Scott Pilgrim vs. The World. The Winner: Us. (Caution: may be spoilers)

Started by Starlequin, August 14, 2010, 12:48:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Starlequin

OK, just got back from seeing this movie and I thought I'd try my hand at writing a review while the whole adventure is still fresh in my mind. I've never actually done a review before, so I'll just jump right in. That said, this review might suck. But the movie definitely doesn't.  (Due to a spotty internet connection, there will be factual errors and discrepancies. Some won't even be my fault.)

For those two or three people left who don't know, the movie is based on a (pretty cool) Canadian cult indie graphic novel series by...some Canadian. I think his name is Miller or something. We can look that up later. Moving on...

I could do a whole thing on the cast, but there's kind of a lot of them and I'm pretty lazy, so I'll let someone else handle that. Suffice it to say, they were all pretty awesome. (Michael Cera's voice still reminds me of being slapped repeatedly with a half-full ziploc bag of feathers, and Brandon Routh can't pull it off as a blond, but these are insignificant nags when compared to the whole of the film.)

The effects were, IMO, not that bad. The entire intro was in 8-bit, and it was totally believable when all of the villains exploded into piles of coins. The fight scenes were pretty exciting, surprisingly well choreographed and deliciously over the top. And I wish to whatever higher power is listening that I could get high scores just for doing the same everyday shit I already do. Or pull flaming swords out of my chest whenever I needed one, which sure it's not that often but still it'd be awesome and I think really kind of comforting if I could. That too.

The music. Damn, man, the music. This movie's soundtrack kicked more ass than a Terminator in a Richard Nixon costume riding a velociraptor. I'd totally buy it if I could actually afford it and hadn't pirated it already. Also, completely re-inspired me to learn to play bass guitar again. I might even practice this time.

The story was a wee bit on the odd side, like a chicken driving a monster truck. Something you don't see everyday, but still pretty freakin' awesome. The best frame of mind to watch this in is probably something close to "I love logic, but I'm not in love with logic." I lost count of the number of video game, comic, and geek culture references after the first twenty minutes. Also, I don't know what a hipster is, or does, but if they're anything at all like the smoking hot demon chicks the first villain conjured out of thin air, I will sign up right frakkin' now.

I'm probably leaving a lot of stuff out. AAMOF, I'm sure I am. You know what? Screw it. Go see the movie. It's awesome. Seriously, the odds of another movie ever coming out with a tagline like 'An epic of epic epicness' and managing to live up to it are probably literally astronomical.

Check. It. Out.

(BTW: Panthean, we apologize sincerely for having missed your original thread and were unaware that someone had already posted on the movie. Um...our bad. But we still hope someone will enjoy this post, anyway.)
You live for the fight when it's all that you've got.

Callie Del Noire

The Roommate killed me. The whole way he was like the monster social networking beast who can alert everyone even when he's passed out drunk.

Synecdoche17

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on August 14, 2010, 07:00:51 PM
The Roommate killed me. The whole way he was like the monster social networking beast who can alert everyone even when he's passed out drunk.
The scene with Scott's sister's boyfriend was fantastic! "Dammit, Wallace! Not AGAIN!"
I know a guy like that, so it was extra hilarious to me.  ;D
A book, a woman, and a flask of wine: /The three make heaven for me; it may be thine / Is some sour place of singing cold and bare — / But then, I never said thy heaven was mine.

Ons & Offs, Stories in Progress, and Story Ideas
Absences and Apologies

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Synecdoche17 on August 15, 2010, 05:51:55 PM
The scene with Scott's sister's boyfriend was fantastic! "Dammit, Wallace! Not AGAIN!"
I know a guy like that, so it was extra hilarious to me.  ;D

Wallace is an evil dog!

Starlequin

He really is. His personality reminded me of my own so much at times during the film, I wondered if I might be gay. But then someone would mention the Chinese Catholic school girlfriend again, and my brain stopped thinking about it.

Callie Del Noire

Yeah Knives went quickly down the 'creepy stalk girl' road too.

I like the hit she took though. "You knocked her highlights out."

Remiel

Heh, good review, Starlequin.  Do you have a blog or anything?  You have an entertaining style of writing.  :-)

Starlequin

Thank you for saying so, Remiel. I'm always flattered when someone likes my writing. I do not in fact have a blog, but I have been mulling over the idea of starting one for a few weeks. Think the Internet could handle one more wise-ass critic?

Jocelyn Isnt Here

I remember that I became really stuck on the song that Scott's ex girlfriend's band played, and then I bought the album and put that song on repeat. That movie was good.
"I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Jocelyn Isnt Here on August 19, 2010, 09:13:33 PM
I remember that I became really stuck on the song that Scott's ex girlfriend's band played, and then I bought the album and put that song on repeat. That movie was good.

That song is insidous.

Serra Iscariot

Very good review. I liked the movie a lot and I was actually surprised. Usually the movies with trailers and taglines like that are meant to be stupid humor... as opposed to good fun humor.

I think my favorite scene was when Ramona fought her evil ex girlfriend to defend Scott. That was awesome.

And you are write, the soundtrack was awesome. I was incredibly impressed with the whole thing!

Phobetor

Not Available for new Stories.
Taking a break from E.