The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies

Started by Mathim, November 18, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on February 25, 2016, 12:45:15 AM
Are we taking bets how long it will be before we start seeing a bunch of hardcore R rated comic films? After the huge success that is Deadpool one or two critics (And I am not talking about Youtube reviewers) I have seen are expressing concern.

They fear that people will only see that making a comic movie R rated will be the next big milestone since the Avengers and try to make a movie with the rating without bothering to take a minute and to consider it was basis of Deadpool's character that made it great and not the fact it was R.

No bets. Deadpool is probably one of the few that can appeal to such a broad range because it's just so freakin' OUT THERE that nothing else comes close. Deadpool is defined by being in that territory, most other characters will work fine in PG-13 mode but obviously some will be slightly better in R territory, like Ghost Rider, Punisher, Blade, Wolverine and a few others. It's not something that would give the right sort of flavor to EVERYBODY so they need to put their eagerness to explore this new thing in check, otherwise we'll start seeing Cap's shield turn a little more red than we'd like.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

SapphireStar

Its being reported that Batman v Superman is changing the tone of the film. They are making it even darker and so they can get the R rating. At the rate they're going with the character development, Justice League might as well be called The Justice Lords.

mia h

The film is one month away from release and they finished principle photography over a year ago. At this point they ain't changin jack shit.

Anyway in lighter news Alan Tudyk, Danny Pudi & Vanessa Hudgens are lined up for the pilot of Powerless, a comedy set in an insurance office that deals the fallout of the battles between heroes and villains.

And finally....

*cough* when I said finally....
Marvel have found their Iron Fist, Finn Jones aka Ser Loras Tyrell.
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

SapphireStar

They can re-edit scenes by either adding or deleting footage already shot, or they can go back and reshoot certain things.  Lord of the Rings went back and reshot certain things after principle photography wrapped up. DC is rushing all their films. The Flash and Aquaman haven't even had origin movies, or Batman. Flash and Aquaman have small roles in Batman v Superman, not revealed how big a role. But, thinking they jump in at the last ten minutes of the movie to help Superman, Wonder Woman and Batman take down Doomsday.

The Flash tv show is tackling the multiple Earth premise with Zoom. So, its probable that they might start bringing other characters from Multiple Earths. How cool would it be if they did the Crime Syndicate? And, it seems magic is not being integrated with the shows. Counting down the episodes till they finally bring in Zatanna. If they do, they should bring back Serinda Swan to reprise the role. Would be interesting if they start bringing in some of the Titans like Raven, Cyborg, etc.

mia h

I found your R-rated BvS story, like I said they aren't changing anything. There is going to DVD version of the film that has more violent content than the theatrical release and so it's going to get a different rating, which isn't at all uncommon.

http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2016/02/batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice-ultimate-edition-rated-r.html

I guess we'll find out in a month but I wouldn't expect anything more the cameo's from Aquaman, Flash and Cyborg (that's if the last two appear at all). I'm imagining some rousing speech by Superman about how it took three of them to defeat Doomsday and maybe they should look for others who can help them, cue montage of the rest the as yet unformed Justice League.

Mathim

That part 2 of the Daredevil trailer...while I would have liked to have seen it a month and a half ago, that's all you can really complain about. So unbelievably excited about it. The Hand, Elektra shown kicking some ass and getting in some naughties, Stick's back, and no sign of Kingpin (which you have to admit, would overcomplicate things). Things are looking good. Don't want to just assume it'll exceed season 1, but here's hoping!

BvS having an R-rated version is for what, really? To sell extra DVDs? That sounds like they're publicly admitting that they're not expecting to do as well in the box office and are banking on their secondary means of making revenue. I do not like the sound of that. Let's see what happens around release time and what reviews have to say. For all we know this could have a Fant4stic situation in the making.

I really want Flash season 2 to be on Netflix already, I enjoyed the first so much I can't wait to see how they expand on it even further. I honestly thought just that one season was better than all of the 3 seasons I've seen of Arrow combined. Not sure about them adding any Titans if that other network is going forward with their plans for that, as ill-conceived as that seems unless the funding is through the roof.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

mia h

Quote from: Mathim on February 25, 2016, 03:43:46 PM
BvS having an R-rated version is for what, really? To sell extra DVDs? That sounds like they're publicly admitting that they're not expecting to do as well in the box office and are banking on their secondary means of making revenue.
Talking about making a leap! That assumption is so powerful could leap tall buildings in a single bound. But of course we all need to remember in Mathim-world everything remotely linked to DCCU is crap sight unseen  ::). They didn't make an R-rated version that made version that was then rated R, there is a big difference and having different versions with different ratings is not unheard of.

Quote from: Mathim on February 25, 2016, 03:43:46 PM
Not sure about them adding any Titans if that other network is going forward with their plans for that, as ill-conceived as that seems unless the funding is through the roof.
The Titans project on TNT died off months ago.

Mathim

Quote from: mia h on February 25, 2016, 04:21:58 PM
Talking about making a leap! That assumption is so powerful could leap tall buildings in a single bound. But of course we all need to remember in Mathim-world everything remotely linked to DCCU is crap sight unseen  ::). They didn't make an R-rated version that made version that was then rated R, there is a big difference and having different versions with different ratings is not unheard of.
The Titans project on TNT died off months ago.

Ah, I thought TNT was still trying to make claims to draw attention. Well, good news for Flash, then. Hell, having the Titans on could be a whole season in and of itself. Even if each of them only gets one episode to introduce them and then they only show up again in the finale, that's both awesome and easy on the writers since it's a simple formula to fall back on.

BTW, who's watching Legends of Tomorrow? Is it good?

SapphireStar

Constantine ended after one season, roughly a year or two ago. They tried to find another network to continue it, but no one wanted to take it. It wasn't until this season of Arrow that they brought him in. Even though the Titans project is a no go on TNT doesn't mean the CW can't use the characters. Which in a way is better, they can introduce those characters on The Flash or Arrow, gauge fan reactions and then create a Titans show either on the CW or one of the other affliates.

They could do a two hour movie like episode where it brings in all the established characters for a big event which brings in the Titans. Smallville did this with the episodes introducing the former JSA members and Checkmate. It was the new team meeting the old guard.

Wolverine 3 is about to start filming and they've come out and stated that it will be rated R. So, hopefully, Fox is learning what works when it comes to their superhero movies and making neccessary changes. Hopefully, this installment will be better then the last two.

mia h

Quote from: Mathim on February 25, 2016, 05:58:37 PM
BTW, who's watching Legends of Tomorrow? Is it good?
It's not without it's flaws (Hawkman & Hawkgirl) but overall it's a pretty fun show. Dominic Purcell & Wentworth Miller are obviously having a blast filming it, Caity Lotz has great chemistry with Purcell & Miller, Victor Garber is great because he's Victor Garber and Brandon Routh's is does charming boundless optimism better than anyone else.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on February 25, 2016, 11:24:29 PM
Constantine ended after one season, roughly a year or two ago. They tried to find another network to continue it, but no one wanted to take it. It wasn't until this season of Arrow that they brought him in. Even though the Titans project is a no go on TNT doesn't mean the CW can't use the characters. Which in a way is better, they can introduce those characters on The Flash or Arrow, gauge fan reactions and then create a Titans show either on the CW or one of the other affliates.

They could do a two hour movie like episode where it brings in all the established characters for a big event which brings in the Titans. Smallville did this with the episodes introducing the former JSA members and Checkmate. It was the new team meeting the old guard.

Wolverine 3 is about to start filming and they've come out and stated that it will be rated R. So, hopefully, Fox is learning what works when it comes to their superhero movies and making neccessary changes. Hopefully, this installment will be better then the last two.

Well it's probably still the same old Wolverine (personality-wise, and ethics-wise from the last several movies), except now it'll be less censored. It was just so ludicrous when he was in Japan slashing fools left and right and not a single stream of blood went flying. I don't even care if there's a Deadpool cameo to mock him or say "It's about damn time!", just do it right with what you've got. I'm hoping it'll be something like Alpha Flight, which would make perfect sense since obviously in this altered timeline (according to Deadpool's continuity, at least) there are people seeking to take advantage of mutants for both commercial and military applications. Surely Canada would not be blamed for forming a taskforce of mutants under government supervision (or perhaps only under the pretense that they are) whereas other countries, even the U.S., don't appear to have gone that route. They really need to focus on telling a story about mutants and not just on Wolverine, it doesn't work well otherwise. So him being part of a diverse team will really be effective, in the hands of the right writers and director. The really big question is, will that threequel be where the Savage Land is introduced, or will that wait for the next ensemble X-Men film? Or are they really going for a hard reboot once Apocalypse is over and everything will start all over? There's so much time-travel junk going on in the films, you'd think they could just B.S. their way through and not lose the overarching continuity they've more or less maintained up til now.

SapphireStar

It looks like Gambit will not be released this year. Fox is pushing the release date to sometime next year. Could this mean there is trouble with production? They had trouble finding the right director that Channing Tatum approved of. I've got a bad feeling about the movie.

According to some "articles", it is reported that Ben Affleck rewrote parts of the Batman v Superman script while in the batsuit. Okay. Then why do the studios bother hiring screenwriters to write the script?

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on February 28, 2016, 10:59:17 PM
It looks like Gambit will not be released this year. Fox is pushing the release date to sometime next year. Could this mean there is trouble with production? They had trouble finding the right director that Channing Tatum approved of. I've got a bad feeling about the movie.

According to some "articles", it is reported that Ben Affleck rewrote parts of the Batman v Superman script while in the batsuit. Okay. Then why do the studios bother hiring screenwriters to write the script?

LOL. Well, didn't they have trouble even finding a director to stick with Gambit? And I guess they just need screenwriters to make a basic framework of a story, but if the studios approve changes made by the actors/directors/whoever, is that just them kissing ass to make the production crew happy or do they genuinely like the changes better? But it's not necessarily a bad thing. Didn't Edward Norton do some script doctoring on The Incredible Hulk? I don't know what he changed but I liked the movie well enough, so unless it was way, way better the way it was, I'm happy with it. I would say it makes sense to have the director also write it but then you get those Edgar Wright situations where they aren't always willing to play ball to make certain changes. But having the one who penned the script also being behind the camera, it's such a perfect concept. Except when they royally screw the pooch like Shane Black.

SapphireStar

The Gambit movie has been having problems all around. They've pushed the release date back another year.

The one thing about Joss Whedon directing the Avengers was he was good at directing an ensemble cast, and he had hands on experience working with actual source material. He wrote for a while on the X-men title. It should be a prequiste to at least read some of the comics to get a basic knowledge of who the characters are. Iron Man 3 wasn't bad. Though they could have done without the kid sidekick.

Another rumor has dropped for Deadpool 2, since Cable is making appearance, looks like Domino will to. A website made a wishlist of who should play Cable. Out of the few, Karl Urban is my top pick. He can handle action and can pull off the character. Who could play Domino? Katrina Law (Nyssa on Arrow). Kate Beckinsale?

CaptainNexus616

Sorry never seen a role with Kate Beckinsale that was actually good. I would say more of Morena Baccin for Domnio but for obvious reasons that's not possible.

Maybe they should take a page out of the MCU's book and find some lesser than known talent out there that has plenty of potential.

So also the word is Bryan Singer is working on a R-rated Red Sonja Series.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on March 02, 2016, 10:27:07 PM
The Gambit movie has been having problems all around. They've pushed the release date back another year.

The one thing about Joss Whedon directing the Avengers was he was good at directing an ensemble cast, and he had hands on experience working with actual source material. He wrote for a while on the X-men title. It should be a prequiste to at least read some of the comics to get a basic knowledge of who the characters are. Iron Man 3 wasn't bad. Though they could have done without the kid sidekick.

Another rumor has dropped for Deadpool 2, since Cable is making appearance, looks like Domino will to. A website made a wishlist of who should play Cable. Out of the few, Karl Urban is my top pick. He can handle action and can pull off the character. Who could play Domino? Katrina Law (Nyssa on Arrow). Kate Beckinsale?

Other movies with kid sidekicks that did horribly: Elektra, and Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance. Also, we never saw the kid in any of the trailers, so what exactly about him was designed to get butts in seats? Someone in marketing needed to get fired for that.

I like Rhona Mitra, haven't seen her in anything big for a while, let her have a go as Domino maybe? And how old is Cable supposed to be? Everyone used to say Steven Lang from Avatar would have been a dead ringer for Cable. I do like Karl Urban, though, and if he channeled some of his Vaako character from Riddick, he could probably do it good even if he might be considered too young. They can makeup-effects him to age him up if they need to.

Singer's working on Red Sonja? Did the Conan remake do well or should this one also be considered carefully before greenlighting?

CaptainNexus616

It's going around the internet a lot since the other day. Despite reportedly having a few together for production I would keep this in Rumors for the moment as these are mainly coming from websites like Bleedingcool and so forth. They tried greenlighting a Sonja movie years ago but it never happened.

More than likely it's another ripple effect following Deadpool's success as an R-rated movie. Plus with shows like Game of Thrones showing plenty of gore and sex  it's possible to pull it off. Singer's name on the tag is a big plus as well.

Lets face it. Woman in nothing but a chain mail bikini going around killing people in medieval times? It will get viewers no matter what.
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

CaptainNexus616

I know this is a sensitive subject for Sapphire but a thought dawned on me.

Has Channing Tatum researched anything into Gambit? At all? Even at least watch the Wolverine origins movie? I haven't heard much in regards other than him wanting to make it Magic Mike's version of Ocean's Eleven in the XCU (X-Men Cinematic Universe) a few months back

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on March 03, 2016, 11:26:42 AM
I know this is a sensitive subject for Sapphire but a thought dawned on me.

Has Channing Tatum researched anything into Gambit? At all? Even at least watch the Wolverine origins movie? I haven't heard much in regards other than him wanting to make it Magic Mike's version of Ocean's Eleven in the XCU (X-Men Cinematic Universe) a few months back

I don't much care if the actors research the character, that's really on the writers and director. Sure, I'll respect the actor more for it, but it's not a requisite as long as they do a good job in the part (which has the lines set by the writers and the tone set by the director...at least I think that's how it works.) But is this really going to be an Ant-Man-esque superhero heist film? I suppose that could work, no other studio has done that before and it fits the Gambit character more than (usually) Ant-Man. Please, please let it feel almost like an ensemble, though, he can't be the only mutant (there have to be at least, say, 5 for it to be interesting enough.)

CaptainNexus616

Personally I want Flash Thompson's Agent Venom to have a movie. For those who are not aware of what happened to Flash after his days of bullying Peter Parker in High School...allow me to direct you to this story. This. This is character development.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXiN5t1zDvg&feature=player_detailpage

SapphireStar

There was a rumored Red Sonja project to be directed by Robert Rodriequz who did Sin City and Desperado. But, the last Conan remake was not well received and didn't do well. Personally, I liked the original Red Sonja despite the campiness.

Not much is being released about the Gambit movie. I highly doubt Tatum did any research other then Gambit was fairly popular with women. When he did G.i.Joe, he stated during an interview how he hated doing it. Dunno, I just have a bad feeling it will not do well. The fact they push the release date to next year suggests the studio doesn't have much faith in it.

Had a thought, there is another actor who would be awesome as Cable. Adam Baldwin  ;D Loved him in Firefly and Chuck.

Mini update: Apparently, it is confirmed that the Flash and Cyborg will appear in Batman v Superman.

Mathim

Apparently actress 'Zendaya' is going to be playing a character named 'Michelle' in the upcoming untitled Spider-Man reboot. Rumor has it she will NOT be a love interest of Peter Parker, so who her character is remains a mystery.

SapphireStar

They seem to be trying to market the new reboot to the younger kids and teen crowd. If the rumor is true, they are hoping to bring in their Disney audience since Disney owns Marvel now.

It looks like Jena Malone's character was dropped from the Batman v Superman. And, they added a non-credited actor. Carla Guiglio (sp?) I think that's her name as the voice of the Fortress of Solitude. How much are they going to try to fit in this movie? It is almost two and a half hours long. So, is Superman going to be bringing Batman and Wonder Woman to the Fortress to devise a way to defeat Doomsday, or will they all be meeting there at the end to proclaim the creation of the "Justice League"?

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on March 08, 2016, 03:21:51 AM
They seem to be trying to market the new reboot to the younger kids and teen crowd. If the rumor is true, they are hoping to bring in their Disney audience since Disney owns Marvel now.

It looks like Jena Malone's character was dropped from the Batman v Superman. And, they added a non-credited actor. Carla Guiglio (sp?) I think that's her name as the voice of the Fortress of Solitude. How much are they going to try to fit in this movie? It is almost two and a half hours long. So, is Superman going to be bringing Batman and Wonder Woman to the Fortress to devise a way to defeat Doomsday, or will they all be meeting there at the end to proclaim the creation of the "Justice League"?

They're copying Marvel (badly) but not learning from Marvel's mistakes. Age of Ultron should have been split up into two movies, why not do that with Batman v. Superman? If you have a big enough story to tell, and this is your first major outing into the shared universe, isn't it kind of a shit plan to cram it all into one limited time frame? Potentially alienating or polarizing audiences at the start is unwise as it affects the future of the franchise altogether. How else did every phase 2 film  after Iron Man 3 manage to earn roughly only half of its box office? Look at the mixed responses to it. We want buildup with payoff, not a clumsily assembled mishmash of cameos and easter eggs. Sure, we want the mishmash and easter eggs, but not shoved down our throats.