Warhammer 40k: Rogue Trader - The Colony of Rain

Started by LisztesFerenc, December 14, 2014, 12:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: AndyZ on December 17, 2014, 03:16:48 PM
Tempest-Class Frigate can't have a Lance.  If you want a Lance on a Frigate or smaller, it has to be on the Prow.  202, Supplemental Components.

Hrm, good point. So let's go with the Sunhammer then, for long-range sniping appropriate to our speed. That leaves us with 7 power and 7 space, and we've spent 39 SP by my count.

Let's get some Augmented Retro-Thrusters for another 3 Power, 0 Space, and 2 SP, so we can open the range easier when needed to use our speed and range. 4 power, 7 space left. 41 SP.

1 Space to upgrade from Pressed-Crew to Voidsman Quarters...a happy crew is a productive crew.

If we swap the Jovian Missile battery for a Sunsear Laser Battery, we're now fully geared for long-range combat, which I like. For 3 power and 3 space, leaving us with 1 of each, we get -1 Battery Strength, +1 Damage on hit, and +3 Range. No net change in SP.

Our ship will be fast, maneuverable, and capable of taking decently powerful potshots at enemies while dancing outside their range.

AndyZ

It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

ChaoticSky

Sorry for the delay, was fiddling

68840   Noone or Anyone   2014-12-16 16:53:00   At 2014-12-16 16:53:00, Darkling (uid: 6578) rolls: 2d10 Result: 15
68839   Noone or Anyone   2014-12-16 16:52:52   At 2014-12-16 16:52:52, Darkling (uid: 6578) rolls: 2d10 Result: 8
68838   Noone or Anyone   2014-12-16 16:52:46   At 2014-12-16 16:52:46, Darkling (uid: 6578) rolls: 2d10 Result: 15
68837   Noone or Anyone   2014-12-16 16:52:41   At 2014-12-16 16:52:41, Darkling (uid: 6578) rolls: 2d10 Result: 5
68836   Noone or Anyone   2014-12-16 16:52:36   At 2014-12-16 16:52:36, Darkling (uid: 6578) rolls: 2d10 Result: 12
68835   Noone or Anyone   2014-12-16 16:52:32   At 2014-12-16 16:52:32, Darkling (uid: 6578) rolls: 2d10 Result: 4
68834   Noone or Anyone   2014-12-16 16:52:26   At 2014-12-16 16:52:26, Darkling (uid: 6578) rolls: 2d10 Result: 12
68833   Noone or Anyone   2014-12-16 16:52:21   At 2014-12-16 16:52:21, Darkling (uid: 6578) rolls: 2d10 Result: 12
68832   Noone or Anyone   2014-12-16 16:52:16   At 2014-12-16 16:52:16, Darkling (uid: 6578) rolls: 2d10 Result: 15
68831   Noone or Anyone   2014-12-16 16:52:11   At 2014-12-16 16:52:11, Darkling (uid: 6578) rolls: 2d10 Result: 4

Pumpkin Seeds

I think I am going to bow out folks.  I just don't see me being able to keep pace.

Wargtass

Nooo, my Seneschal buddy, now the impressionable Rogue Trader will just become a foppish dolt under the lax hand of the decadent Navigator... ;__;
O/O

deadmanshand

Victris

Born and raised on the Forge World Opus Macharius Victris remembers little of his early life save for the lessons of the Adeptus Mechanicus. If he had brothers or sisters he no longer recalls. The faces of his mother and father have been lost. The first memory he has of being outside the halls of the Machine Cult was being loaded onto the Black Ships of the Adeptus Astra Telepathica for the journey to holy Terra.

There he watched others be judged wanting and fed to the Golden Throne - their only worth in sacrificing their lives for the Emperor. When it came time for his judgement they found him worthy. For months he prayed and fasted and prepared to be exposed to a fraction of the Omnissiah's power and when he was taken with his hundred fellows into the depths of the Imperial Palace he was found worthy a second time. It cost him his eyes but his sight - illuminated by the Emperor's light - had never been clearer.

For years he served as an Astropath is meant to. Passing communication between the stars and serving the Imperium of Man as only one soul bound to the Emperor can. His lingering ties to the Adeptus Mechanicus and the touch of it's teachings made him less than a favorite for the officials of the Ecclesiarchy. In time he found himself working in Adeptus Mechanicus systems and that is where he came to the attention of Genetor Haddon Wingates Holk.

Haddon had long been fascinated with the ability of organic minds to perceive and map the Warp. It seemed a task for cold Omnissiah blessed machinae but only Navigators and Psykers could do so. It fell to him to wrest that secret from them. A task that he took up with relish unbefitting a scion of logic and knowledge - and one that consumed him. How many psykers suffered at his hands only he knows but few that came under his study survived long with mind or body intact.

Victris was one such and by far his most promising specimen. He survived having his mind broken open and exposed to the warp even if it changed his world forever. Every manner of surgery... every manner of invasive auspex was performed upon him in the hopes that he could reveal the secrets of his abilities to Haddon. Bound to the Emperor's soul by rite and faith he survived. Changed but still he survived.

He may have died - or worse - there if not for the Inquisitor Godwinne who discovered Haddon's work and the Cadian 69th who he led into the Genetor's base. In the chaos Victris broke free and had Haddon in his sights but the monster escaped and the Inquisition confiscated or destroyed his research. Only 2 others came out of that facility's laboratories. Both of them hopelessly mad. Victris put them down himself. In the wake the Astropath found himself looking more and more to the stars - and the mad Genetor hiding among them. Using his record of service and experience as leverage Victris freed himself from the Choirs and the Adeptus to walk the starways.

Character Sheet
Career: Astropath Transcendant

Homeworld: Forge World
Birthright: Unnatural Origin - Tainted by the Warp (200xp)
Lure of the Void: Tainted - Deviant Philosophy
Trials and Travails: Darkness - Dark Secret (200xp)
Motivation: Devotion - Duty (100xp)

WS: 29 (-5)
BS: 35
S: 33
T: 34
Ag: 35
Int: 40 (+5)
Per: 41 (+5 Adv)
Wil: 72 (+3 FfP +3 CbtW +3 CtE +6 DS +3 Duty +10 Adv)
Fel: 33 (-3)

Wounds: 11
Fate: 2
Corruption: 1
Insanity: 4

Skills:

Common Lore (Tech), Common Lore (Machine Cult), Forbidden Lore (Warp), Awareness, Common Lore (Adeptus Astra Telepathica), Forbidden Lore (Psykers), Invocation, Psyniscience, Scholastic Lore (Cryptology), Speak Language (High Gothic, Low Gothic), Literacy

Talents:

Technical Knock, Dark Soul, Jaded, Enemy (Ecclesiarchy), Unshakeable Faith, Pistol Weapon Training (Universal), Heightened Senses (Sound), Psy Rating 2

Traits:

Stranger to the Cult

Psyker Discpilines/Techniques:

Telepathic Discipline - Thought Sending, Astral Telepathy, Mind's Eye, Mind Probe, Delude, Compel

Equipment:

Laspistol (Best Craftsmanship), Shock Staff (Common Craftsmanship), Guard Flakk Armour, Charm, Void Suit, Micro-Bead, psy focus

Advances:

500xp for Alternate Origin Paths
100xp for Delude
200xp for Compel
350xp for Simple & Advanced Willpower
100xp for Literacy
250xp for Simple Perception

Hopefully you all like Victris. I did put some time into him. Seriously looking into taking him into Theosophamy and possibly Soul Ward later. Though I'll admit I have not a single idea as to what to put his acquistions towards. I will gladly take any suggestions or any comments on the character at all really.

LisztesFerenc

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on December 17, 2014, 05:52:39 PM
I think I am going to bow out folks.  I just don't see me being able to keep pace.

New games can often start with a flurry of enthusiasm that rarely indicates what the actual posting rate will be.

And nice character there deadmanshand, the only problem is you cannot spend 650XP on your origin path as you still only have 500XP. The extra 1,00XP only comes after the character is fully generated.

TheGlyphstone

So does that mean we have a net 1,500 XP to spend? 500 at generation, then 1000 to buy advances? I wasnt entirely clear.

LisztesFerenc

Yeah, sorry I meant to clarify that in an earlier post.

deadmanshand

Hmm... a minor enough change. Probably change out Chasing the Enemy for Tainted - Deviant Philosophy. Would work just as well - maybe better - for his story. Lose Hatred and gain Enemy (Ecclesiarchy). Probably drop Scholastic Lore (occult) and pick up a Simple Perception Advance.

TheGlyphstone

Cool. That give me 500 more XP to spend on Malachai...I could get Utility or Medic Mechadendrite Training. Or I could get EVEN MORE TOUGHNESS...if I can't shrug off bolt shells with my face, I am Not Tough Enough.

I'll hold for now and see if I can get a Utility Mechadendrite with a bonus acquisition. No point in spending my XP on an advance I can't use.

AndyZ

Crap in a hat - pretty much all of what I bought up had been spent that way.  Well, I'll figure out how to fix it up later.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

ChaoticSky

I shall use Bright Red for her speaking, the colour of blood, pain, and Khaine~

Still a WIP, Acquisitions, exp and bio left to do.
Nathi, The Lower Warden

You monkeigh have a saying; "In space, no one can hear you scream"... But I would say; thats such a waste.
Nathi, on the subject of spacing criminals sentenced to execution

Character Details
Name: Nathi
Race: Dark Eldar
Vile Pleasure: Lingering Dread (second Pain Token from failing Fear or Stun)
Career: Wych
Bio
Appearance
Build: Lithe
Height: 6'
Skin Colour: Ivory
Hair Colour: Jet black, thick, and thigh-length.
Eye Colour: Abyssal Blue

Nathi appears as a youthful Eldar, tall and supple in form, with pale ivory-hued skin, long jet-black hair that reaches down to her thighs in a thick mane and inhumanly deep black-blue eyes. A human so inclined might draw parallels in her appearance to a woman at the end of her teens, but Nathi is much older, though she is relatively young by the standards of her kind, a combination of genuine youth and regular 'feeding' produce her appearance.

Backstory
Nathi is a daughter of the Dark City of Comgorragh, where as a waif she fought her way into the famous Wych cults. To the young Nathi, they represented a place of (relative) safety from the dangers of life on the streets, as well as respect, and power, things every little Dark Eldar crave. How many commoners have looked at the Wyches and wished they could do that? Well Nathi had the will to actually see it done. She worked very hard in her training and began participating in the epic gladiatorial matches, earning renown for herself and the cult of which she was a part, The Riving Blades, for it was rare to see such a combination of youth and skill. However, time passed, and as Nathi grew in skill and fame, others began to see her as a threat for their own self-aggrantizing plots, and once more intrigue and survival became key parts of her life as she was forced to fend off ever more elaborate attempts to end her life, often from her own sisters. Of course, merely saying you have no interest in advancement is pretty much the same as stamping "IM PLOTTING TO KILL YOU" on ones forehead in bright red letters.

This irritating state of affairs was worsened by Nathi's own growing dissatisfaction with the arts of the Wych. As a body, they espouse perfection of the blade... but in reality, they are circus performers, not unlike the clowns of the Laughing God. Theatrics is their true focus, elaborate acrobatics and breathtakingly precise attacks meant to elicit maximum suffering, and so glut their audiences, and satisfy their patrons. But as Nathi was coming to think, this was broadly a waste... what was the point of entire intricate fighting styles that couldnt even be used in real combat? or normal gravity? Further more, as Nathi was discovering, there was more than one way to skin a ork, agony was one thing... but terror turned out to be a fine wine all its own. So she began shifting her style, she adopted heavier, more functional armour, and began trading the elegant acrobatics of her sisters for stealth, using darkness and unknown to torment her opponents, picking them off one by one until those that remained were gibbering fear-racked wrecks, begging for the horror to end. The crowds enjoyed her performances, titillated by their novelty, and Nathi's martial ability grew at a increasing pace, no longer shackled to impractical technique. In public, the Succubus of the Riving Blades lauded Nathi's inventiveness, portraying the younger Wych as her protegee. In private however, the entire cult, Succubus included, became increasingly hostile. Those beneath her sneered at the eccentric in their midst, her peers feared that she would surpass them entirely and therefore dash all their carefully laid ambitions, those above her resented that she was getting such attention, and risking making their carefully honed talents.... obsolete. The one thing they all agreed on though, was that Nathi's particular style could not be allowed to catch on and become popular.

However, before they could act upon that decision, Nathi fled, being gifted with more than two braincells to rub together, she saw it coming from a long ways off and prepared her escape accordingly. To make a criminally short story of this devious and epic turn of events; She evaded their trap and fled, joining on a raider to Realspace, and then shifted to station where her kind and the Monkeigh intermingled, in a place called the Screaming Vortex by humans. Finally, she rotated though a succession of human and eldar pirate vessels, to wind up far, far, away. Finally ending up on Footfall, whos people will trade with anyone. Here, while considering her options for the next leg of her journey, a opportunity arouse; she happened across a monkeigh Captain, or lordling, or merchant, or some such thing, the nuances of the title of 'Rogue Trader' escaped her at the time, but she did join his crew, seeing a opportunity to ply her skills and improve her arts in a environment more stable that that of her previous collusions. She spent much of her early days in his service exploring the ship and leaning its ways... eventually stumbling upon the Brig. Intrigued by this monkeigh holding pen, she queried the guards (politely) and discovered that the men where criminals, violators of the ship's laws, who were confined as a form of punishment.

It did not take her long after that to install herself as the new Warden (no, she didnt kill the old one) and make the brig into her personal funhouse, plying the criminals to satisfy her hunger for fear. The Trader eventually turned up and they had a chat about limiting the worst of her... entertainments if she wanted to stay there; Nathi agreed, abit put out to have her fun spoiled so, but she was still allowed to scare them, so it was tolerable. Indeed, as time passed, she came to value the limitations placed on her, likening it to killing with a sword vs killing with a scaple, anyone can kill with a sword, but to kill with a scaple requires far more skill, and her methods of generating terror have become far more refined and subtle, feeding her hunger without damaging her charges such that they cannot return to their duties once their time is up. And thus she has served the Dynasty for many years, the Lower Brig having become a dark tale mothers use to scare children, where even the most dire recidivists are turned unto model members of the crew..... unless they want to go back.

So she bids her time, refining her talents; martial and terror, and one day when she is ready she will return to the Dark City, and show them all how superior her ways really are~

The Thing In The Dark
Nathi is a what you might call a combat-purist Dark Eldar. She eschewed the chronic backstabbing and politic subterfuge to aspire to the archtype of a ideal killer, similar to the Wyches, or indeed, the Incubus, though her idealized warrior is quite a different creature from those martial devas and paragons. She is, quite simply, a terror right out of horror picts, emphasising stealth, darkness, and scare tactics, with a fighting style that alternates between precisely tormenting a foe... and vanishing them without a sound.

As you might imagine, she enjoys provoking fear, even trolling, for her own amusement and sustenance... and she does have a sardonic sense of humour, though her victims will rarely appreciate it, her allies could often find much to laugh about in watching her exploits... as long as they dont empathise too much. Beyond that, she socializes little with humans other than the Rogue Trader's retinue (except to unnerve them). 'Loyalty' isnt a word in the Dark Eldar tongue, but that does not mean shes flaky or unreliable, and at no point since joining the crew has she even given any indication of treasonous intentions... even when it may have appeared to benefit her to do so. She would say, shes motivated by a 'enlightened self interest' to maintain the current arrangement.

Characteristics
StatBaseRollModsGearTotal
WS2515+10*-50
BS254--29
Str255--30
T2012--32
Agi3015+5*-50
Int258--33
Per3012--42
WP2515--40
Fel2012--32
StatBaseRollModTotalCurrent
W65+11212/12
Fate1--11/1
*Indicates Total Advances or SCs

Movement: 10/20/30(35)/60(120)(Sprint)

Corruption: 0

Skills & Talents & Traits
Skills
=Dark Eldar
Intimidate
=Wych
Acrobatics
Awareness
Chem-Use
Dodge
Silent Move
Speak Language (Eldar, Dark Eldar)
=Acquired
Speak Language(Low Gothic)
Climb

Talents:
=Dark Eldar
-Heightened Senses (Hearing, Sight) [+10 tests involving the senses]
-Paranoia [+2 Init, GM can secretly test Per to notice hidden threats ]
-Catfall [test Ag when falling, each DoS subtracts AgB from distance fell for the purpose of damage]
-Sprint [Can increase Full Move by AgB, or 2x Run, +1 fatigue is used more than twice in a row]
-Jaded [Immune to mundane horror]
-Dark Soul [half penalty on Malig test]
=Wych
-Ambidextrous [No offhand penalty]
-Decadence [must fail TB number of T tests to pass out, +10 to resist addiction]
-Disturbing Voice [+10 scarytests, -10 friendly tests]
-Hard Target [-20BS to hit when Run or Charge]
-Melee Weapon Training (Primitive, Universal)
-Thrown Weapon Training (Universal)
=Acquired
-Exotic Weapon Training (Agonizer Talon)
-Quickdraw [Draw as Free]

Traits
-Dark Sight [No penalty for darkness]
-Unnatural Agility x2 [2x AgB]
-Non-Imperial [-10 all Imperial Lore tests]
-Speak Not Unto the Alien [-20 Fell vs Imperials]
-Power Through Pain [Gain Pain Token when living thing within PerB are killed, stunned, suffer nonlethal crit damage, fail fear or pinning tests, or otherwise expereince great pain. 8 pain tokens form one temp Fate Point]

Gear

=Weapons
Splinter Pistol (BC
Razorflail,
Eldar Plasma Grenade (2.

=Armour
Wychsuit

=Misc
Micro-bead
Translator Unit
Kill-Recorder,
Nightmare Philtre (2. )

=Not Carried

EXP Expenditures & Acquisitions

EXP
EXP remaining: 1000
Total EXP Spent: 5000
=Starting
Speak Language(Low Gothic) [200]
Exotic Weapon Training (Agonizer Talon) [300]
=Rank 1 (5000-6999) [0/999]
+1000
-Simple Agi Adv [100]
-Simple WS Adv [100]
-Intermediate WS Adv [250]
-Quickdraw [200]
-Climb [200]

Acquisitions

Gm Stuff

Dark Eldar And You!
Now, DE are somewhat unpopular among RT players, who cite their sociopathy and sadism as being caustic to a party of non-evil Explorers. This is not wrong, but there are ways around it, supported by fluff and mechanics. The first at most obvious is that Stereotypes are just that, stereotypes. They are not universally true and in all their billions (and there are, billions) I'm sure there are non-evil DE who either do the reluctant vampire thing, the pure hunter thing, or the drizzt thing. Playing one of these however is, I think, perfectly valid reason for a player to be flogged, flayed, and then shot. On a similar note, some propose using DE rules to produce some other form of Eldar, though again, I feel this is somewhat inappropriate, since DE are physiologically reliant on a diet of suffering to sustain themselves and this is represented in the rules, simply ditching the whole pain token thing seems like trying to have ones cake and eat it too.

Instead, I plan to play a proper DE, one who is amoral and evil, but not stupid. She favours a diet of fear, rather than pain, much like how a drunk might prefer scotch to rum. And, this is my favourite part; her role on the ship. For her purposes, she installs herself as the warden of the ships brig/main brig, this gives her a population of criminals to torment, getting her fix, without killing or marauding through the ship, in mechanical terms I like to write this as a custom Ship Role (Warden) that nullifies her morale penalty (those who obey the regs and dont engage in criminality have nothing to fear from her) to the ship and gives a modest increase to discipline. Verdict on this is of course, up to the GM.

It is worthwhile to keep in mind that she doesnt kill her prisoners, and she doesnt torment them 24/7 either, people dull out if you keep them on edge all the time. Shes not a glutton or a blunt hammer, her tastes in fear are far more refined than that. Instead, she will do things like; during meal time, bring two prisoners in adjacent cells fine steak dinners.... one of which is poisoned with a nightmare toxin, and then sit back and watch them, grinning, as they try to get the other to eat their's first, until hunger and aroma propels one of them to take that first terrified bite..... ah, exquisite. Of course, attempted jailbreaks or assault on her person make the involved prisoners fair game for some more intensive fun. Naturally, re-offences, career criminals, and similar such folks are much less common among the crew than is to be expected.

Given that she is basically living in a flying buffet, where she doesn't have to worry (seriously) about a knife in the back, and has ample opportunities to develop both sides of her craft; fear and combat, she really considers her current situation very ideal, one can get used to humans, if one must. As such shes well aware that its in her best interest to maintain her current arrangement to ensure her long term prosperity. All together, shes the NE member of a TN/NG/CG party, played in the very best possible way; her distressing talents turned reliably towards the party's goals, driven by the kind of enlightened self interest that holds to the long term benefit of working together with the group, rather than engaging in disruptive dickery.

And dont try to tell me that her former Wych cult doesnt provide a interesting plot hook for a enemy. :smalltongue:

AndyZ

Changed my stuff so I've only put less than 500xp into my path.  Sadly, I lost the three points of Profit Factor I was giving the group, though.