Looking for a Game to Play

Started by Inkidu, July 04, 2012, 04:25:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

I'm looking for a 4X (explore, expand, exploit, and exterminate) but sci-fi on a galactic scale. Maybe just sci-fi (Alpha Centuri, Masters of Orion that kind of stuff). I want to conduct conquest on a universal scale.

Hopefully something cheap that can be purchased brick and mortar.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Frelance

Take a look at FreeOrion its a 4x turn based game. Its a freeware game so its completely free. Its is still in development so it will be updated, I find it quite fun. Look into Sword of the Stars.
Evolution is an arms race

Inkidu

Quote from: Frelance on July 04, 2012, 10:31:05 PM
Take a look at FreeOrion its a 4x turn based game. Its a freeware game so its completely free. Its is still in development so it will be updated, I find it quite fun. Look into Sword of the Stars.
I got FreeOrion yesterday. I haven't quite figured it out. I guess I just like that about modern gaming or something. I'm rocking the latest version which is .4 or .41 something like that.

I just don't get how my colonized planets are supposed to be helpful, all they do is grow population. They don't research anything or build anything, or mine anything. Is it just a case of that there are a lot of "you have researched breathing" techs and I have to make it through a lot of useless per-requisite techs to get some buildings.

Plus, besides being slightly cheaper why do they have colony ships and colony bases (the later works in the system).

Anyway, I'm trying to figure it out. Lot of restarts. AI's a little predictable, but hey it's .4 :\

I saw Sword of the Stars, I'm going to see if it can be found brick and mortar. 
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Frelance

Quote from: Inkidu on July 05, 2012, 11:07:56 AM
I got FreeOrion yesterday. I haven't quite figured it out. I guess I just like that about modern gaming or something. I'm rocking the latest version which is .4 or .41 something like that.

I just don't get how my colonized planets are supposed to be helpful, all they do is grow population. They don't research anything or build anything, or mine anything. Is it just a case of that there are a lot of "you have researched breathing" techs and I have to make it through a lot of useless per-requisite techs to get some buildings.

Plus, besides being slightly cheaper why do they have colony ships and colony bases (the later works in the system).

Anyway, I'm trying to figure it out. Lot of restarts. AI's a little predictable, but hey it's .4 :\

I saw Sword of the Stars, I'm going to see if it can be found brick and mortar.

It took me a few games to figure out FreeOrion as well. Trust me the research tree used to be worse and as for the colony ships vs colony bases in previous versions a colony base could not leave the system it was built in and a base could be constructed on a planet that was hostile while a colony had to be on a planet that was habitable or slightly dangerous. I am not sure if that makes any sense and I am not sure if they have made the colony bases have to stay in system. Its been a little while since I played the game but I am running the same version as you.

Inkidu

Yeah, I'm reading there guide but I still haven't figured out how to focus, and some of these buildings only work if the planet is focused. Also, have trade routes been implemented?

Frelance

As far as I know trade routes have not been implemented.

For focusing all you need to do is select the planet you want to focus and then on the right side of the screen where you can see the planets population in the top row. you need to click on the double down facing chevrons that are second form the top. That will open a graph that shows how much of what the planet is producing. Above the graph on the left hand side there will be a box that has the icon for farming click the yellow triangle beside it and that will let you change the planets focus from farming to whatever you want it to be.

Inkidu

Quote from: Frelance on July 05, 2012, 11:25:58 AM
As far as I know trade routes have not been implemented.

For focusing all you need to do is select the planet you want to focus and then on the right side of the screen where you can see the planets population in the top row. you need to click on the double down facing chevrons that are second form the top. That will open a graph that shows how much of what the planet is producing. Above the graph on the left hand side there will be a box that has the icon for farming click the yellow triangle beside it and that will let you change the planets focus from farming to whatever you want it to be.
Ah, okay.

Since there's not trade routes I can't send surplus food to my outposts on asteroid belts and gas giants so I'm pretty much stuck to rocky planets (I always play as humans). :\

Part of the fun is trying to figure it out, but I sure wish they'd get it up to 1.0. :|

Frelance

Quote from: Inkidu on July 05, 2012, 12:08:47 PM
Ah, okay.

Since there's not trade routes I can't send surplus food to my outposts on asteroid belts and gas giants so I'm pretty much stuck to rocky planets (I always play as humans). :\

Part of the fun is trying to figure it out, but I sure wish they'd get it up to 1.0. :|
Ya I hope they update it soon, I think this update has been out for about four months. I found the game over a year ago and I have just gone back to it every once in a while. I will probably only sink a lot of time into it after they reach 1.0 . I made the mistake of trying out Blacklight: Retribution last night so that and slowly building in minecraft is what I will be doing for a while lol.

Revelation

Sword of the stars 1 & 2 Which are purchasable Here on sale for $13 in a bundle with other games and activate on Steam at the moment.

You can also look into Sins of a Solar Empire, Rebellion just came out recently which was a stand alone version of the original game with the content from both of its expansions. Its running for about $40, and I know its on steam, not sure about brick and mortar stores. I know neither of these suggestions can't seem to be bought at a gamestop, but I do hope I helped.

Inkidu

Quote from: Changingsaint on July 05, 2012, 12:18:43 PM
Sword of the stars 1 & 2 Which are purchasable Here on sale for $13 in a bundle with other games and activate on Steam at the moment.

You can also look into Sins of a Solar Empire, Rebellion just came out recently which was a stand alone version of the original game with the content from both of its expansions. Its running for about $40, and I know its on steam, not sure about brick and mortar stores. I know neither of these suggestions can't seem to be bought at a gamestop, but I do hope I helped.
Steam's no good. I can't keep it open for a download, I was only able to get FreeOrion because I was out on public non-school wifi for once. :\

Hemingway

Endless Space might be worth looking into. I got it, but haven't been able to try it yet. I'm not sure if it's available outside Steam, so that may be a problem, but words like "the best 4X game ever" make it at least worth looking into.

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on July 05, 2012, 05:53:41 PM
Endless Space might be worth looking into. I got it, but haven't been able to try it yet. I'm not sure if it's available outside Steam, so that may be a problem, but words like "the best 4X game ever" make it at least worth looking into.
Further proof Steam is no good. I just bought CiV: Gods and Kings and because my PC that can play it doesn't have a wireless card I can't get onto the WiFi to register it on Steam. Well, I missed Dad's birthday present, and his father's day present. So, I guess it's okay. :\

Sel Nar

Sins of a Solar Empire.

Trinity pack is 40$ and has the original game and both expansions, Rebellion just came out as a stand-alone and is available in Brick&mortar and online ordering.

HairyHeretic

SoaSE is fun, but it's not a 4X. It's more a space RTS.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Nazz

The only game I found myself enjoying a little that's remotely related to this would be DarkSpace. It's not really about trade, but more along the lines of a server for scenario battles like in an RTS, and a server of a constant universe where 3 factions fight over control for planets and such. There's pirates here and there too.

That's a horrible description, though...Just thought I'd throw this game out there in case you haven't heard of it. Look up DarkSpace and check it out if it sounds remotely interesting.
- - - - - - -
- - - - - - Ons 'n Offs - - - - - -
- - - Nazz's Storyboard (Requests) - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

(( Currently back in college. Stuff's gonna be a lot slower from me! ))

Inkidu

Quote from: Nazz on July 05, 2012, 07:35:43 PM
The only game I found myself enjoying a little that's remotely related to this would be DarkSpace. It's not really about trade, but more along the lines of a server for scenario battles like in an RTS, and a server of a constant universe where 3 factions fight over control for planets and such. There's pirates here and there too.

That's a horrible description, though...Just thought I'd throw this game out there in case you haven't heard of it. Look up DarkSpace and check it out if it sounds remotely interesting.
Single-player only, please. I figured my need to have as little internet as possible would exclude multiplayer, too.

In other slightly related news. I decided to put CiV and expansion on my laptop. Good news, it runs, badish news... it's not as great, but I still need to tweak it.

Sel Nar

Quote from: HairyHeretic on July 05, 2012, 07:24:04 PM
SoaSE is fun, but it's not a 4X. It's more a space RTS.

Yeah, but it Feels like a 4X due to the internal upgrade and planetary exploration system. Plus it does have the archetypal 'one more turn' feel to it, until you remeber it's real-time, and gloriously pour yourself into slaughtering your foes with a fleet of high-level capital ships (and, as of Rebellion, Super-massive 'TITAN' class warships)

HairyHeretic

I haven't played Rebellion, just the original.

I am thinking about having a look at that Endless Space one though.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Samael

Galacti Civilizations 2 Might be something for you.
Haven't played in ages, but IIRC it was single player, is modable, and it was pretty good.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galactic_Civilizations_II:_Dread_Lords

{2} Let's Play Galactic Civilizations II: Ultimate Edition
On & Offs | My Games | Apologies & Absences | Tumblr
Et comme des fleurs de glace, on grandit dans la nuit
La lumière nous efface, dans la noirceur on vit
Comme des fleurs de glace, on rêve et on reste unis
Des fleurs au cœur de l'insomnie

"Eisblume - Fleurs De Glace"

Inkidu

I looked, but couldn't find it in store. Galactic Civ was one of my first options. Damn thing had so many expansions that I thought for sure there'd be a ten or twenty dollar collection, but nope.

Hemingway

Well, to those who may be interested in Endless Space... I've been playing it for a little while now. I haven't really played a lot of 4X games before this. It is quite similar to Sins of a Solar Empire, but only on the surface. It's all turn-based, for one thing. In that, it seems to borrow a bit from Civilization, the way research is set up ( although it's arranged into separate trees rather than interlocking ones ). Combat is ... well, it's not exactly turn-based, but it's not real time, either. It's ... very cinematic, and you basically just choose the actions your ships will take through different phases of combat ( three in total ), and then watch.

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on July 06, 2012, 06:19:40 AM
Well, to those who may be interested in Endless Space... I've been playing it for a little while now. I haven't really played a lot of 4X games before this. It is quite similar to Sins of a Solar Empire, but only on the surface. It's all turn-based, for one thing. In that, it seems to borrow a bit from Civilization, the way research is set up ( although it's arranged into separate trees rather than interlocking ones ). Combat is ... well, it's not exactly turn-based, but it's not real time, either. It's ... very cinematic, and you basically just choose the actions your ships will take through different phases of combat ( three in total ), and then watch.
I keep hearing about that, but I have no idea how to get it. :\

EDIT: Found it, now I invariably hate it for being digital only. Guys, when I say brick and mortar I mean in store! I can't afford downloads over the freaking internet! That game looks to be at least half a gig or more. Stupid modern trends relying on an infrastructure that can in no way support what the trend demands it to support...

Sure

Endless Space isn't digital only, it's just digital only upon release. Brick and mortar versions will ship to the US near the end of August.

Honestly, I don't mind that: if you're capable of accessing faster distribution and instant updates you can get it earlier is basically how Endless Space works. I'm personally much more annoyed by companies that do the Diablo thing: The game can be downloaded but cannot be accessed until it's available in brick and mortar to be 'fair' to the stores.

I've been playing Endless Space (GS/4X whore over here >.>) since alpha, if you're curious about anything. I like it, but I'm also a GS/4X lover as I said.

Inkidu

Quote from: Sure on July 07, 2012, 08:42:46 AM
Endless Space isn't digital only, it's just digital only upon release. Brick and mortar versions will ship to the US near the end of August.

Honestly, I don't mind that: if you're capable of accessing faster distribution and instant updates you can get it earlier is basically how Endless Space works. I'm personally much more annoyed by companies that do the Diablo thing: The game can be downloaded but cannot be accessed until it's available in brick and mortar to be 'fair' to the stores.

I've been playing Endless Space (GS/4X whore over here >.>) since alpha, if you're curious about anything. I like it, but I'm also a GS/4X lover as I said.
There's no indication that it was coming out brick and mortar, because retail release (which is all they said) could me digitally or old-fashioned. Also, that doesn't mean that I'll actually get a physical copy of the game. Now they sell little slips of paper so you can download it digitally, how stupid is that. If you can download it digitally, why go to a store? Nonetheless, they're doing it. Now I've got to go through the whole rigamarole of finding out if my PC can even play it. They probably have some kind of online confirmation component which means it'll be nil on my desktop.

Sheesh... too much work... this is why I play consoles. Idiot proof. Modern trends in PC gaming are designed to make me hate it.

Hemingway

A good thing about Endless Space is that it's a ( very well-made ) indie title - at least according to Steam. And, accordingly, at launch the price was a third of the usualy price for a AAA game at launch. As for confirmation ... what I can say is that while Steam has given me two product keys for it, I haven't been required to enter either one ( I think one of them's for bonus content, so I probably should use that one, but ... I'm lazy ).