The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies

Started by Mathim, November 18, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mia h

Quote from: SapphireStar on December 07, 2015, 10:22:36 AM
DC has long had a partnership with Warner Bros.
It's not really a partnership as Warner Bros. owns DC Comics.
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

Mathim

Quote from: mia h on December 07, 2015, 11:57:59 AM
It's not really a partnership as Warner Bros. owns DC Comics.

Huh? They OWN them? I thought they just had an exclusivity contract. Otherwise I have no idea why Gotham is on Fox...
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

SapphireStar

DC comics is a publishing unit of Warner Bros. Both of which is owned by the parent company Time Warner.

Gotham isn't the first DC based show to air on Fox. Batman the animated series aired on Fox Kids along with X-men when it was run by Saban. Same could be said for Supergirl on CBS. They had shopped the show around to the other networks before CBS picked it up.

Speaking of Martian Manhunter. He's appearing on Supergirl as is Silver Banshee. Is it me or has no one figured out that Kara is Supergirl when she flew into her apartment window dressed in her Supergirl uniform and in broad daylight?

mia h

Supergirl and CBS is an odd one, Warner owns half of the CW the other half is owned by CBS so getting a show onto CW's sister network is always going to be easier than any of the other big networks. Add in that the show is run by Greg Berlanti and then CBS becomes the obvious choice.
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on December 07, 2015, 09:59:46 PM
DC comics is a publishing unit of Warner Bros. Both of which is owned by the parent company Time Warner.

Gotham isn't the first DC based show to air on Fox. Batman the animated series aired on Fox Kids along with X-men when it was run by Saban. Same could be said for Supergirl on CBS. They had shopped the show around to the other networks before CBS picked it up.

Speaking of Martian Manhunter. He's appearing on Supergirl as is Silver Banshee. Is it me or has no one figured out that Kara is Supergirl when she flew into her apartment window dressed in her Supergirl uniform and in broad daylight?

I just wouldn't have thought it would benefit Warner to lease some properties out to other companies to produce anything.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

CaptainNexus616

Quote from: SapphireStar on December 07, 2015, 09:59:46 PMIs it me or has no one figured out that Kara is Supergirl when she flew into her apartment window dressed in her Supergirl uniform and in broad daylight?

Same plot logic as how no one ever suspects Clark Kent is Superman. I get that he acts a different manner in some interpretations but come on!

This right here is perhaps my favorite example of no one noticing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5nUsa8ZLm4&feature=player_detailpage

Think about it for a moment. BATMAN. The freaking Batman of all people had to put a tracker on Superman's cape to follow him and figure out who he really was.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on December 08, 2015, 07:44:22 PM
Same plot logic as how no one ever suspects Clark Kent is Superman. I get that he acts a different manner in some interpretations but come on!

This right here is perhaps my favorite example of no one noticing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5nUsa8ZLm4&feature=player_detailpage

Think about it for a moment. BATMAN. The freaking Batman of all people had to put a tracker on Superman's cape to follow him and figure out who he really was.

And that was a seriously legit laugh-out-loud moment when I first saw that episode, where Bats shows he's really got skills even if he's not a real superhuman crimefighter.

How old is Ben Affleck compared to Henry Cavill? I mean, I noticed a distracting amount of grey in Batfleck's hair, and the one thing you do not want people to think about Batman is that he's getting old. Not that I'm knocking Affleck's casting, I'm just kind of surprised they wouldn't have wanted to maybe go a tad younger or at least help it look like he wasn't ready to letting someone else don the cape and cowl.

Bought Ant-Man on DVD today, upon a second viewing it does seem to be overall a tad slower than I recall. Still doesn't affect how I rated it but now I can see why perhaps others may not have enjoyed it as much.

SapphireStar

Ben Affleck is 42. Henry Cavill is 32. They probably added stuff to Affleck's hair to make it appear grey.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on December 08, 2015, 09:50:38 PM
Ben Affleck is 42. Henry Cavill is 32. They probably added stuff to Affleck's hair to make it appear grey.

ADDED it? But...but why? I mean, I don't question the other stupid stuff they're doing, I just chalk it up to normal corporate short-sightedness fueled by greed, but this...this can't be done without an explanation.

Deamonbane

Since they're going with The Batman vs. Superman story, they're probably borrowing from the Dark Knight Returns storyline, in which Bats is like... 55? I think. Means grayer hair than what Mr. Afflicted generally has, so they had to add some. With the stressful kind of life that Wayne leads, I wouldn't doubt some premature gray hairs.
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Mathim

Quote from: Deamonbane on December 09, 2015, 11:17:34 AM
Since they're going with The Batman vs. Superman story, they're probably borrowing from the Dark Knight Returns storyline, in which Bats is like... 55? I think. Means grayer hair than what Mr. Afflicted generally has, so they had to add some. With the stressful kind of life that Wayne leads, I wouldn't doubt some premature gray hairs.

But that's like the opposite of what Spider-Man is going through now. Heroes shouldn't be too young or too old, that creates way too much awkwardness. Why can't he be the age Christian Bale's Bruce Wayne would have been right after TDKR ended? At least people would be expecting that and be comfortable with it. Plus you'd think a playboy like Brucie would be able to afford hair treatments for that. Unless he's doing it to help keep suspicion off himself. Who would think a guy like that (i.e. a senior citizen) could possibly be the Batman?

Deamonbane

As I recall from the comics and even in the Dark Knight Rises, Brucie boy isn't quite broke, but he's pretty damn close. As I recall, The Dark Knight Returns occurs after Bats retired and was brought back into action through some sort of internal struggle. It's pretty clear from the trailer that the same is gonna happen in BvsS. Plus, at 55, he wouldn't be much of a playboy, would he? Either a recluse or very active in his business, and we both know which one it's gonna be.

It's an explanation that makes sense, at least to me. Not a great explanation, but one nonetheless.
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Mathim

Quote from: Deamonbane on December 09, 2015, 01:46:11 PM
As I recall from the comics and even in the Dark Knight Rises, Brucie boy isn't quite broke, but he's pretty damn close. As I recall, The Dark Knight Returns occurs after Bats retired and was brought back into action through some sort of internal struggle. It's pretty clear from the trailer that the same is gonna happen in BvsS. Plus, at 55, he wouldn't be much of a playboy, would he? Either a recluse or very active in his business, and we both know which one it's gonna be.

It's an explanation that makes sense, at least to me. Not a great explanation, but one nonetheless.

So what happens to being extremely selective about casting, in that actors are expected to reprise the same roles for years? And they're supposed to be winding the clocks back to boot for things like Suicide Squad, which supposedly is before Bats retired. This makes negative sense. Like I said, nobody should logically want to see an over-the-hill Bruce Wayne struggling to put the suit back on, and given that he's the weakest of the Justice League, this is just that much worse of a lapse in judgment. Unless they're going to be doing a successor story (isn't Batgirl supposed to be in it, played by Jena Malone?), but then what happens to Batman, the name that's selling this movie?

SapphireStar

I think Warner Bros. is trying to get away from the Christian Bale movies. Go in a different direction. At one point, Christian Bale refused to do another Batman related movie if they had Robin in it. Then, when reports of Batman v. Superman coming out, I think he said he wanted to do it, but Warner Bros was like 'Nope, not gonna happen'. According to rumors, Christian Bale is notoriously hard to work with on set. There was that flip out on the set of Terminator Salvation he had.

Batman was reported to be retired by then, which is why Amanda Waller released The Joker from prison in order to draw out Batman. It was also reported the Joker was the only one who had seen/knew who Batman was. So, there is a possibilty they're throwing in part of the story where Joker killed Jason Todd and blew up Wayne Manor. Which could account for why Bruce is basically in hiding in the Batcave. And, also accounts for the Robin suit sprayed painted by the Joker.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on December 09, 2015, 03:14:37 PM
I think Warner Bros. is trying to get away from the Christian Bale movies. Go in a different direction. At one point, Christian Bale refused to do another Batman related movie if they had Robin in it. Then, when reports of Batman v. Superman coming out, I think he said he wanted to do it, but Warner Bros was like 'Nope, not gonna happen'. According to rumors, Christian Bale is notoriously hard to work with on set. There was that flip out on the set of Terminator Salvation he had.

Batman was reported to be retired by then, which is why Amanda Waller released The Joker from prison in order to draw out Batman. It was also reported the Joker was the only one who had seen/knew who Batman was. So, there is a possibilty they're throwing in part of the story where Joker killed Jason Todd and blew up Wayne Manor. Which could account for why Bruce is basically in hiding in the Batcave. And, also accounts for the Robin suit sprayed painted by the Joker.

So much for Batman being at his prime. I don't mind a little mental or emotional scarring from losing one or more Robins but I really want to never spend a single microsecond thinking, "Hmm, he's a bit too old to be doing this anymore." Plus now that the entire movie's plot is spoiled, I'm just having a hard time figuring out what he can possibly contribute to fighting a Superman-level threat if said threat is, say, immune to Kryptonite, supposedly the only weakness that can be exploited.

CaptainNexus616

My money is on that rifle Bats is carrying is some kind of weapon to weaken Doomsday. That or Superman will do like his Justice Lord Counterpart did and lobotomize Doomsday with heat vision. He already snapped the dude's neck Doomsday is made from so why freaking not at this point?
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on December 09, 2015, 09:03:28 PM
My money is on that rifle Bats is carrying is some kind of weapon to weaken Doomsday. That or Superman will do like his Justice Lord Counterpart did and lobotomize Doomsday with heat vision. He already snapped the dude's neck Doomsday is made from so why freaking not at this point?

Well if Doomsday is basically just a mutated Zod (how the frak did they manage this, especially if he was dead? Or is it an attempted clone?) then perhaps its weakness to Kryptonite will remain and Bats has Kryptonite ammo in his weird-looking gun. But otherwise, no way he belongs on that battlefield with Supes and Wonder Woman. Plus, infamously strong beast right out of the gate? This thing could kick Darkseid's ass, but we can bet he'll be the big bad later on.

SapphireStar

They gave Lex Luthor Zod's dead body to experiment with probably in the hopes of creating their own line of superbeings to combat those like Superman, etc. In the comics, Doomsday gets stronger each time he is killed and can't be killed the same way again. So, if they're sticking to that, snapping his neck isn't going to work this time.

Batman has been able to go toe to toe with some of the top heroes as well as villians. At least in the comics and animated movies/cartoons. He studied each hero or villain learning their weaknesses. Coming up with contingency plans if one of them went bad like in Justice League: Doom. Batman is supposed to be like a master strategist with a pretty much genius level intelligect. Speaking of the movie, the people associated with it dropped yet another big spoiler regarding the desert scene with Batman. Seriously, if they keep revealing all kind of details of the plot, it kind of takes away the surprise of watching the movie if you know everything ahead of time.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on December 09, 2015, 11:17:22 PM
They gave Lex Luthor Zod's dead body to experiment with probably in the hopes of creating their own line of superbeings to combat those like Superman, etc. In the comics, Doomsday gets stronger each time he is killed and can't be killed the same way again. So, if they're sticking to that, snapping his neck isn't going to work this time.

Batman has been able to go toe to toe with some of the top heroes as well as villians. At least in the comics and animated movies/cartoons. He studied each hero or villain learning their weaknesses. Coming up with contingency plans if one of them went bad like in Justice League: Doom. Batman is supposed to be like a master strategist with a pretty much genius level intelligect. Speaking of the movie, the people associated with it dropped yet another big spoiler regarding the desert scene with Batman. Seriously, if they keep revealing all kind of details of the plot, it kind of takes away the surprise of watching the movie if you know everything ahead of time.

They've already spoiled enough that it won't be enjoyable, so that's already been done.

And Batman, I'm not disputing his capabilities, I'm simply furthering the discussion on how they're neutering him in this cinematic universe. He's had no time to study Doomsday, little if any devoted to Superman (apart from, presumably, Kryptonite), and as you pointed out, if this Doomsday is immune to each methodology of how to kill him once he recovers, then even Batman's contribution will be negligible if it comes to Kryptonite being ineffective. Besides, how are they going to dispose of the body even if they kill it? That shit is still dangerous! And it wouldn't be a stretch to imagine it can fly through space without asphyxiating so even to transport it to a different planet is out of the question. Well, they're already cramming so many heroes and cameos into it, maybe Green Lantern will show up and offer to imprison it inside a green energy barrier prison for them. This really feels more like an episode of the TV shows than a professionally made film.

SapphireStar

Pretty much there is nothing that can truly kill Doomsday. He's been launched into space. Sent to the future. Buried deep within the Earth only to be found and released. Each time he comes back stronger then before. Even in the cartoon, Superman, not the Justice Lord one, tried to lobotomize Doomsday again, but it didn't work. Even in Smallville, they contemplated sending Doomsday to the Phantomzone, but someone brought up the fact that Zone isn't foolproof. That Doomsday could eventually escape.

Or, Aquaman shows up and takes Doomsday and confines him in one of the deepest sea trenches/abyss there is.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on December 10, 2015, 12:18:52 PM
Pretty much there is nothing that can truly kill Doomsday. He's been launched into space. Sent to the future. Buried deep within the Earth only to be found and released. Each time he comes back stronger then before. Even in the cartoon, Superman, not the Justice Lord one, tried to lobotomize Doomsday again, but it didn't work. Even in Smallville, they contemplated sending Doomsday to the Phantomzone, but someone brought up the fact that Zone isn't foolproof. That Doomsday could eventually escape.

Or, Aquaman shows up and takes Doomsday and confines him in one of the deepest sea trenches/abyss there is.

Too bad the Phantom Zone is presumably inaccessible anymore. That would have taken care of Zod without the neck snappage. But like I said, the Green Lantern Corps. surely have a way to deal with that and his movie isn't that far out...is it? I can't remember how far off it is. But they're trying to get everyone's mug shot on screen before their solo movies anyway, so he'll probably be there at some point, or maybe in a post-credits scene.

This is why the Hulk is a better hero than Superman on the big screen despite having the same sort of invulnerable kind of ability. He can be hurt visibly, and yet can still defeat a stronger opponent because their weaknesses aren't limited to an extremely rare radioactive rock and magic.

CaptainNexus616

Quote from: Mathim on December 10, 2015, 04:18:34 PM
Too bad the Phantom Zone is presumably inaccessible anymore. That would have taken care of Zod without the neck snappage. But like I said, the Green Lantern Corps. surely have a way to deal with that and his movie isn't that far out...is it? I can't remember how far off it is. But they're trying to get everyone's mug shot on screen before their solo movies anyway, so he'll probably be there at some point, or maybe in a post-credits scene.

This is why the Hulk is a better hero than Superman on the big screen despite having the same sort of invulnerable kind of ability. He can be hurt visibly, and yet can still defeat a stronger opponent because their weaknesses aren't limited to an extremely rare radioactive rock and magic.

Its also clear Black Widow is his Kyrptonite in the MCU if you know what I mean  ::)

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on December 10, 2015, 09:23:43 PM
Its also clear Black Widow is his Kyrptonite in the MCU if you know what I mean  ::)

Sorry, that relentless cock-tease pulling a romantic boner for Big Green out of her ass (or thin air, whatever you prefer) was the low point of Age of Ultron. Worse than the twins' atrocious attempts at a convincing accent. Thank Feige that he's gone for Civil War so it can't continue.

SapphireStar

They should introduce the female Red Hulk  O:)

Speaking of the MCU, there are a few rumors about the Thor movie. It is up in the air whether or not Natalie Portman will return. Apparently, she wasn't happy that the woman director (I forgot her name) was dismissed. There is talk about having a female villain for the movie. They mentioned three possibilities. Loki's daughter, is one. Hela, was mentioned, and a third, Queen Korda.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on December 10, 2015, 09:33:10 PM
They should introduce the female Red Hulk  O:)

Speaking of the MCU, there are a few rumors about the Thor movie. It is up in the air whether or not Natalie Portman will return. Apparently, she wasn't happy that the woman director (I forgot her name) was dismissed. There is talk about having a female villain for the movie. They mentioned three possibilities. Loki's daughter, is one. Hela, was mentioned, and a third, Queen Korda.

Dismissed? I thought they voluntarily dropped out, like the first couple of Gambit directors. I didn't know it had (or may have) anything to do with Portman's return, I was under the impression she didn't even want to do The Dark World. Hela would be a great choice, especially if she would be Loki's enemy as well, since their family relation wouldn't make her sympathetic to him and thus forcing him to either create another alliance with his adopted brother, or else form his own 'team' (isn't it about damn time someone with actual superpowers started building a team of evil superhumans?) to try and come out on top. I think a three-way conflict would be a nice change of pace for the MCU.

Not that familiar with Korda, who dat? And I know people are clamoring for Charlie the Ron to play Enchantress. I'm wondering if, because Suicide Squad also has someone by that name, if the MCU might want to pocket her for later. But then, they already used her sister Lorelei in Agents of SHIELD, and look how dangerous she was. Imagine what a threat the big sister would be.

Oh, and I thought Iron Fist had been officially cast, but apparently not? Aaron Arkin (or however you spell/pronounce it, I've heard several different versions) isn't on the IMDB cast thing anymore, which I'm fairly certain he once was. But considering they're supposed to have Iron Fist's series premiere after Luke Cage's (which basically make it like Luke Cage comes out around Civil War, and Iron Fist comes out around Doctor Strange) they'd best stop dicking around and get to work since Doctor Strange is already filming and they had to delay a bunch of stuff for Benedict Cumberbatch. I don't think anyone hired to portray Danny Rand has that kind of clout!

Also something about Civil War is bugging me. They're bringing back Ross, who apparently left his military career for a milder political one (by choice or by force, either way) even though the most familiar character to his, Hulk, is conspicuously absent for the conflict. And Ross becomes the Red Hulk in the comics. Makes me wonder whether that'll become an element now or later, and the thing that bothers me is, if he can become a Hulk, wouldn't that mean just about anyone could? How are they going to get the genie back in the bottle with that one if they go down that road?