Whats your favorite game series?

Started by Destiny Ascension, November 03, 2008, 12:56:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destiny Ascension

Yar, is a simple question, no?[/russianvoice]

So yeah, what is your favorite video game series EVER, and why? Or a few of them...

Personally, mine is Metal Gear Solid. I've played all of them on the PS, Ps2, PsP and of course, the PS3. I've never played a second of Metal Gear I couldn't enjoy over and over, and I can even find fun in MGS compared to even modern titles. The mix of sneaking and shooting, with insanely dramatic story lines and complex, but also easy to understand plots make MGS more like a great book/movie than a video game, but also keeps that core sense of importance on every mission.

Added, the voice acting has never been less than extremely great, and the soundtracks really hit you deep with a sense of understanding for Snake's missions, and the pain that comes with them.

A very close 2nd is SOCOM US Navy SEALs for me. I've loved SOCOM ever since release on the Ps2. The single player, although kinda linear and limited, I think really defined the combination of stealth play and a great shooter. By far the best shooter in my opinion, the mechanics of combat for SOCOM have never fallen 2nd place to anything. With the multiplayer being the REAL breakthrough SOCOM made on the Ps2, and team work based styles, I never get bored with even SOCOM 1 and SOCOM 2.

Great visuals and sound, and compelling although limited single players added to the greatness of the online play. I was very skeptical about Slant Six's idea of Online only, and in reality I can't find differences in SOCOM Confrontation between SOCOM 2. Except the lack of a single player, and better graphics, plus way to many COD4 players(Grenades and GL's everywhere...holy crap you wouldn't believe it >_>). But that aside, I'm fairly happy about Confrontation, but its still hardly worth the long wait when they just come up with the limited amount of stuff in Confrontation. A few maps, most of which are based on previous schematics and, of course, the same guns, but unfortunately fewer of them, which is very displeasing. No SR-25 makes DA a VERY unhappy camper, I'm such a good sniper too :(

Anyways lol, favorite game discussions and stuff BEGIN NAO!
"Build courage when courage seems to fail, gain faith when there seems to be little cause for faith, create hope when hope becomes forlorn."
Andraste's flaming sword! I know where babies come from!

Chris Brady

You know, I'm more excited when I hear that there's a Breath of Fire game coming out than I am of any other.

Although I have a lot of other favourite games too...  Too many to list really.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Caeli

Fire Emblem. It's exactly my kind of game - challenge, adventure, fantasy, plot, beautiful art, and fantastic storylines. The Fire Emblem franchise is, by far, one of my favorite series of games. While it might not beat out other franchises in terms of graphics or perceived complexity of story, I've always loved the level of interactivity that can be achieved with other playable characters in the games.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Jay

Need for Speed is probably the only series where I have actively attempted to play every game.  I'm not even a fan of racing games.  There was just something about it that made it so different from the other racing games out there.  I think it is probably because it subconsciously reminds me of the good ol
Cruis'n series that I loved at the arcade.

Lady Annabelle

Quote from: Chris Brady on November 03, 2008, 02:03:58 AM
You know, I'm more excited when I hear that there's a Breath of Fire game coming out than I am of any other.

Breath of Fire 1 & 2 on the SNES are fantastic games.  Very underrated.

For me, I love the Final Fantasy series.  I have a couple of more as I really like Legend of Zelda and basically anything underneath the NIS/Atlus umbrella, but Final Fantasy are my home.

Of course, I haven't played them all, but I have played most of them.  I have played and beaten: I, II, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, X-2, Tactics, and Mystic Quest.  FFX is my favorite game of all time and I really like VI & IX.  RPG's are my favorite genre and for me, the Final Fantasy series is my favorite.  I love the stories, the characters, the little details and how I would put so many hours into each one and enjoy every single one.
All About Me  Where Am I?  Pixi's Twin  Miss Marguerite's Wife **True Girl Gamer**

"If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; But if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger: I should not seem a part of it." ~ Emily Bronte

"My heart beat so hard when I was near him, I feared he could hear my secret longing for him." ~ Destiny Vaestus

Oniya

Wait - is there a new BoF coming out?  I'm one of the few people I know that liked Dragon Quarter (although 3 and 4 were better RPGs, in my opinion) and I had the disturbing feeling that Capcom might have abandoned the series.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Avi

For me, it's a tie between Legend of Zelda and Call of Duty. (Odd, I know.) 

Call of Duty has always been a big series for me, since I've been a military buff since I was a little kid.  Since I'll never be able to join the army myself (messed up Achilles' tendons), CoD is about the closest thing I can get in video games.  And they are just EPIC.  Each one has at least one mission that is simply a jaw-dropper.  CoD 1 had Stalingrad, CoD 2 had Pointe du Hoc, and CoD 4 had Shock and Awe. 

Legend of Zelda is on here mainly because of sentimental value.  The first game I ever beat was a Zelda game (Link's Awakening), and each one in the series has improved.  I cannot wait for the next one.  Hopefully, they will be able to keep the quality high.  For those curious... my top 3 are Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess, and Wind Waker.
Your reality doesn't apply to me...

Chris Brady

Quote from: Oniya on November 03, 2008, 04:42:04 PM
Wait - is there a new BoF coming out?  I'm one of the few people I know that liked Dragon Quarter (although 3 and 4 were better RPGs, in my opinion) and I had the disturbing feeling that Capcom might have abandoned the series.

WOW!  The other DQ fan!  I thought I'd never find you!   ;D

And I have to agree, BoF3 and 4 were the high points of the series.  Despite the mangling and censorship of BoF4's story.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Inkidu

Gee I don't know if I could name one. I really don't.

No.

I can't ^w^;
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

PhantomPistoleer

Shenmue!  ::raises roof!::

Greatest game of all time.  I always feed the kitty cat pieces of wood, though (they look like bacon!).
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Lilias

Am I the only one here who only cares about pen & paper games?

Mage: the Ascension all the way. Even after Dark Ages came out, I still apply Ascension rules.

On the computer, just Sims. Because I don't think that my gazillion MahJong varieties or Cubis 2 count.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Chris Brady

I also have to many P&P games to list, and Lilas the title said 'series', and I understood that as a string of related games with similar names, something that P&P games don't normally do, ergo I chose video games.

But if I were to pick a favourite P&P game...  The closest would be Dark Heresy, but most of the others I have I want to run really badly too.  Except for the WoD series.

Oniya

I suppose one could say that Earthdawn and Shadowrun were a PnP 'series', and that would be my pick of the non-video nature.  Not because of the system (which requires a metric ton of d6's), but because of the storylines.  In a way, each of them could feed into the other cyclicly, with the rising magic leading in Shadowrun leading to the crisis that created Earthdawn (although the writers set ED in the distant past of SR. ;D)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Lilias

Quote from: Chris Brady on November 09, 2008, 11:43:50 AM
the title said 'series', and I understood that as a string of related games with similar names, something that P&P games don't normally do

Well... Ascension, Dark Ages, and the Sorcerer's Crusade spinoff - I think it fits the bill. Too bad they didn't consider a Victorian Ages chapter viable, like they'd done for VtM.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Belladonna

There are several video games series that I enjoy playing. But I must say the one which has easily become my favorites are Gears of War and Gears of War 2. Personally, I love the storyline behind the games. The location and plot are very unique, featuring plenty of suspense which keeps me on the edge of my seat. It is surely the ultimate thrill ride. In addition, the wide variety of characters is definitely enough to sustain my interest. These are individuals in which I have become instantly attached, due to either their personality or justification behind the decisions they make. Each person has his or her reasons, as to why they are participating in the war against the Locust. Some are engaging in this campaign for freedom, some are taking part for loved ones, some have no choice in the matter, while others exhibit ulterior motives. Regardless of the facts, the human race is at stake and everyone is fighting to ensure one thing - survival.

Aside from that the game play and excitement are intense. I completely adore the graphics and voice actors, who have done a marvelous job in breathing life to these characters. This also applies to the various assortment of weapons and different player modes, which are available. Other than the main storyline, my preferred choices are Horde, Execution and Wingman. Gears of War and its sequel are the equivalent to one large action film, unfolding before my eyes. Epic Games has truly raised the bar on this series and for the action-junkie like myself, it is more than enough to keep me entertained for hours.  ;D

magnamos

Definetly Fallout. I just love Fallout. It's sarcastic and cool at the same way. With Fallout 3 it's like a Dream come true. Exploring the wastes in First Person. I know that many Fallout Fans say that they're disapointed by Fallout 3 because it doesn't feel like Fallout anymore. It's partially true. Some Aspects changed very much but actually I think it's a more worthy successor to Fallout 2 than the originally planned Van Buren. A Semi-Roman Empire in the Nuclear Wastes? That would've been a little too much.

Many Story Arcs in Fallout play around people and groups trying to resocialize the barbaric wasteland or at least benefit from exploiting it. That's ok but I don't think that anyone would turn around and look into the past to rebuild a social community. It's more likely that things like the Enclave or the BoS happen. People who use the total Annihilation of the nuclear war to reshape mankind after there ideas and ideals.

Even if Fallout Tactics was a Spinoff I think the Idea that the smarter Super Mutants try to overcome there sterility by regaining lost knowledge of genetic manipulation is very good. It would be the next logical step. Throughout the Fallout Series there were always Super Mutants who tried to get rid of there Image of the Warhungry Monster and try hard to regain some of there past.
The Reaver were a nice Idea aswell. Fanatic Technocrats. They seem much like the Brotherhood of Steel just with more interest in Technology and less social motivation.

I think what makes Fallout so special to me is the changes. Things are constantly changing and influence each other. If you play another game it's a Main Quest and you can do some Sidequest which let you feel they're sidequests every second you're doing them, to improve your character a little and get less problems with the Mainquest. Fallout is different in that way. It's like a new game in every town and it's well elaborated so the Mainquest is almost forgotten if you start to play sidequests. The 60's Design with Sci Fi to it makes it also very special to me. I'm a big fan of these alternate Reality games (Like what if the 3rd Reich had won World War II and what if Magic was never Lost and stuff like that. Especialy Steam- and Dieselpunk)

Sabby

Grandia 2 was great... but I haven't played the 'series' so that doesn't count. Would have voted Halo trilogy, but I only really like the first... POP is out for the same reason. Uhmmm...

Guess I'm low on 'series' ^__^