Living in Interesting Times (Star Wars FFG, 3 players)

Started by ShadowFox89, April 30, 2017, 07:28:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadowFox89

The Post-dated Check Loan probably isn't the safest ship to be traveling on. An old, refurbished and stripped down Consular-class cruiser, The Check Loan has it's regular route along the Corellian Run. Which does make it a cheap, reliable form of transportation, known well to Imperial patrols and generally waved along through checkpoints. But, the times, they are a changing. Word has spread about the destruction of Jedha'a capitol, about a potential new superweapon of the Empire. While word of this spreads, the Check Loan is commissioned for a new route, Alderaan.

Interesting Times is intended to be a game for three players using Fantasy Flight Games's Star Wars system. All three base books are open for use, however I currently only have Keeping the Peace, Nexus of Power, and Special Modifications for expansion books.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

1SAZ

Color me rather interested. I am curious how well this system runs in a PbP set up.

Pumpkin Seeds

I so want my books from New Orleans.  :: cries and makes grabby hands::

KirbysFolly

I am extremely interested. I'd love to get a chance to play a gearhead character in the FFG system.

Pumpkin Seeds

1SAZ

If we have a pilot and engi, I could certainly play the muscle.

Pumpkin Seeds

Yay!  Now to choose among the plentiful options.

ShadowFox89

I do have someone I play with often interested, if needed I can open it up to more players. Not counting on anything until I see some concepts.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

TheFourthShade

I can posit a few ideas. 

I think one of my ideas was a senator or former senator's aide, probably someone who handles problems more with words than weapons.  I'm a bit behind the curve on sleep, but the important thing is that I'm interesetd.

clonkertink

I'm an old hand at FFG Star Wars. Been running it for a long while.

With a vessel name like that, I'm guessing you'll need a merchant? I could play a Trader or Entrepreneur. They probably want to just run an honest business, but as times get tougher, it's getting harder to balance those books....

Pumpkin Seeds

Sort of leaning toward Twi'lek.  Sort of hate that because it's pretty standard, but I have an idea in my head that really plays off that species.  Was also considering a Torguta, which are my favorites.

clonkertink

Pumpkin Seeds - Would it be stepping on your character's concept if I went Trader, and used some of the career skills to cover the co-pilot role? It's rare for anyone except the pilot to have the Gunnery skill, so having an extra pair of hands on the controls can be helpful.

Mostly, though, I figure my character's job (when not bargain hunting) would be calculating efficient hyperspace routes and assisting through the "Plot course" and "co-pilot" actions.

NightLux

I'm interested but I guess my biggest reservation is how the ruleset is going to work here.  As for what the role to fill - I'm open to most anything.
[tr][td]
[/td][td]
RP Status: Seeking new partners
RL Status: Looking forward to my birthday!
Solo Status: 0 (due) / 3 (total)
In Development: 0
Group Due: 0 (due) / 0 (total)
[/td][/tr][/table]

Pumpkin Seeds

Not at all.  I sort of envision my character as being a surly pilot type.  She likes boring.  I doubt she'd have much use for advanced hyperspace skills as it seems like this current job is mostly point A to point B through pre-plotted and check point guided Imperial Space.  Mostly she'd be for the juking and diving if pirates happened to catch them. 

As for social, I think she might be into Deception and games of chance.  Eventually she might branch into a more social role or maybe into using her light pistol for something more than show and flash.

clonkertink

That sounds neat. I've been toying with playing a Chiss. Haven't decided on a gender yet, but it means "Cool" is actually my best dice pool at the moment. I'd guess they've got a pretty solid saabac face.

I'm considering taking "debt" as my obligation. Maybe they took out a substantial loan to help get this enterprise off the ground, and it's time to start paying it back.

ShadowFox89

Who knew there'd be so much interest for this?

So! You don't have to play a member of the crew, you could easily be a passenger hitching a ride. I do have a plan of what the Check Loan is going to be doing, which doesn't include all too legal things, so plan on your character going on the wrong side of the law early in the game.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Pumpkin Seeds

The FFG system is immensely popular.

So are we the owners or what have you of this ship and endeavor?  I think it would be kind of funny if the ship was bought and she just sorta "came with it." 

Maybe your character had intention of being the pilot but she was there and didn't seem to have much inclination to go anywhere else.

"This is our pilot.  Don't really mind her though she just came with the ship....like the computer."

NightLux

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on May 01, 2017, 04:04:06 PM
Who knew there'd be so much interest for this?

So! You don't have to play a member of the crew, you could easily be a passenger hitching a ride. I do have a plan of what the Check Loan is going to be doing, which doesn't include all too legal things, so plan on your character going on the wrong side of the law early in the game.

Star Wars?  With the new movie starting to be teased more and more?

Now that I think of it, I'd love to play a Rigger but not sure how that'd work with the group.  Like I said, I'd find a character concept that works with everyone.
[tr][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]

Pumpkin Seeds

NightLux

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on May 01, 2017, 04:23:41 PM
Why wouldn't a Rigger work?

I guess I'm not sure if I can make it thematically make sense if he's not at least partial owner of the ship/its crew.  Seems strange for him to start poking around and messing with a ship that isn't his.

Unless it has a docking port or something, then he could have his own ship/starfighter.
[tr][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]

ShadowFox89

Well, the Check Loan is a Consular-class cruiser. That's those three-engine cruisers with the big cylinder in front from the prequels. Incidentally, it only need a crew of 9 to function, including 4 engineers. Actually, to make things simple, here's the crew list:

Captain (will be an NPC to make things simple)
Pilot
Co-Pilot
Navigator
Comms Operator
4 Engineers
Call me Shadow
My A/A

NightLux

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on May 01, 2017, 04:31:54 PM
Well, the Check Loan is a Consular-class cruiser. That's those three-engine cruisers with the big cylinder in front from the prequels. Incidentally, it only need a crew of 9 to function, including 4 engineers. Actually, to make things simple, here's the crew list:

Captain (will be an NPC to make things simple)
Pilot
Co-Pilot
Navigator
Comms Operator
4 Engineers

I totally missed that it was a Cruiser.  Nevermind my comments thus far.  To reset...

I'd like to play a Rigger.  Probably one of the permanent crew that is just trying to keep it flying?
[tr][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]

clonkertink

I've actually toyed some kind of Rigger build for a Consular at times, usually trying to pair it with a Commodore, for some sort of elite "Frigate Hunter" status. But that's for a very different, AoR game. It's Sil 5, so it's definitely viable as a signature vehicle.

I feel like my character wouldn't really want to be the primary pilot. Sorta like how Mal's the captain of Serenity, but Wash flies it. Not that I wanna be the Captain necessarily. Just that my character wants someone else to handle running the helm, so they can focus more on watching the markets and planning business ventures.

Edit: Navigator actually seems like the perfect place for my character (at least, when they're between spaceports), if the Rigger wants to take the co-piloting position.

NightLux

Quote from: clonkertink on May 01, 2017, 04:46:24 PM
I've actually toyed some kind of Rigger build for a Consular at times, usually trying to pair it with a Commodore, for some sort of elite "Frigate Hunter" status. But that's for a very different, AoR game. It's Sil 5, so it's definitely viable as a signature vehicle.

I feel like my character wouldn't really want to be the primary pilot. Sorta like how Mal's the captain of Serenity, but Wash flies it. Not that I wanna be the Captain necessarily. Just that my character wants someone else to handle running the helm, so they can focus more on watching the markets and planning business ventures.

We wouldn't need necessarily defined roles.  My character could be the primary pilot when at stations but works with the engineering team on "his ship".  Actually, I kind of like that.
[tr][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]

Pumpkin Seeds