Updated Topics showing my posts?

Started by Oniya, January 25, 2009, 01:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

Until today, when I refreshed the "'Show new replies to my posts' screen, it would show only those threads that I had posted in, but was not the most recent poster.  Today, I'm noticing that when I post in a thread, it's showing up as a 'New reply'.  Is this a bug or a feature?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Paradox

You mean, after you post in a thread, your own post shows up as unread in that list?

It's been doing that to me as well.

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Maeven

test

Hah. I hadn't noticed that and I don't think it was doing it before but it is now.

What a wicked game to play, to make me feel this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to let me dream of you.
What a wicked thing to say, you never felt this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to make me dream of you. 

The Cardinal Rule

Also, threads in Updated Topics are either taking really long to go away or are having to be manually marked as read at least twice to go away, for me.

Paradox

Quote from: karmatrik on January 26, 2009, 10:27:57 AM
Also, threads in Updated Topics are either taking really long to go away or are having to be manually marked as read at least twice to go away, for me.

I've been experiencing the same thing.

We should tell Veks.

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Paradox

I told Veks; he wants to know if it's still doing it, so this is a test post.

(let me know if it's still happening to you, Oniya)

Maeven

What a wicked game to play, to make me feel this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to let me dream of you.
What a wicked thing to say, you never felt this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to make me dream of you. 

The Cardinal Rule

Oniya

It happened to me earlier today - I'll edit in a moment if it happens with this post.

EDIT:  It did -not- happen with this post.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Paradox

This wasn't happening to me every time, so I guess I won't know for a bit if it's actually fixed or not. If I don't reply, assume it's working. :P

Vekseid

I installed an opcode cache last night, particularly APC (Alternative PHP Cache). Unfortunately since I'm using mod_fcgid, APC stores data separately for each and every fcgi process. Since Elliquiy will be running anything between one to two dozen of them at a time, that means that when it tries to store and retrieve data about calls it doesn't consider particularly important, it may actually not be calling relevant data, since you can't be certain which process you'll be accessing.

Like what posts you have read >_>

I've switched the opcode cache to eAccelerator which does not have this issue, though it does have the flaw of not actually storing shared memory information. It -seems- that I should be able to safely do this, though, since the opcode cache for Elliquiy appears to be independent of the one for the other site I'm running on this server.

...which is made of win and awesome <_<

I thought we spoke English on this website XD

Paradox

Well it was doing this before last night, but either way, it's fixed now!

Thanks Vekseid.

Vekseid

Quote from: Paradox on January 26, 2009, 11:17:43 AM
Well it was doing this before last night, but either way, it's fixed now!

Thanks Vekseid.

Well, night before last, whatever :-p

Quote from: karmatrik on January 26, 2009, 11:16:57 AM
I thought we spoke English on this website XD

Sorry, I figured I should at least try to explain? : /

Quote from: Vekseid on January 26, 2009, 11:19:25 AM
Sorry, I figured I should at least try to explain? : /

Naw, I'm just kiddin'. I actually did sort of understand it after you explained it! Thanks for all your incredible hard work. *hugs*

Vekseid

Well to explain in more detail, Elliquiy 'runs on' code written in php, which is called an interpreted language. So the script might include a lot of raw text looking like:

$displayname = '<span class="username">'.$context['user']['name'].'</span>';

Which basically just places your username (presumably) inside a set of html tags. This is understandable by a human, of course, but a computer needs to jump through some hoops to make it out, translating the various operators and values there into what are called opcodes - what the code eventually becomes when it finally gets run.

Namely, there are two string constant references (the span tags in between the quotes), two memory location references (the $ sign denotes a variable in php... I'll spare you the discussion about pointers, arrays and maps), two string concatenation operations (the periods), and an assignment operation (the equals sign).

I don't know how this opcode cache works specifically. If it actually converted it to the raw machine code, it would define the strings with pointers, create a function for the string concatenation and a pointer for that function, and return the result of the second one as the assignment. I could type up the x86 assembly for this but it would not be very helpful and I'd probably make a mistake somewhere anyway : )

So any call to that specific line after it's been cached would then know it only needs to crab that one variable, the rest of it it's already 'compiled'.

Opcode caches normally allow you to do even more than that, you could actually store your username for retrieval from memory later on, presuming it has a means of remembering you. Which is a lot faster than reading it from the database.

Which is where APC failed - there are sixteen separate instances of php running for elliquiy right now. The opcode cache was running independently for each one, so if you accessed the same one twice in a row (roughly a one in sixteen chance) - awesome! Otherwise, the variable it retrieves is not necessarily going to be the right one.

...and I hope that didn't confuse the issue.

Oniya

For what it's worth, it's not a terribly big deal if it does show me as the last poster on my threads, just wondering if it was 'works as designed' or not.

Haibane

I guess the problem I am having must be linked to this. I use the 'My Topics' button and when I post in a topic and hit refresh it shows a new post. But on checking the thread, the last post is mine that I did just 10 seconds before. I was in a topic tonight that did this to me 3 times before the pink highlighted 'new post' status went away.