Cop Show style game, Recruiting for the Ubiquitous PD! Fem Detective Required.

Started by Chrystal, December 19, 2014, 05:49:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrystal

Well, in that case, character sheet is up, and recruitment for the City of Ubiquitous Police Department (Homicide Division) is now open!

The post linked below holds the character sheet.

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=219832.msg10812086#msg10812086

Please check out my latest A/A post.
I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

Nowherewoman

Player ID:Nowherewoman

Name: Rosa Danilo

Hair Colour: Black (going prematurely salt-and-pepper)

Eye Colour: Brown.

Build: Lean and athletic, but a bit busty.

Rank/Job: Det. 1, newly assigned to Homicide.

Role: Street 'ear'

Likes: Running; working out; time on the firing range; rousting informants and wiseasses; perps who try to run; padding her earnings; late nights at the local cop or ganger hangs, drinking and lying.

Dislikes: Paperwork; overly picky judges; perps who try to run; punks who don't respect the badge; living on her basic salary; cops who hit their wives.

Personality: Flip-flops between sultry, teasing, and accomodating, and brassy and all up in your face, depending on the situation. A few street beat guys call her the 'Crazy Cop Cunt'- but never when she's within three or four blocks.

History: Rosie's a good cop- but she ain't a 'good' cop, if you know what I mean. A seven-year vet of both undercover Vice ops and the OC division, she has a solid record of arrests, and a better-than average conviction rate.

But.

Every so often, evidence crucial to one of her cases has been 'lost in processing'. A witness or two has recanted an unshakable story. And there's no question she likes hanging with the wiseguys, drinking their booze and leaving them wonderin' if they're gonna get a piece (It's rumored one or two have). IAB has an open file on her but, since she's smart enough to not live high above her means, is cagey enough to share the love with certain people in the Department who can cover her ass, and has never once been suspected of turning a blind eye to a real bad actor, so far they haven't dropped the hammer. And she knows folks, folks it's good for cops to know. They like her, or fear her- either way, they talk to her.  So, for now, while she's not the Golden Girl of the precinct, she's not totally on the shitlist, either. She's recently been transferred to Homicide on the theory that it'll be easier for her to keep her nose clean there, since letting a killer walk is against even her loose rules- and stiffs don't usually offer up bribes.

Any Other Info: A former collegiate track-and-fielder, Rosa keeps herself in shape, and runs a half-marathon every few months during the season. While her shooting skills wouldn't impress a Marine (or the Department Rangemasters), they're good enough to keep her in free beer from friendly wagers, especially when macho rookies try to 'front.  Despite her decidedly 'street' persona, Rosa actually has a BA in American History and a LL.M in Trial Advocacy- one of the things that makes her so effective in court. She could do better, financially, if she didn't like the rough and tumble of being a street cop; likely, she'd be tapped for brass if she weren't a greedy little bitch, always on the lookout for an angle.
Instead of obsessing on the person you want to be, focus on who you DON'T want to be. It's much easier to not do certain things than to break your head on some ideal of yourself.

When the dust settles, you may find out you've become who you were supposed to be all along.

more me here now!  (O/Os, ideas and junk): https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=215830.0

and mea culpas  (A/As): https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=221151.0

MissFire

Player ID:MissFire

Name: Cassidy Locke

Hair Colour: Black

Eye Colour: Brown

Build: Slender

Rank/Job: Forensic Scientist/Crime Scene Investigator

Role: Geeky Lab Tech

Likes: Computers, Punk Rock, Sci-Fi, Sherlock Holmes, New Technology

Dislikes: Country Music, Power Outages, Boredom, Antiquated Tech, Being Stumped

Personality:  When seen outside of the office it might be impossible to believe that she has multiple science degrees, owns a first edition Hound of The Baskvervilles, and can repeat pi to a hundred places. While she looks more like she'd belong in some dark club bopping around to droning music, Cass would rather spend time in her lab. People might mistake her for a perky Goth, but she'd never admit to having that 'goth' vibe and vehemently claims herself as more punk than anything else. Cass is energetic, friendly, and always ready to help - just don't get on her bad side though, as she'll be keen to remind you that she could probably kill you without leaving evidence.

History: Cass has been a fan of detective mysteries ever since her father used to read her Sherlock Holmes stories before bed. She basically grew up with a love of detectives and mysteries and never wavered from making that her career choice. With a keen interest in deductive reasoning and science, Cass quickly turned into a lover of forensics and when she was old enough she enrolled in college. She proved to have a real knack for many fields and worked hard on degrees in Chemistry, Biology, and Forensic Science.

Her punkish appearance belies a keen investigative and scientific mind, but most departments only saw her for her outward appearance. With a staunch refusal to change who she is, Cass didn't attempt to 'clean herself up' in order to land her dream job. At least until she was involved in a case of her own. A year ago, a man by the name of Mark DeRullio broke into the apartment next door, seeking revenge on his ex-girlfriend. Cassidy was the first one to hear the confrontation and the first one on the scene. Her insight into the crime scene first had her pegged as a suspect, but later evidence not only proved her innocent, but her deductions spot on as well. Impressed, the department hired her on.

Any Other Info: Addt'l Image 1, Addt'l Image 2, Theme Song
"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die."
    - Sima Yi

Chrystal

Okay, MissFire and NW you get away with it this time.

I did actually ask for characters to be PMed to me for approval.

But, I'll let you both off because they are great.

@ Missfire, I take it you watch NCIS? If not, you probably should. *grins* Cassidy is about as close to Abby Sciuto as you can get without me calling "Canon"! Well done!

@ Nowhere, being an ignorant Brit I have no idea what the III signifies? I'm assuming it's a grade or rank, but I'd appreciate being enlightened?

All of a sudden I'm beginning to think this is actually going to work!

Now we need a ME. I have a feeling I can persuade someone...

I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

MissFire

Sorry, I didn't notice that you wanted them PM'd. Actually, I don't watch NCIS! Or any of those crime shows, really. Just the 'real' stuff like Forensic Files.
"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die."
    - Sima Yi

Chrystal

Really? Then it must be that Abby Sciuto is based on real forensics people...

See what I mean?

And that is one of her less goth looks!

(Actually one of the scariest things was when they did a Halloween special and they made Pauley Perette (the actress who plays Abby) up to be Marilyn Monroe!)

MissFire

Yup. The only crime drama I really liked was Monk, and I'm not sure that really counts..
    - Sima Yi

Chrystal

Oh, I loved Monk... *sings softly* "It's a jungle out there..."

He certainly counts, as does "The Mentalist". "Perception" not so much. "Psych" maybe, but "Medium" is a definite NO!

Nowherewoman

Quote from: MissFire on December 23, 2014, 05:45:37 PM
Sorry, I didn't notice that you wanted them PM'd. Actually, I don't watch NCIS! Or any of those crime shows, really. Just the 'real' stuff like Forensic Files.

LOL nor did I. I saw 'character sheet' and my head went into overdrive.  I also had my usual issues with cutting and pasting, and vanishing text/images in El's editor, so I might have been a wee distracted. And annoyed. Srryloveyabai.

And yes, Detective 3rd class. However, after some research, I see I got the ranking backwards. She should be a D-1, since 2 and 3 are higher ranks, and often supervisory- a role she will never hold, given her sticky fingers. Editing.
Instead of obsessing on the person you want to be, focus on who you DON'T want to be. It's much easier to not do certain things than to break your head on some ideal of yourself.

When the dust settles, you may find out you've become who you were supposed to be all along.

more me here now!  (O/Os, ideas and junk): https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=215830.0

Chrystal

It's okay. I still love you. Even if you are using Internet Explorer.

Red and EK, you may post your character sheets here if you wish.

Ehlam? Are you still having trouble because of the "lollipop" thing? Sorry about that! I was actually wondering if, as part of the "trope" you might want to give him a habit of eating some other form of candy...!

As an aside, I always wonder if the character of Kojak was given the lollipop habit because he had given up smoking in the past...

Once I have Ehlam's character we can actually make a start, because all the vital roles have now been filled (Unless EJ does something unexpected). Any more players can still join, of course, as long as there are slots available...I just need to figure out which grizzly end the victim is going to meet.

RedEve

Player ID: RedEve

Name: Holly De Santis

Hair Colour: Black

Eye Colour: Brown

Build: 5’6, medium build

Rank/Job: Police detective

Role: Female cop with a chaotic and rebellious streak and a reputation for a complicated love life (though a mere mention of the latter will anger her)

Likes: Spaghetti westerns, 70s rock songs, classic cars, tall and rugged looking men, chocolate ice-cream, micro-brew. She also has a slightly morbid fascination with dead bodies (which creeps out some of her colleagues upon visits to the morgue)

Dislikes: Gossip, incompetence, assholes who question her ability because of her gender, reality TV, people who are too critical of cops

Personality: Holly has issues with authority that go back to her lack of a father figure whilst growing up. As such, she clashed with authority figures from an early age and this has persisted until the present. She is however quite committed to her job, and this can border on obsession if a case really gets under her skin. She’s a good cop but she has a bit of a temper and has been known to lose her cool when people really get on her nerves. This applies to both colleagues and suspects in her investigations. She has commitment issues which is why none of her relationship have lasted beyond a year and she actually prefers one night stands.

Her taste in men isn’t great and one a few occasions her romantic endeavors might have threatened her professionally, if not for the help and discretion of a few colleagues. She isn’t without a fun streak and enjoys kicking back a few drinks with her fellow officers after a long day’s work.

History: Holly’s father walked on her mother when she was three years old, leaving the care of her and her sister to her now single mom. Her grandparents and her uncle helped out when they could, but the former lived in another state and didn’t have much money to spare, and the latter had a family of his own to take care of. Still, Holly’s only real role model whilst growing up was her uncle Paul, who worked as a beat cop until his retirement. The happiest days of her childhood were those when her uncle would let her ride in his patrol car.

Where her older sister Margaret went into a career that her mother approved of – she became a nurse – Holly’s choice left her mother horrified, but no amount of talking could persuade her daughter against joining the academy. Like her uncle she was a beat cop for quite a few years, and finally made detective at the age of 29. She initially worked in robbery, but transferred to homicide at the age of 33. She is a good cop with an above average track record, though her tendency to bend the rules as far as they will go has cost her one or two opportunities at a promotion. But Holly gets more satisfaction from getting results than from gaining in rank.

Any Other Info: carries a Beretta 3032 Tomcat as a back-up weapon.
"I don't have a dirty mind, I have a sexy imagination."
My ons and offs- My F-list

RedEve

Oh and BTW Chrystal, I did use one aspect of Orphan Blacks Angela DeAngelis for my own character: her dead body fascination (and the fact that it creeps out her partner a bit).  :-)

"I don't have a dirty mind, I have a sexy imagination."
My ons and offs- My F-list

Chrystal

Oh, that's fine. My main worry is, for example, if MissFire had used Pauley Perette as her character pic and called the character "Andi Scarroti" or something!

(Sorry MissFire, that was the most obvious example I could think of).

I have no problem with lifting parts of the trope from a canon character, but I want people to put thought into their characters rather than just copying someone else's idea!

Nowherewoman

Quote from: Chrystal on December 24, 2014, 06:03:01 AM
It's okay. I still love you. Even if you are using Internet Explorer.

Actually, I'm not :/ Chrome. And every so often, the editor here shits on it.

Also:

Lt. Theo Kojak was a bald New York City detective with a fondness for lollipops and whose tagline was "Who loves ya, baby?" (He also liked to say "Everybody should have a little Greek in them.") Although the lollipop gimmick was added in order to indulge his sweet tooth, Savalas also smoked heavily onscreen – cigarettes, cigarillos and cigars – throughout the first season's episodes. The critic Clive James explained the lead actor's appeal as Kojak: "Telly Savalas can make bad slang sound like good slang and good slang sound like lyric poetry. It isn't what he is, so much as the way he talks, that gets you tuning in."[5]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telly_Savalas

Chrystal

Quote from: Nowherewoman on December 24, 2014, 08:51:04 AM

Actually, I'm not :/ Chrome. And every so often, the editor here shits on it.

*facepalm* Sorry, I totally misread what you said - I saw El and read it as IE for some stupid reason!

QuoteAlso:

Lt. Theo Kojak was a bald New York City detective with a fondness for lollipops and whose tagline was "Who loves ya, baby?" (He also liked to say "Everybody should have a little Greek in them.") Although the lollipop gimmick was added in order to indulge his sweet tooth, Savalas also smoked heavily onscreen – cigarettes, cigarillos and cigars – throughout the first season's episodes. The critic Clive James explained the lead actor's appeal as Kojak: "Telly Savalas can make bad slang sound like good slang and good slang sound like lyric poetry. It isn't what he is, so much as the way he talks, that gets you tuning in."[5]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telly_Savalas

Interesting. There was a time a few years ago when I wouldn't have trusted Wikipedia any further than I could throw it, but now it has become pretty much the font of all wisdom!

OOC thread will be up later today.

Does anyone have a preference for a name for the game?

I've got a few options:

The Detectives
The Ubiquitous Killer
UPD Homicide
To Catch A Killer

Any other suggestions?

Nowherewoman

Sparky01

Player ID:  EhlamJanx

Name:  Frank Gunselman

Hair Colour:  N/A

Eye Colour:  Brown

Build:   5'9" with a muscular physique

Rank/Job:  Detective Lieutenant

Role:  Investigation lead, co-lead depending

Likes:  Order, discipline, getting results, interrogation, confession

Dislikes:  Red tape, bueracracy, defense lawyers

Personality:  Stoic, tough and firm, he is no-nonsense detective.  He has an ego that he can back up by his record, but it doesn't overreach his abilities.  His ego pertains to his efficacy as a cop, he is rather tame personally.  He loves his job and it is his focus.

History:  A life long member of the UPD, he and his two brothers are on the force as their father was.  A career of over twenty years, he has risen through the ranks of beat cop, patrol and the detective bureau.  He holds a Master's Criminal Justice degree from Upper Ubiquitus University that he earned in evening courses.

He is a go getter and a results oriented man.  As such, he has been an honored and decorated member of the force.  His record is fairly clean in that there are no major deviations in it.  There are more than a few complaints of excessive force, queationable interrogation tactics and unlawful searches.  These minor infractions have been in pursuit of evidence and have been dealt with amicably.  His track record has many more arrests, convictions and commendations than blemishes. 

Any Other Info:  He is divorced, his wife left him for a woman five years ago.  They maintain contact and friendship.    He has one adult daughter who is the center of his life.  At age 21, she lives a sordid and tumultuous life that Frank is drawn into all too often.  In off hours, he has found company, at times, in strip bars.  He does not go beyond enjoying entertainers dance.  His daughter, he recently learned, has become one.  Beyond this salve for occasional lonliness, he has a simple life.  He rents and is close with his two brothers and father.

Nowherewoman

And just for the record:

I know it's a smut-free game, but...

Pauley Perrette/Abbey Sciuto?

yummmm...

Chrystal

I know, right?

Sad thing is she's straight, and married.

*sigh*

MissFire

Cassidy isn't straight. Just throwing that out there!  ;D
    - Sima Yi

Nowherewoman

Quote from: Chrystal on December 24, 2014, 12:06:01 PM
I know, right?

Sad thing is she's straight, and married.

*sigh*

So are you, luv. Well, married, anyway.

I think Rosa is straight- a bit of a rarity for me! Mostly. At least, it's never been strongly tested...

Not relevant. Just sayin'.

Chrystal

*giggles* Solve the crime quickly and I'll reward you all by doing what all decent cop shows do and changing the format from "Action Drama" to "Soap Opera". Personally I hate it when they do that - stop concentrating on the action and start concentrating on the private lives of the characters... But I'm sure there are plenty of people who prefer it or the programme writers wouldn't do it!

Waiting for EK to post her ME character, and also waiting for a friend to decide what character she wants. She was going to go for the ME but didn't get in quick enough.

Also, any other thoughts on the game title?

Ubiquitous Homicide is nicely vague... I think Nowhere's suggestion of "Death Is Ubiquitous" is good, but doesn't quite work for me. I think it's the way it is trying to apply a double meaning to something that only has one meaning.

Nowherewoman

Sparky01

No thoughts on names, like your train of thought.  My pings don't seem to have panned out. 

Chrystal

*giggles*

"Murder They Wrote"? *shudders* I loathed that series.

Nah. I think, unless anyone has any strong objections, I shall go with "Ubiquitous Homicide"...