I've been working on my Forgery!

Started by Amber, December 30, 2010, 06:17:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amber

I play a lot of Harvest Moon, and lately I've picked up "Rune Factory" in which you can forge materials into new weapons.

Someone asked me for help with beating a monster. I told them "I would work on your forgery skills because your level isn't high enough to make good enough weaponry."

I understand perfectly that "Forgery" means to fabricate illegally. But in the case of forging can it also be used in this way, and would you use it that way? Said person's been throwing every dictionary site at me trying to prove me wrong for the sake of making me look like an ass and I'd much rather people with heads on their shoulders calmly explain to me what they think!

Oniya

Webster's New World Dictionary lists an archaic definition of 'forgery' (n) as 'invention'.  'Forging' (v) would be a bit more precise, in the metallurgical sense (Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, and Encyclopedia Brittanica), but if you want to avoid any possibility of misunderstanding, I would use the term 'smithing' or 'weapons-smithing'.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17