Interest Check: Wildcards themed game

Started by Kyra tg, July 08, 2018, 05:22:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kyra tg

Any takers? It’s a down and dirty universe. Super heroes are known as Aces but have to deal with real life and mundane stuff. Not many wear Lycra although there may be vigilantes. Also open to jokers and joker aces but expect some serious discrimination. Nats and Latents also welcome.

Set during an alternate history of post-World War II, the Wild Card Universe focuses those affected by an airborne alien virus released over New York City in 1946 spreads globally and has periodic outbreaks. The virus, designed to rewrite DNA, was developed as a bioweapon by a noble family on the planet Takis, and it is taken to Earth to test on humans, who are genetically identical to the people of Takis. Dr. Tachyon, a member of this family, objects and attempts to stop them. However, his attempt crashes their ship, and ultimately the virus is released over Manhattan.

The virus affects each individual differently, and it becomes known as the Wild Card virus because of these "random and unpredictable" symptoms. In some it remains latent, manifesting under extreme stress. For those that manifest it kills 90% and mutates the remaining percentage. Of that remainder, 9% are Jokers, who develop minor or crippling physical conditions. 1% are Aces, who remain human or mostly human in appearance but develop superhuman abilities; Aces whose abilities are too trivial or specific to be generally valuable are called Deuces. There are also joker aces.

I like the period around jump the rich but am open to other eras. Swarm. The Astronomer. I also like the idea of a test terrorist attack of the virus as a precursor to a more significant attack. Dealing with the changes then going after the bad guys...

keyotess

By accepting what is and making the best use of every situation, life can be fulfilled without a constant demand for more. --Wen Tzu

In writing, a flaw is not the interesting part of a character.  What is interesting is how a person overcomes a flaw.  I want to read how a person overcomes a flaw, not how the flaw overcomes the person.

My story contribution: FemFour: superheroine, Futa, NC-H

On/Offs: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=335439.0

Kyra tg

Bump ;)

Hopefully we get some more Keyotess!

TFcommando

Big Wild Cards fan here, just read and loved Low Chicago.

One thought... American Hero from Inside Straight, the reality show with Aces competing in superheroic tasks became a big hit.  So naturally, there would be knockoffs of it... other reality shows with a super action theme.  Picture a Survivor type show with Aces looking for hidden temple treasure or terrorists in the jungle when it becomes real.

A tantric sex mage similar to Fortunato could be fun (though perhaps less OP), or a cheetah-themed speedster. 
Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in
Canon Character Roleplay and System-based Roleplay

Kyra tg

Tfcommando - I assume you’re ok with a nat to wild card change based on your handle. I’ve only recently downloaded the newer stuff. I’m not up to date on all my reading but anticipate no real involvement with official universe characters so this might not be an issue. Your ideas have possibilities though ;)

Angie

Hmmm, I might have the chance to bring back Lightwalker, the light-based EMT I made for a game like this...
Avatar is by Lemonfont. Will remove it if he asks me to.

Come check the Cyberpunk Images Thread!

TFcommando

Quote from: Kyra tg on July 10, 2018, 09:19:08 PM
Tfcommando - I assume you’re ok with a nat to wild card change based on your handle. I’ve only recently downloaded the newer stuff. I’m not up to date on all my reading but anticipate no real involvement with official universe characters so this might not be an issue. Your ideas have possibilities though ;)

Thanks!  The nice thing about a reality show idea is they have a new cast every season, so it'd be a good reason to have a bunch of original Aces together in one spot. 

I do like transformation, yes. :)  Though a major aspect of the books IMHO is how Aces and Jokers are used to the ins and outs of their powers and/or bodies, down to the trivial quirks about them.  That might not come out in a sudden change.  And by the numbers, you'd need a fairly large party to have a party's worth of Aces and Jokers after an outbreak. 

Would this be a system-based game?  Huge system fan too.
Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in
Canon Character Roleplay and System-based Roleplay

Arcanist

Plants big flag of interest.

Yes please
Choice is but an Illusion. Consequences are however real.

Kyra tg

I’m not so familiar with system based games. Was keen to avoid rng and technical rules. I played marvel in the late 80’s but not the wildcards rpg.