The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies

Started by Mathim, November 18, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mia h

Looks like The CW's marketing department has been messing things up. Despite the showrunners repeatedly saying that last night's episode of Supergirl was never really  going to be a full part of this week's four show crossover event, the ad's kept selling the idea that it would be. So some people are now little upset that the crossover part of Supergirl lasted about 30 seconds, despite it being what the showrunners said it would be.
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

Mathim

Quote from: wander on November 29, 2016, 11:18:39 AM
Cate Blanchett will be playing Hela in Thor:Ragnarok, to confirm something.  :-)

Yup, but just like how Daimon Poitier (I think that's how you spell it?) was the model for Thanos in the Avengers post-credits scene, and now Thanos is officially being played by Josh Brolin, that possible Hela from the cut scene of Thor's vision quest in Age of Ultron was obviously not Cate Blanchett even though the official, actual Hela will be. At least it's not as overtly noticeable as Terrence Howard's Rhodey becoming Don Cheadle's Rhodey. Or Edward Norton's Bruce Banner becoming Mark Ruffalo.

If Mordo took off at the end of Doctor Strange, it leaves a couple of questions. Besides those nifty boots of his, and possibly the Staff of the Living Tribunal he was using before, might have still have both of those and possibly more mystical items on him, since he doesn't intend to return to Kamar-Taj? And I'm curious how he learned to extract magic from others in such a way that they wouldn't seem to be able to get it back the way they got it in the first place.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

SapphireStar

Could be something Mordo learned from the Darkhold book. The book is being used in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and was eventually used by Dr. Strange.

Or, Katie Holmes being replaced by Maggie Gyllenhaal playing in the Chris Nolan Batman series. Michael Keaton replaced by Val Kilmer and George Clooney as Batman.

wander

At least Ruffalo got explained by Banner undergoing facial reconstruction surgery to keep off the grid and out of SHIELD's eyes...

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: wander on November 30, 2016, 05:28:03 AM
At least Ruffalo got explained by Banner undergoing facial reconstruction surgery to keep off the grid and out of SHIELD's eyes...

It did? I'd rather they had just ignored it, 'facial reconstruction surgery' doesn't change your entire body type that drastically.

Mathim

Quote from: wander on November 30, 2016, 05:28:03 AM

I know, but considering they had to do the switch with Rhodey even before they recast Banner, why would they even bother? It's stupid to do that and then ignore the one that happened even sooner. Now you've got a gaping hole in why one Rhodey is very light-skinned and has hair and one is dark skinned and mostly buzz cut. They just made an unnecessary step, and on top of that, why would Bruce Banner trust anyone to put him under anesthesia for any reason while they were performing some kind of extreme cosmetic surgery? Not only that, wouldn't either the anesthesia or the cutting into his flesh trigger a transformation? It just doesn't add up. They could easily just have swept it under the rug and nobody would have batted an eye.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

wander

Glyph, there was a throwaway line in the first Avengers movie when Natasha tracked Banner down.

This is gonna rile a few folks, though it's been said that they never acknowledged Rhodey's change of appearance because Ike Perlmutter (allegedly) figured (and this is racist as fuuuuu...) that all black guys look the same. *smh*

Kinda glad his hands are out of the MCU pie now. But yeah, Mathim I agree... I figured that the change in heartbeat from the anesthesia and/or the pre-operation jitters would cause a Hulk-out too... Eh, it's in the past now, it can be ignored in headcanon.

Mathim

Yeah, I mean, it's perfectly okay to ignore it since it makes no sense and there's already precedent where they've ignored it happening anyway, so whatever.

But I think I remember hearing something about Darkforce supposedly playing a part in Doctor Strange, and yet I don't recall that happening at any point during the movie. Did I miss something or was that just based on a rumor? Could have sworn it was supposed to be legit.

wander

I think that was down to it appearing in Agents of SHIELD. I didn't see anything overtly linked to it at all in the film, except that Dormammu was from the 'Dark Dimension' and I can stand to be corrected, though I felt that was where the Darkforce came from.

Mathim

So I guess whichever people were trying to access Darkforce through scientific means really had no idea what they were dealing with. Only the mystics really have a clue what that's all about. And as we've seen (if we assume that whatever Kaecilius and the Ancient One were doing to channel Dormammu's power was taking Darkforce into their bodies), it's got all sorts of different properties and applications, so it's basically like in the comics where it can do pretty much whatever the writer wants it to be able to do for whatever story they're writing. It is one of those kind of absurd things that can be made to do almost anything. I'm glad they didn't mention it by name or that would have just been awkward, like the whole Banner getting a facelift but Rhodey not getting one.

Mathim

GOTG Volume 2 Officially has a non-teaser Trailer! Funniest one I've ever seen, I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AYQDq9efdk

CaptainNexus616

That trailer leaves the burning question.

I WANT TO SEE WHAT SHE SAYS ABOUT DRAX!!! lol.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

TheGlyphstone

Looks like Baby Groot still has a three-word vocabulary. He's a lot more energetic than his predecessor though.

Mathim

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on December 04, 2016, 09:32:53 PM
Looks like Baby Groot still has a three-word vocabulary. He's a lot more energetic than his predecessor though.

What bothers me is that even though this version of Groot is supposed to be new, and have no memories the previous Groot did (supposedly), Rocket is still somehow able to understand him the way that he did with big Groot. If they no longer share that close rapport, how is it supposed to work still? Or is Rocket just able to understand Groot's language regardless of whether he can interpret how Groot is feeling?

TheGlyphstone

I guess he still speaks the same 'Grootese' that Old Groot did, and Rocket can translate over enough of what he learned? There's only so much you can get for meaning from body language/intuition, there had to have been enough subtle variances in how the phrase 'I am Groot' is said that Rocket was able to extract improbable levels of understanding out of.

mia h

Luke Cage has got a second season order, but as they still have to release Iron Fist, The Defenders, Daredevil (S3), Jessica Jones (S2) it'll be 2019 before it arrives.

Mathim

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on December 05, 2016, 08:03:01 AM
I guess he still speaks the same 'Grootese' that Old Groot did, and Rocket can translate over enough of what he learned? There's only so much you can get for meaning from body language/intuition, there had to have been enough subtle variances in how the phrase 'I am Groot' is said that Rocket was able to extract improbable levels of understanding out of.

I guess. Plus it's pretty funny where one little 'I am Groot' can mean '12% is better than 11%'. Actually, most of the comedy seems very cartoonish, now that I think about it. But I guess because I love the characters so much, I can look past it. I wish Gamora got a little more spotlight, though, she didn't seem to talk much in it. And it's hard to tell what role Mantis will play, though it seems she won't be an actual part of the team, maybe just a plot advancement character like the Collector was in the first movie.

mia h

FX has announced the premiere date for Legion, Wednesday February 8th

Mathim

Just saw a really great youtube video with lots of good info and even a little bit of controversy (If you thought Ike Perlmutter was an asshole before, wait til you hear some of what's talked about), mainly focused on the Inhumans and the potential TV series, but with feelers out for other major current events and speculative projects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBCiVtxyFnM

Mathim

Aaaaaand, Spider-Man Homecoming trailer out WAY sooner than I ever would have expected. Seriously, we barely got the GotG 2 trailer a week or so ago, now this one so soon after? Interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNE0zRNyXuc

Much as I am critical about Marvel's decisions regarding the wall-crawler, even I have to admit, this is a well-put-together trailer. A few cliches I could do without, and at times it felt more like a Disney Channel TV show about a teenage superhero, but at least they're trying hard not to make it too focused on him and including lots of references to the wider MCU. I don't think this version of him would be interesting enough on his own, really. But that Iron Man is actually suiting up to accompany him, like he's holding his hand? That might be a mistake since that's basically the same set of power/weaponry that the Vulture appears to have. But I do love this interpretation of the Vulture's costume, looks really neat. Would have liked to have also seen the Shocker, though. Maybe in the next one.

wander

Really, I think the only thing now that could make me excited for Spiderman is seeing him in the Iron Spider suit or if they did Superior Spiderman or another big Spidey event (Spider Island for example), otherwise I feel I'm kinda at the point I've seen every Spidey film after watching what I have done already...

Legion got a new trailer recently, will be out on February 8th on FX.

Mathim

I, too, would eventually like to see the Iron Spider, but only after the official retirement of Iron Man. In the meantime I'd love to see the black suit, whether it's the actual symbiote or just the one where he shoots webs off the top of his hand rather than from his wrists. But I'd like to see some clone stuff too, so we get an excuse for lots of different versions of him. That way it'll be very likely we'll get the impact webbing which would be awesome to see in film.

wander

Ben Reilly and Kaine would be cool.

I'm not bothered to see Venom, we've had that already, same as the black suit stuff (yeah, I know it was cringe and done pretty shakily, though it has been done). Carnage on the other hand, or Anti-Venom would be nice to see.

Mathim

Yeah, but I hear people in general dislike the clone saga. I never read it but from what I have seen of the description it sounds cool. Surely they can only improve upon it by making it in movie form if they ever go that route.

I do feel like it would be cool if during Infinity War, they go to space and he gets the symbiote at some point, where it just falls onto him as slime and he's like, "Agh, get it off me!" and then after it engulfs him and he's all black-suit, he's changed his mind and just goes, "...Whoa...", since it's not just physical augmentation but also like having another presence in his mind. That would be neat. Plus it would be more likely then that he could stand up to Thanos alongside the likes of Thor, Hulk, Doctor Strange, Vision, Captain Marvel and Scarlet Witch. Actually, that makes exactly 6, like the original Avengers roster. These could be some of the New Avengers, MCU-style, especially if they do go with an alternate, possibly female, Thor, and make someone into a different version of Hulk, like Amadeus Cho. We never heard anything else about him or his possible mother Helen Cho from Age of Ultron, so who knows what might happen later on.

wander

The Clone Saga started as an awesome storyline, though because it was selling, it got extended... and extended... and another plot twist... and extended again... and another plot twist... So it became a bit of a train wreck, to put it mildly. There are more than a few videos on youtube that can say more, though I think the Nerdsync one here is one of the better ones if you have time;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUJRJNRqfh4

Eh, that way of doing the symbiote seems a bit shakey. I'd prefer the reason he had in the original Secret Wars, that his original costume is wrecked, he comes across it by accident and it supes him up the new black suit before he realises what's up. The shift in personality/reactions should be more gradual, make it seem more encroaching and nebulous that way.

Jane Foster won't be returning and if she does she'll be played by someone else, Natalie Portman is out of the MCU now. Also back before the MCU got big, Amadeus Cho was (kinda) in the Norton Hulk film;

QuoteIn the novelization of The Incredible Hulk by Peter David, Banner bribes Amadeus Cho with pizza to enter a lab. A similar scene in the film has actor Martin Starr in a non-speaking role accepting the pizza. He is credited as "Computer Nerd" in the credits.

I'd prefer Cho to be introduced as the Rick Jones character and do something with him being the genius kid more than what the comics are doing with him presently. He must have the army jacket, scooter and coyote pup... I just can't accept him otherwise. ^^; Although, Cho I think more of the Rick Jones to Hercules... I guess the only reason we didn't get a harder push of Hercules to replace Banner (because the MCU would have full rights to Hercules and not share with Universal) is because the Hercules books have never really sold well.