What is the maximum number of Private Messages which can be held?

Started by Skynet, October 04, 2013, 04:36:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lilias

To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Lilias

Quote from: Skynet on October 04, 2013, 04:45:51 PM
Wow, that's a huge amount! :o

What with all the bureaucracy of keeping tabs on things and people... *shiftyeyes*
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

ladyelizabeth

The Oath of Drake *~*  On/Off's  *~*  A/A's

Oniya

Actually, BeMi hit the limit - and then Vekseid upped it.  It used to be 32767, at which point it stopped incrementing the number, but you still got the PMs.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Lilias

It goes without saying that regular pruning is essential as the numbers climb up. ;)
~Wendell Berry

Elina

I'm sitting on over 10k.  Pruning at this point would take time I don't have.

Oniya

Sometimes it's less a matter of pruning and more a matter of strategic amputation.  'These messages are more than five years old...  Ah... nope.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

BAMF

I just about spat soda all over my screen, Oniya! Imagine if that's how we did actual amputations?

"Oh, your leg is five years old at this point. Guess we'll have to get rid of that one and get you the latest model."
»O/O’s«»Ideas«»A/A's«
Great things are done
by a series of small things
brought together.

»Vincent Van Gogh«

ladyelizabeth

Wow...  I almost had tea up my nose!!  wow Bamf and Oniya  that was a really needed laugh
The Oath of Drake *~*  On/Off's  *~*  A/A's

Vekseid

Quote from: Skynet on October 04, 2013, 04:36:40 PM
I was thinking of trimming down my PMs, which are now approaching 100.  Just in case, I want to know the max limit Elliquiy can hold before my account can't accept any more.

I just had to change the database column storing the number because two people had reached signed 16-bit maxint (32767). A lot of other people would have reached that number if they didn't prune their pms.

Oreo

A lot of people RP in their PMs. Having an unlimited amount of space available make sense.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

AmberStarfire

Judging by Veks' code written in another thread, changing the column to an int(eger) as opposed to a small int means it should now allow 2147483647 messages.

(I've just spent 5 months in a classroom learning about this stuff, so I can't resist the temptation to answer).