Xbox One Vs PS4 - Next Gen gaming

Started by Moraline, May 21, 2013, 03:35:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

Quote from: Shouron on May 22, 2013, 07:18:45 PM
So, my questions are this: If the used game market goes out, as is the fear of many people from hearing this news. What happens to the "old boxes" then?

What if people can't access a private merchant who sells the old products? What happens to them? Are they just SoL? Not every system lasts forever, parts and even entire systems need to be replaced.

Are you to tell me that it's just "Go look on eBay, which can rip you off, or good luck."?

Personally, I think the greed has gone completely to their heads and gaming isn't what it once was. However, I agree with other peoples' opinions. Let them continue to shoot themselves in the foot. When gaming goes only to those who can afford the ridiculous prices and sales plummet, we'll be the ones laughing then.
Actually, this raises a good question regarding how you're supposed to preserve the medium of games? It's officially an art form how do we go about preserving the games. I mean, yeah there are emulators, but what about the methods with which they were meant to be played?

I mean, kids playing Super Mario Bros. today on their phones with touch controls and saying so what, but what about holding a controller in your hands and watching the man move in response to your inputs?

Or the old arcade games with special cabinets? Like that Star Wars deathstar run game that used the cockpit cabinet with the vector graphics. :\

If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Guren

PS4 will is slightly better than the Xbox one. PS4 Doesn't require internet connection (Xbox one does), PS4 uses 8gig of DDR5 RAM (Xbox one uses 8gig DDR3 Ram), PS4 uses its own chat system while Xbox One uses skype (Skype is resource intensive), Xbox one has a used game fee (Unknown what PS4 will do in this regard), PS4 is likely to be cheaper than the Xbox One.  Of course, PC beats both of these =D.

Chris Brady

Sony has said there will be no repercussions to using used games on their new system.  They saw the can of worms even a rumour caused and decided not worth the effort.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Inkidu

Gosh I hope we hit the graphical plateau soon. I can't take it anymore, but barring some magical miracle tech the cost to graphical power ratio is going to even out. I just hope it gets there before iphones become eye-phones. =__=;
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Shjade

All I can say is this generation of consoles makes me glad I got out of console gaming at the last generation. >.>
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Inkidu on May 22, 2013, 08:50:55 PM
Gosh I hope we hit the graphical plateau soon. I can't take it anymore, but barring some magical miracle tech the cost to graphical power ratio is going to even out. I just hope it gets there before iphones become eye-phones. =__=;
Actually, we have.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Inkidu

Quote from: Shjade on May 22, 2013, 08:54:05 PM
All I can say is this generation of consoles makes me glad I got out of console gaming at the last generation. >.>
I got out of PCs because of the hassle, but if the console market is going to yank me around like this I will go back.
I will never support always-online. Even if I get good internet I'll probably never buy a game that requires an always-online connection. I find more and more that it might as well by synonymous with greed. :\
It's done for simple control. There are no good reasons for an always online requirement. =_= 

Guren

Quote from: Chris Brady on May 22, 2013, 08:49:54 PM
Sony has said there will be no repercussions to using used games on their new system.  They saw the can of worms even a rumour caused and decided not worth the effort.

Umm... it wasn't a rumour.  It was them saying in an interview that they are going to be charging for used games that aren't installed.  They are essentially doing this to kill off second hand game stores.

From forbes : All Xbox One games must be installed to the hard drive, either through digital download or the disc itself. That allows easy access to titles without disc switching, but it also causes complications. If you buy a physical disc and want to say, loan it a friend, they’ll have to pay an unlock fee to get the game to work on their system with their account. There’s no word on either how much this fee would be, or how many times you could do this with one disc. If the fee is small enough, $10 or so, it would allow people to essentially clone games for cheap. But if it’s expensive, like $30, then that really puts a damper on sharing altogether.  Microsoft HAS clarified that if you play a game on a friend’s Xbox using YOUR account, a sharing fee is not required. But if you loan it to them to play on their own account, there would be.

And also what’s clear is that buying a used game will likely come with this same additional fee, meaning the era of uber cheap used games where Gamestop makes 100% pure profit is likely over. Sony so far has refused to comment on their own system for used games, but speculation is that it’s similar to MIcrosoft, and the two will stand united on this front.

Falanor

Quote from: Guren on May 22, 2013, 09:03:19 PM
Umm... it wasn't a rumour.  It was them saying in an interview that they are going to be charging for used games that aren't installed.  They are essentially doing this to kill off second hand game stores.

From forbes : All Xbox One games must be installed to the hard drive, either through digital download or the disc itself. That allows easy access to titles without disc switching, but it also causes complications. If you buy a physical disc and want to say, loan it a friend, they’ll have to pay an unlock fee to get the game to work on their system with their account. There’s no word on either how much this fee would be, or how many times you could do this with one disc. If the fee is small enough, $10 or so, it would allow people to essentially clone games for cheap. But if it’s expensive, like $30, then that really puts a damper on sharing altogether.  Microsoft HAS clarified that if you play a game on a friend’s Xbox using YOUR account, a sharing fee is not required. But if you loan it to them to play on their own account, there would be.

And also what’s clear is that buying a used game will likely come with this same additional fee, meaning the era of uber cheap used games where Gamestop makes 100% pure profit is likely over. Sony so far has refused to comment on their own system for used games, but speculation is that it’s similar to MIcrosoft, and the two will stand united on this front.

I'm going to say that you should hold off on speculation like that.  Tony Bartel (President of Gamestop) even stated today that Xbox One and PS4 games will be resold.  Even Shuhei Yoshida (President of Sony Worldwide Studios) confirmed this about the PS4 three months ago.  Additionally, there is never an era of uber cheap used games.  Buying a recent title of a used game is basically going to give you a $5-10 discount.  Buying a very old game is where you get the deep cut.

Quote from: Inkidu on May 22, 2013, 09:01:49 PM
I got out of PCs because of the hassle, but if the console market is going to yank me around like this I will go back.
I will never support always-online. Even if I get good internet I'll probably never buy a game that requires an always-online connection. I find more and more that it might as well by synonymous with greed. :\
It's done for simple control. There are no good reasons for an always online requirement. =_= 
I can understand the rage over always online.  I disdain the concept, especially since I have a shoddy connection.  However, don't expect that going back to a computer to be the answer to that.  Most games now are going with Steam integration or Origin (if EA).  That requires a minor amount of always online as well.

Koren

You dont need an always online connection to the internet
BUT YOU WILL need to be able to make sure your xbox can access the internet in some way at least once a day through connection. That has been confirmed.
http://kotaku.com/xbox-one-does-require-internet-connection-cant-play-o-509164109
Rumors coming out of partnership companies with microsoft claim that to activate a used game on another account will be even close to 50-90% of the full retail price. On top of that microsoft hasnt said that any of that money will go to the developers at all, which will really piss me off because it will just take more money from them.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22623010

Kinect details:
Why are people not more focused on this is my personal question?
Its an always on microphone, camera and tracking system that will be online at least once a day. It can supposedly track your full skeletal profile, heartbeat, weight and face, will store and continue to update and track this information constantly and cannot be turned off or disconnected from online.
Imagine if a hacker got into that information...

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Koren on May 23, 2013, 03:24:27 AM
You dont need an always online connection to the internet
BUT YOU WILL need to be able to make sure your xbox can access the internet in some way at least once a day through connection. That has been confirmed.
http://kotaku.com/xbox-one-does-require-internet-connection-cant-play-o-509164109
Rumors coming out of partnership companies with microsoft claim that to activate a used game on another account will be even close to 50-90% of the full retail price. On top of that microsoft hasnt said that any of that money will go to the developers at all, which will really piss me off because it will just take more money from them.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22623010

Kinect details:
Why are people not more focused on this is my personal question?
Its an always on microphone, camera and tracking system that will be online at least once a day. It can supposedly track your full skeletal profile, heartbeat, weight and face, will store and continue to update and track this information constantly and cannot be turned off or disconnected from online.
Imagine if a hacker got into that information...

So wait, getting a used game I may also have to pay an activation fee that is at most 90% of the retail price of the game... Yeah lets hope that isn't the case.

The kinect can rot in hell.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Teo Torriatte

Will PS4 have the used game thing as well?

If so, I have played my last console.

Inkidu

Quote from: Falanor on May 22, 2013, 11:12:55 PM
I'm going to say that you should hold off on speculation like that.  Tony Bartel (President of Gamestop) even stated today that Xbox One and PS4 games will be resold.  Even Shuhei Yoshida (President of Sony Worldwide Studios) confirmed this about the PS4 three months ago.  Additionally, there is never an era of uber cheap used games.  Buying a recent title of a used game is basically going to give you a $5-10 discount.  Buying a very old game is where you get the deep cut.
I can understand the rage over always online.  I disdain the concept, especially since I have a shoddy connection.  However, don't expect that going back to a computer to be the answer to that.  Most games now are going with Steam integration or Origin (if EA).  That requires a minor amount of always online as well.
Well there are two things in my thinking on this:

A.) Most computer stuff only requires a one-time activation. That way I could strictly control when I was and wasn't online. I mean I can do that. That's not difficult.

B.) What else am I going to do? If I want to keep playing games apparently I'm going to have to give them something.

I hope one day they realize that DRM doesn't really work all that well and just pisses off paying customers. Probably not, but I can hope.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Luna on May 23, 2013, 04:52:47 AM
Will PS4 have the used game thing as well?

If so, I have played my last console.
As per the link above, no.

Guren

Quote from: Falanor on May 22, 2013, 11:12:55 PM

LOL for some reason I thought he was talking about microsoft.  Yeah, sony is perfectly fine so far as I can tell.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Inkidu on May 23, 2013, 06:01:38 AM
Well there are two things in my thinking on this:

A.) Most computer stuff only requires a one-time activation. That way I could strictly control when I was and wasn't online. I mean I can do that. That's not difficult.

B.) What else am I going to do? If I want to keep playing games apparently I'm going to have to give them something.

I hope one day they realize that DRM doesn't really work all that well and just pisses off paying customers. Probably not, but I can hope.

They don't care.. the average user never has a lot of issues with DRM. It's the 'acceptable losses' group of folks like (most of) us on the board who are more savvy and open to a better method of business. They (business) balance loss vs protected IP..and we are small enough to avoid.

Inkidu

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on May 23, 2013, 02:42:11 PM

They don't care.. the average user never has a lot of issues with DRM. It's the 'acceptable losses' group of folks like (mos,t of) us on the board who are more savvy and open to a better method of business. They (business) balance loss vs protected IP..and we are small enough to avoid.
It's funny the company bitches about lost sales to piracy or whatever, so they intros oduce more intrusive DRM, which in turn causes more piracy.

Seriously, all DRM does is punish honest customers. Has it ever stopped a pirate?

Chris Brady

Inkidu

Quote from: Chris Brady on May 23, 2013, 03:51:58 PM
Here's something, Sony's stock increased after the XBox One was revealed, but is it related?

http://gengame.net/2013/05/sonys-stock-skyrockets-after-xbox-one-reveal-but-is-it-related/

Also some people are realizing that DRM are a bad idea, http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20130328/05304422492/ea-labels-president-drm-is-failed-strategy-simcity-didnt-have-any-drm.shtml
Uh... that's not really a realization. That sounds like they got caught with dropping a deuce in the brownie bowl and did one hell of a backpedal. :\

"We're with you, DRM sucks! But it's not DRM, Simcity just feels like an MMO."

Falanor

Quote from: Inkidu on May 23, 2013, 03:25:33 PM
It's funny the company bitches about lost sales to piracy or whatever, so they intros oduce more intrusive DRM, which in turn causes more piracy.

Seriously, all DRM does is punish honest customers. Has it ever stopped a pirate?

Not ever.  Fact Ubisoft went on record to say that somewhere in the neighborhood of 90% of their top games are pirated inspite of the awful DRM they had.  Might have been the deciding factor for them in reconsidering their stance on DRM (thankfully they removed it recently from Anno 2077).

Chris Brady

chaoslord29

Has someone already pointed out that the fact that your Kinect camera/mic will always be on and that your X-Box will require an active internet function effectively makes it a Telescreen?
My Guiding Light-
'I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.'- Lord Havelock Vetinari
My ideas and O/Os:Darker Tastes and Tales

Inkidu

I wonder if Microsoft really dropped the ball with this one, or are enough people just going to buy it and validate their decisions? God I hope not...

Wolfy

Quote from: Inkidu on May 24, 2013, 09:48:55 AM
I wonder if Microsoft really dropped the ball with this one, or are enough people just going to buy it and validate their decisions? God I hope not...

Let's hope the industry isn't that stupid. >_>

chaoslord29

Quote from: Inkidu on May 24, 2013, 09:48:55 AM

Oh, they'll probably be record sales and all that. If only because the majority of consumers aren't savvy enough to know exactly how they're being let-down, ripped-off, taken advantage of by Microsoft and this product, and then the rest of the market share will fall in line because they don't want to be left out from playing the same games on the same system as their friends.

Just think about all the kids who will be getting X-Box ones from their parents, because their parents (who know nothing about console games/gaming/drm/etc) have been sold on the idea that it's what all the kids want for their birthday/Christmas/etc.  And once those kids have them, they'll play whatever games are marketed to them and their parents as the most popular, because nobody wants to be left out, when the coolest kid in the neighborhood has an X-Box One and a CoD IX, regardless of anything else.

All the same applies for the PS4 and both game system's communities suffer for it, despite all the individuals who don't fall in that category but are none the less a minority.

In short, long live PC Gaming!
My Guiding Light-
'I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.'- Lord Havelock Vetinari
My ideas and O/Os:Darker Tastes and Tales