[Numenera]Interest Check - Post apocalypse science-fantasy, all players welcome!

Started by Galactic Druid, March 03, 2015, 11:17:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Galactic Druid

A/As last updated 11/27 - Halfway past busy season!

Re Z L

I was thinking of perhaps a Mechanical Jack who Talks to Machines, but it seems like we have a lot of utility amongst the other various Jacks...  Maybe a Glaive then?  Hmmm...
A&A

Galactic Druid

My character (in another game, I'm not planning on having a PC in this, just NPCS) is a Hardy Glaive who Fuses Flesh and Steel. It's insanely fun, and oftentimes, just regular insane.

Crash

Work in progress

Name Xuin Fletchwick (Pronounced Quin)

I am a Clever Jack who Rides the Lightning.

Damage Track: Hale

Might: 10/10
Might Edge: 0

Speed: 12/12
Speed Edge: 0

Intelligence: 16/16
Int Edge: 1

Armor: None

Effort Level: 1

Weapons and Damage:
Unarmed with charge 3
Medium Bashing 4(5 with charge)
Medium Ranged 4(5 with charge)

Cyphers (Max 2)
-(Anoetic) Weapon: Handheld (Level 6)
A light metal mechanism. When thrown, covers a zone at short range on a small area, causing hallucination for one hour. The effect lasts for one round and affects anything passing through it.
-(Anoetic) Buff: Handheld (Level 4)
A large, shiny mirror with colored markings. When attached and activated, adds 4 points to might pool for one hour.

Skills and Inabilities:
-Charm
-Lies and trickery
-Resisting mental effects
-Assessing danger, lies, quality, importance, function, or power
-Poor at Studying (Knowledge tasks +1 step)

Special Moves, Abilities, and Esoteries:
-Flex Skill
-Practiced With Light/Medium Weapons
-Smart
-Electrical esoteries
-Shock (1 intellect)
-Charge (1+ intellect)
-Hedge Magic (1 Intellect)
-Trained without armor

Equipment and items:
Clothing
Medium Ranged
Medium Bashing
Leather Jerkin
Explorer's pack
Bag of Light Tools
Bag of miscellaneous batteries and power cells
18 Shins

Artifacts and Oddities:
Chair that can be stored in an extradimensional space when activated.

Backstory:
Connection: One PC is an old friend, and can come along with Bolt Rider or Electrical Flight.

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."
Congratulations, you've unlocked Flirtatious Crash! - Envious

Crash

Quote from: ThatRPGuy on March 06, 2015, 07:58:25 PM
My character (in another game, I'm not planning on having a PC in this, just NPCS) is a Hardy Glaive who Fuses Flesh and Steel. It's insanely fun, and oftentimes, just regular insane.

Yeah Glaives look like a lot of fun.

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."

Galactic Druid

If I'm not mistaken, Resisting mental effects is the one free choice skill you went with, correct?

Galactic Druid

Oh, almost forgot, did you roll a die for your cyphers and oddity?

Crash

I did but not here so if you want me to roll again I certainly can.

Crash

Quote from: ThatRPGuy on March 06, 2015, 08:45:24 PM
If I'm not mistaken, Resisting mental effects is the one free choice skill you went with, correct?

No it is part of Clever.

Charm was my free choice skill.

Galactic Druid

Quote from: Crash on March 06, 2015, 08:51:36 PM
I did but not here so if you want me to roll again I certainly can.

Naw, Cyphers are single shots, those will be used up and replaced before the end of the encounter. I was half tempted to give you the cape that flaps in the breeze without wind as your oddity though. Oh well, soon enough...

Crash

Hah that would have been perfect.  I picture him as a bit of a show off con artist type.

Galactic Druid

That or some bracelets that light up with various neon colors, changing every so often. I love the idea of a rave rogue.

Speaking of, I added some information on Numenera, including artifacts and cyphers, to the original post. Tomorrow I'll work on the basics of combat and damage, and once that's done, I'm pretty sure we'll have all the basics everyone needs to know to make informed decisions and get started.

ChaoticSky

Galactic Druid

I've lost a few things when tablet posting, it's the worst. I'm really sorry to hear that, Darkling. If you want some help reconstructing, I'd be happy to, I know the system pretty well.

ChaoticSky

Quote from: ThatRPGuy on March 06, 2015, 10:47:11 PM
I've lost a few things when tablet posting, it's the worst. I'm really sorry to hear that, Darkling. If you want some help reconstructing, I'd be happy to, I know the system pretty well.
Its alright, ill get most of the crunch part up tonight, if not all, will have to wait till tomorrow for the fluff though.

Galactic Druid

No rush, there's plenty of time! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

ChaoticSky

WIP it is. Bio remains

Name: Avari Kell An Empathic Nano who Fuses Mind and Machine
Stats
MightSpeedIntellect
Pool8/810/1024/24
Edge001
Effort: 1

Damage Track: Hale

Traits
Skills and Inabilities
+Sensing other emotions, discerning dispositions, and getting a hunch about people.
+All social interaction, pleasant or otherwise.
+Knowledge of Numenera and Identifying them.
+Knowledge of Wireless Signals
-The difficulty of Intellect defence rolls is increased by one step.

Abilities
-Open Mind: +4 to your Intellect Pool
-Practised With Light Weapons: Can use light weapons without penalty.
-Numenera Training: You are trained in the numenera and can attempt to understand and identify its properties.
-Mechanical Assistance. +4 Intellect Pool. [Enabler]
-Stored Memories: You are trained in one area of knowledge (Wireless Signals) of your choice. [Enabler]

Esoteries
-Onslaught (1 IP): Attack a foe's Body and deal 4 points of damage, or his Mind and deal 2 points of Intellect damage which ignores armour, though may not affect mindless things. Must be able to see target. [Action]
-Resonance Field (1 IP): Can make an Intellect defense roll in place of a normal defense roll. The effect lasts for one minute. Minor Effect causes 1 damage, Major causes 4. [Action to initiate]

Items Shins: 4
-Clothing
-a book about the numenera

Weapons
-Unarmed
-Dagger (Light. 2 Damage. Attacks one step easier, Can be thrown Short Range.)

Armor: 0
-None

Numenera
Cyphers
-Blinking nodule (lvl 3. A small crystal nodule that activates when affixed to armor or clothing. For the next 28 hours, each time (but not more than once per round) the wearer of the armor the nodule is attached to is struck hard enough to inflict damage, he teleports an immediate distance in a random direction (not up or down). Since the wearer is prepared for this effect and his foe is not, the difficulty of the wearer’s defense is modified by one step to his benefit for one round after he teleports.)
-Orbital Launcher (lvl 5. A hollow cylinder, about 9 inches wide and a little more than a foot long. Launches an object placed inside with enough velocity that it does not return.)
- X-ray viewer (lvl 6. A small glass panel embedded on a strip of metal, when held up against a solid surface, this panel allows the user to see through up to 2 feet (0.6 m) of material. The panel works only if the cypher’s level is higher than the material’s level. The effect lasts for one minute.)

Oddities
-Mood Bracelets (Glows brightly and changes color, seemingly dependent on the wearer's mood)

Artifacts
-Monodirectional Signal Dongle (Hairclip. Decreases the difficulty of resisting Attacks/Intrusion on your implants and enhancements by one step)

Notes
-Habitually keeps resonance active whenever shes concious.

Bio

wip

Galactic Druid

Good lord, that is a massive Intellect pool for a first tier character! Looking good Darkling!

When it comes to your note on resonance field, I'll allow that within reason. I'm assuming she wouldn't be recasting the spell and giving off a fresh glow every minute when engaged in an important conversation, for example. Also, if she's not spending the first round of a scuffle activating the ability, there's a chance that minute will be up 4-5 rounds into the encounter.

ChaoticSky

Quote from: ThatRPGuy on March 07, 2015, 07:00:38 AM
Good lord, that is a massive Intellect pool for a first tier character! Looking good Darkling!

When it comes to your note on resonance field, I'll allow that within reason. I'm assuming she wouldn't be recasting the spell and giving off a fresh glow every minute when engaged in an important conversation, for example. Also, if she's not spending the first round of a scuffle activating the ability, there's a chance that minute will be up 4-5 rounds into the encounter.
*nod* The way i figure it, theres a really obvious sign when its on (her lines glow XD) and its really useful as a defensive measure. So she got into the habit of keeping it going all the time, and by this point is pretty much a ingrained habit, like breathing. Though it doesnt work when shes unconscious obviously, and if shes sufficiently distracted she could forget (sounds like a good GM intrusion*poke*). I do plan to have her clear/reactivate it at the start of combat though, its more a paranoia measure than a attempt to save myself a turn.

Of course, glowing probably plays merry hell with stealth, and its not hard to imagine other circumstances when shed have to turn it off.

Galactic Druid

I was already thinking of some intrusion ideas (I imagine many town guards would see someone constantly warding themselves as a threat...), but your philosophy on how to handle it in combat is perfect. On that note, one round of combat is around 6 seconds or so, so a minute will give you a good 10 rounds.

Galactic Druid

Added the basics for combat, combat ranges, damage, and recovery into the original post. I think that's all the basics I need to point out for us to get started. Is there anything about the system that someone would like me to clarify? I want to make sure everyone is comfortable with the rules.

Aiyanna

I am so sorry! I forgot to bookmark the thread and I am so behind. RPguy, can you please, please PM me what I need to know and what I need to do? I'm just getting confused trying to find everything in the thread :/
When you message me, please use the same message thread every time.
Ideas
O/o's

Galactic Druid

No need to worry, Aiyanna. We're all still working on things like character sheets and game info, so you're perfectly fine. Really, everything you need to know to have a basic understanding of the system and how to make a character (including tools to help) is in the initial post of this thread, which I've been updating.

Aiyanna

And this is the easy system? All of this is giving me such a headache...

I still have no idea what I'm doing character sheet wise, but here is my character line:

Naomi, a Graceful Glaive who Controls Beasts.

I said that before I saw the moves like a cat option!

EDIT

Naomi, a Graceful Glaive who Moves Like a Cat.
When you message me, please use the same message thread every time.
Ideas
O/o's