Welcome to Eden, a VR simulated paradise. (Interest check.)

Started by Vergil1989, April 15, 2012, 12:35:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vergil1989

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=137567.0  IC Thread
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=137555.0  Eden OOC Thread.  (VR Lobby.)
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=137559.0  Character Thread

I'm world building again.  The last time I tried doing this I had a pretty good crowd of people lined up and so I think I'm gonna give it another go.  This started out as a solo game, and while it's still active, I thought I might give this a go as a group game as well and see what happened.  Anyway, here's the first post that got it going.  I'll throw in more details though as people show interest since the solo is still in its early stages you might say lol.  I will admit that inspiration comes from the game series and anime called .Hack and .Hack G.U as well as my general and almost obsessive love for fantasy.   :-[  Still, if this goes well enough then I hope to have another epic tale here.  Think DnD and Pathfinder, (which I'm still learning about,) without all the rules and dice rolls meets the steampunk fantasy world of .Hack and you'd be pretty close to what I have stored in my head lol.  Joking aside however, I do not plan to have a rogue AI or anything like that popping up to cause havoc with Data Bugs and AIDA and the Eight Phases of Morganna or any of that junk, although it worked pretty well in .Hack I'll admit lol.  Anyway, what I do hope to have happen however is to create a world of magic, monsters, and epic adventure that has been lacking of late in my writing mostly due to some RL health issues I've been having of late, but that aside I'm still trucking along, stubborn as ever and unwilling to admit defeat lol.  Let's get this show on the road before I talk the night away.   ;D

'Cue epic intro music of your choice.'

For every new technological upgrade, there is always inherent dangers that go hand in hand with them.  Most are brought on by those that mean the users of said tech ill will in the form of malfunctions, sabotage, hacking, and viral uploads, just to name a few.  Some threats however, are more insidious and could potentially form themselves if given the right set of circumstances and the right stimuli.  Whatever the case, the end result was normally the same; pure and utter chaos unless it was stopped before it could get out of hand.  In the year 2135, VR technology had been perfected, allowing users from across the world to nearly and completely immerse themselves in the digital arenas that spanned across many open world games that were akin to WoW, Guild Wars, and many more MMORPG of the same ilk, allowing for far more interactivity than ever before.  One such game that went online not even six months ago after a few incidents and delays in its production that swept the world by storm was appropriately called Eden, since to many that got their hands on it, it was a paradise given shape and form.  Such a term however was a matter of opinion, but whatever ones interpretation, no one could argue that it was the best game to ever be created to date.  Fantasy lovers of all kinds came to the digital shores of Eden to explore its rich environments that looked, felt, and even smelt real to those plugged into the VR simulated world.  That was the whole point but that aside, players were only limited by their imagination to what they could do.  All it took was the proper training in the skills of their choice and the time dedicated to leveling up in their skillset that they wished to employ throughout their stay in Eden.

For the more mature audience however, the monthly membership fee was increased by a few credits, (money having been done away with ages ago and everything was done through electronic transfer now,) but those that paid were allowed to experience more than the younger players, mainly the joys of online sex.  When done in a VR world, no fear of disease, pregnancy, and the like needed to be felt by either partner, and with strict controls on what was allowed and what was not set up by each person, no lines were rarely ever crossed or could be crossed if it was attempted.  The system had worked so far, and the admins were not worried anything could go wrong with their creation.  Even the monsters were limited to what they were allowed by the player if said person ever lost, and it'd been found early on that some had deep seated fantasies for being molested or outright raped by a gang of goblins if not something bigger and nastier, and the admins had obliged.  It had taken a few more months of beta testing, but after everything was said and done, their finished product was unleashed upon the world, and the masses were overjoyed beyond all reason.  Whether a new player or a returning adventurer, there was something for everyone to enjoy.

Most adventurers start in the massive trade city of Everesta, where the general rule of the city is that if you can't find it here, you can't find it anywhere.  Most new and old adventurers alike can find quests given by the game's countless NPCs that wander the streets as well as a number of different establishments ranging from age restricted brothels to luxurious inns and taverns, as well as bathhouses of both repute and ill repute, depending on what part of the city you favored.  Reputation effected how NPCs reacted to each person, welcoming some warmly while in some areas they'd be chased off if not hung, drawn, and quartered if caught and beaten down for your trouble.  Regardless of one's playstyle and reputation, good or not, there were few things that wasn't kept track of as the game learned from each player how better to challenge them and thus make it more enjoyable for them all.  Currently the sun was at high noon and the streets and even the sky was packed with travelers coming and going by steam powered airships if they weren't simply walking on foot as most tended to do.  It was just another day in the city as merchants cried out about their wonderful wares, people prepared for their quests, and the general havoc one could expect in a city such as this.  Welcome to Eden, where fantasy became reality.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

To throw a few examples of what I have in mind, let's talk seriously for a bit.

I've started DMing a massive castle exploration and assassination mission for my solo partner.  The trick however is that while nearly EVERY game I've ever played has keys hidden away in treasure chests or locked away in secret compartments or something silly like that, I plan to have my partner and their two characters, (one a temporary figure I'd imagine,) actively seek out every creature in the castle in search of said keys since to me it makes more sense to keep them mobile and not stagnant like a real prison guard might have a giant thing of keys on his or her belt.  Things like that.  While I have nothing against stagnant keys and what have you, it just kind of gets real boring when you're forced to take one single path to achieve your goal.  This VR world story I hope to create will do away with the typical stereotypes you'd expect in such a game and allow you the player to choose how you want to go about completing a mission or quest or whatever it is you happen to be on.  For the most part it'll be a giant sandbox game but from time to time I'll probably throw 'Epic Quests' at everyone that can change the entire face of the game world if they are failed or just not done in time.  A bit of a big undertaking I'll admit but you'd be surprised where inspiration might strike lol.  This will most likely be Extreme just so we aren't limited to what we can do but it probably won't come to that.  We'll see though.  Any and all ideas are always welcome, as well as concerns, questions, comments, and the like.  Anyway, what do you guys say?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Schools of Magic

Just as there are six elements that govern the world and keep it in balance, so too are there six brands of magic, each representing the six elements.  Within each elemental branch, there are many sub magics in each one that one can specialize in to become a master of that type of magic to an all range expert across your element of choice.  Few are those that have studied long enough and hard enough to master all six because of how difficult it is to master just one alone.  Any more than three at best are extreme cases, but all six are legendary and to be feared due to their immense skill in all things arcane, especially should such a person ever become a threat to Eden and all of her inhabitants.  And despite what the religious orders will tell you, light and dark elemental mages are not to be feared any more or less than the rest.  It is simply the choices of how one uses their skill that dictates whether or not one is truly evil, just as can be said of all things in this world.

Excerpt from the Rules of Magic written by Grand Mage of the Arcane, Angelus Maximus, formerly of the Far Seeing Tribe

Important notice
These are just quick examples and summaries and will most likely be edited to include or exclude things as people comment and what have you.  Things such as enchanting armor and weapons that can be used by all the elements won't be repeated so if it's not in the others, assume that it is.

Fire  For those with a passion and exuberance for the destructive arts, look no further than fire.  Fire is a force that consumes anything in its path, yet it can also be used to light the way in dark tunnels, heal wounds if used properly to cauterize them shut, and to give warmth where otherwise there would be none.  Fire on its own as an element is a force to be reckoned with because it is also the hardest to the control given its all consuming nature if left unchecked, but for those with the patience and the skill to master it, the element can be used to great effect on and off the battlefield.  Sub magics include buffing and debuffing strength and endurance stats/boosts, manipulation of fire based light sources into portable fireballs, enchanting weapons and armor, and the summoning of fire elemental beasts and other fiends that use fire as their main source of strength.

Ice  This elemental power is reserved for the intellectually cool and collected individuals more times than not, but for anyone that has a steady head on their shoulders this power isn't out of reach.  Water is the basic form that all Ice magic takes, whether it be in the form of a blizzard or a drowning rain, all Ice based magic must begin in its most basic form when controlling the element itself.  Just as water can kill, so too can it heal by cooling fevers, hydrating plants and people alike, and it even serves as a natural environment for aquatic life across Eden.  Understanding this can serve Ice Mages well since even a land that appears to have none must to sustain any amount of life within the region.  But there is more to water than meets the eye since it can also hide valuable treasure as well as foes in mist and fog.  Sub magics include illusion and diversion spells, control over aquatic environments, creations of ice walls/blizzards and other hazards, and if applied properly, can even make inert steam powered devices work once more.

Wind  From a gentle breeze to fill the sails of a schooner to a full on tsunami full of lightning and tornado force gusts, to command the power over wind is to command Mother Nature herself.  To aiding those that wish to fly to giving control over one's own speed and grace, wind is a practice in manipulation over the environmental forces as well as oneself.  Understanding air flow, pressure waves, to enabling or disabling flying machines with the right gesture of one's hand in the right direction and with enough force makes for a very dangerous practitioner if one studies enough, same as any other branch of magic.  Sub magics include mastery over the sky itself, flight ability, speed enhancements, and even control over the force of time itself.  (Haste, Slow, and Stop mostly.)

Earth  Removing barriers of rock to creating walls of earth to protect your fellow adventurers, to damming rivers with temporary barriers of shale, Earth magic can do much.  Increasing one's defensive capabilities, to controlling the natural occurring ores found in the ground itself, Earth power is limited only by one's imagination to create or demolish whatever might be in your way.  Forge masters often employ Earth mages to help extract rare and precious gems and metals which can then be used to create very powerful weapons and armor, although it is not just the materials that make such an item, but also the skill of the forger as well.  Sub magics include manipulation over the ground itself which can then be used to whatever your need happens to be and if you have the skill to do so.

Black  Curses, hexes, siphoning life, raising the dead, controlling the mind and ensnaring the senses; all this and more can be achieved by a Black Mage.  Despite its dark reputation as being a favorite for evil mages and sorcerers, black magic does not require an evil heart to wield anymore than the rest.  Unfortunately that is often what path such mages tend to take in their quests for power and spells better left forgotten.  Even so, evil or not, black mages have control over not just life and death, but also the very laws of physics with powerful gravity based spells.  The mightiest of black mages can even call forth giant meteors and other cosmic disturbances to completely crush their enemies.

White  Healing even the most grievous of wounds, giving hope to allies, dispelling curses and hexes, and summoning divine creatures from the heavens to obliterate all evil entities before them, white mages are true and tested supporters in any party.  They are invaluable sources of strength and light, able to use their light based abilities to cure diseases, hexes, and other ill effects with just a wave of their hand and the proper incantation.  For those that take a more religious path with their magic, even more options open up, but when mixing magic and religion, things might not turn out as you always wish them to depending on the whim of your god or goddess of choice and your personal standing with them.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On Prayers and Divinity

Religion is a tricky business at best, a double bladed sword at worst.  In the right hands, it has the power to heal, to mend, and to nurture those that need it most, providing shelter and succor that seek it, and to give rest as well as peace to those that have passed on to the next plane.  In the wrong hands, it can be used to control, to coerce, and to turn even the most level headed of people into homicidal maniacs.  No matter the religion in question, one thing can be known for certain; as long as they have people to worship them, the gods and goddesses of Eden will continue to rain down their blessings and their curses in equal measure.

Excerpt from Lessons on the Divine book V in the Divine Orders series written by Adriana Talvoshok, former high priestess to the church of Li, goddess of passion.

Important notice
Clerics, paladins, and other religious oriented classes benefit the most from this.  It is not required by any to choose any god or goddess, but if you do I do ask that you include a good description of what they represent and what kind of boons and what have you they give to you for your service.  If it's from a well known source such as DnD or Pathfinder, do your best to summarize what is said into your profile.

To put it bluntly, there is a religion for everything imaginable in Eden.  There are gods of murder that assassins often pay homage to before they go on their secretive missions, goddesses for passion that young lovers give tribute to, gods for young families that offer protection.  For every person, there is a choice to follow one of many gods and goddesses that one could imagine under the sun, yet such a choice doesn't come without its costs.  Disobeying a god's edicts will deliver swift and divine punishment upon the wicked and the unrighteous while faithful obedience and servitude rewards those that follow their chosen god's law.  Some offer freedom to work within the rules and code of certain gods, while others demand a strict and orderly life in service to them.  Whatever your choice, it is not required to choose any god or goddess to follow for your duration on Eden, but for those that do specific missions from the church of your choice can be gained as well as rewards in the form of weapons and armor and even spells in the element of your choice.  (Should that factor in of course.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Technology and You!

Eden is a world rife with monsters, demons, fae folk, strange oozes and slimes, restless spirits, and more, yet it is also full of all kinds of inventions and weapons of war to combat the dangers out there.  Grenades that are made to release fire, poison gases, bright lights, and more, to steam empowered airships, repeater crossbows, experimental black powder cannons, flintlock pistols.  I could go on and on.  The point being that just as mages must study their crafts for years before they are able to use it properly lest they burn down a city, so too do those that muck with today's latest mechanical feats of engineering since they are just as dangerous if not more so than any spell.  A machine doesn't get tired after all.

Excerpt from Technology and the People's Guide to Today's Greatest Engineering Feats, written by Douglas Brawnhammer, formerly of the Dwarven Smith Guild.

Technology is on par with early Renaissance Earth, meaning anything from early cannons to indoor plumbing for the moderately structurally sound parts of Eden's cities are common place.  Gun powder is still in its infancy for the most part and is thus hard to acquire let alone make, but it is there.  Steam rules the day however in the form of massive fleets of airships for the upper class of society as well as sky pirates, mercenary bands, and the armies of every major power across the world that is Eden.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Love, Lust, Sex, and Everything In-Between

All life is sacred, no matter what form it might take.  Even so, for sentient beings, the circle that governs life is not to be treated lightly by some.  Procreation is a sacred act among most people, but even if one uses sex as a means for pleasure alone, the chance of life to be created from such an act is still there.  Regardless of one's intent or mindset at the time, such acts of love or lust shouldn't be taken lightly.  For those like me however that use sex to heal the mind, body, and soul, it can be so much more than two bodies joining together as one.

Excerpt from the Ways of the Sacred Prostitute, book III, written by Neria Zathrieal, former high priestess of Sune and Corellon Larathain.

As it's been mentioned before, the 'game world' has settings built into the system to allow different things to happen to your character.  For example, some monsters are a bit....rape happy, to put it nicely.  Setting your preferences however can prevent such a thing, but most that play in Eden let their settings be quite free as a means to experience everything the game world has to offer.  Beyond that, because this is set in Extreme, pretty much anything will be allowed but I do ask that people respect O/Os as much as possible.  Still, beyond that I just ask ya have fun lol.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Locations in Eden; A Traveler's Guide from a Sky Pirate's Eyes.

From the trade city of Everesta far to the southwest to the demonic Shadowed Lands to the far northeast, to the mighty Imperial City of Ghon Xi that protects the only pass in or out of the cursed demon held lands.  From the northwestern floating isles that hold the impressive ore mines and free trade city of Greede to the impressive capital of the main continent itself of Balandor where crime is not tolerated by any that live there, the empty fields, old ruins, and more that dot this fair land we call home are just a few of the sights one can come upon their travels across the face of Eden.  If one travels from one end of the world to the other without incident, one can expect to walk a solid six months before reaching the other side, but with monsters and natural hazards and the chance of becoming lost along the way, make such a trip much longer but all the more rewarding.  For a sky pirate like myself however, there's no better way to spend one's days than seeing the wonders and the riches this world has to offer.

Excerpt from the honorable sky pirate and 'leading man' Balthier Bunansa.  Last seen in the skies over the mountain region of Oysender.

Everesta; 

Where new players begin their days as a new arrival to the world of Eden.  Whether by land, sea, or air, one has a choice depending on what your chosen class and profession is as to how you arrive upon the land.  At least that's how it is said to be done, but in 'reality' you can choose your method of arrival but most decide upon a sea approach.  Regardless, Everesta is at the southwestern corner of the world, and while as a general rule the monsters and quests are easier because of this, make no mistake in thinking all areas around or in the city are created equally.  Roving bands of creatures are constantly on the move, and crime lords rise and fall all the time, sometimes replaced by weaker opponents with amazing intellect and a perchance for traps or subtle manipulations while some quests can be misleading to those that are not aware of what might be waiting ahead for them.  Always keep a weather eye out for those that do not pay attention too often meet a swift end at an enemy's hands.  The same can be said for any part of Eden however, but around Everesta, the trading hub for the rest of the land, it is especially true since it sees the most commerce out of any other part of the world, save perhaps for Greede.  There is no official ruler to the city given is free trade status, but for those in the know, the city guard likes to think they are in control, but their wages come from the often corrupt Merchant Guilds that make Everesta their home.  While there are a lot of honest guards in the city, make no mistake in assuming they are all with their honor intact.  In general however Everesta is safe enough for anyone and many families that call it home, both NPC and PC alike, love the place a great deal despite the undertone of danger in the darker parts of the immense city.

The Mountain Ranges of Oysnder. 

Located on the eastern edge of the capital of Eden's heart in the center of the main continent itself, the majestic yet dangerous mountain ranges of Osynder are often the birth place of the monks, priests, and clerics that populate the world.  Travelers come from far and wide to see the place for themselves simply because of the beautiful scenery it offers, although some favor the rare monsters and resources the truly strong and competent warrior can obtain from them.  Beyond the otherwise dangerous nature of the local beasts, the mountain fortresses that reside in this area are peaceful and tranquil places where some of the finest warriors across many different classes are made before being set loose upon the world to do whatever it is they choose to do with the skills they've learned here.  For the adventurous mountain climbers, climbing to the top of one of the many spire like mountains in the area is rewarding enough since it is akin to being at the top of the world.  Some of the world's highest mountains can be found here, as well as some of the oldest ruins that have yet to be plundered due to them being quite hard to get to for just anyone.

Ghon Xi, the Imperial City. 

Due to its proximity to the Shadowed Lands, Ghon Xi is the heart and soul of a massive military force strong enough to send dozen man squads into the darkened and blighted land to their eastern borders on a regular basis to help the demon hunters there to keep back the otherwise growing darkness.  The demons however always try to break through Ghon Xi's massive defensive structures on a regular basis as well, normally in between attacks upon their own homes, such as they are.  Power is dictated by who has the better trained force and who can kill the most of the demonic hordes rather than money as is often the case anywhere else.  Because of the constant threat they face everyday from the Shadowed Lands, the people in Ghon Xi while friendly enough, do not tolerate peace loving fools that would try to negotiate with the beasts that are always looking to consume the rest of the world.  They know that if given the chance, that is exactly what the demons would do, and gods help them all if they ever succeeded in breaking through Ghon Xi and her surrounding fortresses.  Thankfully, as long as their three way mountains hold, land locking the Shadowed Lands save for the single pass into Ghon Xi's waiting armies, they can indefinitely hold out against their dark enemies.

Main Capital of Eden's mainland, Balandor. 
Out of all the cities in the world, Balandor is the most peaceful.  Besides Ghon Xi, it has the second strongest military force of the whole of Eden and because it's controlled by an unified council of both mages and the lords of Balandor, crime here is virtually nonexistent.  Few criminals here would dare to show their faces in the shining gem that lies at the heart of Eden, acting as both trade center and thanks to the massive lake that sits on its western edge, a central naval base as well since the lake has dozens of rivers and streams that flow in and out of the crystal clear waters.  The major sights to see while in Balandor include the Mage Circle, the Colosseum that houses both PvP and monster vs player fights both in single and squad combat, and the countless shops, holy religious sites, and more that run up and down most of the cobblestone streets that snake through Balandor.

The Floating Free Trade City of Greede. 
Situated to the northwestern edge of Eden, high above the ocean and land itself floats a massive chunk of land that can be called it's own continent in some people's opinion.  It is here where the moving Free Trade City of Greede can be found, built on the back of a giant monster called a Demithor.  This clockwork, steampunk like city is where the first airships were built, and the technology to build them filtered throughout the rest of the land over the span of many years.  However, many innovations are still made here, in Greede, making it subject to no country's rule, and because the only way up or down is located on a dozen chains that tie it in place to the ground below and the ocean floor as well, there is no way to sneak a group of armed men intent on taking the city for themselves without first passing through several checkpoints that have ever watchful guards ready to die for their home far above.  Besides that, the outer perimeter of the floating island is laced with potent mortar like guns all across the perimeter that can be fired with lethal precision, making it one of the most heavily defended lands in Eden to date.  They can never go to war however since the chains can not be undone, legend stating that the very gods themselves forged them to be unbreakable, and should they ever be broken, the land mass Greede rests upon would plummet to the ground, taking everything below and on the rock with it most likely.  Countless scholars, tinkerers, steam engineers, and other intellectual types of classes make their fame and home here, always creating the latest in technological advances.  Sky pirates also make a living here, always coming back home to Greede after a successful run down to the more land bound areas of Eden with their sky ships' hulls bursting with stolen goods and treasure to trade to improve their own lots in life.

The Shadowed Lands. 

The religious orders of Eden all agree that it is a cursed land with very little chance of ever recovering.  The general populace all agree that they'd rather die at the hands of another person than be sent in exile to the Shadowed Lands where death is usually the last thing on most demons' minds for their slaves that they manage to capture during any of their attacks against Ghon Xi or the lands around it whenever they manage to slip troops past, rarely as that happens thankfully.  Legend tells us that when the gods created the world, they had to fight back Moloch the Corruptor and his minions which would later become the first demons eons ago.  Because of his nature and those that he spawned, all demons that are born in the dark lands taint and corrupt anything they touch, turning plants into monstrous abominations, people become willing slaves and worse if enough time passes, and even the very ground becomes sick and dead wherever a demon crosses over it enough times.  Whether or not there is any hope of recovery for this once beautiful place is unknown, but regardless, only the demon hunters and truly epic class characters have any true hope of fighting back the encroaching forces of darkness here.
Taker of the Oath of the Drake
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=85486.0  Absence and Apology...countdown to doom....so to speak.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=123720.msg5435844#msg5435844  Storyteller Cafe thread.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=186829.0  Solo thread request thread
IMPORTANT UPDATE as of October 6th 2016 in A/A page

Qt

Vergil1989

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=85486.0  Absence and Apology...countdown to doom....so to speak.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=123720.msg5435844#msg5435844  Storyteller Cafe thread.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=186829.0  Solo thread request thread

Polymorph

Hi there

Sounds cool, but I have a couple of questions on the VR aspect.

How immersive do you invisage this VR system to be? Is it like the matrix where your real body is essentially in a coma whilst you are in the game or a simple headset where you are still aware that you are lying in your bedroom or in a gamestore?

Will players be expected to write from the avatars perspective or the players. For example Brod the barbarian might not know anything about airship and have bedded every whore in a hundred miles, but Dave the engineer running the character would know how an airship works, but still be a virgin living in his parents basement.

Once in the game are the players there for the duration, or can they shout pause if they want to. Will there be breaks at some points where the story goes to the players as they have a munchies. 

Darwishi

So, I hope Vergil doesn't mind me posting since I'm the partner in the game that he mentions.  I can answer a couple of these questions.

As for whether you play as the player or the character, I actually do both.  There are things that the player knows about the world that the character couldn't know, but she stays in-character while playing the game.  So her "real name" is Katrina Worthington and she's played the game since the beta testing.  Her character is Evelyn Shade and she's an assassin that's concentrated on only her assassin stats (balance, agility, accuracy with throwing knives, knife fighting, stealth, etc) and really forsaken all other stats.  Since she's in an assassin class it makes a lot of sense (also there's no system, it's just kind of said that's what she's concentrated on).

Okay so Katrina has her thoughts of the game and how sometimes she could just live there if she really wanted to.  I haven't said it directly but I envision her being rich.  And be rich enough to own her own suspended animation system that actually allows her mind to kind of upload to the system while her body stays perfectly healthy, not needing to eat, sleep, or even use the restroom.  Perfect for long missions.  Truth is she enjoys the technologies of life too much to completely abandon them to go all game all the time.

And speaking of that the game itself is somewhere between the Matrix and the headsets.  I view it as most people probably just use their beds or specialized chairs to sit in while wearing goggles that accesses the brain.  It's available to everyone (not just the rich and famous) so it's easy enough to log in with the goggles (and that's a loose term).  But at the same time the game is realistic in terms of looking, feeling, tasting, smelling and even sounding like the real world (except it's a fantasy world).  The biggest difference is that if you die in game, you get to respawn, but there are serious disadvantages to dying....not the least of which is losing all of your gear and having to start over.

So yeah, I have Katrina checking the forums and online activity in her "down time", then she logs back on and knows a couple of OOC things about what's going on in Eden.  Also if Brod the Barbarian sleeps around with all of the women, then there is no way that Dave the engineer can consider himself a virgin.  Like I said, the VR feels real, some say even better than real.  Granted there are all kinds of restrictions (age wise) for sex to happen.  And permission settings for both parties so that it's impossible to do the deed with someone that doesn't want it.

I'll let Vergil get into that stuff though.  He made up the parts about sex in the game and stuff.

Qt

Thanks Darwishi, now I am even more interested in this game. Hehehehe.

Polymorph

Thanks for the answer Darwishi

Another couple of questions.

Do players automatically know who is a player and who is an NPC in the game, or can they only work this out by talking to another character in game?

Are real players only adventurers and NPC's monsters and common folk or is it possible that a whore picked up in a bar or an Goblin chieftan is another player?

Is this world PvP, are other player groups just as much a threat as the monsters?

Humbugearthquake

Hey! Thanks for the invite, this seems really great and I would love to be a part of it!
Consider me signed up! ;D

minerva7790

This certainly sounds interesting! I'm going to keep an eye on it for now.  ;)
'But I will wear my heart upon my sleeve
For daws to peck at: I am not what I am.'

Ons and Offs ~ Absences and Apologies

Darwishi

Quote from: Polymorph on April 15, 2012, 03:57:17 AM
Thanks for the answer Darwishi

Another couple of questions.

Do players automatically know who is a player and who is an NPC in the game, or can they only work this out by talking to another character in game?

Are real players only adventurers and NPC's monsters and common folk or is it possible that a whore picked up in a bar or an Goblin chieftan is another player?

Is this world PvP, are other player groups just as much a threat as the monsters?

I'm going to link to the game we've got going right now just so you guys can take a look if you want.

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=137238.0

To answer your questions based on our game (granted I'm NOT sure if this is the way Vergil intends it or not so don't quote me) but there are nasties that are "PC's" and NPC's alike.  You probably won't know who's a PC and who isn't right off the bat, even if you talk to them.  The AI that runs the whole show is extremely good and displays emotions in the characters it plays (the NPC's) which can make it harder to figure out. 

We've gone over a couple of the mechanics in our game of how Eden should work which is kind of why I'm linking it. 

Vergil1989

Darwishi, you are perfectly fine answering questions since this is your baby as much as mine so don't worry about doing so.  If it wasn't for you there wouldn't BE a group thread right now so I really owe ya a lot at the moment lol.  Still, I'll get into the more technical stuff from here.

Alright boys and girls, who's up for some laughs?  Joking aside, Polymorph has asked quite a few good questions thus far that cover a lot of ground so let's see if I can't clarify a few points for everyone here.  The AI is as powerful as it's been made to sound, meaning there's very little chance that you'd be able to determine who's an NPC and who is not by just a couple of first meetings with them since they will run errands and shops and all that just like a real person.  They aren't set to a schedule either where they will be at a certain part of the game world every day either unless it's to run their shops or businesses but even then they might get 'ill' or suffer an injury through their own misfortune or whatever, just like it might happen for real. 

As for the question regarding monsters and what have you, I do believe I will stay to normal conventions on this one and say that players cannot be evil monsters, but otherwise if you want to ply your trade as a common whore or a barbarian or whatever, you are more than welcome to do so.  And as Darwishi has said already, there aren't levels exactly as you'd see them in other games, but you do power up your chosen skillset by using them constantly.  The more you concentrate in one area, the greater you become in that area.  You do have your typical classes such as knights, paladins, assassins, mages, clerics, etc, so you're really only limited by your dedication to whatever your class happens to be although you don't have to stick to that class the whole time you play.  Meaning you could potentially be a jack of all trades, but you'd be a master of none which has its advantages and downfalls like any other skillset you might employ.

As for nasties, there is PvP, and so PCs and NPCs alike will try to make your life difficult through the usual types of crimes you'd expect.  I don't plan to have this turn into a slug fest by any means since the city guards do try to reign in troublesome players at the admins discretion like a real police force would, but no system is perfect just like our real world, and so you still have your 'murderers', 'thieves', and all that.  Most criminals though stay to the poorer parts of the cities and hide out in dungeons and what have you though, so a little common sense and keeping your hand close to your coin purse will usually be enough to protect ya....usually.

While we're on the subject, let's discuss how deep your mind gets immersed in Eden shall we?  Darwishi again pretty much nailed it on the head with his own explanation of how it'll work so there's little need for me to clarify anything.  Anyone can play with a 'simple' pair of goggles and a VR chair, but for a real in-depth experience and if you happen to be loaded like Katrina happens to be, the ability to jack yourself into the game and stay there for several days at a time without need to get up to eat, sleep, or go to the restroom on long missions, (as long as you do all of this in-game,) is yours.  I imagine for some people however, such as those that are unable to get out of bed due to serious injury in real life or whatever, playing Eden would be the only way they could ever be 'normal' to a degree while living out the rest of their lives in bliss, so to speak, so that's always something to consider in your histories lol.

Vergil1989

Hello boys and girls, let's have an update.  I've been talking to my partner and he's agreed, so let's have a warm round of applause to our second in command for the games to come, Mr. Daaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrwishi!  'Cue applause and whistles.'  Lol joking aside, he and myself will be controlling this game together since it's as much as my idea as it was his own, mostly his though.

While I'm here I do want to state that it's been decided that we'll allow a mix of both 'new' players that have just started to arrive on Eden's shores as well as returning champions that are veterans and heroes of the land, in some form or fashion.  Beyond that, you don't have to help your 'newbie' cousins out by any means, but it might be wise to consider since you never know when you might get into trouble lol.

Vergil1989

Ok, let's start a bit of world building besides what's already been mentioned.  First, a note for potential mages.

Schools of Magic

Just as there are six elements that govern the world and keep it in balance, so too are there six brands of magic, each representing the six elements.  Within each elemental branch, there are many sub magics in each one that one can specialize in to become a master of that type of magic to an all range expert across your element of choice.  Few are those that have studied long enough and hard enough to master all six because of how difficult it is to master just one alone.  Any more than three at best are extreme cases, but all six are legendary and to be feared due to their immense skill in all things arcane, especially should such a person ever become a threat to Eden and all of her inhabitants.  And despite what the religious orders will tell you, light and dark elemental mages are not to be feared any more or less than the rest.  It is simply the choices of how one uses their skill that dictates whether or not one is truly evil, just as can be said of all things in this world.

Excerpt from the Rules of Magic written by Grand Mage of the Arcane, Angelus Maximus, formerly of the Far Seeing Tribe

Important notice
These are just quick examples and summaries and will most likely be edited to include or exclude things as people comment and what have you.  Things such as enchanting armor and weapons that can be used by all the elements won't be repeated so if it's not in the others, assume that it is.

Fire  For those with a passion and exuberance for the destructive arts, look no further than fire.  Fire is a force that consumes anything in its path, yet it can also be used to light the way in dark tunnels, heal wounds if used properly to cauterize them shut, and to give warmth where otherwise there would be none.  Fire on its own as an element is a force to be reckoned with because it is also the hardest to the control given its all consuming nature if left unchecked, but for those with the patience and the skill to master it, the element can be used to great effect on and off the battlefield.  Sub magics include buffing and debuffing strength and endurance stats/boosts, manipulation of fire based light sources into portable fireballs, enchanting weapons and armor, and the summoning of fire elemental beasts and other fiends that use fire as their main source of strength.

Ice  This elemental power is reserved for the intellectually cool and collected individuals more times than not, but for anyone that has a steady head on their shoulders this power isn't out of reach.  Water is the basic form that all Ice magic takes, whether it be in the form of a blizzard or a drowning rain, all Ice based magic must begin in its most basic form when controlling the element itself.  Just as water can kill, so too can it heal by cooling fevers, hydrating plants and people alike, and it even serves as a natural environment for aquatic life across Eden.  Understanding this can serve Ice Mages well since even a land that appears to have none must to sustain any amount of life within the region.  But there is more to water than meets the eye since it can also hide valuable treasure as well as foes in mist and fog.  Sub magics include illusion and diversion spells, control over aquatic environments, creations of ice walls/blizzards and other hazards, and if applied properly, can even make inert steam powered devices work once more.

Wind  From a gentle breeze to fill the sails of a schooner to a full on tsunami full of lightning and tornado force gusts, to command the power over wind is to command Mother Nature herself.  To aiding those that wish to fly to giving control over one's own speed and grace, wind is a practice in manipulation over the environmental forces as well as oneself.  Understanding air flow, pressure waves, to enabling or disabling flying machines with the right gesture of one's hand in the right direction and with enough force makes for a very dangerous practitioner if one studies enough, same as any other branch of magic.  Sub magics include mastery over the sky itself, flight ability, speed enhancements, and even control over the force of time itself.  (Haste, Slow, and Stop mostly.)

Earth  Removing barriers of rock to creating walls of earth to protect your fellow adventurers, to damming rivers with temporary barriers of shale, Earth magic can do much.  Increasing one's defensive capabilities, to controlling the natural occurring ores found in the ground itself, Earth power is limited only by one's imagination to create or demolish whatever might be in your way.  Forge masters often employ Earth mages to help extract rare and precious gems and metals which can then be used to create very powerful weapons and armor, although it is not just the materials that make such an item, but also the skill of the forger as well.  Sub magics include manipulation over the ground itself which can then be used to whatever your need happens to be and if you have the skill to do so.

Black  Curses, hexes, siphoning life, raising the dead, controlling the mind and ensnaring the senses; all this and more can be achieved by a Black Mage.  Despite its dark reputation as being a favorite for evil mages and sorcerers, black magic does not require an evil heart to wield anymore than the rest.  Unfortunately that is often what path such mages tend to take in their quests for power and spells better left forgotten.  Even so, evil or not, black mages have control over not just life and death, but also the very laws of physics with powerful gravity based spells.  The mightiest of black mages can even call forth giant meteors and other cosmic disturbances to completely crush their enemies.

White  Healing even the most grievous of wounds, giving hope to allies, dispelling curses and hexes, and summoning divine creatures from the heavens to obliterate all evil entities before them, white mages are true and tested supporters in any party.  They are invaluable sources of strength and light, able to use their light based abilities to cure diseases, hexes, and other ill effects with just a wave of their hand and the proper incantation.  For those that take a more religious path with their magic, even more options open up, but when mixing magic and religion, things might not turn out as you always wish them to depending on the whim of your god or goddess of choice and your personal standing with them.

Vergil1989

On Prayers and Divinity

Religion is a tricky business at best, a double bladed sword at worst.  In the right hands, it has the power to heal, to mend, and to nurture those that need it most, providing shelter and succor that seek it, and to give rest as well as peace to those that have passed on to the next plane.  In the wrong hands, it can be used to control, to coerce, and to turn even the most level headed of people into homicidal maniacs.  No matter the religion in question, one thing can be known for certain; as long as they have people to worship them, the gods and goddesses of Eden will continue to rain down their blessings and their curses in equal measure.

Excerpt from Lessons on the Divine book V in the Divine Orders series written by Adriana Talvoshok, former high priestess to the church of Li, goddess of passion.

Important notice
Clerics, paladins, and other religious oriented classes benefit the most from this.  It is not required by any to choose any god or goddess, but if you do I do ask that you include a good description of what they represent and what kind of boons and what have you they give to you for your service.  If it's from a well known source such as DnD or Pathfinder, do your best to summarize what is said into your profile.

To put it bluntly, there is a religion for everything imaginable in Eden.  There are gods of murder that assassins often pay homage to before they go on their secretive missions, goddesses for passion that young lovers give tribute to, gods for young families that offer protection.  For every person, there is a choice to follow one of many gods and goddesses that one could imagine under the sun, yet such a choice doesn't come without its costs.  Disobeying a god's edicts will deliver swift and divine punishment upon the wicked and the unrighteous while faithful obedience and servitude rewards those that follow their chosen god's law.  Some offer freedom to work within the rules and code of certain gods, while others demand a strict and orderly life in service to them.  Whatever your choice, it is not required to choose any god or goddess to follow for your duration on Eden, but for those that do specific missions from the church of your choice can be gained as well as rewards in the form of weapons and armor and even spells in the element of your choice.  (Should that factor in of course.)

Vergil1989

I'm waiting on Dar to provide me with the character sheet he made for his gal before I post it up here after putting some of my own touches to it, but for now feel free to suggest anything that might make this more enjoyable for everyone.

Darwishi

Character Sheet

The Gamer

Birth Name:
Other Aliases:
Height:
Hair Color:
Eye Color:
Skin Color:
Other Distinguishing Features:
Orientation:

Description/Images

Biography

Income:
Belief System:
Marital Status:
Friends:

Personality

The Avatar

Name:
Other Aliases:
Height:
Hair Color:
Eye Color:
Skin Color:
Orientation:

Description/Images

Personality

Biography/History

Race:
Class:
Marital Status:
Friends:
History:

Magic Focus

:
:
:

Skills

:
:
:

Equipment

:
:
:

Weaknesses

:
:
: 
:

Character Sheet Code

[b][u]The Gamer[/u][/b]

[b]Birth Name:[/b]
[b]Other Aliases: [/b]
[b]Gender:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Height:[/b]
[b]Hair Color:[/b]
[b]Eye Color: [/b]
[b]Skin Color:[/b]
[b]Other Distinguishing Features:[/b]
[b]Orientation:[/b]

[spoiler=Description/Images]
[center]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[/center]
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Biography]
[b]Occupation:[/b]
[b]Income:[/b]
[b]Belief System:[/b]
[b]Marital Status:[/b]
[b]Friends:[/b]
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Personality]

[/spoiler]

[b][u]The Avatar[/u][/b]

[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Other Aliases:[/b]
[b]Gender:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Height:[/b]
[b]Hair Color:[/b]
[b]Eye Color: [/b]
[b]Skin Color:[/b]
[b]Other Distinguishing Features:[/b]
[b]Orientation:[/b]

[spoiler=Description/Images]
[center]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[/center]
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Personality]

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Biography/History]
[b]Class:[/b]
[b]Reputation:[/b]
[b]Gods Worshipped:[/b]
[b]Marital Status:[/b]
[b]Friends:[/b]
[b]History:[/b]
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Magic Focus]
[b]:[/b]
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Skills]
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Equipment]
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Weaknesses]
[/spoiler]

Vergil1989

Ok, a couple of quick notes before I let ya loose on this here character sheet provided by my partner in crime, Darwishi.  The first, as it's been hinted at before, you don't have to choose a magic school so that and your religion stuff is completely optional.  However, I ALWAYS ask that you do more than one line in both your personality and your history/background information.  The usual length I ask for is two paragraphs in history of no less than five sentences a piece and personality at least one paragraph of five sentences.  Other than that the rest is pretty much yours to do as you wish, but neither Darwishi or myself make profile sheets just for people to mess with them as they see fit, so I ask you kindly now, stick to what's been given to you already.  Beyond that, appearance can be written, a picture, or both so feel free to do with that as you wish.  Otherwise, the traditional fantasy races are good but anything a bit out there such as a demon human hybrid for example will need to be discussed with either myself or Darwishi.  Anyway, sorry for talking your ears off lol.

Darwishi

The Gamer

Birth Name: Katrina Elizabeth Worthington
Other Aliases: Kat, Katie
Height: 5'9"
Hair Color: Depends on the day of the week.  Typically she's a natural blonde.
Eye Color: Baby blue
Skin Color: Caucasian. She has fair skin and doesn't tan well.  Which is all the more reason to stay inside and play Eden Paradise VR all day.
Other Distinguishing Features: For a white girl she has a big butt, similar to the way Jessica Biel has a large derriere.  For a gamer she has a very toned physique.
Orientation: Straight

Description/Images

Katrina looks almost exactly like her avatar.  Same build, same cup size, same facial features, what mostly changes is her state of dress.  She loves her yoga pants and always games in them and a sports bra.  In fact those are her staples for clothing.  If she's to go out she'll wear jeans and a tank top or t-shirt and some sneakers.  Mostly she loves going into suspended animation and playing for days on end in the VR.  The other big difference is that she's a natural blonde, where as her avatar has bright violet hair.  Of course, depending on the week she too may have violet, pink, black, brunette, auburn, or even fire-engine red hair.

Biography

Occupation: Investment Professional (taking old money and investing smartly)
Income: Through the roof.  In 2012 standards she'd be a multi-billionaire.
Belief System: Thank God for VR.  She believes in a higher power, whether or not it's the typical Christian God or not she's not sure.  She says it is if asked by her friends, but she hardly ever believes anything from one individual denomination.
Marital Status: Single and loving it.
Friends: Jodi Whitmore, (to be filled in)

Personality

Katrina is a little bit on the quiet side, always reserved, and always thinking of new investments to make.  Her biggest investment in suspended animation and the latest VR software has paid off in great dividends.  She likes to do research on different classes in Eden and read up on the "paper" that's distributed IC while in her down time away from the VR world.  She does well enough for herself when meeting a guy in a bar and flirting with him when she feels like a one-night-stand, but other than that she does keep to herself and never seems to have a steady relationship.

The Avatar

Name: Evelyn Shade
Other Aliases: Eve (when in town or buying supplies), Shade (when on quests and missions)
Height: 5'9"
Hair Color: Violet
Eye Color: light green
Skin Color: Caucasian, fair skinned.
Other Distinguishing Features: None to speak of save for the bright purple hair.
Orientation: Straight

Description/Images

Personality

Evelyn Shade is all the things that Katrina can't be in real life.  She's far more confident and far more of a diva than in real life.  She likes to flirt but will never go to sex in the VR world.  As far as anyone's concerned Evelyn Shade is a virgin, spending all of her time concentrating on using stealth, agility, balance, and deadly accuracy with knife throwing and fighting to even consider being sexually active.  Still she's cocky but not overly so, she's clever in figuring out alternate ways to going about different chambers and is often a loner.  She has her friend she can call on at a moment's notice, but most of them owe her favors rather than the other way around.

Biography/History

Class: Assassin.  She's pure assassin.  Where as others may dabble a bit in constitution (what amounts to health points on the advanced system) and stray with their focus, she only concentrates on knife fighting, knife throwing, stealth, silence, agility, speed, and thinking outside of the box.  She avoids confrontation with enemies at all costs, instead going in for the subtle kill.  One that the rest of the enemies don't even know about until she's long gone.
Reputation: Excellent.  It's a hard thing to have good reputation when you're an assassin.  Unfortunately a lot of the time an assassin is mixed up with a mercenary, willing to do anything for the next big loot or money pit.  This comes from too many assassin classes doing exactly that.  Shade has a reputation of only accepting a mission that she feels needs her attention.  Tyrants, evil warlords, corrupt politicians, and more seem to grab her interest the most.  She hardly ever monster fights, and will do her own research on a target before accepting the mission.  Having little collateral damage makes her one of the best assassins in the game...and well liked to boot.
Gods Worshipped: None of the assassin appointed gods in the game appeal to her.  They focus too much on killing for her tastes of what she believes an assassin is supposed to be.  That said, she has taken on a few missions for the church, so long as they suit her tastes.
Marital Status: Single
Friends: Richard at the knife store. He's a naga NPC, but with the way NPC's are run much like other characters, he's one of the few she'd trust in game.  Making him her friend.
History:

Magic Focus

None!

Skills

Stealth:
Agility:
Marksmanship:
Knife Fighting:

Equipment

Spider Silk clothing:
Throwing Knives:
Twin Knives of Arelgoth:
Fighting Knives:

Weaknesses/Limitations

Low Constitution:
Stamina:
Sex Resistance: 
Monsters/Demons:

Not done with this, but my brain is cutting out.  I'll add descriptions for everything later on!

Polymorph

Hi there. Putting a partial character build in as a placeholder. I will expand and complete it after I get back from work.

The Gamer

Birth Name: Harold Jenkins
Other Aliases: Harry
Height: 5' 10"
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Blue
Skin Color: Caucasian
Other Distinguishing Features: None
Orientation: Heterosexual

Description/Images

Biography

Income: Low
Belief System: None
Friends: A few buddies in the local bar.

Personality
Harold is your typical hard working Joe. He has never been married and has rarely dated. He occasiuonally visited prostitutes, but lost interest in that years ago. VR games are his sole source of sexual outlet. Living alone his outgoings are rather modest, so although on low income he has invested in his major pastime and bought an expensive interface system for VR gaming. 

The Avatar

Name: Neferia
Other Aliases: 
Height: 5' 4"
Hair Color: Golden Brown
Eye Color: Brown
Skin Color: Middle Eastern
Orientation: Bisexual

Description/Images

Personality
Since she was created by Harold, Neferia has rarely left the city of Everesta and it's surroundings. Harold has been far more interested in his character having a good time. She sleeps with as many as possible, drinks heavily and samples any and all of the in game drugs that are available. Thieving is done only when she runs short of money to spend on this debauched lifestyle. She spends so much time in the Rusty shiv drinking and making herself available that most players who encounter her believe her to be an NPC whore. Neferia is loud, sexually wanton and rather lazy. 

Biography/History

Class: Thief
Race Human
Reputation: Notorious, Known in the city of Everesta as a slut, drunkard and for throwing her cash around when she has pulled off a robbery.
Gods Worshipped: None
Friends: The patrons of the "Rusty Shiv", Cutthroats, pickpockets and whores all, would stab you in the back as soon as look at you. 
History: Best known to thieves, assassins and other unsavoury character classes, Neferia has been almost a fixture of the Rusty shiv for several months. Neferia simply turned up there one day and settled in, if questioned about her origins she is vague. The east is given as her homeland and she claims to be the daughter of a whore and an airship sailor. She has been arrested by the city guard on several occasions for housebreaking, brawling, public lewd conduct and chicken rustling. Each time she has paid a steadily increasing fine and been released. 

Skills

: Lockpicking
: Agility
: Knifefighter
: Stealthy

Equipment

: Thieves toolkit
: Shortbow
: Daggers

Weaknesses

: Prone to alcohol/substance abuse
: Sexually promiscuous
: Low strength 
: Foolhardy

Vergil1989

The Gamer

Birth Name:  Alessa Silverstone
Other Aliases: Lessa, Silver, Dark Alessa.  (Some obscure reference to a horror game in the old days before VR was nothing more than a dream, the nickname itself a joke among her friends in reality.)
Height:  5 foot 5 inches
Hair Color:  Raven black
Eye Color:   Dark brown
Skin Color:  Pale as a ghost, and not by choice.
Other Distinguishing Features:  She's remarkably plain save for her very pale skin color which rarely ever sees the light of the sun.
Orientation:  Doesn't know, never had a chance to find out.

Description/Images

Her avatar and Alessa herself look nothing alike.  Alessa herself is a remarkably plain girl with short raven black hair, dark intelligent brown eyes, and an almost flat chest, giving her an almost tomboyish appearance.  Save for her taste in clothes which include shirt skirts, skin tight shirts and paints of various design, mostly jeans and even leather, although vary rarely, most people would assume she was a boy, an exceptionally pale one at that.

Biography

Income:  Inheritance money aside, (which would number in the millions of thousands of dollars in today's terms,) her career as a singer and dancer in the VR arena has netted her quite a chunk of change despite her early start.  She's still in the process of establishing herself but she's on the right track.
Belief System:  Despite how rough life has treated her, Alessa has always believed in the Christian version of God, at least in reality anyway.  Her avatar aside, Alessa strongly believes in helping thy neighbors, among other things, and while she doesn't try to force others to see the world from her perspective, neither will she sit by and let someone fall off the deep end if she can help it.  If she is able to help out at least one person a day, then she is happy to keep on going.
Friends:  Katrina Elizabeth Worthington, Vergil Smith.  (To be created later.)

Personality
  Despite being stuck in a wheelchair for most of her life, Alessa is a kind hearted young and intelligent woman that is not afraid to help out a friend in need with a kind word or gesture.  Despite her limited mobility in reality, Alessa doesn't let it slow her down as much as she can help it while she tries to lead a pretty active social life both in and out of the game.  Being good friends with Katrina, (who knows who she is in Eden,) the good Christian hopes to see the world with her own eyes someday, but until then she studies hard, works hard, and plays even harder.  Despite how shy she is in reality save for when she's performing in front of countless people, Alessa pours her heart and soul into everything she does, whether that might be fighting alongside one of the few good assassins in Eden, singing and dancing on a VR stage as part of her career as a performer, Alessa is a passionate woman of high hopes and great determination and strength despite what she has to deal with on a regular basis.  While she has few good friends in or out of Eden, Alessa cherishes and treasures the ones she has with all of her considerable heart.

The Avatar

Name:  Eldrith Lightstone
Other Aliases: Eldrith the Quick, Eldrith the Monk, and Eldrith the Unrelenting Fist of the East
Height:   5 foot 10 inches
Hair Color:  Lustrous spun silk gold hair
Eye Color:   Sparkling sea green orbs
Skin Color:  Radiant and fair sun kissed skin
Other Distinguishing Features:  Besides the fact she's a master of the warrior monk arts which has given her the toned figure and physique to match, Eldrith is remarkably beautiful even for her elven kind.
Orientation:  Bisexual

Description/Images

Example of outfit she favors.

Personality
  Eldrith is similar to Alessa in that they both wish to help as many people as they can.  But while Alessa uses words and kind gestures to accomplish this, the monk she portrays takes a more physical route to solve other people's problems if talking doesn't help or it would be a waste of time to try.  Her avatar is strong, confident, and not afraid of anything thrown in her path, yet despite her warrior way of life, she can still stop and enjoy the company and companionship of others just as easily as she can beat down a red dragon on her own....and win.  Unlike Alessa, Eldrith is far more outgoing and not the least bit shy to speak her true feelings save for those that know the real her, (which are few and far between.)  Then she tends to revert back a little bit to her true self which is shy and soft spoken, but not nearly as much as Alessa herself.

Biography/History

Class: Monk
Race;  Light elf
Reputation:  She's a champion for the well being and defense of others, and so the general populace loves her for all that she does for them regardless of race, creed, gender, or social standing in Eden's rich world.  Most people that play monks tend to stick with their home areas, doing little more than train until they feel they are ready to go out on adventures.  Eldrith however, chose to do her training on the road at the behest of her former mentor, and Eden has benefited greatly from such a decision.
Gods Worshipped:  (DnD reference page.)
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Corellon

The elves are sculptors and wardens of magic's endless mysteries. Bring forth the beauty that envelops and let the spirit gambol unfettered. Seek out new experiences and new ways. Ward against those that would destroy what they cannot create. Commune with the natural and mystical world. Be ever vigilant against the return of the banished darkness, and be strong in heart against the corruption it brings.
Corellon Larathain's Dogma

Marital Status:  Single but looking
Friends:  Evelyn Shade, Richard the friendly naga shopkeeper in Everesta, and her NPC mentor before she passed on from old age.
History: 
Eldrith Silverstone once called the holy temple that was located deep within the mountainous range of Osyndar, home until her mentor passed on to the other side after living a full and complete life.  She never did learn if she was an NPC or a human player that had simply retired after teaching her all she knew, but regardless Eldrith gave the old warrior woman a proper burial before putting the mountain fortress behind her.  Her teacher had promised to stay around until she had completed an epic quest, and she had kept her word, dying soon after seeing for herself how strong Eldrith/Alessa had become.  Far flung from civilization, Eldrith grew stronger as she traveled back west, finding her way to Everesta a month after walking the whole way from Osyndar, helping people and defeating creatures along the way as she did.  Her travels across Eden's countryside had earned her many names of respect among the populace, hence why she's called Eldrith the Unrelenting Fist of the East, among other things.  Her resolve and determination have seen her through many fights and they will likely see her through many more before her own time is done.

Alessa's/Eldrith's initial decision to become a monk didn't start out so humbly however.  She had thought of trying to become a thief but wound up regretting that when her first mark ended up grabbing her hand so quickly that she was dazed by the old woman's abilities.  Their relationship from then on was love/hate at best since she had met her soon to be mentor and best friend, next to Evelyn of course.  Eventually they won the other's respect and became close friends afterward.  It'd be many in-game years of traveling the areas around Osyndar Mountain Range, honing her skill, learning to care for herself and her ailing teacher before Eldrith became the woman she would be in the future, but the trials she faced then would help her to stand stronger than ever later.  Still, it was a sad day to leave it all behind, but thanks to her mentor's teachings, Eldrith hopes to do the old woman proud and has continued to uphold all that she had learned for the betterment of all of Eden.

Magic Focus

:Healing.  (Partly from her monk training and partly from training as a white mage.  Can heal wounds as well as remove ill effects such as curses, hexes, and poisons both naturally occurring in monsters and demons, as well as those made by assassins and their ilk if they aren't too potent.)
:Divine protection.  (Able to ward off the medium level undead and medium level demons, provided she has enough time to pray to her god for such protection.)
:

Skills

:Hand to hand master
:Quarterstaff expert
:Agility
:Negotiating

Equipment

: Staff of the Silver Blessed.  Her quarterstaff was enchanted long before she got a hold of it with the power to thoroughly harm lycans, ghosts, and other beasts that do not tolerate being hit by silver at all.
: Maiden of the East Robes and Armor Set.  Gloves, boots, skirt, pants, and the richly embroidered robe itself all serve the purpose of increasing her considerable strength and speed as a monk, as well as granting some elemental resistances for most medium level spells that are thrown her way.
: Dragon Eye Talisman.  Having slain a red dragon, she was able to have harvested parts from the giant beast as part of an epic quest line to make a dragon eye necklace which she still wears today.  The mystical power of her talisman grant her the ability of limited dragon sight, making her eyes change shape and size while empowering her already sharp vision as an elf to even greater heights than ever before.

Weaknesses

: No sexual resistances
: Monsters and demons in general, although so far she's yet to be raped by any of them.
: Alcohol and substance abuse has never crossed her mind, so she has no resistance to such should it be forced upon her 
: While her friends are her greatest strength, they are also her weakness since she'd willingly walk into a trap to save them.

And before I forget, there needs to be a Race section thrown in as well.  Squeeze it in between Class and Reputation  and it should be good.  Sorry for the inconvenience guys and gals.

And Polymorph, so far your character/avatar is looking quite promising.  The one small thing though is that Eden is the name of the world everyone's in, Everesta is just the starting town just to be clear there's no confusion.  If I am just tired and not comprehending it the right way feel free to kick me lol.  Other than that small thing which is probably mostly me being sleepy, it looks good.

Saric

Color me interested. I'll take some time working up a character though.
"I believe in dragons, good men, and other fantasy creatures." - Slovotsky's Law #42

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”― Neil Gaiman, Coraline

“The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.” - Terry Pratchett (Rest in Peace, Master Storyteller)

minerva7790

I'm trying to write up a bio, but looking at the long character sheet, I doubt I'll be done by today... Will have it up when I'm done!
'But I will wear my heart upon my sleeve
For daws to peck at: I am not what I am.'

Ons and Offs ~ Absences and Apologies

Darwishi

No problem.  You essentially have to write it up for two characters so it's understandable if it takes a couple of days.  I've got a project to be working on today, so even mine won't be finished in two days. =P

Vergil1989

Ah no worries guys and gals about needing time to make up your people.  I am allowing a max of two characters a person, but beyond that I would most likely deny anymore.  Beyond that, spread the word, see who might like to join up, and hopefully we'll get a good cast behind this game lol.  I'll throw in a tech post later on today but for the most part just assume that there is some indoor plumping for the more well appointed buildings, steam powered airships, and the first black powder cannons as far as modern day weaponry is concerned.  Anything stronger than a blunderbuss will be denied as far as hand held weapons are concerned, so gunsmiths and gunslingers are always welcome lol.

Vergil1989

The Gamer

Birth Name:  Vergil Smith
Other Aliases:   Gearhead, Ironheade, Metalhead. 
Height:  5 foot 7 inches
Hair Color:  Chestnut brown
Eye Color:   Left eye is green, right eye is blue.
Skin Color:  Fairly white.
Other Distinguishing Features:  Oddly enough he has a pair of repeater crossbows on either side of his spine.
Orientation:  Straight

Description/Images

Biography

Income:  There's high demand for robotics engineers these days and so they pay quite well.  Vergil is one of the best of his time due to his seemingly innate understanding on how things go together and how they should work when completed.  Because of this, he has more than enough money to afford the entire VR experience.
Belief System: None
Marital Status:  Single
Friends: Alessa Silverstone, (will add more when more people sign up.)

Personality
  Kind, courteous, a perfect gentleman overall, Vergil is always eager to lend a hand wherever it might be needed.  Rarely one to get angry, he has never had to raise his voice to be heard or to be understood so far.  While he is pretty calm, some things can get his blood boiling but rarely does it ever come up.  The few things that truly bother him are those that would take advantage of other people or those that say senseless things to verbally hurt another person either accidentally or on purpose.  Even so, as long as you keep his trust, you'll have a friend for life.

The Avatar

Name:  Zachariah
Other Aliases:  He Who Hunts the Night
Height:  6 foot 2 inches
Hair Color:  Silver gray
Eye Color:   Two burning coals of yellow that shine in the dark
Skin Color:  Ebony stone
Other Distinguishing Features:  Just as his player, Zachariah has two repeater crossbows forever burned into his back on either side of his spine.
Orientation:  Straight

Description/Images

Personality
  "You always have a choice.  Will you be prey, or the hunter?"  Despite his desire for revenge against every last demon, Zachariah still has the ability to enjoy the company of others.  Despite the heavy losses he's had to endure, the demon hunter has sworn never to lose another friend if he can help it despite how few can honestly call him as such and be worthy of such a risk.  He doesn't show any weakness to his enemies, ruthlessly picking them off without hesitation or thought.  The few demons that beg for mercy receive none from him.

Biography/History

Class:  Demon Hunter
Race;  Dark Elf
Reputation:  While most consider dark elves to be chaos incarnate, Zachariah has proven that not all those that bear his dark skin are to be feared.  Despite his ways as a Demon Hunter, a dark assassin of all things from the Hells that exist alongside Eden's own plane of existence, the former ranger has carved out a name for himself as an avenger for those that have known the horror of what demons are capable of, destroying anything of demonic origin without hesitation.
Gods Worshipped:  He used to worship the goddess of the forests and of the wild places in the world, but ever since the destruction of his village, Zachariah gave up on blind faith and lives only to exterminate every last demon from existence.
Marital Status:  Single
Friends: Eldrith Lightstone
History: Diablo 3 - The Demon Hunter Trailer
Coming home from a seven day trip into the woods around the hidden dark elf village that was once full of the dark skinned folk that if not for their skin, could have been mistaken for a town of light elves, Zachariah wasn't greeted by the usual hubbub he was used to but instead found his home completely destroyed.  People he had grown to like a great deal were scattered about, mutilated and dismembered, even a few had been partially consumed upon closer inspection.  He didn't have to wait for long to know what had done all this as demons started to howl and growl all around what was left of his home.  He did the only thing he could, Zachariah ran, and didn't stop until he couldn't run any longer.

Having made a pitiful excuse for a camp, unable to sleep despite being utterly drained, Zachariah waited for his end as he heard heavy footsteps and the occasional growl from the forest around him.  Despite his efforts, they had still found him.  The young ranger sighed heavily, too tired to care until his sharp hearing heard far lighter footsteps heading his way.  He immediately snapped his gaze towards the human and couldn't help but wonder who or what this warrior was thinking, heavily armed for war if he had to guess.  "You ran...until you couldn't run anymore, didn't you?  I remember that feeling."  Zachariah said nothing but nodded, confirming his strange guest's words.  The hunter didn't flinch an inch as another demonic growl echoed around the camp, but Zachariah flinched visibly.  "We're going to die out here....aren't we?"  "No.  As long as I draw breath, they are the prey, and I am the hunter."  What followed was something that would forever burn itself into the dark elf's memory forever as the hunter unleashed a Hell of his own on the abominations that decided then that it was time to feast on living flesh again.  None escaped to harm anymore people.  As if reading his mind, the demon hunter held out one of his repeater crossbows to Zachariah, handle grip first.  "You always have a choice.  Will you be prey, or the hunter?"  The choice had been easy to make after that.

Magic Focus

:Black magic enchanting.  (Limited use of spells such as siphon life, poisoning, and some shadow magics.)

Skills

:Master marksmanship
:Explosive craftsmanship
:Acrobatic
:Agility
:Demon Loremaster.  Know thy enemy.  Knowing the enemy grants bonuses in fighting them, as well as healing any ill effects they leave behind

Equipment

:Dark Demon Skin Armor.  This armor set of boots, fingerless gloves, chest armor, hooded cloak, and pants grants high boosts to a demon hunter's agility and speed in general.  It also grants protection against most demonic spells and poisons given the fact that the armor is made from skinned and boned demons while they are still alive.
:Twin Repeater Crossbows of Limitless Pain.  These enchanted steam powered crossbows require no ammo or reloading.  The bolts they fire can be enchanted with various alchemical components and magic spells for added destructive power.
:

Weaknesses

:Sudden changes in light or bright lights in general.
:Overwhelming his sharp hearing with loud yells or explosions
:No sexual resistances 
:Elemental magics tend to cause him trouble.