News:

"The Most Precious Jewel [One Shot: NC-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Stranger in a Strange Land [Windows 7...]

Started by DarklingAlice, September 17, 2011, 11:25:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarklingAlice

Okay, so since a tizzy between me and Microsoft about 5 years ago I switched over to Linux. For the most part I never looked back. However for everything there is a season, and my venerable laptop stopped filling all but the most basic needs.

Cue new computer. New computer comes with Windows 7. So I figure that I will give it a try, see what the old neighborhood looks like. Here's the issue though: I don't know the best program suite for a Windows computer.

So I am basically looking for recommendations:
-Browsers (I assume Firefox is still just as good on Windows)
-Aggregate Instant Messinging Programs
-Anything else you have trouble living without?
-Any security advice or performance tweaks for Windows 7?
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, elegant, and wrong.

Trieste

Firefox, with adblock plus and lazarus add-ons.

Trillian (I have Trillian Pro, and I love it).

I use OneNote a lot, but ymmv on that one.

Disabling reboot on BSOD helps for the occasional error (though I don't really get them, so again ymmv).

Keep an eye on your startup list, and what programs are in there. For security, I use malwarebytes, spybot, Windows defender, CCleaner... I think that's all.

Sarena

Browsers, in order of preference:  Google Chrome, Firefox, anything but IE, IE.

Microsoft Security Essentials is free, and for me, one of the best for virus protection.  I think it's one of the few things Microsoft got absolutely right.

One Note is awesome, and the Sticky Notes is something that I cannot live without. 

Trillian and AIM are the only two IMers I use, Trillian because I can put more than one IM program under one umbrella and it uses less resources that way.  AIM, because I have two accounts, I use my main one for family and friends through Trillian and the other is strictly E related, so I use AIM for that one.  Haven't had any issues yet.

Windows 7 is a pretty good set up.  I have to admit, I was skeptical, but when I bought my laptop, I fell in love with the OS and paid to upgrade my desktop from Vista to 7.  It was worth it. 
I can go from southern belle to ghetto thug faster than you can say "Bless your heart".

Trieste

Sorry, yes, Microsoft Security Essentials, not Windows Defender.

I don't actually know where I got Windows Defender out of, other than the MSE icon looks like a little castle.

DarklingAlice

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, elegant, and wrong.

Legion

You're all so eager to run from IE although the newer version are quite good currently IE 9 is among the most secure browsers out there, yes the previous versions have been terrible at best but you shouldn't be so fast to run away from it these days it has come a very long way in its last two versions.

Other than this I really have nothing more to say that the other two haven't mentioned, MSE and MBAM are both brilliant pieces of software that I recommend to anyone.

For an aggregated IM Pigin works quite well or so I have heard

Trieste

Kindly stay on the OP's topic, rather than (intentionally or unintentionally) picking a fight about browsers. Thank you. :)

Oniya

You might also check out Veks' sticky down in Elliquiy U about PC security - things like keeping Flash scrupulously updated, and not using a third-party PDF reader. (Acrobat Reader has some security holes.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

DarklingAlice

Okay, so I have run into a specific problem!

I need a program like Comix, but for windows. Something that can read a comic book from a .zip or .cbr file without having to extract all the images and clutter my hard drive. Preferably free...

Any suggestions?

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Nessy

Quote from: DarklingAlice on September 17, 2011, 11:25:54 AM

So I am basically looking for recommendations:
-Browsers (I assume Firefox is still just as good on Windows)
-Aggregate Instant Messinging Programs
-Anything else you have trouble living without?
-Any security advice or performance tweaks for Windows 7?
IE 9 performs very well w Win 7
Windows Security Essentials is free, has a low footprint and does a pretty good job. Win 7 also scaled back security headaches from Vista so there isn't a lot of tweaks you need to do to avoid pounding on the keyboards in anger.

Just general advice, since you asked for it. I know a few peope who spent a lot of time trying to make Win 7 look and behave like XP rather than adjust to it. I would advice you to give it a whirl and work with the new before trying to imitate the old. Win 7 is more secure than the earlier versions, but still be careful. It far from perfect. Windows Firewall also works very well as a Firewall. Zone Alarm and Comodo had issues with 7 64 bit, but those were probably ironed dout. I am not 100% sure since Win Firewall gave me few enough headaches to just stick with it.

Also for comics. There are some tricks with add-ons from a site i visit sometimes  http://www.howtogeek.com/66060/how-to-read-webcomics-offline-in-comic-book-reader-format/

not sure about the rest :-)
Ons and Offs    Short Term Ideas,
Misc. Long Term Ideas

If you send me a PM and I don't respond, chances are I just missed it. Send it again!

Some heroes don't wear capes. Some just #holdthedoor.

DarklingAlice

Quote from: Nessy on September 21, 2011, 10:02:43 PM
Just general advice, since you asked for it. I know a few peope who spent a lot of time trying to make Win 7 look and behave like XP rather than adjust to it.

Yeah...I haven't used XP in years I am not even sure what it looks and behaves like anymore...

And thanks to the both of you for the comics suggestions!

DarklingAlice

Okay, so can anyone answer this one: what is Adobe AIR? Why did it come installed on my computer? And is it going to be the security risk that all other Adobe products seem to be?

Oniya

http://www.adobe.com/products/air/faq/  It probably came with Acrobat Reader 9.0, and lets you run Flash, Java, and HTML apps outside of an actual browser. From the information on Adobe's site, it may have a more robust security.  (I always take a company's own FAQ with a grain or two of salt.)