News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Dark Souls II - share your experiences, stories and builds!

Started by Hemingway, March 26, 2014, 12:14:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drake Valentine

Unless you wear that ring that makes you keep human form when hollow.

Though I rather keep the keysword. Go Sora on some enemies. xD

Also you have chance of going human aiding others as shade. I dont think you need to be successful, pretty sure I died as Shade and was human again.

By way Slumbering Dragon Ring is pretty legit. You can stealth kill enemies where as they may turn if you try to run behind em.

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

Inkidu

Well the game won't let me burn my human effigies that is what you have to do with them right? I mean the game is not very clear on that at all. I thought hollowing was supposed to be gradual in this one, so I'm disappointed now. It's basically pointless because I have no idea what changes between the two forms, other than the obviously stellar logic of making the game harder on those who die more by cutting their HP.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Shjade

The Ring of the Dead lets you appear human while hollowed, but I don't think it actually makes you human for the few areas of the game where the distinction matters (one guy will only give you jobs to do while you're hollow, has different dialogue while you're human, etc.). I'll have to test that sometime.

No, Inkidu. The game's not clear about that at all, unfortunately. You use effigies as a regular item (like you would an estus flask or a lifegem) to restore your human form (bringing your health back to 100% of max), though it won't actually heal you, it just brings your max capacity back to full. You burn an effigy in the bonfire to temporarily disable multiplayer - both invasions and co-op.

Regarding regaining humanity after helping in co-op, that was a bug. Patch 1.03 notes: "Players now receive a small portion of Humanity after successfully assisting in a Multiplayer session instead of regaining full Humanity."

Eh...silent running is nice and all, but I could probably count on one hand the number of enemies worth sneaking up on that you can't sneak up to/around by just walking slowly anyway.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Drake Valentine

I doubt it will work, the ring that makes you look like human when talking to NPCs.. Pretty sure you have to be human at the time. >_<

And what!? They patch the regaining humanity completely thing? Well, that is a bit disappointment. I like how there was a chance of going full human, now there is no telling how many runs it may take for you to go back human if you have to successfully keep aiding others. ;\ I don't even see my life meter budge at all since I expect being more 'human' means it overrides hollowed life lost.

Hmm, well it is also a nice gimmick when PvPing as well. I used the camouflage item to blend in and then stealth kill a few invaders. Also, is there a way to buy that other item? I think there is some item that turns the enemies against the invader and makes them attack him/her? I know it was a selectable in the creation, but not sure how many uses it had(assuming one.) Therefore wondering if anything drops it or if it can  be purchased from an NPC.

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)

Inkidu

I'm sure someone's going to come and invalidate it soon enough, but I got to the the last giant boss and beat him in one try. I don't know if I should use the soul or not. Who knows with this game, and I really don't want to walk all the way down there again just to kill the boss. Unlocked some soldier doors, but I think I'm done with the Forest of the Fallen Giant for now, but that means the only place I can get to is the Tower of Flame. :\

Still not really enjoying the game, but that might be my anger and resentment about its purchase still.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Chris Brady

I want to like this game.  I spent 150 bucks on the damn thing...  And it bores me.  It's not that I constantly die.  In fact, the last few times, I haven't.  It's just so repetitive, and simple, and not very challenging that it's simply not keeping my attention.  I really want to love this game.

The Dual Wielding is actually a little better.  Two handing is fun, even.  The backstab mechanic is actually a little easier (As in you can stay locked on an enemy and be able to pull it off, as opposed to DS where it was tricky, and you couldn't focus lock on your target to pull it off.)  But...  So dull.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Inkidu

I think my problem is that I end up going to hard to reach places and finding nothing. That's actually not something you're supposed to do. You're supposed to reward players for exploring. It doesn't have to be a valuable reward, but when you spend ten minutes finding a path to hard-to-reach area you better find something interesting to look at. Dark Souls and DS II have a lot of uselessness in that regard.

Also, is there anything I can do with all the useless shit I pick up. Twenty hollow helms later and I want to cash it in for something, another mark as far as I'm concerned. I don't think it'd make the game easier if you were able to just get rid of stuff you're not going to use.

EDIT: Oh fuck it, I just don't think it's going to happen. When you get stuck on a crate and get ganked by the Pursuer repeatedly it just loses all its fun. Normally such things get blown off but when it happens a game that's "hard" it's just unforgivable. I've got hung up on the scenery several times at crucial points.

EDIT: Actually, I know exactly why I find these games so bad. It's not because they're hard, they're not all that challenging, the difficulty is quite fake. Why they suck so much is because they're basically all about the metagame. There is not Dark Soul II game there is only the metagame to be played. That sucks.

Also what does losing ten percent of your health each time you die accomplish? What is there anything in this game that makes any modicum of sense?

Drake Valentine

It is their way of punishing you for dying. Not to forget the souls you drop and then if you die again those souls you last drop are gone for good. I lost track of the times I lost 30k or more souls, but now they are just numbers.

There are also a lot of useless items in hard to reach places. Such as there was this one area that was like a pillar and you could jump to it at a higher angle. You had to hit the top portion just right to get the blue item. I lost track of dying attempting it, maybe 10 times minimum. Only to find out that the item was a Human Effigy. ;| I don't even care what items are in that lava area, probably more useless human effigies or something of that extent.

Dark Souls games have always been hard, you have to expect to die... A lot. Bosses can be solo, but you need upgraded gear to do so. Actually Bosses have less health, every summon ally gives them a certain amount of more health to increase the difficultly. It is also a good tactic to put down white summon signs and be summoned to help someone else with a Boss, that way you can see the tactics used while getting humanity back in the process along with a nice chunk of souls if successful. I will warn you, watch out for allies with Pursuer boss, they will fucking ballistic shoot you if not careful. I had this happen to me several times and was WTF. (He dies a lot faster from the ballistias, but you have to be mindful of who is in front or if you are in front cause they will kill you in one hit. Unless you have A LOT of HP, but still doubt that will save you that early in game.)

Edit: I am not sure if the NPC summons increase Boss health. I know player ones do, but I have never summoned one of those NPC allies you find along the way. I don't believe bosses hit harder, or any enemies for that matter from summons, they just have more life. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong on that regard, but they seem to be hitting for same amount of damage.

Inkidu

Quote from: Drake Valentine on April 13, 2014, 02:31:21 PM
It is their way of punishing you for dying. Not to forget the souls you drop and then if you die again those souls you last drop are gone for good. I lost track of the times I lost 30k or more souls, but now they are just numbers.

There are also a lot of useless items in hard to reach places. Such as there was this one area that was like a pillar and you could jump to it at a higher angle. You had to hit the top portion just right to get the blue item. I lost track of dying attempting it, maybe 10 times minimum. Only to find out that the item was a Human Effigy. ;| I don't even care what items are in that lava area, probably more useless human effigies or something of that extent.

Dark Souls games have always been hard, you have to expect to die... A lot. Bosses can be solo, but you need upgraded gear to do so. Actually Bosses have less health, every summon ally gives them a certain amount of more health to increase the difficultly. It is also a good tactic to put down white summon signs and be summoned to help someone else with a Boss, that way you can see the tactics used while getting humanity back in the process along with a nice chunk of souls if successful. I will warn you, watch out for allies with Pursuer boss, they will fucking ballistic shoot you if not careful. I had this happen to me several times and was WTF. (He dies a lot faster from the ballistias, but you have to be mindful of who is in front or if you are in front cause they will kill you in one hit. Unless you have A LOT of HP, but still doubt that will save you that early in game.)
I don't care that I die or how often. It's just a lot of them are me getting hung up on scenery.

Thanks for answering my question though:

"We have this game where people expect to die a lot, what should we do when they die a lot?"
"MAKE THE GAME HARDER FOR THEM!"

That's a very sadistic person that makes that choice. Yeah, I totally should forget my collected souls! No I won't go after them over and over again getting caught in a death spiral trying to get my souls back from the Pursuer boss room! You can't freaking leave! You can only die making it harder and harder to  get your shit back.

I can't even play online anyway.

Shjade

Quote from: Inkidu on April 13, 2014, 10:40:27 AM
Also, is there anything I can do with all the useless shit I pick up. Twenty hollow helms later and I want to cash it in for something, another mark as far as I'm concerned. I don't think it'd make the game easier if you were able to just get rid of stuff you're not going to use.

EDIT: Oh fuck it, I just don't think it's going to happen. When you get stuck on a crate and get ganked by the Pursuer repeatedly it just loses all its fun. Normally such things get blown off but when it happens a game that's "hard" it's just unforgivable. I've got hung up on the scenery several times at crucial points.

EDIT: Actually, I know exactly why I find these games so bad. It's not because they're hard, they're not all that challenging, the difficulty is quite fake. Why they suck so much is because they're basically all about the metagame. There is not Dark Soul II game there is only the metagame to be played. That sucks.

Also what does losing ten percent of your health each time you die accomplish? What is there anything in this game that makes any modicum of sense?
You can sell items to the merchant Gavlaan when you find him. He's not far beyond Heide's, though after you talk to him there he'll move to a different location that's somewhat harder to reach, and from that second location after you talk to him there to his third, permanent home.

I have to admit, your statement regarding the Pursuer makes no sense to me. The Pursuer only appears in a few specific locations and in most of those (all of the ones where he doesn't have his own boss fog door, basically), the fights are 100% optional and can be walked away from; he can't chase you. He most certainly can't gank you. I'd thought you were talking about an invading phantom at first, but if you mean the Pursuer...yeah, I don't understand what you're saying.

In terms of scenery, though, I'd suggest planning a route that doesn't involve boxing yourself in when you're in the middle of a boss fight. The smaller crates and barrels can usually be destroyed by attacking them or just rolling/jumping through them.

I have to disagree with you about the difficulty. Some of it is fake, sure, particularly if you join the Covenant of Champions (which inflates all enemy stats) and into NG+ territory, but on NG, it's really not most of the time. I haven't seen you describe any difficulties you're having with the game that are fake difficulty so far. That's a link to the TVTropes page on the subject, which notes the following: "It is important to note that just because a gameplay feature is annoying and frustrating does not make it fake difficulty. For example, placing a large number of invincible minor minions between the player and the Plot Coupon is extremely annoying, but they can be avoided by skilled movement - thus, the difficulty is real." The game does have some fake difficulty elements in it - the checkpoint system of bonfires, for instance, which rarely place you right outside a boss door when that's what you'd like to repeat instead of having to slog through all the enemies on the way to the boss again; and I'd definitely say the controls for jumping are absolute shit and make any kind of platforming much more painful than it should be - but for boss fights, not so much, most of the time. The first time I ran into the Pursuer in his boss room I hadn't read anything about him, didn't know any pro strats, didn't know "the meta" as you put it, and still killed him without a problem - he's a very basic sword & board boss. I later learned that there's a trick to basically one-shot him every time, consistently, once you know the positioning and timing to pull it off, but that's just a trick to make the fight a breeze, not something you need to beat him.

Getting killed because you got stuck on scenery is frustrating as hell when it happens...but if you're getting hung up on scenery repeatedly, that's probably not a problem with the game.

Losing health for dying is what the old women explain to you at the beginning of the game: you becoming hollow. Losing your humanity. Turning into what is killing you. It's annoying, and it'd be nice if there were some area you could farm human effigies as easily as you could farm humanities in Dark Souls, but there is at least a ring you can get very early in the game (in Heide's, on the left path, right before that boss's gate) that caps your max hp loss to 25%, so you'd have a minimum of 75% of your max health wearing that ring (without it you can drop as low as 50%, though you don't lose 10% with each death as you suggested - I think it's 5%). After you have that, well...it's a matter of learning what you're doing wrong and improving on that problem.
◕/◕'s

Inkidu

He was through a fog door.

I don't like that there appears to be no advantage remaining human over hollow or vice versa (at least in DS I you got better drops as a human, here I'm just getting hollow gear and the usual life gems) other than running at max Hp.

I get hung up on the breakable objects all the time, especially the ones that are about knee high. Usually you can roll off them, but that still wastes stamina and a possible counterattack, though when you don't you get hurt, obviously.

That's all I'm going to comment on. I don't care to argue it.

EDIT: I did beat the Pursuer, got some nice armor, the mail is too heavy for my tastes, I like being able to move. Ended up losing his souls though because the game decided to put about seven ironclads in one area. I still think the game needs more direction. I don't believe in this not telling you what to do is hard. It's just stupid. All it causes people to do is pinball around. That's not challenge that's padding. Plus when you're just meandering around an area you've already cleared in hopes of finding some clue as to how to proceed that's called boring.

The item descriptions are just obtuse. They're written by dicks. Like I found the guy who gives you the house key and after talking to a guy five times (which was as boring as it sounds) I go to the bottom, kill one skeleton find a souls jar and some other things. The description for the soul jar is "Show it to that certain person..."

People think that's fun? You know what could be more hardcore? When you die you don't just lose your souls, how about throwing your accumulated levels and items into as well. If you're a real gamer you should be able to handle that hardcoredness right?

Chris Brady

Quote from: Drake Valentine on April 13, 2014, 02:31:21 PM
It is their way of punishing you for dying. Not to forget the souls you drop and then if you die again those souls you last drop are gone for good
But why is it necessary.  Death is the learning tool.  Especially against bosses.  You need to die at least once to figure out what the patterns are for the boss.  So why punish you even further, after having to grind your way back to where you died?  I don't think it would be so bad if it weren't for the fact that the Effigies are limited (I think there are 30 or so, total?) but...

And again, I want to love this game, I love the art style, the animations are pretty cool too.  The scenery is pretty awesome for PS3 hardware.  But the game play...  Ugh.  I WANT TO LOVE THIS GAME! By rights, I should...  :'(

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Drake Valentine

Because the developers are twisted individuals with similar sadistic thinking that I share. xD All games have their learning curve and a lot of games kind of shrug off death as if it was nothing. Dark Souls series just takes away the whole 'slapping on the wrist' thing.

The game is much easier online, but I know some people don't like to play online because they don't wish to be invaded by PKers. You can also be invaded as a hollow, but do note that invaders cannot use Etnus Flasks or when I was doing the BoB run for awhile I could not use a flask as a red invader. Not sure if they patched that or not and I dunno if the blue invaders can use them or not.... Also, I believe that invasions are scaled to your soul count or that was how I read it last. Soul count as in total souls you got or lost through the game so far, which if this is true then you don't have to worry about Red PKs as they have to advance pretty far to get to that point in the game... Unless they speed run or something, but the chances of running into Red Spirits is really low. I stopped at level 200 on my first playthrough and believe I may of only been invaded five times tops by player PKs when putting around 50 hours in the game as a hole. You will still encounter NPC red spirit invaders as well, which shouldn't be confused for players.

Effigies? There are some enemies that drop them later in the game, so I know I had had over 30 at one point in time. Though I am also sure they are a 'rare' drop even with the items to increase item drop. Now I am back down to under ten of them. ;\

Though there is one thing you need to also keep in mind, enemies have a respawn limit. I am not sure if dying cuts their spawning down, I read somewhere that it did, but I don't think that was accurate. I do know if you keep repeatedly killing common enemies they will stop spawning. I am sure it is around ten to fifteen times of the same enemy, so in theory you can farm them out of existence in an area if you wanted to.

Chris Brady

I'm gonna back out of this, because I'm harshing on a game that you guys are enjoying.  And I don't like to be the party pooper.  So, enjoy, seriously, enjoy.

Shjade

Quote from: Inkidu on April 13, 2014, 05:58:25 PM
I don't like that there appears to be no advantage remaining human over hollow or vice versa (at least in DS I you got better drops as a human, here I'm just getting hollow gear and the usual life gems) other than running at max Hp.

Ended up losing his souls though because the game decided to put about seven ironclads in one area.

I still think the game needs more direction. I don't believe in this not telling you what to do is hard.

The item descriptions are just obtuse. They're written by dicks. Like I found the guy who gives you the house key and after talking to a guy five times (which was as boring as it sounds) I go to the bottom, kill one skeleton find a souls jar and some other things. The description for the soul jar is "Show it to that certain person..."
Yeah, I'm not really a fan of the human/hollowed iteration in DS2 vs DS1 either. On the other hand, in DS1 there wasn't really any benefit to being human either, other than multiplayer (which is the same in DS2: can't summon people if you're hollow). You got the loot drop bonus from having stored humanity, the counter next to your health bar, but you didn't actually need to be human. You could just pop 10 humanity (the bonus caps at 10) and not reverse your hollowing. I like that people at least comment on it (sometimes) in DS2.

The multi-ironclad area in the forest of fallen giants is actually an optional late-game area. I got crushed the first time I checked it out, too, for what it's worth.

Figuring out your way around isn't supposed to be "hardcore," it's just an open world type feel. Unfortunately, I've never really liked their design in that sense; they're really bad at conveying a 'this is the way you're supposed to go' feel in their games. On the other hand, it's not really a game where you're supposed to know where you're going. You're a lost undead in a confusing place for reasons you don't know or understand. Lore-wise, that game design choice fits.

I suspect you're talking about a Soul Vessel, an item whose actual description is:

"A vessel that will accept your souls.
It can allow reallocation of levels, but without proper assistance, it may simply drain you of souls.
If you truly wish to start again, go to the place where your journey began."

That's considerably more descriptive than you let on, and pretty plain: go to the place where your journey began. Where did your journey begin? The women in red. Tada.

The game definitely has problems, but you seem to be exaggerating them pretty badly. Just sayin'. >.>
◕/◕'s

Inkidu

I think the game's difficulty tends to exaggerate any flaws it has. Also, where the heck did you  get that description because I looked up soul vessel in both the inventory and the equip screen and all I got was, "Show this to a certain person and..."

So honestly, if there are more verbose descriptions out there, I'm not seeing them.

Also, one really stupid mark against the game is its lack of any real pause feature. Dark Souls II: Screw You if to Take a Piss or wipe your hands off in a boss fight.

Shjade

It doesn't have a pause feature because it's a multiplayer game, always online, same reason you can't pause World of Warcraft or Team Fortress 2. If you want to be 100% safe, port back to Majula.

For the Soul Vessel, open your inventory and highlight it with your cursor. Then read what the buttons at the bottom of the screen say they do. Specfically, the square button (if you're on PS3; no idea what it is on Xbox) says, "Show item info."

*pushes square*

Soul Vessel
A vessel that will accept your souls.

It can allow reallocation of levels,
but without proper assistance,
it may simply drain you of souls.

If you truly wish to start again,
go to the place where your journey began.
◕/◕'s

Inkidu

Yeah I thought about that after I posted the sentence. I'm trying to find the fun in it. I sank money into this, but honestly, like its predecessor, it's about a twenty-five dollar experience. It's one of those games that's not fun until you've beaten it once and learn all the tricks and proper order of things. I stand by my statement that there is no game in Dark Souls 2; there's only the metagame.

Drake Valentine

Actually you are also 100% safe if you are resting by a bonfire(and by resting I mean having the bonfire menu up and actually sitting down next to it.) Pretty certain on this, since enemies are reset and the fact that you can't rest at a bonfire during invasions, so they serve as a 'pause' button... Unless you are doing a no bonfire run, then... Well. >.>

Majula is a dangerous place I hear, with baby pigs that feast for your very blood, flesh, and souls.

Inkidu

They're not worth killing. I'm a little ticked I think No-Man's Warf is the only place I can go. I think I've thoroughly searched all the areas I can, but I died when I got on the ship, so there's a long-ass backtrack ahead of me. Sheesh. The are isn't hard as long as you watch your step. They hit me with a firebomb and then I got hit on all sides. :\

Drake Valentine

Yea, be sure you clean them out on the docks and in the water, just don't get too close to the cave thing in the water cause there are two of those dark monsters that will attack you. On the docks they are all clinging to it, almost hidden unless you look down and see their hands and head. If you go straight for the ship and start fighting, they will all ambush you from the docks, this has happened to me. I was all WTF to see a trail of enemies running towards the boat.

ALSO. You can almost eliminate most run ins with those dark weird creatures if you have a Pharoh Key, there is a place around that stairway(I believe) for a key slot that will light the entire area up, which will drive away the dark monsters and limit them from going into the open. Torches also drive them back.

Inkidu

Quote from: Drake Valentine on April 14, 2014, 12:47:13 PM
Yea, be sure you clean them out on the docks and in the water, just don't get too close to the cave thing in the water cause there are two of those dark monsters that will attack you. On the docks they are all clinging to it, almost hidden unless you look down and see their hands and head. If you go straight for the ship and start fighting, they will all ambush you from the docks, this has happened to me. I was all WTF to see a trail of enemies running towards the boat.

ALSO. You can almost eliminate most run ins with those dark weird creatures if you have a Pharoh Key, there is a place around that stairway(I believe) for a key slot that will light the entire area up, which will drive away the dark monsters and limit them from going into the open. Torches also drive them back.
Eh, more worried about the pirates (what I'm calling the tougher hollows than average, they like curved swords). The dark creatures aren't a problem. I just need those souls.

I wish I knew what I was supposed to be doing. The lady wants for great souls. I've got four unique souls (Last Giant, Pursuer, Dragon Rider, Old Dragon Knight or whatever it's called). Obviously those aren't what she's looking for... the bitch...

Drake Valentine

She is pretty vague there.

The great souls are the Lost Sinner.. The other three I forgot their names. Great souls are often followed after a primal bonfire that will warp you back to Majula. They are mostly the key items to progressing through the story.

Also the large boss souls you acquired can be later traded to certain NPCs for unique weapons. Or you can use them for EXP, which I never really did. Some of the acquired weapons are really good, such as the Dragonrider Bow, which is probably the best range bow in the entire game.

Inkidu

You know what I think my big barrier with the whole Dark Souls series is? I don't feel like I'm getting anywhere. There's no sense of progress. I mean by what metric am I supposed to gauge my success?

Kythshera

I recently beat DS2 on NG+6 and I can safely say that I'm not bored at all :) PVP in the BoB is really my strong suit, and I'm proud to say that I'm almost a R3.  My build is (or was) CMW Moonlight GS.  Pretty much two hits people through shields and such.