2, even though every goddamn enemy in the entire second half of the fucking game is immune to magic and every boss makes you want to nail the Blizzard designers to the floor, slice open their stomach, urinate into the internal organs and wait for septic shock to kill them, yes I'm fucking bitter).

So I guess I'll need to wait and see what characters are released for it.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Ons/Offs:

Xillen

Mmh, I went with that as well (though I chose Amazon in D2), but I enjoyed the archery style, so it wasn't that bad for me.

*Goes to check the link, now he's reminded of it back at home*

QuoteWill players be able to choose the gender of their character, regardless of class?

Yes. Players will be able to create male and female characters for all five classes.

Seems you have less to worry about this time, Kongming :)

kongming

Excellent. Now to hope magic classes don't get shafted (or alternatively that the female barbarian/whatever looks sexiest).

Trust me, female barbarians can look gorgeous. A nice moderate tan, wild hair, tattoos/warpaint (WOAD WAGE!), the barest minimum of clothing, nice toned muscles and an altogether natural look.

Although the blood of her enemies caked to her naked body can be seen as a downside (for some).

Ons/Offs:

Xillen

Check the barbarian class page. I ran into some female barbarian artwork. She doesn't seem to be gray and wrinkled like the male barbarian does :P

I guess that leaves amazones out, as that would mean they had to include male amazones, which seems rather odd. :P

I wonder what they're going to do with Hirelings. I doubt they make them genderspecific, but one can hope for amazon hirelings (D2 had hirelings from D1), since melee hirelings die way too quickly.

Now why does this make me wanna play D2?

Psi

This makes me want to get D2 running on my Mac..

Now to find a version that works.

Kazae

Quote from: kongming on July 01, 2008, 03:18:47 AM
...even though every goddamn enemy in the entire second half of the fucking game is immune to magic and every boss makes you want to nail the Blizzard designers to the floor, slice open their stomach, urinate into the internal organs and wait for septic shock to kill them...

I adore you.

Now if only I could find a suitable game to run that would provide suitable incentive to play and partake of Epic Bitterness.
...................__
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
..........................'...../
..........''............. _.·´
..........................(
Yes, I'm probably over-thinking.  Yes, I'm going to continue over-thinking.
There are enough people out there running on autopilot;someone has to make up for those lost synaptic cycles, and it may as well be me.

Push Button...

Chris Brady

I'm a little confused.  How were people stuck looking at the asses of the Diablo characters?

I can't see it.  The view I have (As I've reinstalled my copy of D2 and LoD) is usually isometric and I'm usually looking at the barbarian's front.  (I'll get to the Sorceress and the Paladin, in that order, later.)

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Inkidu

From what I saw in a magazine the graphics are really quite good. It looks as good as Fable 2 is supposed to. I found the games quite enjoyable without online anyway.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Chris Brady

Go get the Gameplay video from the site, it's worth it.

Xillen

Quote from: Chris Brady on July 09, 2008, 03:55:57 PM
I'm a little confused.  How were people stuck looking at the asses of the Diablo characters?

I can't see it.  The view I have (As I've reinstalled my copy of D2 and LoD) is usually isometric and I'm usually looking at the barbarian's front.  (I'll get to the Sorceress and the Paladin, in that order, later.)

Figure of speech. It's still there on the middle of your screen like always. Go go Amazon - Valkyrie - Rogue team :P

Chris Brady

I think the Witch Doctor has replaced the Necromancer.

There's going to be a 'Ranger' type, I'll bet...

I'm pretty sure the Sorceress and her counterpart will be back, as will the Paladin of Zakarum.

Xillen

Mmh, with 5 classes, that sounds like the most logical setup. 2 melee, 1 ranged and 2 casters. The Ranged could also be a combined melee/ranged class like the Amazon was.

Hellfyre

Quote from: Chris Brady on July 23, 2008, 07:45:32 PM
I think the Witch Doctor has replaced the Necromancer.

There's going to be a 'Ranger' type, I'll bet...

I'm pretty sure the Sorceress and her counterpart will be back, as will the Paladin of Zakarum.

I heard that Barbarian is the only returning class.

Though they'll prolly pull some strange blizzard magic, label a sorceress an 'elementalist' and be done with it.