News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

DnD 3.5 Group Roleplay (Closed to new players)

Started by Decrepitdan, June 20, 2010, 11:15:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ff

Ok neat, I'll probably join the non-gestalt one then.

(Although I've noticed gestalt is popular around E in general, so if anyone wants to explain why they like it...perhaps I'm missing something.)

WyzardWhately

Quote from: ff on June 21, 2010, 06:36:28 PM

(Although I've noticed gestalt is popular around E in general, so if anyone wants to explain why they like it...perhaps I'm missing something.)

It's a different play experience.  3.x has fairly tightly focused classes, such that each class has a thing they do.  If you are playing a character of a class, it's very difficult to step outside your niche.  Extensive multiclassing tends to cripple spellcasting PCs, so it doesn't help to alleviate this as much as one might think.

So, Gestalt PCs let the characters be more well-rounded and "heroic" feeling, without raising the overall power level so much.  It doesn't usually make PCs much *stronger* than they would be in a normal game, but it does make them less helpless outside of a single area of competency.

So, it's a lot of fun if you've played a great deal of 3.x, and would like to try a character who breaks out of the singular-area-of-focus model.
Look!  I have an ons and offs list now!  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=13580.0
It's still really sketchy, though.
Here are my dice rolls: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/player/WyzardWhately/

Hunter

Quote from: ff on June 21, 2010, 06:36:28 PM

Honestly, I've never heard the term applied to DnD before so you're one up on me.

Chreestafer

are you still looking for players in this? if so ill join also is there a link for this book of erotic characters or whatever it is?
“The Doctor: This is bad, I don't like this. [kicks console and yells in pain] Never use force, you just embarrass yourself. Unless you're cross, in which case... always use force!
Amy: Shall I run and get the manual?
The Doctor: I threw it in a supernova.
Amy: You threw the manual in a supernova? Why?
The Doctor: Because I disagreed with it! Now stop talking to me when I'm cross!”
Ons and Offs
F-List

WyzardWhately

Quote from: Hunter on June 21, 2010, 06:55:00 PM
Honestly, I've never heard the term applied to DnD before so you're one up on me.

It's an option from Unearthed Arcana. 

You more or less advance in two classes at once.  That is, you get all the best bits from both of those classes. 

If you gestalted Fighter/Wizard, then you would advance with D10 hit dice (because Fighters give that), Good Fort and Will saves (because you get the best save progression from each class) poor Reflex saves (Because neither one of them gives a good reflex save,) 1:1 BAB progression (Fighters get that, better of the two), Full spellcasting as a Wizard plus all the armor & weapon proficiencies fighters get, plus all the fighter bonus feats, plus a familiar if you liked.  Because you get all class features from both classes, although IIRC they don't stack.

You still wouldn't be able to cast in armor, though, so one might find a better combination.

There is a bit of an art to doing this.  You need to set up your attributes to be able to get some use out of both your classes.  You want classes with abilities that complement each other rather than conflict.  You want them to blend together into an interesting and cohesive whole.  For this reason, the most powerful options are not always the best mixtures.

For example, my druid/wizard will have something of the feel of a mythological shapeshifting magician.  You could get a bit of an anime feel if you played a Monk/Sorcerer or Monk/Cleric with the right feat selection.  To make a real hardass city-based bounty hunter/assassin, combine the Thug Fighter option (no heavy armor, streetwise-based urban tracking) with the Ninja class (sudden strike, phasing, invisibility.) 

Look!  I have an ons and offs list now!  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=13580.0
It's still really sketchy, though.
Here are my dice rolls: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/player/WyzardWhately/

Kunoichi

Rogue/Warlock is a pretty deadly and synergistic combination in Gestalt.  At-will Invisibility and Sneak Attack?  A +6 bonus on social skills and a large number of skill points?  Use Magic Device on the class skill list for both classes and the ability to take 10 on that skill under any circumstances?

Yep.  Definitely an excellent combination.

Hunter

*whistles*  Yeah, that would require a bit of tweaking.  And in that case, I'd definitely be interested in a ranger/sorcerer.

avorae

Crap I forgot about the monk/sorcerer combo. Oh well depending on what the others play I might go with it instead of thief/sorcerer so that I can still wield the wand.
Life is a hard game but the rewards are sweet if you know where to look.

Decrepitdan

Gestalt is definitely interesting, however - it causes two problems. In such a campaign, the monsters have to be much more difficult, on average about two levels higher than the party in ECL. That often leads to total party kills, as though the characters are more powerful, bad moves are exacerbated by monsters strength.

In addition, for a gestalt campaign, everyone has to play gestalt, or you will have several characters who die, game in and game out - as the gestalt characters survive things they can not.

Gestalt's main advantage is that it lets you have a full party feel with less than 4-6 characters.

NicciKotor

Going gestalt doesn't raise your ac to any sort of high amount in and of itself. So monster and encounters need to be tailored very carefully in order to take in the strengths and weaknesses of the party orientation.

From what I've seen, rogue/anything in gestalt is very overpowered. The DM may wish to have only one player have rogue as a class. If that is fixed then things can be more balanced and thus more fun.

I went cleric/fighter since that brings up a interesting combo of skills and abilities. Being able to have full combat advantage in addition to armor skills on top of spellcasting is great. The only thing my cleric/fighter bunnygirl fails at is skill points, but that is hardly important in front of my 8 feats I get with this build!
Turn on and off thread: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=69638.0

Give me toys and anime figures and I'll let you spank me as often as you want!

Discord: NicciKotor#8672

Tumblr page: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/freyathemagicalfoxy

Vergil1989

See what you started Decrepitdan?  Lol, you got a slew of crazy DnDers going at a hundred miles an hour.  But hey, it's cool to see so many with their creativity in one spot.  Let's get back to the actual setting though for those that want to get going, like me for example lol.  Sorry, I just want to learn how to DnD in general before I go off into a hundred different classes and all that as you guys are doing now.  Let's just say my brain is not even trying to keep up with the conversation somewhere after page 3 lol.
Taker of the Oath of the Drake
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=85486.0  Absence and Apology...countdown to doom....so to speak.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=123720.msg5435844#msg5435844  Storyteller Cafe thread.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=186829.0  Solo thread request thread
IMPORTANT UPDATE as of October 6th 2016 in A/A page

Hunter

I've been playing DnD a long time (hint: red box).  I'm just not up to anything in the past couple of years is all.

Decrepitdan

For the setting, we aren't going to use any specific world. We will simply be playing in a "stereotypical" iron age DnD world.

Use any Gods you would like, from any setting - even localities should you wish. I don't want to commit overly to one setting and overwhelm players who may be new or inexperienced, as we seem to have a lot of those.

If anyone is completely put off by this style, feel free to start another thread with a very specific setting. I will post a brief history of the empire the party currently resides in as soon as I generate it.

Hunter

I'm fine with that, I just need someone to help me do a bit of number crunching.   ;D

Decrepitdan

Hunter you'll probably have to get a chat program to get too much help - because its such a fluid process.

Hunter

Honestly, I'm mostly need help with setting up the ranger/sorcerer gestalt part of the character.  (That and for the DM to double check the LA of the character)  The rest of it I can do in my sleep.

Decrepitdan

What are your questions about the gestalt process, and what are you wanting to know about level adjustment?

Hunter

I just need to know where what is (skills, feats, spells, etc; just a chart or some such will do) and because I'm planning on using a half celest, what my level adjustment is going to be.

NicciKotor

There is no charts for gestalt. Everything is taken from the two base classes you wanted to take on and it goes from there. If your race has a LA, then that is entirely different.

ff

How do gestalt and LA interact? A racial level is costing you more than normal in gestalt (since you're giving up a gestalt level, which is worth more)...but less than two levels (since a gestalt level is worth less than two regular levels, as you get the attribute-wise 'max' of the two levels, not the sum).

For something like half-celestial it might be fair to treat it as LA +3 instead of LA +4 in a gestalt game (i.e. worth less, but more than half as much, for the reasons above). For an LA +1 or +2 race you can't really split the difference as fairly.

I'm only interested in the non-gestalt game, so I don't need to know personally...but I just enjoy philosophizing about these things sometimes.

Hunter

I'm more than willing to play in a gestalt game.  I'll have to do some digging and figure out exactly how I want to build her.  Any help or suggestions would, of course, be appreciated.

NicciKotor

The gestalt chapter makes no mention of gestalt interfering with LA adjustment. This, however, wouldn't stop the DM from just making up the rules and applying them as he or she sees fit for this situation.

If I am feeling up to it tomorrow morning, I may consider taking the over flow from Decrepitdan's pickings of players for his campaign onto my own. In all event I would be sticking with max of three players.

Decrepitdan

If that occurs, I will be running the non-gesalt campaign, as I am more familiar with that setting myself. Everyone please post which game you are most interested in, that way DMs may select enough players for the two games, and then as more DMs enter the thread, should they - other players who may be waiting may begin other games with them. Thanks to all who have been interested so far!

Hunter

I'm willing to play in either but I think the gestalt campaign would be of more interest to me at this time.

ff

For non-gestalt game:

2. Name: Ansalia Vangelica Crystalis
3. Class: Paladin...will try to emphasize the healing aspect in case our group lacks a cleric or druid
4. Bio: (will add more detail I know more about the setting and initial location)
Reared as a foster daughter of a temple to whatever god/dess in this setting is most similar to Lathander, Forgotten Realms god of spring, dawn, birth, renewal, creativity, youth, vitality, self-perfection and athletics - sort of an Apollo-like god of sun and virility.

When she began to feel different and question herself at puberty (even moreso than most people do), one of the priestesses revealed that she was actually her birth-mother, and her father had been an aasimar (celestial-blooded) paladin; Ansalia then decided to follow in his footsteps. She trained with the present generation of temple knights, and joined a few adventures and campaigns after coming of age. 
She has recently reached the stage where she is expected to go off on her own to individualize her ethos and skills.
5. Make herself worth in the eyes of her god, her temple, and her father (if he still lives; maybe find him too). Spread good and optimism and a love of excellence.
6. Very sensual, can seem shy at first but is very flirtatious once she likes someone.
Enjoys or would enjoy almost all lesbian activity, and M/F with the right male. Can be dominant in a nice, 'teaching' way with other F's, especially innocent F's, or submissive with more worldy F's.  Probably more submissive for M/F's. Despite being a paladin, Lathander's (or whomever's) ethos is very open (he's basically Faerun's male god of fertility), and she'd not a prude or thinks sex is sinful. She may still be a virgin to men because she's just never found the right guy yet, but will likely have some F/F activity in her past.
7. I'm quite willing to help others; I've DMed myself before and am used to it. Main caveat is that I prefer to help people who seem to be making a good faith effort to help themselves, i.e. learn, and who seem like they'll actually stick with the RP and roleplay and make use of my help.  I don't want to be the messenger to gets shot when I inform someone I'm helping that their uber build runs afoul of some rule or is from a broken splatbook.