FOX news proves, once and for all, that they have no ethics or soul.

Started by Sel Nar, June 29, 2013, 01:50:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

The thing is, the idea that being 'special' equates to 'self-entitlement' goes completely against the entire philosophy of the show.  Mr. Rogers started every show asking his viewers to 'be his neighbor'.  If you go to the dictionary, the word 'neighborly' is defined as:

QuoteDefinition of NEIGHBORLY
: of, relating to, or characteristic of congenial neighbors; especially : friendly <a neighborly welcome>

Synonyms
    amicable, bonhomous, buddy-buddy, chummy, collegial, companionable, comradely, cordial, genial, hail-fellow, hail-fellow-well-met, hearty, matey [chiefly British], friendly, palsy, palsy-walsy [slang], warm, warmhearted

True, we've probably all had neighbors that weren't neighborly, but in Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood, neighbors were.  The postman was someone to greet with a smile and a 'Thank you'.

[noembed]People made mistakes and still loved each other.[/noembed]
[noembed]People could get mad and still be friends[/noembed]
[noembed]And it wasn't just that you are special - everyone else is too.[/noembed]

(With the last clip, keep in mind that Fred Rogers existed before many people had even heard of gender dysphoria.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Trieste

Quote from: Kythia on July 03, 2013, 06:31:59 PM
But it seems clear that he's a much loved figure within the US.

Mm. Difficult to explain the relationship between Mr. Rogers and the people who watched him. Take the nostalgia of childhood television and ... I want to say you should double it. Here is someone that a lot of kids sat down with before they were even old enough to go to school and spent mornings with (at least, it was on in the morning where I was...?). He was the dude that you were positive would be able to fix anything, at all, ever, and I know people who wished like hell he was actually their neighbor. I'd imagine that for kids who didn't have someone like that, he was a little bit of an uncle-surrogate. I've known people in the past to say "Dude, he was like my pretend-dad or something!"

I wish I had better words for the emotional attachment that people have described having to Mr. Rogers. I have a fairly tight-knit and large family, and even I would occasionally wish I could talk to Mr. Rogers, usually when I had managed to piss off everyone else in my family. >.>

Oniya

Yeah - when I was looking up those YouTube videos, I - aw hell, I'm misting up now just remembering looking up those videos.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

TaintedAndDelish

Ok, so I got 3 minutes or so into the FOX clip before my ears began to bleed. I really wasn't sure if they were joking or if they were really that stupid. I'm leaning towards the latter as most of their news is shallow, skewed and poor quality - though I could certainly be wrong.

For those who had never hear of him, I suggest looking for a few episodes of his show on youtube (below for convenience) and judging for yourself. The shows all followed the same, simple format for the most part. Its painful to listen to him as an adult because he talks slowly and discusses infantile topics, but its targeted at small children, not adults.

As for his religious convictions, I don't recall him ever trying to push any religious crap on his show.. but then again, that was a VERY long time ago. It's quite possible that I forgot something... but I doubt it. He could have been a satanist, scientologist or a card carrying commie for all I know. It doesn't really matter what he was as he kept his convictions to himself. He might have said the g word or something... but that's not a big deal. It wasn't noticeable.

Mister Rogers - You Can Never Go Down The Drain

Mister Rogers - Everybody's Fancy

Dang, this leg just doesn't look right here.... Ah well..

meikle

QuoteThis is all about Anti-Fox hysteria, liberal frothing and hand-wringing. Get over yourselves.
I think this line is funny or maybe kind of ironic.
Kiss your lover with that filthy mouth, you fuckin' monster.

O and O and Discord
A and A

Oniya

Okay, this particular scene has been going through my head for the past 48 hours, and I feel I have to share it with everyone here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=LCR1H89tELA#at=47

(That's not actually Mr. Rogers in the voice-over.)

Beguile's Mistress

I love the facial expressions in that piece.  It always makes me laugh.

Oniya

Hanshateki

Why do you all take time to discuss FOX news? I can understand why you hate them. I do too, but why fuel them by constantly talking about them. It only feeds their power.

Trieste

You're posting in a thread to discuss how you dislike other people discussing something that they dislike.

I'm not sure if you're being ironic on purpose or if you just stumbled into it. ::)

ShadowFox89

Quote from: Trieste on July 14, 2013, 02:02:10 AM
You're posting in a thread to discuss how you dislike other people discussing something that they dislike.

I'm not sure if you're being ironic on purpose or if you just stumbled into it. ::)

Quick, someone fetch the inception button!

I hid it under this poster of Bill O'Reily. You have to hit the nose to use the button.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Wicked Vixen

The three sexiest things ever said...

"I believe that whatever doesn't kill you..simply makes you.......Stranger...."

"You see, madness, as you know....,is like gravity.....All it takes is a little push......"

"Since distance equals velocity times time, let's let velocity and time approach infinity, because I want to go all the way with you."

Trieste

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on July 14, 2013, 03:31:34 PM
Quick, someone fetch the inception button!

I hid it under this poster of Bill O'Reily. You have to hit the nose to use the button.

Better be with a hammer. ;D

Ephiral

Quote from: Trieste on July 18, 2013, 07:35:17 PM
Better be with a hammer. ;D
I was going to suggest an orbital strike. It's the only way to be sure.

(Kidding, dammit. I'm a pacifist by principle.)

Oniya

Boffer weapons.  All of the tension relief, none of the medical bills.