Bellum Venatus (Interest Check and Organization)

Started by swordwind, January 27, 2011, 01:50:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

swordwind

Bellum Venatus

You stand on the threshold of greatness; looking out upon the lands before you. You have worked hard and your men have been trained. Years of planning, sacrifice, and pain have all lead to this moment. You are going to prove yourself, and to the rest of the world that you are no mere mortal, you are here to show that you will be a legend, that the people of this world will speak of for the age’s to come. But others are in your way, and they must be brought under your heel and dealt with, in time, of course. For now the opening moves must be played. Where will your first step take you?

Greetings once again people of the E. I’m here to try something that I haven’t seen yet here. A war based RPG, where you, the player, will take on the role of the leader of a small band of warriors and forge yourself an empire. Yes it sounds complex, but rest easy, a great deal of the work is done with just a simple idea.

You the player will be taking on the role of a person that will make the world around him into a place of unknown wonders, or terror’s, while other players will be attempting to one up you on the field of battle. This game will take place upon a map, once all the creations of all the players has been dealt with. But for now lets get into the meat of it.

The Armies:
What warlord wouldn’t want an army to lead and follow his command to rule the world and make his mark? None that I can think of and the same goes for you. Here is where the creation of your armies will take place. Armies are broken into three groups that will fight one another on the field of battle.

Infantry:
The bread and butter of all armies. From lowly peasants to ogres an army needs foot soldiers. To make it simpler here’s a general layout of the soldiers and their ranks that will take place throughout the game.  You will start with the lowest ranking soldiers.

Light Infantry- The basic run of the mill soldier, fresh recruits with little experience in the field of battle.  Wield light weapons and armor
Medium Infantry- Experience soldiers, that have servived a number of engagements, wield heavy armor and swords and shields.
Heavy Infantry- Veteran soldiers that have a number of season and battles under their belts, wield some of the best armor and weapons. 
Elite Infantry- Master’s of war and battle, these soldiers understand the ways of war and know when and where to strike and enemy. Wields weapons of remarkable qualities

Cavalry- The wrecking ball of most armies of the world these units will devastate unprepared armies in moments with a single charge.  In addition to their strength they move quicker and travel farther then most armies on the field.

Cavalry – Your basic horseman with light weapons and armor.
Medium Cavalry- A soldier on an armored mount and heavy equipment then the basic horseman.
Heavy Calvary- Fully armored soldier and mount that knows the field of battle.
Elite Calvary- Master soldier riding a mount of equal skill.

Archer’s: Why attack a foe up close when you can down him from afar? Archers make this possible and allow a number of units to fall far before they reach the main line of battle. That is if they can get into place fast enough.
Archer’s- A soldier with a ranged weapon, knows how to aim and shoot.
Medium Archer’s- An experienced soldier with a ranged weapon that knows how to shoot and kill.
Heavy Archer’s- A veteran soldier with a ranged weapon that knows the way to shoot and kill an enemy with skill. 
Elite Archer’s- A master soldier with a exceptional weapon that knows how to aim, shoot, kill, and repeat, over and over again.

Field Support: Most armies have secondary support before a battle comes into play, these units play a direct role in the outcome of battles but not during the battle itself. From ruining fortifications to setting up ambushes or traps, few armies march without some knowledge of the enemy they go to face.

Sappers- Soldiers that know how to lay basic traps on the field of battle.
Trapper’s- Soldiers that know how to lay complex traps on the field of battle.

Scouts- Solders that know how to find the layout of the battle field and relay important information to soldiers that are going to fight upon it.

Medics- Healers on the field of battle.

Artillery: When the armies you face are just to dug in and you just need to slam them into oblivion you call out the big guns. This of course is your artillery. Built to crush structural defenses they work just as well on flesh and bone. But are rarely accurate.
Artillery- Equipment or beasts or people that can throw large objects at a short distance to affect soldiers.
Medium Artillery- Equipment or beasts or people that can throw large objects at a medium distance to affect soldiers.
Heavy Artillery- Equipment or beasts or people that can thrown large objects at a long distance to affect soldiers.

Boats: A possible idea. I’m toying with it for now.
Ships- Vessels that can be used to affect coastal towns and launch raids into enemy towns.
Warships- Vessels that can attack and damage soldiers within towns and other ships on the coast.

Unique- A special trait for your race/group/organization, this can be anything that you can think of but it will pass through me before I apply it to this game.

Battle: You are all wondering how this will all work out. So I’ll break it down for you. You are the player controlling these armies and they will be moving around a map. As the game continues your armies will grow in size,  in time they will even run into other groups and will come to blow’s. When this happens two things are needed. One of those being a post with a battle plan, the second being the soldiers that will be fighting.

Example: Lord A finds Lord B
Lord A has 3 infantry and has them attack Lord B
Lord B has 1 archer and one infantry he sends them out to fight
Battle ensures
Now to break it down

Infantry beat Cavalry,
Archer’s beat Infantry,
Cavalry beat’s Archer’s

When facing the same army it is decided by your post.

Example:
Lord A win’s the battle but loses 2 infantry to Lord B 
Why?
Lord A has far more then lord B but Lord be has an archer unit
Based on the post Lord B shields his archers with his infantry while Lord A attacks. Archers kill off a unit of infantry
Lord A 2 remaining infantry attack Lord B’s infantry, Kill Lord B infantry, Then kill Lord B’s Archer’s but not before Lord B Archer’s down another band of Infantry.

Now a great deal of this is on post quality, it affects your battle post.

Field Support also affects the battlefield based on what you deploy to the field that will support your soldiers. Giving bonuses to your soldiers and your chances of victory.

Combat Rules Advanced:(For people with questions)
I know each of you is coming up with some super idea for your units that you will be fielding, for super-human mage meteor maddeness to rats that use poison. Well I have it all explained to you here. Combat is broken down by the units that are fielded and the post that guide them. Since I can only read a post I'll explain the units you will field. But before you know this chart you have to know one thing.

Archers have an advantage over Infantry
Infantry have an advantage over Calvary
Cavalry have an advantage over Archers

Inf  Arch   Cav
Infantry: [1]  [1]     [2]
Archers: [2]   [1]     [1]
Cavalry: [1]   [2]     [1]

That's combat in a nutshell for everything. You have fire mage's as infantry or T-Rex's on skateboards shooting laser's from their mouth's as Cav it is all listed within that simple chart. Now I know that you are thinking, well that doesn't make "my" idea for an army interesting. So we have a special unit that only your army will have. Special units follow a different stat then a normal units. See below

Inf   Arch   Cav
Reef Crabs (Cavalry)     [2]    [3]     [1]

Reef Crabs:
Found off the coasts of Rill, these beasts were quickly assimilated into Lord General Kuaf's army as they marched into battle. These unit's quickly showed that they have a  unique trait in taking out infantry with their large claws and made even faster work of archer's then his normal cavalry. Sadly their one fault seemed to be when faced with other unit's of it's size or larger. But reguardless of the minor fault they were a welcome addition.

Special Units need 3 things. A name, a unit type, and then their point allocation. Special unit's have 6 points you can give them that need to be broken down into the following groups, each group must have 1 point in it. 
Infantry
Archer
Calvary

Update: Veteran Units: The more battles your soldiers are in the stronger they become, when your units gain experience in battle they become stronger. This will be seen on the map with changes done to your units and a little chevron over his head. 

Lands: Armies require lands to live upon and grow. Without them all armies would dissolve. Land isn’t something we will work with to much right now as we are just setting up here. But I’ll inform you later once we have you the player’s set up.

Updated Map

You: Yes you. The player. If you made it this far your bored or maybe even interested within this. So what I need from you is a character. Anything that you can think of, a demon, a human, a anthropomorphic being, anything. You are going to become a legend and no one is going to stop you. So who are you?

Name:
Race:

Unique:
Nation Colors:
Starting Units: [Start with up to 5 on the first tier of all unit types, no specials]
Land Name:

With that filled out I need to know something more. What about your soldiers? Your troops? Your group? I’m sure you took note of the uniquely lacking detail unique spot up above. Well this is it. Your ace in the hole the one thing that no one else has but you do. What is that? This will decide what unknown bonus that your group alone will get. What is it?

Lands: The point of this game is to take over land, along with crushing your enemies. Now I know you can't see the map, nor will you yet, but I best explain it unless confusion sets in. Lands will generate wealth, wealth is spent on armies, to ether improve your soldiers, give you more soldiers or bribe other players into assisting you. Each land, for now, will generate a single income a piece. 

Land Update & New Rules
A new rule has been declared, A unit v land breakdown of unit creation. It is as follows.

Lands generate one wealth

When you hold two lands you can create 1 special.

Example: Lord A has 3 lands. Because Lord S has 3 he can get a special unit and 3 normal units.
If lord A takes another land he could make 2 special units and 4 normal units.

If you hold 4 lands: You gain access to single artillery unit

Bridges: You cannot cross a river without holding or taking a bridge upon the map.

A players Turn:
How this game will be played is as follows.
You will post, meaning what your character is doing over the course of the battle, talking, planning, attempting to talk to other players, etc.

Next you will declare your move actions, meaning your army (and leader) will push out of their lands and attack another. I would like a name for the land you are attacking from you along with your plan of assault. You can only move 1 square a turn.

If you happen to run into enemy forces while your move takes place, like someone attacks your lands that you moved out of, then your land will be defenseless and will be destroyed AKA taken over. Or the reverse happens if the enemy is attacked by you.

Battle calculations are figured by me, losses and experience is rewarded thought-out the course of the game.

Once all this is down you will train or build units, You build units with wealth, your leader gives you four soldiers and your lands give you one. Your lands can only create 2 normal 1 special and 1 field support a turn, should you gain artillery then I'll declare the land within your empire can build it.

The end of your post can be a summary of your actions. Example: Lord A moves to land 1(Rill), attacks with 2 Infantry, build infantry in Till

Questions: Now if you have taken the time to fill this out or even read this far I’d like to thank you. But if I’m going to get this up and running I’ll need to know if your confused about anything right now. If so drop me a PM or post away right here. I look forwards to see what this turns into.

Eshva

Hi

I am definetely very interested in this. It sounds like a load of fun, and there are few things I can think of that would be more exciting than leading an army to victory over my enemies, and evnetually conquer a large chunk of the world.

I will put some thought into my character and army style and send you a PM with the results. Also feel free to write me if you have any questions to me before then.

I hope others will join, and I appologise in advance that I will have to crush, rout, capture and enslave you and your feeble soldiers and put them to work in the mines that deliver metal and stone for my unstoppable hordes. (yes, that was a challenge :P)

Such is war...

“Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and adventures are the shadow truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes and forgotten”
Neill Gaiman

Miles Trent

I see enormous potential for something different. In my opinion, theres not much room for battle tactics and strategy when it comes to the outcome. Even the smallest of armies can beat the largest with a bit of wit.

I have interest in this, but the balancing system, however fair, seems a bit iffy for me. Im a fan of Mongol barbarian hordes and that idea doesnt seem to suit this roleplay very much. Will be watching though.

EDIT: Or I could just create an an army of the dead. :P
Using a real person's picture is like stealing their soul.... Consult your local roleplay doctor before proceeding. :D
My O & Os
GM One on One Thread

swordwind

First thanks for the interest.

Second, I'll answer your questions.

As I stated, you can make any group that you wish. So anything is possible. But first you will need to create it. If your worried take it PM's and I'll update the main thread in time.

Miles Trent

Very well.  :-) I'll put up some questions for discussion. Please excuse some of the ancient military war buffering. History and its fantasy possibilities are part of my all time favs but I'll cut down as much as I can. I think these should go here so that everyone who reads it would know. Wouldnt want your inbox swamped with too many questions.

My first question is directed to cavalry. From what thats been put up, I speculate that a majority of the initial idea is based upon a broad range in European Western culture, where a majority of cavalry in any given time were mainly close range combatants. However, my question is focused on the possibility of horse archers, javelineers and similar skirmishers on horseback. The Mongols of the steppe and some native american tribes in pre-imperial America were famous for them. I was wondering if the cavalry and archer army classes could be mixed together somehow.

Secondly, the possibility of batte chariots or war elephants, as used by various Eastern and Middle Eastern war cultures. Would these two be considered heavy cavalry or are they considered as unique? If so, could they also be mixed together with the archer class?

Thirdly, the possibility of espionage. I know the roleplay is likely to take on the aspect of some very heavy combat but of course, with every force who wants the upper hand over the others, sending a spy or two would help in many ways.

Fourthly, is this roleplay going to be based upon low fantasy or high fantasy ideas? Either is fine to me, but I have a preference for high fantasy. If so, how would the issue of magic be looked at?

Finally, I need to know how commited you want us players to be. At the moment, Im suffering from a spell of mental blocks and have yet to find a cure. At most, I can probably manage a post once every two or three days or more.
Using a real person's picture is like stealing their soul.... Consult your local roleplay doctor before proceeding. :D
My O & Os
GM One on One Thread

Eshva

Quote from: Miles Trent on January 28, 2011, 03:38:34 AM
My first question is directed to cavalry. From what that's been put up, I speculate that a majority of the initial idea is based upon a broad range in European Western culture, where a majority of cavalry in any given time were mainly close range combatants. However, my question is focused on the possibility of horse archers, javelineers and similar skirmishers on horseback. The Mongols of the steppe and some native american tribes in pre-imperial America were famous for them. I was wondering if the cavalry and archer army classes could be mixed together somehow.

I've had some good use of horse archers while playing various version of Total War, but I think the beauty of the original idea is that it's quite simple.

Horse archers are cool, but if we make them too cool, everyone will have an army of them. I suppose they could be ridiculously expensive, but they would still serve to complicate things for the referee of the battles.

I am all for making a more complex system, but I am not the one who has to adjudicate it.

It could be fun to just work with what we have already, keep it simple, and let posting handle the rest, or we could make them a special unit that can be obtained later when we are a bit more used to how things work.

The same goes for the rest of the units mentioned. We could all imagine unbeatable or specialized units to win the day, but there is some charm to just having a simple base and letting the rest be up to tactics, terrain, spies and maneuvers. Then the general who wins is the superior strategist and not the one whose race have flying dragon riders of doom as the mainstay of their armies.

Just my thoughts, I'm open to anything, and I'll find a way to beat those horse archers if I have to ;)
“Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and adventures are the shadow truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes and forgotten”
Neill Gaiman

swordwind

Miles Trent: You will be amazed at the simple answer that I have for you. But to explain I'll break down the combat system for you for a visual. Please Review the combat section above for your military questions.  Question 1 and 2 are answered their. 

As for your spy questions that would be broken down by scouts, they would, forgive the pun, scout and area. They can also be broken down as assassin's or spy. Getting useful information for the battle's to come or disrupting the enemy armies field support. Does this mean you can blow up and destroy the enemy army enroute to you lands, no. But you can aid your battle with said army with your posts.

The game will take place across all fantasy realms, So high is a most likely going to be the prime selection from most players. No machine gun's or Gatling gun's of any nature of course.

Look at it this way. This game will have a map and X number of player's (spread the word*cough*) so the map will need to be updated as you move, I shall have it broken down by my player's available to everyone. Thus a date will be set when I shall update the map with the player's move's. If you don't post by then when the map is updated, well I'll just have to say your armies are thinking really hard on their next plan of attack. Now I won't be unfair to my player's but I won't take people that just don't post after 4 days or more, as all games burn if player's don't play. Now if the board comes alive with side posts and action the map update will only happen when I believe it should. So you have player's talking and having a good time then the map update could well slowed. But you can't expect me to ignore 4 players that post well and want an update when they have to wait on another player. I don't have an issue with someone that doesn't post for 2 days, but after 3 or even 4? Patience is just none existent ant in forums and I will have to side with the masses. But just because your delayed doesn't mean your out of the fight. I'll work with you if it becomes to bad.   

Eshva:
The mechanic's that you have just stated are in fact truth. Thus the rule of unique armies came into being and are explained farther in the combat section.

Eshva

Awesome, I really like the way the system works and how special units are handled, it does not need to be more complicated than this :)

I'll PM you with the details of my character and army when I've put some thought into it.

As I am pretty new here, I don't know a lot of people and thus am not really sure how to recruit more people (other than to keep posting to this thread to keep it fresh)

cheers

Eshva
Neill Gaiman

Miles Trent

I agree. It doesnt have to be complicated at all. :) All questions answered for now. I'll have a think over my warlord and his starting army.

As for recruiting some other potential players, keeping the thread fresh is the best way to get it noticed. Welcome to the great beyond, Eshva. Hope you enjoy your time with us in E.
My O & Os
GM One on One Thread

Eshva

Hi Miles

Thank you for the welcome. I'm already loving it here.

I look forward to meeting you on the field of battle :)
Neill Gaiman

swordwind

Simple and quick are the ways to get a game up and running. In time, not to long I hope, I'll have a map for the players to look upon. At that time you can get an understanding of the world and then we can move on to the next step.

Eshva

Ok, I have a handful of ideas for armies now. Some with sketches to go along with them, should I post the final ideas here or send you a PM with it?

Neill Gaiman

swordwind

PM them first, pending on the army build up I'd then say it's ok to post.

Rules have been modified, also, a map. Pick a land for your person to start in. Give it a name

swordwind

adifferenceinsize

As per your recruiting, I am somewhat interested in the idea you have here. I am currently waffling between a few possible setups... seems everyone will go with horse archers, so perhaps instead a good Greco-Roman field force would work. Powerful ground troops, decent support units, and a strong background in engineering for logistical support and defense. Sounds pretty boss to me.

swordwind

Sounds like an interesting idea, take note of the unique and special unit rules. If you have any questions please toss me a pm

Ironwolf85

Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

swordwind

Alright then. Nice to have you aboard. If you have any questions at all toss me a line, I'd be happy to help you.

Ironwolf85

to answer the horse archer question, horse archers are just mounted fast archers, they are powerful against heavy calvary, and heavy infantry. but they are EXTREMELY vunrible to smart spearmen, footarchers (bigger target to hit), and fortifications. Are vunrible in forests, and deadly on flat planes.
I will add more later

Name: Thrax Dythral
Race: Beastial, Equine type

http://66.90.101.78/ehg/image.php?f=97b25f7ce4e9238f9f1691b9bcc72c4061d9bf6c-74201-646-876-jpg&t=360186-3f2f5bd3c0c131c6c899e02371274e4cd0905436&n=AC2001_gideonjutland.jpg

Bio: Born ther son of a Beastial barbarian warchief thrax was introdouced to brutality from a young age, his father's head on the pike of another tribe, his home burned out, his family forced to flee. They wound up as refugees, trapped between the River Rhule and the brutality of their homeland. Selling their self-respect, services, and even their children. Simply for enough food to survive.
Thrax like many teens joined an auxilera unit just to get away fro the refugee camps, fighting for money, and sending supplies home. Thrax thrived, even getting an education while enlisted. He rose to the rank of Captian before being dismissed from the auxillia.
When he returned home to the same poverty, brutality, and starvation, he had had enough. he and the returning veterans decided to put their skills to use, moving north to reclaim the outlands from the warring tribes.
Five years later the Nation of Allioque was born from the ashes of seven tribes.
Thrax and the Warlord's council dominate the small nation. their reform minded policies are trying to turn the outlands from bands of warring barbarians, into a civilized, if warlike state. With an emphisis on education, and the written word. By Thrax's death the nation might actually be established, but Thrax needs the money from campains to fund reforms at home, and shut up the old guard. so conquest it has to be.

Unique: Akin to goths or Saxons, they are only now beginning to adopt military tradition and abandon the old bloody traditions, Blood sacrifices for example are now outlawed.
Their weapons and armor are actually well developed, as only thousands of years of war can make, and they can draw on monsterious units, such as minotaurs as seige weapons. most of their units are heavy hitting but lack organization and are irregular, not standardized.
Light infantry: Warband: little more than an angry ill diciplined mob of warriors with swords, spears, and leather armor, their numbers and Zeal are their biggest advantage.
Medium: Night Raiders: fast and agile for medium infantry "Night Raiders" is the generic term for experienced warbands dressed in brigantine, usually with sword and shield, their generic name comes from their love of hitting towns at night. but they are excellent at blending in during a battle.
Heavy: Golden Band: highly diciplined elite warriors, armed with the best a village can give them, they come from various sub-species, but are the only standardized troops in Thrax's army.
Special unit: Minotaur, known for their rage and skill with an axe, Beastials are not above bending these massive, savage, warriors to their advantage. They cause terror in enemies and can tear through a castle gate with their bare hands.
Archers[1] Infantry[3] Calvery [2] (they have a hard time getting into hand to hand with archers, but if they reach their destination treat as infantry) they can also be used as siege weapons.

Archers:
Headmen: warriors that throw the heads of dead foes at infantry, being soaked in Lyme the heads burn like acid when they hit explosed flesh causing pain and terror in foes.
Crossbow warband: The new faith on the rise in the Outlands is the White Light, spreading from a human monistary they have long provided crossbows to the waring tribes, and now Thrax's troops draw upon them as a resource, easy to train, they use crossbows En-mass, allowing them to pound armored troops even calvary, as long as they can keep them at long range.
Special ace in the hole: Reformation, quick breeding. Beastials tend to breed a lot and quickly replenish their numbers when not in combat
Lands: Number 9 on the map, northern outlands, each tribal army makes it's own flag, but as a sign of standardization, they all use Azure blue signs on a Orange background
Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

swordwind

Thanks for the input. I'm currently working on the map as we speak. I'll have an update soon. I think all I need is 2 more and I can get this game rolling.

adifferenceinsize

Dumb question... on the force disposition and the 'point spread', is there a ruleset in place for determining that ourselves, or is this something where we discuss what we're thinking and have you 'stat us out'?

swordwind

You pick it.

Example: You have 6 points to place into 3 slots, all slots require 1 point in them

Slot 1 = Infantry x+1 
Slot 2 = Archers x+1
Slot 3 = Calvary x+1

So you could have Inf 1 Arch 1 Cav 4 or 3/2/1 or 2/2/2 or any kind as long as you have a point in each.

All special units require a unit type that they are, so are the Infantry, Archers, Calavry etc.

Eshva

Will there be neutral units on the unowned lands surrounding our armies to begin with?

Also, I am still unsure about scouts, zappers and trappers. will they be mainly for posts, automatically included in our armies, or do we have to buy them for points as well?

Neill Gaiman

swordwind

Field support units will be bought with points just like units. Also based on the amount of people I shall be starting this off soon. So all I need atm is one other player. Just yell at one of your freinds on here and I will be able to start this.

TheHangedOne

A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!