Two evangelical christian voters...

Started by Vekseid, October 20, 2008, 08:17:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vekseid

I am filled with both hope and despair at the same moment : /

Oniya

I was anticipating the words "...walk into a bar."

I'm still in migration, so I can't listen to them (speaker and memory issues), but the woman on the bottom looks reeeeeally scary.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Apple of Eris

Dear god, what an ugly individual. And I don't mean her appearance. Makes me wish more people DIDN'T vote.
Men are those creatures with two legs and eight hands.  ~Jayne Mansfield
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, then call whatever you hit the target. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Inkidu

Well Christianity might make you a better person, but there's no guarantee that it supposed to make you smarter. Sigh.

God and politics just don't mix. God and values and morals sure. God and politics... never.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Sabby

Please excuse my very unSabby reply, but fuck off bitch.

Trieste

Because I love Oniya, I present the following:

Quote from: First Vid
Interviewer: Do you ever pray for Obama to win?

Woman: No. What I'm praying for, personally, is good judgment for myself, you know, to be able to be open-minded, to be able to really listen, to be able to be passionate about what he stands for, or what anybody stands for, so that's what I think. I am indeed way definitely voting for Obama.

Interviewer: Even though McCain has a woman on the ticket?

Woman: Yes, well, you know, I, thank God, am a woman who actually thinks through things and I'm not just doing a knee-jerk reaction by saying "Oh my God, she's a woman, I'm going to vote for her". I have respect for the kind of job that she did in Alaska although I wasn't there so I don't know how she governed, but I can tell you right now that her as the vice presidential candidate would be like me running for vice president, which is absolutely, insanely absurd. I don't think she has the experience. I think it's actually rude of McCain to put her in this position because she doesn't know what she's talking about. She's fumbling around, they're giving her cue cards, and it's getting embarrassing, and as I watch her being interviewed she looks like she's a deer in headlights. I actually feel sorry for her. I don't think it's fair to put her in this position.

And especially! My God, Heaven forbid, if McCain won and then he died, and then she became president that is to me the biggest nightmare that could ever be imagined for this country.

Interviewer: Does it scare you about Obama's rumours, about links to terrorism and his supposed Muslim background?

Woman: Absolutely not. I think that's absolutely absurd. I think that's just a smear, you know, campaign by the other side. I think that's ridiculous and very honestly, I don't like these tactics, you know, saying "Oh, he's a terrorist" or "This person's this or that or the other thing". I think it's ugly and I think they should just keep this out of it. I think that what they should be talking about are the issues, what they stand for, what they're gonna do, how they're gonna change, what they're gonna do for the American people. I mean, that's what's important.

Interviewer: You don't think Palin's religion is important, either?

Woman: Well, I am personally an evangelical Christian. I love Jesus. He's my guy. And when I heard that she was an evangelical Christian, I'm gonna be really honest with you, and I'm being judgmental right now which is not very Christian of me. However, I'm going to do it anyway, sorry, God. But I, when I saw her speak for the first time at the Republican National Convention, I was actually kind of horrified only because to me, she didn't really exhibit Christian values. I mean, she didn't seem very nice; in fact, she seemed snide and nasty, so no. I once again, and I'm not saying that other evangelical Christians aren't doing the same, but I am not going to vote for someone just because they're Christian or just because they're pro-life or just because they're against gay rights, which I'm not saying that that's my stance.

But I actually feel that people should be really thinking. Christians should be thinking, and the other thing that really bugs me is that a lot of evangelical Christians decided that they were going to vote for Bush and they cast that vote. One reason was because they really felt that God, or Jesus, was saying that Bush was the guy and he was going to deliver the goods for this country, which in my humble opinion - which is not so humble - I don't think. I think that he's been horrifying for this country and I think that a lot of Christians have become really embarrassed by their choice, by voting for Bush just because he was a quote endquote Christian.

But right now, what I think everybody's ignoring is the fact that Obama is a Christian. Biden's a Christian. They're all Christians! But it's not about whether they're Christian or not, it's about what they believe in. It's about what they're for, what they're going to do for the country, and also, to me, it's about their heart and, like, how much integrity do they have? Are they flipping back and forth like McCain is all the time? Is he saying one thing to one group and then saying something to another group just to get elected? I don't think that that's what it's about.

I think it's, you know, Obama stands up there and I look into his eyes and I really go deep into my heart and I ask then, 'Is this an honest man? Is this a man with integrity?Does he believe in what he has to say? Does he love God? Does he love Jesus?' and what I say and what I come up with in my heart is 'Yes', so I'm going for the guy. You know, and I'm not saying that I believe in everything that he stands for. You know, I, personally, would never have an abortion. I believe that life starts at conception, but I'm not going to vote on a single issue. As an evangelical Christian, I just can't do it in all conscience, because I really believe that the right to choose lies with the person. Not with the government, or not with me just because I have a different opinion. So that's why I'm voting for him.

Quote from: Second Vid
VO: While Shawn is wrestling with his decision, his wife Tracy firmly supports the McCain/Palin ticket, so we wanted to hear from her as well.

Interviewer: What's the most important issue for you in this election?

Tracy: The one who has the most faith in the Lord.

Interviewer: That's make or break for you?

Tracy: That should be make and break for everybody.

Interviewer: And when you hear people saying "Well, we understand your faith but what if you're going to vote against your husband's interests as an American worker?"

Tracy: The Lord will take care of us. That's the way I look at things.

VO: For Tracy Curly, this election is not so much about policies as it is about values. She says she doesn't feel like Barack Obama shares her conservative religious worldview.

Tracy: I can't imagine having a president of the United States being named President Obama. I really have a problem with that, and I am not the only one.

Interviewer: Because that means what to you?

Tracy: His background. (laughing) A mother that was a atheist. Oh, that really gets to me. A father that was a Muslim. That should get to everyone.

Interviewer: And when Barack Obama and his wife Michelle say 'But we're faith-based, we're Christians'?

Tracy: The church they were members of? That's not the Christianity I know. That's not the Christianity that's in the Bible.

Interviewer: And so, for you, you are firmly decided.

Tracy: Definitely.

Interviewer: And what do you say to your husband, who is still on the fence?

Tracy: I will pray for him. He knows what the right decision is.

I will just be brief and say that it's really not fair to put someone so eloquent up as voting for Obama, then put someone so entirely ineloquent up as the conservative side. There is eloquence on both sides.

Moondazed

Religious zealotry is scary as hell, no matter what religion.  The scariest part?  "God will take care of me."  WHAT?!  Why don't you use the brain your God gave you and think for yourself?!  Because it's easier to be a lazy ass and 'put it in his hands'.  People of that ilk disgust me and give Christians a bad name.  They're right down there with the rest of the scourge of Americans who don't take personal responsibility for their lives, vote based on one single issue, and/or don't think beyond their own immediate gratification.
~*~ Sexual Orientation: bi ~*~ BDSM Orientation: switch ~*~ Ons and Offs ~*~ Active Stories ~*~

Inkidu

If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

The Overlord

Quote from: Inkidu on October 20, 2008, 09:55:32 PM
Well Christianity might make you a better person, but there's no guarantee that it supposed to make you smarter. Sigh.

God and politics just don't mix. God and values and morals sure. God and politics... never.

In this case Christianity didn't make her a better person either, she's a fracking bigot and uneducated trailer trash, let's not pussyfoot around and worry about PC.

Unlike what she claims to have, I don't have a religious code so I'll come right out and say, I wish nothing but ill on people like her. If and when something calamitous occurs, I would like to know her misguided faith left her praying in vain as whatever it was took her out.

It comes down to something that there's a good chance she doesn't believe in: Evolution.

How many of you heard the old joke about this?

Guy is in his house as the flood waters are coming, and start pouring into his first floor...he goes upstairs to wait it out. A bit later he spies a boat going down the street, and the men in the boat wave to him.

"Come on...we'll take you to dry ground!"

To which the man replied, "No no, the Lord's gonna save me."

The waterline comes up to the second floor, and he retreats to his attic, watching the rains continue from a window there.

Second boat comes by, a rescue offer is made.

"No no, I'm fine, the Lord's gonna save me."

Water reaches the roof, and now the man has climbed up on the gable, and eventually a third boat comes by.

Once again. "No Sir, the Lord's gonna save me."

An hour later only the gable and the chimney is sticking above the torrent, the latter of which the man is clinging to. A rescue helicopter comes by and pulls into a hover. Once again the man refuses, watching the crew fly off.

A bit later our overly faithful man arrives at the gates of heaven, where he does indeed meet the Lord. Of course he's compelled to ask God why he did not save him. To which a flustered creator replied, "Whatever are you talking about, fool? I sent three boats and a helicopter!"

Get in the boat, bitch! >:( >:( Use that oversized mammalian cerebral cortex that the Lord gifted you with; he might have said he is your shepherd but he didn't want mindless sheep. I'm not even Christian and I remember that somewhere it was said that God helps those that help themselves...even Noah got his hands dirty.

But I really do like the Terminator and X-Files versions best... No Fate But What We Make. Fight the Future.

The Founding Fathers separated church and state for a reason...here ya' go, this is why.

Oniya

Quote from: Trieste on October 20, 2008, 10:09:08 PM
Because I love Oniya, I present the following:

*blushes*  Although I will say that I'd gotten the correct impressions from the still-shots.

I don't think it's a matter of Obama v. McCain in this one, but like Overlord said - 'I sent you three boats and a helicopter!'  (Or as my mother-in-law's joke goes, 'Isaac, Isaac - buy a ticket already!")  There are scary fundamentalists in every belief group, and you could swap out the names of the candidates and issues until the cows come home.  The deliberately-ignorant faithful will still look just as scary, and those that strive to know will still look just as rational.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

RubySlippers

Quote from: moondazed on October 20, 2008, 11:24:45 PM
Religious zealotry is scary as hell, no matter what religion.  The scariest part?  "God will take care of me."  WHAT?!  Why don't you use the brain your God gave you and think for yourself?!  Because it's easier to be a lazy ass and 'put it in his hands'.  People of that ilk disgust me and give Christians a bad name.  They're right down there with the rest of the scourge of Americans who don't take personal responsibility for their lives, vote based on one single issue, and/or don't think beyond their own immediate gratification.

She reminds of a homeless family in our family mooching off everyone they said God will provide. Well I was raised in the Christian faith sort of ,my father is a Anglican and my mother a Quaker, and the Bible is full of passages promoting the value and desire of God people work. And I work hard. I work in schools to earn a degree, I work a few part-time jobs even if sometimes its lowly work like selling hot dogs on Saturdays on the beach. Work is work. I remember they had a homeless man washing windows for some pocket money people had, not bothering traffic just had a sign and if someone waved him over he washed their windows. I told these dummies at least HE was working and apparently making decent money most people gave him a dollar and he did a great job.

So that is just stupid I think God ,if he exists, supports people who try hard and sometimes need help but often by being given them opportunities to work. My cousin who heads the family I went out of the way with my hot dog company manager to give him a full-time cart and he refused saying God didn't say it was ok. What!?!?!

To add though people in this country have a right to vote for people for any reason even stupid ones, that first woman was smart and I know their are smart conservative Christians but she was just scary on the second one.

The Overlord

Quote from: RubySlippers on October 21, 2008, 11:00:36 AM
that first woman was smart and I know their are smart conservative Christians

And thankfully there are. I think she pushed the 'God thing' a little too hard, but she gave a convincing and analytical argument and I respect her for her stand on this.