Cop Show style game, Recruiting for the Ubiquitous PD! Fem Detective Required.

Started by Chrystal, December 19, 2014, 05:49:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrystal

Tentative interest is better than none...

What can I do to make it less tentative and more positive?

Please check out my latest A/A post.
I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

ElvenKitten

It's mostly my ability to write coming back but hopefully a new story will jump-start things again.

Chrystal

Fair enough...

I will see what I can do to help.

A couple more expressing interest would be nice? If I get them overnight, while I sleep, I will see about putting a character sheet up tomorrow.

I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

RedEve

Chrystal: would an informant be a possible PC, or would this fall more into the kind of roles you would play as GM?
"I don't have a dirty mind, I have a sexy imagination."
My ons and offs- My F-list

Chrystal

Hmmm.... Tricky one.

If you're meaning someone like Huggy Bear from Starsky And Hutch, or Jonny the Shoe Shine Guy from Police Squad, then possibly. I did include "consultants" in the list of playable character types.

However I'm not sure whether US police departments still make use of paid regular informers.

If you're meaning someone who just happens to know who the murderer is, and wants paying before they offer the information, then no, that would be a NPC.

However, here's the thing: In the 1970s, every cop show had the "source" character. Today, none of them do. And I think the reason is that modern police work relies a lot more on forensics and less on the rumour mill. That said, I've had a think, and I actually quite like the idea.

Here's my thoughts on the sort of thing such a character would do....

They would probably be an ageing hooker or pimp, and would be asked by the detective to see what they can find out. They would then need to ask around, meet up with NPC characters, gossip, see what they could find out. Part of why I'm liking the idea is that such information is going to be uncorroborated at best and misleading at worst.

So, I like the idea, but I will only approve one such character - If RedEve decides she doesn't want it, then first come first served!

RedEve

I hadn't really considered the exact profile yet.

It would rather depend on the nature of the crime.

Who are the victims of the killer and in what circumstances did they die?

Chrystal

Quote from: RedEve on December 23, 2014, 07:04:50 AM
I hadn't really considered the exact profile yet.

It would rather depend on the nature of the crime.

Who are the victims of the killer and in what circumstances did they die?

Ah, but if I told you that now, it would spoil the game! The whole idea is, that the player characters have to investigate the crime(s) and work for that information!

Which is one reason I'm slightly dubious as to the benefit of such a character. Basically what (s)he would need top be is effectively an under cover police operative, just one who doesn't actually work for the police department.

If you decide to go with such a character, she/he needs to be "general" enough that the character will work in whatever scenario the game has. Exactly the same as all the other characters!

RedEve

Hmmm, perhaps it would be best if I take a pass on that concept then.

I now can't decide whether I want to explore my earlier idea of the rebellious cop or if I would not prefer to go entirely the other way and play someone who has a desk job at the precinct?

Chrystal

I'd go with the rebellious cop "Axel Foley" type character if I were you... Depends on what sort of desk job you're thinking of, mind...

I'm sort-of waiting for a friend who expressed an interest but doesn't do group games to appear on-line, so I can bounce some ideas off them, then I will put up a character sheet.

RedEve

In terms of the desk job,  think of a "sassy secretary" type who types up reports, searches the archives, gets the captain coffee, is the object of flirtatious attention by some of the more brash cops, ...

Chrystal

Hmm.

I certainly won't stop you if you want top have that character, but my worry there is that you will post once, and then sit and wait while all the other characters go off investigating, and after three weeks will say "Sorry, I can't think of anything to post", and will drop out.

Please understand, I'm not trying to force you into playing a character you would rather not play, but the way I see this game working is in a similar fashion to a table-top RP game, where everyone who is present is involved in doing something that moves the story forward. I can certainly try and keep the secretary busy, but frankly the secretarial work is mostly going to involve typing up witness statements and crime-scene reports - and I mean, literally typing them up, onto the evidence OOC thread.

While this is a job I would happily delegate, it's not going to involve much actual role-play!

Sparky01

RedEve, to the extent that I can offer it, I can either have my character that is proposed (or an altered fellow if he does not suit) provide the extra attention and/or tension you're seeking.  As long as we don't go afoul of Chrystal's request for the one-on-one romance / romp rule, I can be game. 

If not, no worries, just trying to add collaboration on the outset as characters are developed.  If it turns out to be a fun bit of tension, we could do a one shot outside of game as suggested.  Just offering.  Not a necessity.

That brasher than normal cop could be open to other players too, for anyone browsing about.

RedEve

Quote from: Chrystal on December 23, 2014, 09:16:45 AM
Hmm.

I certainly won't stop you if you want top have that character, but my worry there is that you will post once, and then sit and wait while all the other characters go off investigating, and after three weeks will say "Sorry, I can't think of anything to post", and will drop out.

Please understand, I'm not trying to force you into playing a character you would rather not play, but the way I see this game working is in a similar fashion to a table-top RP game, where everyone who is present is involved in doing something that moves the story forward. I can certainly try and keep the secretary busy, but frankly the secretarial work is mostly going to involve typing up witness statements and crime-scene reports - and I mean, literally typing them up, onto the evidence OOC thread.

While this is a job I would happily delegate, it's not going to involve much actual role-play!

Okay,

My main concern is that if I take on one of the detective roles, my limited posting frequency (and I am unlikely to get above the one post a week average though I would try) would perhaps slow down the game in its entirety (as I see any detective character as taking on something of a "lead" role in the investigation).

But if the secretarial character doesn't leave much opportunity to play, then that too would pose its own problems.

RedEve

Quote from: ehlamjanx on December 23, 2014, 09:50:44 AM
RedEve, to the extent that I can offer it, I can either have my character that is proposed (or an altered fellow if he does not suit) provide the extra attention and/or tension you're seeking.  As long as we don't go afoul of Chrystal's request for the one-on-one romance / romp rule, I can be game. 

If not, no worries, just trying to add collaboration on the outset as characters are developed.  If it turns out to be a fun bit of tension, we could do a one shot outside of game as suggested.  Just offering.  Not a necessity.

That brasher than normal cop could be open to other players too, for anyone browsing about.

Oh no, it's not necessary to include any of that. :)

I'm actually most concerned about the things I outlined in the above post to Chrystal.

Sparky01

Got it, makes sense.  Hope something resonates with you and looking forward to game play, however it works itself out.

Chrystal

You could always go for the medical examiner or forensics expert roles?

Those two are going to be quite key in terms of figuring out who did what to whom, but aren't going to be required all the time, so while one week you might need to do a couple of posts, you would them have  a couple of weeks waiting while the evidence is followed up... Before the next crime scene is discovered...

Just a thought.

RedEve

Quote from: Chrystal on December 23, 2014, 10:13:11 AM
You could always go for the medical examiner or forensics expert roles?

Those two are going to be quite key in terms of figuring out who did what to whom, but aren't going to be required all the time, so while one week you might need to do a couple of posts, you would them have  a couple of weeks waiting while the evidence is followed up... Before the next crime scene is discovered...

Just a thought.

Well to be quite fair, such a role would appeal to me less as I am unsure how much justice I could do to it.

Sparky01

So, maybe the secretary still works.  Maybe I can assist with odd jobs and such here and there?  Work around your post rate.

RedEve

I will give this some more thought, but the secretary looks like it might be a road to nowhere, based upon what Chrystal said.

Sparky01

If there is anything I can do to help tip your interest, I am certainly game.

Chrystal

So...

Is anyone other than Ehlam actually going to submit a character if I put a character sheet up?

RedEve

I will, eventually. Once I decide upon a character!

Nowherewoman

*interest hat thrown where I prolly shouldn't*

I could see either being a profiler, or the 'street ear'- possibly a high-ticket madam or call girl who is concerned that her workers and/or livelihood might be threatened?  Or a slightly bent but still mostly-honest undercover cop?
Instead of obsessing on the person you want to be, focus on who you DON'T want to be. It's much easier to not do certain things than to break your head on some ideal of yourself.

When the dust settles, you may find out you've become who you were supposed to be all along.

more me here now!  (O/Os, ideas and junk): https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=215830.0

and mea culpas  (A/As): https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=221151.0

Sparky01

I pinged someone, will advise if I hear back.

MissFire

I have a forensics expert character in mind.
"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die."
    - Sima Yi