Something to do...in the wasteland. In-Character Post-Apocalyptic Roleplay. Open

Started by Meeka, November 08, 2011, 10:39:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meeka

(OOC Topic https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=123749.0 Please go here for OOC discussion and roleplay interest.)

This first post will contain details for the OOC thread and submitted character bios.

Meeka

The town of Girderhaven lies several miles outside of the ruined capitol of Nevada, Carson City, on the shores of what once was Lake Tahoe. The water is brown and murky, the once vibrant lake destroyed as much of the world was destroyed, but even in it's ruined state it did support a small amount of life. Stubborn, twisted trees and scrub grasses and weeds. They seemed almost vibrant when compared with the vast nuclear wasteland that could no longer support life. Girderhaven itself was a cozy town with a population numbering around 75 and a healthy farming system and a small trading market. An armed guard stands watch at the gate, a worn hunting rifle slung on his back and a lightweight suit of leather armor to protect his body, covered by a heavy coat to keep the dust at bay. Most visitors are traders or travelers, bringing in various stocks of items to exchange for Girderhaven's excess food and leather commodities. Some stop to rest during their journey to the west coast or the far eastern shores, and to that end the town maintains several rooms that may be rented for a fee, and the passer-throughs also support some of the town's small luxuries, such as the local bar and restaurants.

McCready's Bar is where most travelers end up when they visit the town. It's not the nicest place, in fact it's dirty, run down, and attracts the worst kind of people. But the booze is good, not too watered down, the chairs hold together for the most part, and it's also the location of the town's bounty board, where the adventurous sort can make a little cash doing odd jobs requested inhabitants of the town. The bar is dimly lit and stuffy, tables with chairs are scattered about the main room for patrons to sit in, and a large wooden bar is set in the corner with bar stools placed at intervals down it's length. McCready himselfis tending the bar, busily serving drinks, wiping out glasses and shouting at waitress and patron alike. Various people of all different kinds populate the bar. Some drink quietly in solitude, others gather around maps and papers, planning their trip over their drinks, various others shout and stumble around drunkenly, making fools of themselves with drunken slurs and rude comments.

Capone

"We're almost there, boy...we're almost there..."

Gladstone breathed heavily, sweat dripping down his scruffy chin, his mouth dry like cotton. The hood of his jacket was pulled over his head, a pair of tinted goggles over his eyes. In one hand he held an AA12 automatic shotgun, a worn out and rather empty duffel bag strung over his shoulder. In his other hand a leash attached to a dead dog. He limped forward, the hot sun beating against his back. He was hot in all those clothes, a kevlar vest against his chest and a pair of paramilitary pants covering his legs, tucked into his combat boots. Most would say he was stupid for wearing such a thing in the desert, but he knew what harm the sun could do. He knew it was better this way.

Damn was he thirsty, though.

"We're almost there, Grendal," he said, tugging harder on the leash. The dog's corpse struck a rock. "See? That place...settlement...in the distance." His hand waved in the air. His vision was blurring. Or was that the heat of the desert, causing everything to ripple? Or perhaps that was just hunger and thirst.

He walked atop a hill, surveying the land. Anyone in the town would be able to see him from there. At most he was a quarter mile away, more likely a fifth. He dropped the duffel bag and gripped his AA12 by the stalk, wanting to let whoever was there know he wasn't an invader.

"He-" he began to shout, but his dry thirst constricted his throat, causing him to cough and hack. "Hey!" He shouted, louder this time. "Hey! I just want to tra...I just want to tra...to..."

He fell over, unconscious.

yobo

Carter was sitting in a corner of McCready's Bar. His story was typical, all his life he had wanted adventure, and when he was 18 years he left the farming community he had grown up in. Even though the work had made him strong, and he had the necessary survival skills for life in the wastelands, he had been naive. But after almost ten years wandering the wastelands, the naivity had been erased. He had learned not to trust people the hard way.

His weapon of choice was a semi-automatic rifle. He also carried a pistol he had taken from a person who had succumbed to the desert. He didn't have much ammunition for it, so he was considering selling it. For close combat, he had a Bowie knife and brass knuckles.

Carter usually stayed away from places like McCready's, but he now he was looking to make some money. And when you needed money, McCready's was the place to go.

kingmaster1

Marcus was walking threw the streets of Girderhaven and looking to turn in a bounty he had just caught, he's a mercenary, a massive, muscular man with a long trench coat and a metal strapped chest plate, he kept his hair short to make sure the heat didn't hinder him. His trench coat had blood stains all over it, when he killed, he killed messy. a gun for hire who will take down anyone for the right price. he was well known as one of the best, people call him "the collector" he would always take the most valuable thing his bounty owned, his most resent was a well working sawn-off shotgun, he didn't like selling these weapons, they where his trophies, but he didn't get the money he was looking for with that last bounty. Marcus sold all the weapons he had on him, except the massive broadsword he kept strapped to his back. He never let's that out of his sight.

Marcus started heading out of town when he saw a man collapsed on the ground, he was barely alive but he was breathing. Marcus tried to wake him, but no such luck. "this guy needs a drink", he picked the man up and carried him into town "I only know once place that's any decent here" He took notice of the dead dog who's collar was wrapped around the unconscious man's wrist, "oh no, I hope this guy isn't crazy". He walked threw the doors of McCready's Bar and sat at a booth in the corner, Marcus ordered two bottles of the strongest drink they had and a glass of water, "I don't have much money but I can pay for this", he kept trying to wake the man up, "come on buddy, wake up, if you die I guess I just get some new boots". He pored water onto his face and waited.

vietatoSconosciuto

McCready's doors swing open and in walks a fairly average built man wearing a light leather Armour with A hunting rife hung over his back,  the handle of a hand gun can be seen out of its holster on the side of his right leg and a combat knife attached to the bottom his right  leg. Over his right shoulder to the left of his body he has a messengers bag contents unknown to many people, anyone that did is long dead.

He walks straight up to the bar in a cocky British accent says ''bring us a pint mate'', the bartender pours a pint of dirty looking beer and places it down on the the bar. The guy pays him and  picks up the pint glass takes a swig then looks around the room for this next group of bandits he can use, because as he knows the only way to travel is with a bunch of bandits that will fight for you. His last crew where shoot down in gun fire lucky for him he stayed behind to watch over the deal they were making, when 20 other guys came out to join the party he knew they were screwed and did what anyone decent wasteland would, he ran. He walks over to where the two men were sat and sat down ''well mate your friend looks a little worst for wear, what the hell happened to him''.

kingmaster1

Marcus chugged his drink and leaned back on his booth, he looked up annoyed "don't know, I found him passed out in the desert and carried him here". Marcus took note of the man's stature, and cataloged where all of his weapons where stored. "you don't seem like the kind of guy who frequents places like this" he said cockily, Marcus noticed the nice rifle the man had swung over his shoulder. "that's a nice gun you have, you wouldn't happen to have a bounty on your head would you?", Marcus was hoping he'd found a new target, he needed a new gun and that was a beauty. The strange bag the man held interested Marcus, he wanted to know what was in it, he didn't like leaving anything to chance.

FrostShifter

Julia ran through the thin grass that lined the shores of the old waterhole. She could see the tavern in the distance. She'd finally made it. A tear fell as she thought of her Doctor. He had subcumbed to the disease that had plagued their small town. When they had begun the journey to find a new home, he had not displayed any signs of the illness. He had taught her basic medicine so she could help him and she had tried her hardest when he grew weak. They had hoped to reach here before it was too late, but to no avail. With a grim shake of her head, she turned her attention to the sky.

"There you are Archimedes." She held her hand out, letting the old hawk land.

He held a blue ribbon in his beak. "Where did you find this?" She asked, though roughly as she was still jogging.

The hawk just held it out for her to take. She slid it in her pocket. She would place it, later, with the others she had collected.

"Off you go, I'll meet you at the tavern over there." The hawk gave a soft cry before flying off.

She shifted her backpack, and picked up her pace. The bar was not far now.

Once she reached the old place, she stopped running, catching her breath. As she reaached for the door, it occured to her, she had no idea what to do next. Her red-headed doctor told her it would be their first stop in the journey, but had not told her where they were heading.

She couldn't seem to move, as it all sunk in.

Finally after a few minutes of shock, she shook her head and went inside. She would sort it out after a couple of drinks. She scanned the inside, looking for a place to sit and relax. Instead she spotted a man, passed out. Even from here, she could tell it wasn't from drinking.

She walked over to the three men, demure but determined.

"Um, excuse me, but can I examine him? I'm a medic. I can help." She left out the in-training part

kingmaster1

Marcus switched attention from the small man that sat opposite him and cleared his throat, "feel free, I found him passed out in the desert and tried to wake him, but no such luck. If you think you can help it would be much obliged". Marcus wasn't used to talking with women, but he had a soft spot in his cold heart for a pretty face.  "McCready!", he called, "fix us up a couple more glasses!", he waved what was left of his money in the air and watched the old barkeep scramble to make his next round. "I don't know what happened to him but I guessed it was dehydration, he was out cold when I found him. The dog was dead before I got there, thing must have been dead for days, crazy man must have been dragging the thing around with him". Marcus made room in the booth for the lady. "have a seat, I'm buying the next round"

FrostShifter

"Oh dear! We should wake him quickly." She leaned forward, pulling out a pin light from her pocket before opening an eyelid and shining it in his eyes.

"Thanks. If we can wake him, I'll certainly have that drink." She smiled softly.

She sat the bag down on the table and began to dig through it. "Where is it?"

Capone

It felt like someone had shoved a pillow case over his head or something. There were voices, but they were all muffled. There was light, but any features surrounding him were blurred and out of focus. He opened his mouth, but nothing came out. His throat felt dry, parched, raw...yet his face felt wet.

"Rain!" he shouted, suddenly sitting bolt upright. There was no rain, however. Things started to come into focus. A table, poorly shaven men, the smell of alcohol and cigars, the surrounding noise of riff raff, a cute young lady...yeah, this was a tavern. Everything just smelled of a tavern...well, except the young lady, though she could certainly use a shower. No rain, though. No such thing.

"Shucks..." he said quietly, slumping back into the bench. He had no idea why he was surrounded, but he supposed it was better than being killed and stripped down in the wasteland. One good turn deserves another, and so Gladstone reached into his pocket, fishing for some coins. He slapped all he could on the table, enough to buy drinks for everyone. "It's on me," he said huskily, his voice cracking like the dry earth. He coughed a moment, looking around. "Grendal!" he tried to call. "Grendal where are-" He spotted the leash wrapped around his hand as he lifted it up, and followed it down to...

"Oh no..." Solemnly, he leaned down and picked his deceased dog off the floor, holding it close. "Oh Grendal. I didn't even notice you left me." He sighed, a tear, the last of his hydration, slowly dripping along his cheek. "You served me well, friend. But now, now I must put you in soup to feed the orphans."

FrostShifter

Julia grabbed what she was looking for but nearly spilt the contents of her bag on the ground when the man jerked forward, shouting at the top of his hoarse lungs. She watched with a frown as he held his deceased dog. She moved slowly, grabbing the half full glass of water from the table, and held it out to him.

"Let me take the dog." She whisphered, holding out the glass. "And drink this, but slowly, so you don't make yourself sick."

kingmaster1

Marcus nearly spit his drink out when the man suddenly yelled something raspy he couldn't understand. "well would you look at that, the little fella' woke up. good job doc". Marcus watched as the man held the dead dog he had been dragging along with him, Marcus could hear himself talk but hoped no one else could, "I remember when I used to care like that"... Marcus drank what remained of his whiskey and patted the man on the back."well fella' looks like you're up and running again, good thing I found you out there. Your lucky I was the to find you too, most of the people around here would have taken what they could and left you for dead." Marcus sent a suspicious glance at the strange man still sitting with them. Marcus chuckled "well look at this little group we have here, but I have to check the board and see who I can try and bring in". Marcus walked up to the board and scanned it, when he saw his face plastered on the board with the biggest bounty he chuckled and ripped it off, "looks like another to add to my collection". He went back to the booth and chugged his third glass. "so" he asked, "where are you people headed?, personally I am going to that new town that popped up called Alutraz, should be some good targets and easy money there."

yobo

Carter watched the people surrounding the nearly dead man with interest. As far as he could gather, he was a stranger to them, and still they helped him. Such a kind act was not common in the wastelands, the normal procedure would have been to take everything of value and leave him for dead. Not even wasting a bullet helping him on his way...

This interested Carter. Were they naive do-gooders seeing the good in everyone, setting themselves up as prime targets. Or were they as tough as they looked like, and if that was the case, why would they help a stranger like that?

"Intriguing" Carter thought to himself. Already curious, he moved closer to the people, close enough to listen in on their conversation.

vietatoSconosciuto

''well i don't really have a place in min, I'm just looking for a new....'' he thought for second on how to word it ''I'm just looking for a new job, as my last job kind of got caught up'' he looked at the people surrounding him and tried to act fine but he wasn't proud of what he had done but what else could he do

''that town you were on about that's out west right, my old boss said something about meeting a doctor here and heading that way'' he stopped and drank some beer out of the dirt caked glass ''kind of the reason i came to this town, as you can see its not my usual hang out'' he looked to the lady that stood across the table ''your a doctor right, you don't know the name Leroy Walker do you'' he picked up his drink but it was empty ''damn, who's buying the next round''

kingmaster1

"Leroy Walker?" Marcus said, "I've heard that name before...I think I was a patient of a man by that name" Marcus scanned the room one more time and watched a small-ish man move closer to  them. Marcus was never one to trust another, he watched the man carefully and was prepared for the worst. Marcus was still a little shy of the doctor that sat with them "doc, I hate to sound negative but you don't seem like the kind to visit a town like this.", he  hoped not to offend. Marcus turned the man opposite him "no offense frenchy but you don't seem like the kind who frequents lower class places like this" Marcus checked his wallet, "hmm, I'll cover this round" he waved his hand "set us up again McCready!" He laughed when the old man tripped on his feet trying to get the glasses together.

vietatoSconosciuto

''Thanks for covering that mate, i lost all my money in my last job'' he paused for a moment as if to remember something ''Names Gregg, I had word to meet him in here today'' Gregg put his hand in to his bag and pulled out a piece paper ''it says clearly here to meet him on this date, guess that job fell too damn I can not catch a break these days''

''so this town your heading too is there alot of work there, could really use some cash'' Gregg picked up the freshly poured beer and drank, he then looked around the room, and his eyes met with the brutal faces surrounding them ''yeah this isn't my sort of place and i wouldn't mind getting out of here''

Gregg picked up his rifle and put it on the table, the scope gleamed in the light it was quite an old rifle but it was clean and in good condition ''My pride and joy, I'm an excellent shot and a good scout too so i can handle myself i just don't like to face trouble face on you know'' Gregg put his rifle back behind his back ''what do you say, travel out west see what work we can get''

kingmaster1

"well from what I've been told" Marcus said lazily "the job market is really good there. Since the place is new every new store is hiring." Marcus looked at all the people sat around him... "and lots of people mean lots of criminals" Marcus grabbed the handle of his broadsword, but pulled his hand away in pain. "and lots of criminals means lots of money for me", Marcus considered traveling with him. "I'm not used to traveling with anyone, but if you think you could handle the way I go your welcome to tag along...the same goes for all of you" Marcus looked at the man who'd moved towards them "that includes you too, and don't bother trying to eavesdrop sir" Marcus smiled cockily and motioned for him to join them. "all are welcome to this little managery of people we have here" Marcus laughed loudly, "HAHAHA, ah I think all these drinks are staring to get a hold" He took a big sip of his drink.

FrostShifter

She dropped the glass in her hand when he mentioned her Doctor. All thoughts of the ill man in front of her forgotten.
"Leroy Walker..." she whispered.
She could picture his red hair, barely any grey showing despite his age. The gap in his teeth when he smiled...
She felt the sting of tears, enough that it pulled her back long enough to stop them. She took a deep breath and turned towards the other men.
"I knew Dr. Walker." She ran a hand threw her hair and sighed. "He fell ill on the trip here."
She toyed with the saline filled needle, uncertainty swirling in her stomache.
"I'm afraid he didn't tell me where we were headed." She looked up at them through her lashes. "And I've become a wanderer, with no place to go."

kingmaster1

"well doc, It would be incredibly valuable for a doctor to accompany us. I would be honored if you would come with" Marcus was very determined to have her come with, he new better than anyone how much a doctor could help, and having a girl around could help too. The more he thought about it the more Marcus was wanting people to join him. Being alone for so long made him very cold and distant to the outside world, "It would be nice to start traveling with other people, haven't done that for a while." Marcus said mostly drunk.

vietatoSconosciuto

Gregg looked the the scrap of dirty paper in hes hand, then looked up at the the red haired lady across the table ''did he give you anything like a package or something, seemed very important what he wanted us to to take west'' Gregg then looked at the lady once more and then it hit him Leroy dint want a package to be taken west this lady who was what was to be taken. 

he looked over the table at the the red haired women, the way see treated that man Gregg knew she had some training at least so Leroy must have trained her. ''well i guess it Can not hurt to travel with a doctor and maybe along the way we can work out what Leroy's plan was''. 

he put the scrap of paper back in to his bag, he now had a way to travel west safely and knew there was a lot of money to be made out west, he let out a smile and finished his drink ''well what a group we have here'' Gregg looked around the table at the few other people sitting around him then he looked at the ill man sitting across from him and the man behind him who was now standing quite close ''will you both join us going west, should be quite a fun journey''.

kingmaster1

Marcus was really getting drunk now, his speech slurred slightly, "hehe, welll I hope sssomone here hasss a meansss of transport, cause all I have is walking hehehe" his vision was getting blurry and he scanned the room. "wait a minute..." Marcus looked at a lone man sitting at the bar, "I think I know that guy..." Marcus rubbed his head in thought and then immediately sobered up. A smirk came across his face, "I know him! that's an old target..." Marcus finally put a name to the face. "red!". the man turned his head and started scrambling for a weapon. It was too late Marcus was out of his seat and running towards the man, Marcus tackled him down and started raining blows on his head, "you will gain me a pretty penny red" he said between blows. Marcus tied red up and pulled a sheet of folded paper out of his pocket, "lets see....dead or alive?". Red was still struggling but he knew what was in store for him. "oh, red looks like there's more money in it for me if your dead. Tough luck pal" Marcus bent Red over a table and pulled his broadsword off his back, "well Red..." Marcus said hoisting the blade in the air, "It was fun working with you". He brought the sword down into the center of his head, leaving it on but split in half. "nice hat" He picked it up and placed it on his head. Marcus returned to his seat and had another drink, "so...where were we?"

vietatoSconosciuto

Gregg looked in amazement ''well that was something'' he knew at that moment that he would have safe passing through the harsh wasteland to the west, he just hoped his name would not turn up a bounty.

he yawned once more ''well that's enough excitement for one night'' he then looked to a young women in the corner of the bar, she wasn't to bad on the eyes for a lady in this town ''meet back here tomorrow, i think i can find somewhere to sleep for the night''

Gregg stood up and walked around the dead guy on the bar and up to the young lady, after a few more drinks Gregg walked out of the bar with his arm round the young lady ''Tomorrow my friends'' he yelled back to the people still around the table in a drunken slur as he almost fell out of the door.

kingmaster1

Marcus laughed at the quick work, "haha, looks like frenchy is quite the lady killer" he poured down his last drink and stood, "well, I need to turn it in too" he looked once at what remained of Red and then turned his attention towards the blonde waitress that had served them the night. "Hope I didn't make too much of a mess for you darling", "not at all sir" she said nervously, "in fact I love seeing a strong man do his business" Marcus was ready to sweep her off her feet but then he remembered he had no money and no place to sleep, "well, I'd invite you back to my place but I just remembered I have no place" she was quick to answer "well sir we have a room upstairs that we rent to good customers, and seeing as you bought more drinks in here than anyone I think we can give you a free night" she winked, "I'll show you up there". "well fellas I got my hands full for the night, hope to see you all here in the morning" the waitress suddenly pipped up, "if your friends need rooms we would be happy to oblige sugar" Marcus waved his new hat in the air. "haha there we go! I guess I will see you all in the morning!" He walked off with the waitress under his arm.

Capone

Gladstone listened to the proceedings carefully, his fingers idly scratching at his dead dog's fur. He was starting to smell its decaying stench. He would need to get rid of it, though in truth he didn't want to allow his trusted companion to become food. Meat was scarce these days, sure, but...this was his friend.

When the two men had left he turned to the doctor, smiling. "If you cannot afford a room, I have a tent you can use. I'll sleep under the stars and you can take it easy in my tent." He grabbed his glass, swallowing the last of the foamy beverage within. "I'm not sure what to think of either of those men. In particular what that mercenary was thinkin'. You chop the man's head off so people can recognize it, so you can take just a head to get your money rather than an entire corpse. Now...that body is useless. No one will take it in that condition. He just screwed himself over."

He shrugged, smiling at the young doctor. "Still, traveling in a group is much more safe than traveling solo." He stood up, leaving the last of his coppers on the table as tip, before carrying his dog outside. There was a corner of the town that was relatively unused. Just a bunch of dead land, a few lepers around. No one came here for fear of disease, but Gladstone was pretty certain it wasn't contagious. Not from person to person, at least. These folks were either born with it, or they weren't careful around some radiation leak. He shrugged, pulling his pack from his back. He had a single bedroll as well as his tent, and a trencher strapped to the side of the pack. He set the tent up first, in case that young woman needed a place to rest, and then began to dig. It was the least that he owed his good pal for sticking with him to the end.