Dragon Age: The Darkspawn Chronicles [SLGBTQIA friendly]

Started by LSWSjr, June 20, 2015, 01:51:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LSWSjr

To celebrate the Dragon Age RPG Complete Edition finally going to print and my own life getting back to normal, I'm starting a new game with my local group and was thinking to mirror it here on Elliquiy.

The campaign takes its main plot decisions from The Darkspawn Chronicles DLC for the original Dragon Age: Origins, but with the players taking the role of other survivors of Ostagar who may help Alistair to keep the Fifth Blight from consuming Ferelden and perhaps completely nullifying the ending shown in that DLC.

Players all start as first level characters with backgrounds fitting for their participation at Ostagar, though with some work even a Qunari PC could be possible, and if all the players agree you may even be a group of inexperienced Grey Wardens of similar rank to Alistair.

Whilst initially this campaign will see you separated from the events of Dragon Age: Origins, you may still get a chance to participate in some classic moments over the course of the story.

As Dragon Age is a dark fantasy setting, there will be a lot of dark themes and content, but players will not be forced to participate in anything they are uncomfortable with.

So do I have any takers?

Cheers
Rowan/LSWSjr
"The true price of my immortality, has been outliving my children" - Kassey LeHane

http://lswsjr.deviantart.com/gallery/?catpath=/ - the Home of my SFW art commissions
http://www.hentai-foundry.com/pictures/user/LSWSjr - the Home of my NSFW art commissions

Blythe

Potentially quite interested; I love Dragon Age and have been dying for a chance to play the tabletop.

If you might permit a Qunari concept, I'd be quite interested in that--perhaps a Qunari (rank negotiable) who was seeking audience with Cailen to discuss the Llomerryn Accords (or whatever would be most suitable for a background; I would be willing to work with you + other players to ensure it's harmonious with the group), but otherwise, I'm thinking of an elven Circle Mage who would have been at Ostagar with the permission of the Chantry for the battle against the darkspawn, someone with a good head on their shoulders--a healer/support type.

Would character creation use the dice rolling method or point-buy method?

eternaldarkness

I'm interested, and I have the Dragon Age RPG. I'd probably go straight-up human warrior of some kind.

LSWSjr

Thanks for the interest, I'll address the rest the second I'm free, but for now I'll answer the things most likely to be asked again...

Character Creation:
1. All 8 Abilities will start at -2 and you will have 26 points to increase them.  There is a soft-cap for raising Abilities of 3, but you may raise an Ability to 4 for every other Ability that remains at -2.
2. Any of the Backgrounds are legal, provided you can present a reasonable explanation as to why they're at Ostagar for the first battle of the Fifth Blight... which will be harder for Qunari, Tevinter and Orlesian characters.
3. Health, Mana, Starting Gold and any similar d6 gains will always default to 4, no roll is required.
4. Characters will begin at level 1 with the standard starting equipment.

Cheers
Rowan/LSWSjr
"The true price of my immortality, has been outliving my children" - Kassey LeHane

http://lswsjr.deviantart.com/gallery/?catpath=/ - the Home of my SFW art commissions
http://www.hentai-foundry.com/pictures/user/LSWSjr - the Home of my NSFW art commissions

Crasey

Oh, boy...

Do you plan on an erotic side to the plot itself, or more of an "if it happens" approach?

LSWSjr

Sex is a common occurance in Dragon Age, more so than any other mainstream game series other than The Witcher and this campaign will be no different: prostitution, extra-marital partners, noble hunters, sexual favours, concubines, loving relationships or just to relieve tension.  All of it can take place in this campaign.

If players want to pursue something in particular, such as finding the ideal spouse, I'm happy to incorporate that into the story's progression.

Cheers
Rowan/LSWSjr

ererruz

Voicing my interest. I have never played the DA system though, only read the rules. I'm not sure how rules-savvy players you want?

If Blythe does play a Qunari, I'll happily take over the party mage/healer role ;-)

LSWSjr

Previous experience isn't necessary ererruz, the system is fairly easy to run and learn.

@Blythe
It'll be fine to run with that Qunari concept.

Do anyone have a preference for you all starting as Grey Wardens?

Cheers
Rowan/LSWSjr

ererruz

Quote from: LSWSjr on June 20, 2015, 06:53:45 AM
Previous experience isn't necessary ererruz, the system is fairly easy to run and learn.

@Blythe

Do anyone have a preference for you all starting as Grey Wardens?

Cheers
Rowan/LSWSjr

I'm fine with either, to be honest. If we were to start as Grey Wardens, would we basically take over the cRPG protagonist's role by being new recruits -- or some other survivors of the battle? (however unlikely that is considering they were all riding in the vanguard with King Cailan)

eternaldarkness

I'm good with being wardens or not. Either one works for me.

Pixy

I too am interested though my only Dragon Age experience is the three video games (which I adored). I'm not familiar with the game system but if you new another player I'd love to join. I'd consider a human Mage or an elven rogue.

Lockepick

Voicing my interest here. I'm not really quite sure what I'll play yet, only because it seems like a lot of people are considering multiple ideas. I could easily go for a healer, a mage, or a rogue given the setting.

As for Grey Wardens or not -- doesn't the book suggest that Grey Wardens are really more like Level 6+ characters? As level 1... we're pretty much just villagers who picked up slightly sharper weapons than pitchforks, aren't we?
Like what you see? I am currently looking for new plots!

Detailed List of O/Os and Plot Seeds

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

ererruz

Quote from: lockepick on June 20, 2015, 12:03:55 PM
Voicing my interest here. I'm not really quite sure what I'll play yet, only because it seems like a lot of people are considering multiple ideas. I could easily go for a healer, a mage, or a rogue given the setting.

As for Grey Wardens or not -- doesn't the book suggest that Grey Wardens are really more like Level 6+ characters? As level 1... we're pretty much just villagers who picked up slightly sharper weapons than pitchforks, aren't we?

I'm going for an elf-blooded Circle Mage (who I'd like to specialize as an arcane warrior and/or blood mage later on in the game). Not sure about spells yet -- but I think he'll be a crowd controller with some elements of other magic schools as well.

As for the level... if we are going to be the Grey Wardens, I'd prefer to start at a higher level as well -- if only because killing darkspawn is a tough business ;-)

Blythe

Quote from: LSWSjr on June 20, 2015, 06:53:45 AM
@Blythe

Awesome! I'm working on a Qunari sheet now--about 1/2 done with it! I should hopefully have it up today. :)

Also agreed on Wardens--I'm not opposed to the Warden route (A Qunari warden, neat!), but it does seem like it would necessitate a higher starting level.

eternaldarkness

I'll get to work on a warrior myself. I may go dwarf just because noone else has.

LSWSjr

From a game mechanics perspective, The Warden of Dragon Age: Origins could undergo the Joining at around levels 4-5, even though less than a week ago they were only level 1 and by the end of the Ostagar battle (maybe a day later) The Warden could be as high as level 7.  This shouldn't be the 'growth' expectation for this campaign however.

From a story perspective, anyone who shows 'potential' could be conscripted/recruited into the Grey Wardens.

If we did go with a Grey Warden party, you will all get a boost to level 3.  Also your survival of Ostagar, Grey Wardens or not, was from being sent to flank the horde, having left to do so at the same time The Warden was collecting the treaties and Darkspawn blood.

To answer ererruz's question: we are using The Darkspawn Chronicles DLC as the basis of the narrative, in which The Warden died at Ostagar, leaving all the decisions up to Alistair alone.

Cheers
Rowan/LSWSjr

Blythe

Sent in a rough draft of a character sheet! If we go the Warden route, I'll probably need to do some editing on it.  :-X

Edit: GM is looking it over--got permission to post it here in the interim!  ;D

Meet Ashaad!

Rank/"Name": Ashaad
Personality: Ashaad is a patient sort of person. Unlike many more stern or stoic members of the Beresaad, Ashaad is aware that bas absolutely love and adore talking, even when stating very obvious or strange things. As such, he's practically sociable for one of the horned giants of the Qun. He's also the type that, despite his skill with a bow and his deftness, would rather avoid conflict when possible, as his job as a member of the Beresaad is to bring answers to the Arishok, not seek out conflict. However, he still has that baffling stubborn behavior peculiar to many Qunari about discussing the Qun--more enigmatic than helpful. Ultimately, he's a shrewd individual that works well with others, though.

History: Ashaad has characterized himself as patient from even his youth. He showed an aptitude for ranged weaponry, particularly the longbow, and he had a deft tongue as well as hands, which earned him a spot in Beresaad of the Antaam after evaluation. He does show an aptitude for leadership, but he's not quite ready to take on leadership roles. He's being tested for aptitude for such by intelligence missions and interacting with non-Qunari, which he did well with in his early years when he moved from Par Vollen to Rivain.

So why is Ashaad at Ostagar? The Arishok sends forth members of the Beresaad on intelligence missions...and the Arishok has many questions regarding Ferelden, its leadership, and how its military works. The army at Ostagar drew quiet and subtle attention from the followers of the Qun. After all, there had been talk at Ostagar of asking the Orlesians for help--word of the horde at Ostagar spread wide over many parts of Thedas as well, so this is the perfect time for enterprising members of the Beresaad to see Ferelden's best in action. And nothing says Ashaad can't contribute and help against the Blight as he does that.

There's a lot more to him, but he plays his history rather close to the chest.
Character Sheet, Level 1

Class:Rogue     Languages:Qunlat, Trade Tongue     
Background:Qunari Beresaad     Weapon Groups:Bows, Brawling, L. Weapons, Staves

*Communication:2 (Leadership)**       Magic:-2       
Constitution:1 (Stamina)**       *Perception:3       
Cunning:2 (Qun)     Strength:1       
*Dexterity:3       Willpower:1       
* Primary Ability
** Focus was rolled as Qunari Beresaad background benefit.

Weapon: Long bow       Attack Roll:Dexterity (Bows)       Damage:1d6 + 3 + Perception       
Weapon: QuarterstaffAttack Roll: Dexterity (Staves)Damage: 1d6 + 1 + Strength

Class Powers:[/color Backstab, Rogue's Armor
Equipment: Backpack, Traveler's Garb, Waterskin, Light Leather Armor (AR 3, AP 0), Longbow, Quiver (20 arrows), Quarterstaff, 62 SP

Talents:

(Novice)       (Journeyman)       (Master)       
Scouting              

eternaldarkness

Quote from: LSWSjr on June 20, 2015, 05:19:35 PM
From a game mechanics perspective, The Warden of Dragon Age: Origins could undergo the Joining at around levels 4-5, even though less than a week ago they were only level 1 and by the end of the Ostagar battle (maybe a day later) The Warden could be as high as level 7.  This shouldn't be the 'growth' expectation for this campaign however.

From a story perspective, anyone who shows 'potential' could be conscripted/recruited into the Grey Wardens.

If we did go with a Grey Warden party, you will all get a boost to level 3.  Also your survival of Ostagar, Grey Wardens or not, was from being sent to flank the horde, having left to do so at the same time The Warden was collecting the treaties and Darkspawn blood.

To answer ererruz's question: we are using The Darkspawn Chronicles DLC as the basis of the narrative, in which The Warden died at Ostagar, leaving all the decisions up to Alistair alone.

Cheers
Rowan/LSWSjr

I like all of this. How are we doing chargen? Rolled ability scores or something else?

ererruz

I vote for starting out as Grey Wardens then :-)

What should we do about the random background benefits? Can we use the rule about buying them presented in Set 2?

Lockepick

I'd vote for going Grey Wardens then.

So with the current spread, leaning towards Spirit Mage (with a dash of Creation maybe).

Are we allowed to use any mechanics (spells/foci/abilities) from the Set 2/3 books? Or only Set 1?
Like what you see? I am currently looking for new plots!

Detailed List of O/Os and Plot Seeds

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

LSWSjr

Quote from: eternaldarkness on June 21, 2015, 01:58:34 AM
I like all of this. How are we doing chargen? Rolled ability scores or something else?
Point Buy, abilities start at -2, you have 28 points to buy them up and you can have an ability at 4 for every other ability left at -2 :)
For Health, Mana and Starting Gold treat all d6's as 4, no roll is required.

Quote from: ererruz on June 21, 2015, 03:51:14 AM
What should we do about the random background benefits? Can we use the rule about buying them presented in Set 2?
I'd say roll them, I only have Set 1 and the Complete Edition, so I can't see the section you're referencing :(

The Grey Warden option is becoming popular, so we'll go with that, leading to all characters now starting at level 3 :)

Cheers
Rowan/LSWSjr

Blythe

Hey folks, I gotta withdraw my interest. Sorry for the inconvenience, and I hope you enjoy your game. :)

LSWSjr

That's okay Blythe, still keen to see what the others can come up with and you're welcome to rejoin if the situation changes :)

Cheers
Rowan/LSWSjr

Crasey

I gots approved. Obligatory city elf rogue?

Name: Newyn
Personality: While normally quiet, Newyn is anything but unobtrusive or shy, lacking much in a sense of privacy. When a thing catches her interest or is important to her values, it is almost impossible for her to delay, let alone to ignore. Yet she is not exactly reckless, and as long as her goal is being actively pursued, it can be pursued carefully. In theory.

History: Born to a family of Gwaren's Elven District six years after the Fereldan Rebellion, Newyn knew less of the poverty and prejudice suffered by her kind even in the rest of Ferelden, let alone the wider world. While not wealthy by any means, her family had managed to step above most elven households of the teyrnir. Yet her parents had sired her late in their lives, and in her adolescence their failing health brought the weight of survival down on her shoulders.

For years she would go to ever-greater lengths to try to both heal them and keep their home, from pursuing foolish ideas about "curing the Quickening", to offering herself up for guard duty, to delving into theft and spying. Small even for an elf, one of these pursuits rewarded much better than the others, and she excelled undetected until two years ago, at the hands of a Grey Warden less interested in recompense than recruitment.

Character Sheet, Level 3

Class:Rogue     Languages:Trade Tongue     
Background:City Elf     Weapon Groups:Bows, Brawling, Light Blades, Staves
Benefit:Focus: Cunning (Evaluation)

Communication:1       Magic:-2       
Constitution:2       Perception:3       
Cunning:2 (Evaluation, Research)     Strength:0       
Dexterity:5 (Stealth, Light Blades)       Willpower:1       

Health:40

Weapon: Short sword       Attack Roll:Dexterity (Light Blades)       Damage:1d6 + 2 + Strength       
Weapon:DaggerAttack Roll: Dexterity (Staves)Damage: 1d6 + 1 + Strength

Class Powers: Backstab, Rogue's Armor
Equipment: Backpack, traveler's garb, pouch (belt), waterskin, lock picks, flint and steel, whetstone, spike, rope, torch, light leather armor (AR 3, AP 0), short sword, dagger, 12 SP

Talents:

(Novice)       (Journeyman)       (Master)       
ThieverySingle Weapon Style           

eternaldarkness

Just letting everyone know I'm still interested, I'm just away from my books. I'm looking at an elf-blooded human warrior, probably a noble.