Strange things happening....

Started by Mithlomwen, September 09, 2013, 07:31:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mithlomwen

So I'm not sure where or how I picked whatever this thing is that's taken over my computer. 

I have this annoying add thing, that when I click on sites like Ebay, or Amazon....virtually any site that sells products of some sort, I get these annoying little pop up adds that I can't make go away.  I have ad block on my computer but it doesn't seem to stop those. 

Also, when I view web pages (even here on E) random words or phrases will be highlighted green, and if I hover my mouse over the word I get links for job searches and things of that sort.  o_O 

Any idea how to get rid of these things? 
Baby, it's all I know,
that your half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole...

Ebb

In my experience that usually means that you managed to inadvertently install an extension to your browser. Most of these can be easily disabled, but it's a slightly different procedure depending on your browser. In Chrome, for instance, you go to Tools>Extensions. Then find the ones listed that you didn't intentionally install and remove them.

Mithlomwen

Aha!  *happydance*  I found what it was.  ;D

Thank you so much! 
Baby, it's all I know,
that your half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole...

Oniya

Some of the little buggers stealth-install, but I've made it a point to read every check-box when installing updates to things like Flash, Java, drivers, etc.  I've caught a few trying to sneak the Ask toolbar or various other undesired tidbits in as 'extras'.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17