A (sorta) open world fantasy game (still accepting)

Started by Galanthor, September 15, 2010, 04:36:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drift

Can I make more than one character? :)

I was kind of waiting to see if any other races were posted before I weighed in with a character.

Galanthor

ok...i will add a few races sunday (just so late so i don't interfere with everyone else and everyone had time)...if there aren't more races entered till then i'll do the map as well i think

sneak peak though:
Twiggles: http://galanthor.deviantart.com/art/twiggle-v2-178627582?q=&qo=
The Ironclad: A race consisting of walking (sometimes hoovering) armors in all forms.
The Shadows: Completely black humanoids. Not even eyes are visible.
Humen
Wereanimals (maybe)

and yes...i already told in the first post that multiple chars are no problem

skyline339

Is there a skelly to follow when making a character or do we just give a few details, cause I'll think of one today and post it later tonight!

Galanthor

no skelleton...an image a name the rest is up to you

abandoneddolly

ok so here are my idea to add

Felines
are humanoid cat like creatures that live in small tribes like prides in the jungel. The tribes consit of one head male and a few younger males, but the rest are usually female, and when the males get older there sent away. This way there is assured that there is enough hunting room for everyone.  They live in tents made from the animals that they kill.  They are very agile and fast and able to leap up into the trees are down from them from long distances away. They avoid the other races and other tribes. If anything comes into there teritorty there likely to attack them.

Galanthor

Drift

*cackles* not sure why but I love the Twiggles.  (gotta catch em all)

If I get some house cleaning done today I'll see if I can post up my character ideas.  How long do twiggles typically live?  Like, would you expect there to be ancient ones or do they die young and reproduce like rabbits?

Galanthor

of course you do...they are made to be adorable (having made them i should now)...anyway...they get to be around 60, but the healing magic within them keeps them fit...oh and they have a speaking problem, they say f instead of s

Drift

(This is my first one, I'll be making another.  I figure this dude could be an accidental villain if nothing else :D)

Lord Arnst Wrackenmul

Race: Skyfarer

Appearance:

Arnst is a relatively young fool with black hair that is often wind-toussled and a neatly trimmed beard.  He's not heavily muscular as one would expect since his lifestyle is more about studying and tinkering than pumping iron or hard labor.  His eyes are bright brown and often lit with enthusiasm.

While his hands aren't overly rough, they do bear the calouses and scarring one might expect from tinkering extensively with a large air ship like the one he flies. 

His Ship, the Eva Nurray, is large enough for four to travel on it comfortably but Arnst is a bit of a slob leaving his belongings and tools and notebooks everywhere.  The ship itself is not exactly brand new.  It is wracked with heavy rust spots and frequently breaks down.  With access to more materials Arnst could probably repair it almost as good as new but since he doesn't have that luxury he frequently patchs it with the equivalent of chicken wire.  Most ground-dwellers would fear it to be a death trap.

Background:

There is rarely anything exciting to say about life in the clouds.  Whether it's in the far mountain sky villages or the airborne floating cities, the Skyfarers rarely had much to contend with short of the occasional dragon passing by and thinking that one of those fiery ships might make an awfully nice quesadilla.

This is what inspired Arnst to become a gentleman adventurer.  With family fortune in hand he reconfigured one of the old flying ships, made it is his own and set off on a life of adventure.

That's not to say there have not been a fair number of bumps in that road.  Arnst for all his enthusiasm has very little understanding of the cultures of the dirt-dwellers.  So far his efforts to rescue damsels in distress and play the part of the hero has read more like a tyrant's visitation of fiery destruction and death.  Of course, that's not how Arnst would tell the tale.

Arnst is naive, having been raised by overprotective Skyfarer parents who seemed to think it best that their son remain airborne most of his life.  He was raised to fear and avoid most animals.  And if that is not already a recipe for disaster, he is quite the adept tinkerer.  Knowing full well that he would need powerful tools to brave the unknown wilds of the dirt world he has rigged his fire belching air ship with all manner of instruments of death.  Let's just say the first cow to threaten him did not live  to fight another day.

The title of 'lord' is accurate in Skyfarer terms since he is 'lord' of his flying ship.  It does not bear any weight with ground-based kingdoms however and is very apt to get laughed at.

Arnst is slowly coming to understand the error of his ways, but he is currently wanted in three kingdoms, dead or alive.  He is completely oblivious to this fact.

abandoneddolly

I have another thing to add

elemental

They are humanish in form but have the characteristics of whatever element they represent. ex, a fire elemental would have red hair and eyes. They also have magic linked to  that element.  They usually stay in a climate or place that is best suited for whatever element they have. ex. ice element would live somewhere cold. Their is only a handfull of each type of elementall and they have no ruler , but live on their own.

Galanthor

ok elementals and shadows added, drifts char registered, though not read...a few more chars and we can finally start

abandoneddolly

Name- Elizabeth Arin

Race ice elemental

age 23

Elizabeth skin is pale blue and moist. her hair is a light almost white color to it and have pieces of ice frozen in it. The area around her is always cold and when she breaths you can see the little wisps of breath out of her mouth. She wears elegant dresses.

Having been raised up in an influential h ouse in the north, Her views on things are a bit naive. She likes to help people if she can. She also has to think out each action and weigh the benefits before she acts. This means it takes her quite a while to do anything, but once she starts something its hard to get her to change her mind.

Wyrd

I hope this works.

Humans

The Humans were at one time the most powerful race and the crown jewel of military force in the land. But that was many years ago in the golden age of the Human Empire. After full scale civil war the empire fell and the Human race entered a dark age that made room for many of the and other races of the land to claim power for other civilizations to grow and flourish. Now a days, Humans mostly live in walled cities of stone that are ruled independently by a king, warlord or dictator since their is no united human government any more. Many humans are farmers. Although they are not the power house force they use to be, Human warriors, knights and militias are still very deadly and versatile fighters. Though the Empire has long been dead, Ancient Human structures and monuments still stand through out the land.             
Ragtime Dandies!

Galanthor

if you can imagine, i can make it work...in fact i like it

on a side not, think we got enough races to justify drawing a map, from here on added "realms" would be hard, i mean city's can be dropped quite easily but realms need lots of free space.

EDIT: if there are are special places you want to add you should tell me asap...and i'd ask everyone to work out their charakter

Wyrd

Put in a place like mirkwood. A dark forest of death and mist
Ragtime Dandies!

Wyrd

Name: Klaid Sword Bearer

Race: Human

Bio: Klaid was born and raised on a small farm for on the out reaches of the Human lands near the Doomforests. At the age of fourteen, while trekking the three day journey to the nearest town for supplies, his mother, father and two sisters were killed be by Strange creatures that came from the shadows of the Forest.Upon his return he was traumatized by the sight of his mutilated family. He sat in the silences of death next to his parents bloody remains for two days until a strange spirit of a woman appeared before him. She had no words but instead bestowed upon him the ability to use magic rune stones of power, A companion in the form of a silver dragon and a sword the had the words "Sword Bearer" engraved on the silver blade in the ancient human language. Since that day, Klaid has roamed the land with a lust for revenge and justice to any and all magical creatures that he sees to be evil. Many  from all races of the land have fallen bloody to his mighty skill and blade. His Dragon companion, Liara, is the only friend and voice of reason to Klaid. but if told by Klaid to kill those he sees as a threat, she would not think twice about it.

Klaid and Liara tend to stay away from big cities. Roaming mostly in the forests and wastes. 

Liara

Ragtime Dandies!

sinoraa

Galanthor

you're always welcome...(really gotta finish that bloody map so we can start =/)

sinoraa

Currently writing my char, and i was just wondering what types of magic do we go for here? Currently im basing her roughly around DnD magic.

Galanthor

any...this game is vastly about freedom, you can do anything and be anything...this isn't a system rpg after all so i don't think there has to be anyhing set about magic...

however new races should be told^^

Drift

I think the only time it will become an issue is when two characters come together and start talking about magic.  It shouldn't be an issue in most social situations unless someone is manipulating someone else magically.  We could always assume there are a wide variety of magical schemes in effect and people learned from different teachers so there is no 'norm' for magic in this universe but there are a plethora of styles and schools that people have learned over generations.

And sure it'll be unbalanced.  I'm sure some people will have way bigger magic than others.  But that's not the point.   I think Galanthor has left things open on purpose so we're allowed to make weaklings or powermonsters.  It's whatever you want.  As long as people are having fun with it it shouldn't matter.

Galanthor

quite correct power is something else...i don't want godmodding, as it makes the game frustating but that wasn't the question.

Basicly...magic is in my mind quite close to religion, you can't say something is right and something is wrong, all the "systems" are just ways to visualize how it works. They are pictures. Just as...well...replace god with allah, and see if the main picture changes... I think such discussions hold great potential

I want everyone to have the freedom of developing his charakter how he/she wishes. By that i don't want to set  to many things in a fixed matter

Drift

Well, you can have a character that is very powerful and still not godmode with it.  Godmoding is when you're telling other people what to do with their characters without any room for spell failure or things not going your way.  As a rule of thumb, all characters should have a weakness or sometimes make mistakes.  I personally don't like playing with someone who's character never falls into traps, always sees the truth of the matter (deception just NEVER works no matter how good your character is at acting), and consistently has everything fall in their favor... the godmoder might be alone in the world or even be surrounded with NPCs that always agree and do their bidding flawlessly (can't be corrupted or bribed... nope).

sinoraa

Name: Anora

Alias: Lady of the wild

Race: High elf

Bio: Within the great wild, the humans speak of a woman with flowing silver hair, which shines even threw the darkest nights, and who's beauty go unrivaled, through out the world. Some call her a spirit, some even call her a god, and other believe her to be nothing but a myth, conjured up by superstitious commoners.

In truth, the spirit is nothing more, then a ancient high elf, named Anora, who has separated herself from her people, to live in tune with nature. For years now, she has been running with the wolves, and speaking to the trees, serving as a guardian, and a protector to the forest, and everything within it. While traveler would make her out to be some wrathful being, she is content with leaving most alone, or simply letting them off with a warning.

And here is a short template for her companion.

Name:  Safiya

Race: Spirit

Drift

Sinoraa those are beautiful pictures.  Looks like pastels maybe?  Very inspiring.