IE 6, how do I hate thee, let me count the ways...

Started by Vekseid, September 18, 2008, 12:35:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canuckian

Revolverman

your very welcome man

(wants his huge ass monitor as thanks :P )

Canuckian

Oh HELL no :P

I paid almost twice as much for my TV than I did for my car.  That should tell you where my priorities lie :D

Revolverman

Quote from: Canuckian on September 24, 2008, 04:15:30 PM
Oh HELL no :P

I paid almost twice as much for my TV than I did for my car.  That should tell you where my priorities lie :D

hey, I use a bicycle instead of a car :P

Oniya

Quote from: Vekseid on September 24, 2008, 03:12:27 PM
XP is still being sold until January of next year as OEM, and is immensely more secure than 2K.

Alternatively, there is Linux. I'm growing to like Debian + xfce.

ThankyouThankyouThankyouThankyouThankyouThankyouThankyouThankyouThankyouThankyou!

*collapses*

Seriously, I've been holding out on an upgrade for financial reasons, and I've seen all the problems my husband has had with Vista.  Now I know how long I have to snag XP.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Canuckian

QuoteThankyouThankyouThankyouThankyouThankyouThankyouThankyouThankyouThankyouThankyou!

You're welcome  ;D

King_Furby

Yuck can't stand firefox honestly. I hate having to wait for it to fricken upgrade, which is all the time.

I seen something on the first page about IE7 causing problems? what kind of problems? Just wondering.

Xillen

Quote from: Vekseid on September 24, 2008, 03:12:27 PMXP is still being sold until January of next year as OEM, and is immensely more secure than 2K.

It's not the security that bugs me. It's all those things that XP does by itself.

I'm the owner of my computer. My OS is not the owner. Hence I should be the one allowed to make the decisions.

Vekseid

Quote from: Xillen on September 25, 2008, 03:32:59 PM
It's not the security that bugs me. It's all those things that XP does by itself.

I'm the owner of my computer. My OS is not the owner. Hence I should be the one allowed to make the decisions.

I'm not sure what you're referring to? Vista fits that description, but XP Pro is rather easy to switch back to 2K mode.

Quote from: King_Furby on September 25, 2008, 03:25:19 PM
Yuck can't stand firefox honestly. I hate having to wait for it to fricken upgrade, which is all the time.

I seen something on the first page about IE7 causing problems? what kind of problems? Just wondering.

I have no idea what you are talking about. How often do you run Windows update? Or do you let it force-reboot your computer?

Firefox 2 has had 17 updates in 23 months. Firefox 3 has had 2 updates in 3 months. In all cases, the amount of time I spend upgrading between point revisions on all three machines and four OSes is effectively zero, as I just have to restart Firefox.

-Plugin- updates occur all the time, but even that doesn't take very long, then again I'm on Broadband.

IE7 is the only major 'modern' browser that is not Acid2 compliant, can't handle a lot of simple tasks like using javascript inside an element to modify that element, etc. -Highly- irritating, but not quite as bad as IE6, and Firefox 2 shares many of the issues.

Canuckian

King_Furby

the plugin updates just anoyed the living heck out of me. they were too common. sure they went by pretty quick but the plugin updates had to go first before you could browse. i just want to hop on the internet and do what i want to do. firefox isn't my thing.

But if i had to get firefox to play on elliquiy i would, but i would not be too happy.

Vekseid

...what, pray tell, calls upon you to install a gazillion updates?

I have all of... one... that isn't related to web development, that being Noscript.

Porphyre

Firefox almost never bothers me for updates, and I have 3 plugins installed. But seriously, if it's your plugins that force you to do frequent updates, and that's a hassle, just remove the plugins.

Windows XP on the other hand, is teh pwn. I love it. Tried linux, tried 2k, avoided Vista like the black plague of hyped of bullshit that it is, and realized that XP is great. Yeah, it has flaws, specifically with networking, but I will admit that microsoft actually produced something good with it.

Xillen

Quote from: Vekseid on September 25, 2008, 07:22:38 PMI'm not sure what you're referring to? Vista fits that description, but XP Pro is rather easy to switch back to 2K mode.

Graphic wise, sure. But there's so much stuff that XP does on the background, that I really dislike about it.

Also, I don't like forced user logons on computers that only use one user. That kind of extra crap bugs me out.

Vekseid

Quote from: Xillen on September 26, 2008, 10:45:07 PM
Graphic wise, sure. But there's so much stuff that XP does on the background, that I really dislike about it.

I can't think of anything in the pro version. You can turn anything related to that off (and it's sometimes needed), and SP2 is thoroughly more secure.

The home version has a lot of that crap, but then, it's the home version.

Also, I don't like forced user logons on computers that only use one user. That kind of extra crap bugs me out.

That you have to actually turn on manually. And you can use NT-style logons if you wish.

Porphyre

SP2 ain't more secure. That's all fluff. Never used it. Wouldn't consider it if not for the fact that Photoshop cs3 wants it for some stupid reason.

Vekseid

Quote from: Porphyre on September 27, 2008, 12:24:36 AM
SP2 ain't more secure. That's all fluff. Never used it. Wouldn't consider it if not for the fact that Photoshop cs3 wants it for some stupid reason.

It's quite a bit more than fluff. A number of hooks are no longer possible in SP2 that are possible in NT, 2K, and Gold/SP1, meaning hackers not only have an easier time getting in, they have an easier time staying there when they are in. These days a relatively small collection of scripts can solve just about any SP2 problem, compared to the trainwreck that was the original XP and SP1 release.

You might say that the firewall is rather basic, but most people don't need much.

And anyone using Linux, BSD, MacOS, etc. is outside of this discussion anyway.

Porphyre

I've never heard any mention of fixes to the core of windows to prevent hooks that's in SP2 and didn't come out as a patch for 1. I was under the impression it was nothing but this front end UI stuff for firewalls (which causes nothing but hassles by blocking things and giving little information on what and how to unblock, so people end up turning it off completely anyway). And I have looked into it, since my *coughs* copy of windows would take some effort to update.

It's the same thing I hear from friends of mine who work in networked environments. 30 computers all hooked up, all abused by constant web surfers playing games and downloading all kinds of junk, all run SP1 still because it makes no difference.

Vekseid

I fix computers for a living (well, part of a living), so it's something I notice on a more detailed level. There was an extended period where SP2 and reactions to it by various vendors caused issues.

But regardless, for the average person, it makes a world of difference. Of course, many people with vanilla or SP1 are not even aware they've been rootkitted, etc.

Greenthorn

Well I'm a dork and I always ask for trouble with my comp...I love betas!

Downloaded IE8 beta and the site looks great with it...except for right here...there's a wannabe scroll bar cutting my posting field in 1/2 *grumbles*

Greenthorn

Oh well..wait..nevermind...I just have to click "compatibility view" and it's all fixed!  (cool)

Rhapsody

Google Chrome is pretty streamlined, completely open-source and relatively stable.  It's still not as good as Firefox for streaming videos, but it's a nifty little browser nevertheless.
|| Games I Play||
Not Available for RP
|| O&O || Requests ||  A&A ||
Current Posting Speed: 1-2 times per week

Come to me, just in a dream. Come on and rescue me.
Yes, I know. I can be wrong. Maybe I'm too headstrong.