Arkham Horror - Testing the waters for a game

Started by Praxis, December 02, 2006, 06:34:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreamy

I'm pro-old, since all you have to think is "no cellphones" and "no computers" and the rest can be faked  ;D

But on the other hand I might not have time to write long threads (nor be inclined to do so as a loosing investigator ;)) so my word shouldn't get to carry much weight  8)

Ajoxer

Personally, I'd like the 1940-50s. And I call Dexter for character!
I have a shock collar, designed for maximum Player/GM efficiency. If you see that I have not properly been fulfilling my duties in posting regularly, or a game being held back because I haven't posted, PM me and give me hell!

Celestial Goblin

1950 for me too. It's not really such a weird time at all.
It's got folks like this:

Those folks watch TV and drive around in cars. If the TV set is a colour one, the folks are as happy as someone who just got connected to the internet.

Cars would probably look like this:

Weapons would include all the WW2 goodness you can shake a rifle at.

:)

Cosmo_ac

LordAnubis

I just played the board game on friday.
Joe Diamond, man with the gun.

Best character for taking out the monsters, double dice on clue points, enchanted sword in one hand .45 automatic in the other, Cut a bloody path threw them all.

Don't have time to play, but I strongly recomend the board game to everyone.

Spookie Monster

Quote from: LordAnubis on December 17, 2006, 03:25:52 AM
I just played the board game on friday.
Joe Diamond, man with the gun.

Best character for taking out the monsters, double dice on clue points, enchanted sword in one hand .45 automatic in the other, Cut a bloody path threw them all.

Don't have time to play, but I strongly recomend the board game to everyone.

Sounds very cool.  Thanks for the info! :)

Spel
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs
~ R.I.P., Cam ~ ~ R.I.P., Judi ~ ~ R.I.P., Steph ~

Ajoxer

I got the board game! WHOO! It looks incredibly awesome.
I have a shock collar, designed for maximum Player/GM efficiency. If you see that I have not properly been fulfilling my duties in posting regularly, or a game being held back because I haven't posted, PM me and give me hell!

Spookie Monster

Quote from: Ajoxer on December 27, 2006, 07:22:45 PMI got the board game! WHOO! It looks incredibly awesome.

Whoa... sweet.  This game seems to be a humble hit!  I know someone else who got it for Christmas, and I learned a couple of days ago that somebody almost bought it for me myself for Christmas.  Kudos to Fantasy Flight Games!

So, Ajoxer, have you had the chance to play it yet?  If so, how is it?

Spel
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs

Ajoxer

A bit, yeah. It's superb! The great thing is, you can even play it with only one player, though it's a lot easier with at least three players, heh.

Ajoxer

Made a useful little chart that should help people to keep track of things without the board.

Northside. White to Downtown, Black to merchant District.   
Downtown. Black to Northside, White to Easttown, connection to Merchant District.
Easttown. Black to Downtown, white to Rivertown.
Merchant District. White to Northside, Black to Miskatonic University, connection to Downtown and Rivertown.
Rivertown, black to Easttown, white to French Hill, connection to Merchant District.
Miskatonic University, white to Merchant District, black to Uptown, connection to French Hill.
French Hill, white to Southside, black to Rivertown.connection to Miskatonic.
Uptown, white to Miskatonic, black to Southside.          
Southside, white to Uptown, black to French Hill.

Terror Track: 0

Creature Tracker:

Clue Tracker:

Gate Tracker:

Player Trackre

Outskirts Tracker:

Doom Track:

Other Dimensions:
Another Dimension, RYGB
Abyss, BR
City of the Great Race, YG
Yuggoth, BY
Great Hall of Celeano, BG
The Dreamlands, RYGB
Plateau of Leng, RG
R'lyeh RY

Locations.

Location Key: U Unique item, C Common Item, Cl Clue, $ Money, * Blessing, A Allies, San Sanity, Sta Stamina, Sk skills, Sp Spells  Unstable! Unstable location.
Northside: Train Station, CU, Newspaper, Cl$, Curiositte Shoppe, CU, special- instead of having an encounter here, you may draw three unique items and purchase one of them for it's list price. Discard the other two items.
Downtown: Bank of Arkham, $*, Bank Loan- may take a bank loan here instead of an encounter, if you don't have one yet. Arkham Asylum, SanCl, instead of having an encounter here, you may recover sanity by recieving psychiatric care. You may either regain 1 sanity for free or 2$ for full sanity. Independence Square, ClU Unstable!
Easttown: Hibb's Roadhouse, $CUnstable!, Velma's Diner, $Sta, Police Station, CCl, can spend 10 toughness worth of monster trophies, 2 gate trophies, or 5 toughness worth of monster trophies and 1 gate trophy to become the Deputy of Arkham, and get the Deputy of Arkham card.
Merchant District, Unviisted Isle, ClSpUnstable! River Docks, $C Trade 5 toughness of monster trophies or 1 Gate Trophy for 5 dollars.The Unnameable, UClUnstable!
Rivertown: Graveyard, ClUIUnstable! Black Cave, CSpUnstable! General Store, $C Same as Curiosity shop, but for common items rather than Unique.
Miskatonic Unviersity, Science Building, ClUUnstable!, 5 monster toughness/1 gate trophy for 2 clue tokens. Administration, $Sk, pay 8 dollars to draw two skills and keep one. Library, USp
French Hill, The Witch House, ClSpUnstable!, Silver Twilight Lodge, ClUUnstable! With a Silver Twilight Membership, use the Inner Sanctum results for Encounters here.
Uptown, St Mary's Hospital, ClSta, same as Asylum for Stamina, Ye Olde Magick Shoppe, SpU draw two spells and keep one for 5 dollars, Woods $CUnstable!
Southside, Historical Society, SkSpUnstable!, South Church, San*, for 5 toughness or a gate trophy, get a Blessing. Ma's Boarding House, pay 10 toughness, 2 gate trophies, or 5 and 1 to pick an Ally of your choice.

Cosmo_ac

i recently bought this game too, and i have to say it's a bit of a bitch to learn all the rules and how to play.  There's like 20 pages of rules and instructions, but once you start playing, and give the book a good once over, you begin to learn quickly.

I will also say that this is a tough game!  Seriously.  My friends and i got our asses kicked from one side of the board to the other.  This is the type of game where you take out a video recorder and tape it because thats the only way people are going to believe you beat this game.

Ajoxer

Ashcan Pete, Drifter. 4 Sanity, 6 Stamina. River Docks Home. Fixed possessions, 1$, 3 Clue tokens, 1 ally (Duke). Random, 1 common item, 1 unique item, 1 skill.
When Pete draws from the Coomon Item, Unique Item, or Spell deck, he can draw from the top or bottom, his choice. He can also look at the bottom card of those decks at any time.
Soeed/Sneak: 0/6    Fight/Will: 2/5   Lore/Luck: 0/3. Focus 1.
Amanda Sharpe, Student. 5 Sanity, 5 Stamina, Bank of Arkham home, fixed possessions, 1$, 1 clue token, Rnadom Possessions, 1 common item, 1 unique item, 1 spell, 2 skills.
Whenever she draws from the skill deck, she draws one extra card and discards one of the cards of her choice.
Speed/Sneak: 1/4   Fight/Will:1/4   Lore/Luck:1/4 Focus 3
Gloria Goldberg, Author. 6 Sanity, 4 Stamina, Velma's Diner home, Fixed possessions: 7$, 2 clue tokens, random possessions 2 common items, 2 spells, 1 skill.
When drawing gate encounters in other worlds, Gloria draws two cards that match the color of one of the Other World's encounter symbols, then chooses which one she wants. This does not work when drawing location encounters in Arkham.
Speed/Sneak 1/3,    Fight/Will 0/5,    Lore/Luck 1/5, Focus 2
Jenny Barnes, Dilettante, 6 sanity, 4 stamina, Train Station Home, Fixed Possessions: 10$, RAndom Possessions: 2 common items, 1 unique, 1 spell, 1 skill.
Upkeep: Jenny gains 1$.
Speed/Sneak 0/4   Fight/Will 1/5   Lore/Luck 1/5 Focus 1
Monterey Jack, Archaeologist, 3 Sanity, 7 Stamina, Curiositie Shoppe, Fixed possesssions 7$, 1 clue token, Bull Whip, .38 Revolver, random possessions: 2 unique items, 1 skill.
Whenever he draws one or more cards from the Unique Item deck, he draws an extra card and discards one of the cards.
Speed/Sneak 1/3   Fight/Will 2/3   Lore/Luck 1/5 Focus 2
Joe Diamond, Private Eye, 4 Sanity, 6 Stamina, Home Police Station, Fixed Possessions 8$, three clue tokens, .45 Automatic, random possessions: 2 common items, 1 spell.
Joe rolls one extra bonus die when he spends a clue token to add to a roll.
Speed/Sneak 3/4   Fight/Will 2/3   Lore/Luck 0/3 Focus 3
Michael McGlen, Gangster, 3 Sanity, 7 Stamina, Home Ma's Boarding House, FIxed possessions 8$, Tommy Gun, Dynamite, andom: 1 Unique Item, 1 skill
Michael reduces all Stamina losses he suffers by 1, to a minimum of 0.
Speed/Sneak 2/4   Fight/Will 3/4    Lore/Luck 0/3 Focus 1
Darrel Simmons, Photographer, 4 Sanity, 6 Stamina, Newspaper Home, fixed $4, 1 Clue, 1 Retainer, Random: 1 common, 2 unique, 1 skill
When drawing location encounters in Arkham, draws two and chooses which he wants. Doesn't work when drawing Gate encounters.
Speed/Sneak 2/3   Fight/Will 2/4   Lore/Luck 0/4   Focus: 2
Vincent Lee, Doctor, 5 Sanity, 5 Stamina, Saint Mary's Hospital Home, Fixed 9$ 1 Clue, Random 2 common items, 2 spells, 1 skill
At Upkeep, can restore 1 Stamina to himself or another character in his location. Cannot raise a character's Stamina higher than Max.
Speed/Sneak 0/5   Fight/Will 0/4   Lore/Luck 2/4   Focus 2
Bob Jenkins, Salesman, 4 Sanity, 6 Stamina, General Store Home, Fixed 9$, Random 2 common items, 2 unique items, 1 skill.
Draws one extra Common Item when drawing, and discards one.
Speed/Sneak 2/3   Fight/Will 1/6   Lore/Luck 0/4    Focus 1
Kate Winthrop, Scientist, 6 Sanity, 4 Stamina, Science Building Home, Fixed 7$ 2 Clue tokens, Random 1 common, 1 unique, 2 spells, 1 skill.
Gates and monsters don't appear in Kate's location, they don't disappear if she enters their location, and monsters can move into her location as usual. No clue token on Science Building at the start of the game.
Speed/Sneak 1/5   Fight/Will 1/3   Lore/Luck 2/4   Focus 1
Carolyn Fern, psychologist, 6 Sanity, 4 Stamina, Arkham Asylum home, Fixed 7$, 1 Clue, Random 2 unique items, 2 common items, 1 skill.
May restore 1 sanity to herself or another at that location during Upkeep.
Speed/Sneak 0/3   Fight/Will 1/4   Lore/Luck 2/5   Focus 2
Suster Mary, Nun, 7 sanity, 3 Stamina, South Church Home, Fixed 0$, Blessing, Cross, Holy Water, Random 2 spells, 1 skill.
Never lost in Time and Space. Returns to normal places if all of something are lost, returns to South Church if neither.
Speed/Sneak 1/4   Fight/Will 0/4   Lore/Luck 1/6   Focus 1
Dexter Drake, Magician, 5 Sanity, 5 Stamina, Ye Olde Magick Shoppe Home, Fixe 5$, Shrivelling. Random 1 common item, 1 unique item, 2 spells, 1 skill.
Whenever he draws a card from the spell deck, he draws one extra card, and then discards one of the cards.
Speed/Sneak 2/4   Fight/Will 1/3   Lore/Luck 2/3 Focus 2
Harvey Walters Professor 7 Sanity 3 Stamina administration Building home, Fixed 5$ 1 Clue, Random 2 unique items, 2 spells, 1 skill.
Reduce all sanity losses suffered by 1.
Speed/Sneak 0/5   Fight/Will 0/3   Lore/Luck 3/4   Focus 2
Mandy Thompson Researcher 5 Sanity 5 Stamina Library Home Fixed: 6$ 4 Clues, Random: 2 common items, 1 unique item, 1 skill.
Once per turn, she can activate this ability after any investigator, including herself, makes a skill check. That investigator then re-rolls all of the dice rolled for that check that did not result in successes.
Speed/Sneak 1/5   Fight/Will 0/5   Lore/Luck 1/3

For the Stat/Stat, this represents the leftmost marker.

The quick notes version of the character sheets, helpful if you use this information on the template shown above.

Cosmo_ac

not to be a pest or anything, but do we have any news about this game?

Spookie Monster

Quote from: Cosmo_ac on January 02, 2007, 06:16:24 PM
not to be a pest or anything, but do we have any news about this game?

Hmmm... I for one haven't heard anything.  I'll message Ender... see if anything's up...

UPDATE: Message sent.

UPDATE (evening of January 8th): Sorry, droogs and devotchkas - no word yet.  Then again, it appears that Ender hasn't logged in since I sent him the message, so...

UPDATE (afternoon of January 13th): Sorry - no word yet.

UPDATE (evening of January 18th): Sorry... nothing yet.

Spel

Edited to indicate 1) that I had in fact sent the message in question, 2) that I hadn't received a reply yet, 3) that I still hadn't received a reply, and 4) that I still hadn't received a reply.  I rock...
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs

Cosmo_ac

ZK

And it's such a kickass board-game too...I seen it and the expansion at my local comic store...damn box is HEAVY. o.o
On's/Off's --- Game Reviews

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

Cosmo_ac

i agree ZK.  I bought the board game about a month ago, and i've never seen such a elaberate rule heavy board game with so many cards.  Frankly, i find it rather inspirational.

Spookie Monster

Quote from: Cosmo_ac on January 19, 2007, 11:48:03 AM
looks like the games a no go

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=8527.msg297580;boardseen#new

Alas, alas... tears run down Spel's fur. :'(  Oh, well... no biggie... perhaps next time. :)

By the way, Cosmo_ac: Great catch!  I probably never would have spotted Ender's post there.  Thanks for posting... :)

Spel
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs