Cop Show style game, Recruiting for the Ubiquitous PD! Fem Detective Required.

Started by Chrystal, December 19, 2014, 05:49:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrystal

Quote from: Blinkin on January 29, 2015, 03:40:54 PM
How many characters do you have? I don't see any actual law enforcement.

A detective lieutenant, two detectives, a medical examiner, a forensics expert and a profiler who is a consultant.

There is a list in one of the earlier posts, giving a list of suggested character tropes. The approved characters are all in the character thread.

Tropes that are taken:

• The firm-but-fair leader of the team
  • The unconventional rule-breaker who gets results
  • The geeky forensic expert who is a wizz with computers and a social klutz
  • The slightly dippy medical examiner who enjoys showing off grisly body parts recently removed from a corps
  • The even geekier psychological profiler
  • The shady character who knows the word on the street

Suggested tropes still up for grabs:

• The hard-nosed bastard/bitch who insists on doing things by the book
  • The old (wo)man, close to retirement, wanting one last big collar
  • The bent cop, who will stop at nothing to get an arrest
  • The rookie cop who is trying too hard

If you want to create a character type not on that list, run the idea by me and I will let you know.

Quote from: Blinkin on January 29, 2015, 03:57:03 PM
Wonders if there would be a place for a "ride-a-long" journalist with a tendency to offer off of the wall theories, name dropping and general commetary as he aids the cops in solving the crime through semi-inciteful investigation and unexpected nuggets of gold...

Possibly, but I would have to disallow Nathan Fillion as the character pic, and also any surname that had anything to do with fortifications!

Also, you would need to come up with a plausible explanation as to why the character is in such a favoured position when a NPC reporter has already been seriously snubbed by Detective Danilo when trying to gain such a position.

Of course you could always try and convince me to let you take over that NPC...

I have to say I would prefer that people be directly or indirectly employed by the police, rather than just "tagalongs".

Please check out my latest A/A post.
I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

Blinkin

Fair enough. I would need to think about this. Roles fitting the setting that aren't too redundant are hard to come up with.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Chrystal

There are four already suggested for you.

Plus an entire uniform division!

I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

Sparky01

Anyone can arrive on scene and help Gunselman.  Might also be time to head back to precinct office soon.

I should have a post today.

Chrystal

IMPORTANT ANOUNCEMENT

Due to circumstances beyond his control my dear friend Ehlamjanx has been forced to withdraw from the game. This leaves the top slot open. While the game can and will continue without a lead detective, I would far rather have someone in that role.

There are three options available:

1) The character created by Ehlamjanx is available for another player to take over as is. Not only is this mandated by the game rules of play, but EJ has expressly given permission. Players are allowed to post in their own style, of course, but in this option I would expect the player to try and keep the character's personality as consistent as possible.

2) If a player likes the character of Lt Gunselman but feels they cannot play him as is, I will consider allowing a revised character with the same name, but with different attributes. This has already happened once in the game with the character of Cassidy Locke. If you would like to take this option, please submit a revised character sheet to me by PM for approval.

3) I will also consider a totally new character, who can be assigned by the chief of police (played as a NPC by myself) to replace Gunselman, for a reason I will come up with. Rules of character creation as detailed in the opening posts of this thread apply, obviously. Please submit a character sheet for approval.

If I get more than one applicant I will consider them on relative merits. If I only get one (or less) over this weekend it will end up being "first come first served"

The character sheet for Lt Frank Gunselman can be found here.

Obviously, please read the rules etc at the start of this thread before applying. If you are able to glance through the IC thread and Case File thread too that would be helpful. You don't have to read the entire OOC thread but reading the first two posts there would be a good idea. If you wish to take over Lt Gunselman, either as-is or modified, you will need to read the IC and Case File threads before posting IC. If you want to create a new character then you could, in fact, have your character "read" the threads IC, as a new lead detective taking over the case would probably not know any more IC than you know OOC...!

Thanks.

Hazy Sky

Looking for and accepting new stories.

Current earworms
Kallax
The Midnight
WOLFCLUB

Nymphadora

Quote from: skyre on February 26, 2015, 09:36:10 AM
This is all Nymph's fault...
*Bookmarks for later reading.*

It is... I totally take the blame for this mwahahahahaaaaa
A&As UPDATED Oct 26/23

Rate:Weekly give or take
Availability:
Unavailable for new plottings, sorry.
O&Os Please review
♪As flawed as you may think you are, you're perfect to me!♪

Hazy Sky

OK, so initial thoughts are I think I can work with the existing character sheet. Older male character, disintegrated family, troublesome daughter I adore... I don't like the character picture though... Any wriggle room to change that if I'm still interested once I've read up fully on everything else?

Current earworms
Kallax
The Midnight
WOLFCLUB

Chrystal

Hi Skyre, I'd love to have you on board.

Totally. You can change him for someone of similar age as long as the pic fits the character. Please remember to alter the appearance details, if necessary.

*grins*

Hazy Sky

How about Steve Mcqueen as he appeared in Bullitt? The age would be close enough I think.

Current earworms
Kallax
The Midnight
WOLFCLUB

Chrystal

Uh....

I would be okay with that if the story were set in the 1970s, but it's set present day. And my goddess those clothes! *shudders*

Hazy Sky

Quote from: Chrystal on February 26, 2015, 04:49:31 PM
Uh....

I would be okay with that if the story were set in the 1970s, but it's set present day. And my goddess those clothes! *shudders*

His dress sense is clearly why his wife left him. :P
I'll find something and nudge it in your direction once I've read up properly.

Current earworms
Kallax
The Midnight
WOLFCLUB

Hazy Sky

OK, so I'm half read up and I'm intrigued. I'm definitely in, but I need a new picture for the character...
Also I want to change his car to a Crown Victoria. Taurus are just too horrible for words. Not that Crown Victoria aren't, but they go with cops like jelly in donuts. It fits better for me. I'm perfectly happy to even give him car woes to explain the demise of said horrible Taurus. It might be interesting to have the boss blagging rides off everyone for a day. Is that alright with everyone?

How about... "Who loves ya, Baby?"

I'll also need a bit of help making sure I've got everything up to speed. I'm sure Chrystal and I can manage that between us though if she's ok with me joining?

Edit: Nymph, this is all your fault! Love you! :P

Current earworms
Kallax
The Midnight
WOLFCLUB

Chrystal

Quote from: skyre on February 27, 2015, 06:12:53 AM
OK, so I'm half read up and I'm intrigued. I'm definitely in, but I need a new picture for the character...
Also I want to change his car to a Crown Victoria. Taurus are just too horrible for words. Not that Crown Victoria aren't, but they go with cops like jelly in donuts. It fits better for me. I'm perfectly happy to even give him car woes to explain the demise of said horrible Taurus. It might be interesting to have the boss blagging rides off everyone for a day. Is that alright with everyone?

How about... "Who loves ya, Baby?"

I'll also need a bit of help making sure I've got everything up to speed. I'm sure Chrystal and I can manage that between us though if she's ok with me joining?

Edit: Nymph, this is all your fault! Love you! :P

I'm afraid that Telly Savalas is too close to being a canon character! Kojak is clearly the character that Gunselman was originally based on...

Some suggestions:

Duncan Goodhew

Patrick Stewart

Yul Brynner

Hazy Sky

Patrick works for me. I'll have to resist the urge to say "Make it so." :)

Current earworms
Kallax
The Midnight
WOLFCLUB

Chrystal

Oddly, Yul Brynner is closest to Telly Savalas in looks, but while there are plenty of pictures of Stewart with no hair and plenty of him at about age 40, there don't seem to be many of him aged 40 with no hair!

I think the two most important things are the age of the person in the photo and the clothing. Wearing something that looks totally out of place in 2014 needs to be justified somehow, which requires a character rewrite. Changing the age of the character is less drastic but still requires some modifications. Simply adding hair is the easy bit!

Hazy Sky

Strangely enough that's why I went for Telly S. I thought the age was right and the face kinda matched and lack of hair kinda matched. The fact that he was Kojak didn't actually occur to me at all until I found the picture...
I'll have a dig around and find another picture or two over the weekend. Leave it with me.

Current earworms
Kallax
The Midnight
WOLFCLUB

Hazy Sky

Just to say that I haven't forgotten this. I've been under the weather and I will be looking for a suitable picture tonight hopefully or tomorrow at the latest. Apologies to everyone for the delay.

Current earworms
Kallax
The Midnight
WOLFCLUB

RedEve

Chrystal, if I were to make a return, where should I look into posting at?
"I don't have a dirty mind, I have a sexy imagination."
My ons and offs- My F-list

Chrystal

Quote from: skyre on March 02, 2015, 06:46:19 AM
Just to say that I haven't forgotten this. I've been under the weather and I will be looking for a suitable picture tonight hopefully or tomorrow at the latest. Apologies to everyone for the delay.

Okay, cool. Hope you're feeling better, hun? I'm reluctant to say my usual response of "Take your time", but seriously if you can't find a pic we both like I can always do another NPC post for G-Man while you're searching.

Quote from: RedEve on March 02, 2015, 08:15:30 AM
Chrystal, if I were to make a return, where should I look into posting at?

There's a couple of options: Either at Stevens' house - the original crime scene, still going through the box files and paperwork, or she could be back at her desk going through them. The latter gives you the chance to sit in on the interview of Devine if you wish?

RedEve

Sorry, I missed you had already answered this in here! Just re-asked the question in the OOC...  :-\
"I don't have a dirty mind, I have a sexy imagination."
My ons and offs- My F-list

Hazy Sky

I'm fine now Chrystal. It was just a bug, but the other half was poorly last night, so that rather messed with my plans. I should get to look into the picture properly tonight. My apologies again for slowing thing down. The universe is conspiring against me, I swear it!

Current earworms
Kallax
The Midnight
WOLFCLUB

Chrystal

Quote from: RedEve on March 04, 2015, 07:00:37 AM
Sorry, I missed you had already answered this in here! Just re-asked the question in the OOC...  :-\

No worries. You can always delete the ooc post, or just edit it, or I can answer it again with a totally different answer! >:)

Quote from: skyre on March 04, 2015, 08:12:41 AM
I'm fine now Chrystal. It was just a bug, but the other half was poorly last night, so that rather messed with my plans. I should get to look into the picture properly tonight. My apologies again for slowing thing down. The universe is conspiring against me, I swear it!

It's okay. Although I'm tempted to suggest you stick with the original picture for now? What is it you don't like about it?

Hazy Sky

Everything. The ears, the nose... I can't get behind that face. It makes no sense I know, but there it is...

Current earworms
Kallax
The Midnight
WOLFCLUB

Chrystal

Fair enough. I suggest picking a photo you like, without worrying about making them similar, and adjust the character sheet to fit. You will never find a pic that you like that fits the current character sheet exactly! I design my characters around the image, not the other way around.