News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Mage: the Awakening

Started by Zeth, January 25, 2015, 05:41:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eternaldarkness

Quote from: laa on January 27, 2015, 04:15:12 PM
Eyyyj, I'm trying! T_T

'No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.'  :D
-Yoda

Zeth

Quote from: eternaldarkness on January 27, 2015, 04:07:30 PM
Let me in and I'll have a character done and things rolling very very quickly :D I'm not the type to waffle and wait on others, and would prefer to lead the way and get it done, and it seems like this group might need a motivator.

stormwyrm said you may have his slot. So you are in.

eternaldarkness

Quote from: Zeth on January 27, 2015, 04:34:06 PM
stormwyrm said you may have his slot. So you are in.

Awesome, i'll get a character and background done ASAP, pursuant with your guidelines.

Lockepick

@Zeth: I'm not sure your idea that WoD is where players tell YOU about the campaign is entirely correct. Even if this was a totally 'sandbox' game -- you still need to construct the sandbox for us. WoD is by no means free form, or a cooperative storytelling game. If you're looking for us to tell you what type of game we'd like to play in -- that's understandable, but I think the discussion might go smoother and faster if you gave us some options.

Perhaps this is uncommon -- but I usually design the cabal before designing my role in it. For example, if our Cabal is all about "Snatching up as much personal power as possible" -- I'm not going to play a gentle meek librarian scared of her own magic. Nor do I think six people coming in with an idea and character sheet are going to just HAPPEN to find something that binds them all -- at least not anything substantial.

That being said, do we want to be the "High Risk, High Reward Investigation Team"? The Mages who take the stupid risks and poke their noses where they don't belong, but just so they can be the first one to get their grubby mitts on whatever arcane secrets are out there? It's a pretty generic idea, but should work for anybody.
Like what you see? I am currently looking for new plots!

Detailed List of O/Os and Plot Seeds

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

Angie

That would actually probably work out. Angelo does have a slight overconfidence in his own healing abilities both mundane and magical.
Avatar is by Lemonfont. Will remove it if he asks me to.

Come check the Cyberpunk Images Thread!

laa

I doubt James would like that at all. He's slowly crawled his way up for a long time now, and he probably doesn't want to risk it all, even if the rewards are great. But, perhaps someone else in the group convinced him of it in some way?... Although convincing James of anything if he means differently isn't easy.

Lockepick

I appreciate the response, but offering a counter proposal would be more productive.

To continue offering up somewhat generic ideas though: We could be a group of mages on probation, either from a single crime or individual crimes; We could simple have a similar 'flavor' of magic (ie: we're all Taoists or Wiccans or Vodou Mambos); We could all be from the same Order.

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

Zeth

Right so I'm pestering locke on YIM! and he says the story teller is supposed to give you an overall plot.

So your Cabal is seeking the Sixth and lost Watchtower. Even among Mages some scoff at the 6th Tower, chalking it up as a myth. While others have their own theories on what happened to it. This thing is like the Holy Graal of Mages. Even finding a pieces or clues of it could lead to great reward and peril. I'm thinking your Cabal is "The Seekers" unless you want to go with BAMF like Angelo suggested. That was awesome.

Angie

"The Seekers" sounds a LITTLE too close to "Seers" for my tastes, personally. I'd like to stay away from anything that sounds like the Atlantean Orders primary enemies. Some ideas too: "Walkers of the Watchtowers", "The Lost Ones", anything that references we're looking for the lost Watchtower.

laa

Ooooh, I've read about that tower shortly on the wiki. That's a good overall plot. =P

Aaand I've gotten an idea.

I'm imagining some sort of meeting place for mages of all sorts. In the back of the room, a loud character can be heard talking, laughing, and flattering several mages to the best of his delight. Alas, he leaves the place with a uncertain smile. He didn't get what he want. What he wants is a group. What he lacks to get said group was motivation. That was when he met Angelo. During their conversation, Angelo mentioned something about a 6th tower - a mystery no one had been able to solve. This was the motivation he had been looking for! Slyly, he asked if Angelo wanted to go find it. "Even if it turns out to be false, what better way to make an entrance into the world of mages?"

With that hook, he somehow managed to scavange a small group. (Either over the course of days, weeks, or the like. Perhaps via help from others in the group)

And although James spoke loudly of this investigation, he just needed something to bait people. While he thought it to be cool, he himself thought the entire idea to be ridiculous - although he never said so to anyone, even if some might've gotten the same idea.

What'do'ya say?

Zeth

Consilium backing or independent? Consilium backing means the mages of Boston commissioned the group to find the 6th tower. While Independent means they're doing it on their own. Backing comes with the perks of some resources to represent the Consilium's investment, but you have a boss to worry about and may get pulled into local politics. Independent means no free resources, but no boss to report to or strings attached.

Angie

Considering how pissed off Faelean (Angelo's ex-Master) is, she may block him and anyone associated with him from getting Consilium support. Or, to be even more of a dick, she was the reason they have backing, but because of that, they get all the shit assignments that no one wants. This goes double if no one plays Free Council.

laa

My char would be against it. He wouldn't want to try to commit himself on something he barely believes in.

Zeth

Brave Earth, Muse, Lockepick, and eternaldarkness, what do you guys think?

Lockepick

I'm willing to roll either way in regards to whether or not we're officially hired by the Consilium or not.

I will say that if we're independently working on this task -- I will need some more confidence that the two already established characters are going to... play will with others. Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions, but the vibes I'm getting so far is that they'll cut my rope loose if it means they can climb the mountain first. Now if we're hired to work together, it's something my character is somewhat forced to deal with. If we're agreeing to work together, my character has less reason to work along side people that would throw him under a bus.

So with that in mind, I'd say that working for the Consilium forces less... cohesion in the group, which means it requires less cooperation in character creation.

laa

OOC, my main problem with working for the Consilium is, that it's a strange task for new mages to be asked to accomplish. Even if it was a way to dishonor the mages (AKA: Angelo's hater's revenge), it wouldn't be very dishonorable to not do what no one in history has ever done before or even thought possible.

Perhaps we could work for the Consilium in other fields instead of our overarching plot?

Angie

Lockepick: Angelo isn't going to screw anyone over. That goes against his morals. He's a dick, but as long as your goal doesn't cause direct harm to anyone else, he'd be more willing to help you out.

Lockepick

It's not an uncommon strategy of old academic institutions to put people on seemingly impossible quests to basically distract them. This could simply be a matter of us being assigned to something even the Consilium didn't believe would really pan out -- and then it does.

Or we can be independent -- I just think that requires us to actually like and trust each other. I wasn't getting 'likable' or 'trustworthy' from my first reading of the two characters, is all -- I also accepted I might be jumping to conclusions there. The notion of 'I'm out for personal power' usually means... well... personal power. Not group power.

I'm leaning towards an Acanthus right now, not sure on Order yet.

Angie

Yeah, Angelo is a bit more of a jerk when he doesn't have a group of people whose magic is fueled by positive emotions to balance him out. That being said, even though he wants personal power, he also wants everyone around him to be more powerful as well-the way he figures it, the more Mages and the more powerful Mages out there, the more Sleepers Awaken, and the weaker the Abyss gets. He could be wrong, but that's his goal.

BraveEarth

Okay Snow shoveling is complete. ;D

I have most of the fluffy details for my character, save for a name >.> might have a shadowname though Thinking Jessica. She's a student at Emerson who awakened fairly recently and her awakening was more shifting than enforcing to her character. Before she was kind of on the crossroads of life not really sure of what she wanted to do but was going somewhere. She had friends, dated, wrote poetry, very typical person so when she awoke she get more closed off just trying to balance things and having her entire perspective altered.

She's manipulative but tries her best to do it subtly, she finds direct manipulation a crude method, and often gets a bit AP prone when watching for the best of times for situations. Not to say she doesn't believe in force when necessary but it's very rare for her to start a fight. Also I'm thinking about having her a bit afraid of her power by making her a rather potent Awakening, ie spending 6 Merit to go up to Gnosis 3

As far as looking for the Lost Watchtower it's a bit of an esoteric goal that doesn't really work for her. She's more trying to get a handle of things so it could be that she gets swept into it but she wouldn't have any personal investment in the task.

laa

Good point about the distraction, aye.

My character is actually quite trustworthy. Or at least he seems like it. He's got a good share of dots in social skills, yeap. You could say he's the opposite of Angelo - Friendly exterior, selfish interior. Even then, he isn't the arbiter of evil. He often will stray away from obvious evil, such as physical or emotional harm, and tend towards the more lawful style evil. Think banker with self-interest in mind, cus' that's what he is.

Tearing down alliances is hence not his style of actions. He tends to be quite loyal towards those he counts as his allies and friends actually, think "banker's inner circle".

@BraveEarth:
Your character doesn't sound like one that'd be up for a lot of tasks at any rate. xP

Perhaps my character has persuaded you that using your powers will get you used to them faster, and that perhaps knowing about the sixth tower will bring you greater understanding of what has happened to you?

BraveEarth

Being cautious about them and not wanting to use them at all are a bit different. Let's just say she has been given a healthy fear of Paradox

laa

Anyway, the gist is that my character can help persuade yours to get a purpose if you want him to, aye.

Zeth

Quote from: BraveEarth on January 27, 2015, 07:25:04 PM
Okay Snow shoveling is complete. ;D

I have most of the fluffy details for my character, save for a name >.> might have a shadowname though Thinking Jessica. She's a student at Emerson who awakened fairly recently and her awakening was more shifting than enforcing to her character. Before she was kind of on the crossroads of life not really sure of what she wanted to do but was going somewhere. She had friends, dated, wrote poetry, very typical person so when she awoke she get more closed off just trying to balance things and having her entire perspective altered.

She's manipulative but tries her best to do it subtly, she finds direct manipulation a crude method, and often gets a bit AP prone when watching for the best of times for situations. Not to say she doesn't believe in force when necessary but it's very rare for her to start a fight. Also I'm thinking about having her a bit afraid of her power by making her a rather potent Awakening, ie spending 6 Merit to go up to Gnosis 3

As far as looking for the Lost Watchtower it's a bit of an esoteric goal that doesn't really work for her. She's more trying to get a handle of things so it could be that she gets swept into it but she wouldn't have any personal investment in the task.

Considering she spent all her merit points on Gnosis and has no money or a place to live, Jessica will need friends to mooch off of. Angelo has a sexy sanctum and James has business contacts that could get her a loan. Just saying.

BraveEarth

I was thinking that she would use her remaining Merit to point the boys in the direction of a Hallow where their Sanctum could be set up. IE helping take the share of Hallow darts for the Cabal